KOMA Field Kit FX - CV Controlled Multi Effects Processor

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

djangelmonroy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by djangelmonroy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:44 am

Lot of features for that price :party:

Newbie question: a spring reverb tank is needed to use the spring reverb, right?

platform
Common Wiggler

Post by platform » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 am

It is but they are very easy to get hold of. No need to get the more expensive version of the Field FX if you don't want the rest of the extras.

I backed this and am really looking forward to it! I love any spring reverb!

Danielblomquist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Danielblomquist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am

more money gone...going to have to start selling shit....

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 am

[video][/video]

nullpunkt
Common Wiggler

Post by nullpunkt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:16 am

@Hainbach:

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Could you give some informations about the mobile power solution? Is it "just" a transformator for USB-Powerbanks which could be hook up to this thing or does it have its own internal batteries?
Visit DEFAULT MODE NETWORK on | Facebook | Soundcloud | Instagram | Vimeo | Youtube

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 am

nullpunkt wrote:@Hainbach:

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Could you give some informations about the mobile power solution? Is it "just" a transformator for USB-Powerbanks which could be hook up to this thing or does it have its own internal batteries?
Thx!
Its a transformator, so you can use any power bank with it. I never got 12V powerbanks to work with my stuff without noise issues, so this is pretty neat, even as a proto. Here are the specs:

Two independent power lines with the following specs:
-adjustable voltage for each line (9V or 12V)

maximum output current:
~1,2A @ 9V (up to ~2,4 A with two power banks)
~0,9A @ 12V (up to ~ 1,8 A with two power banks)
Those output currents correspond to 2.4A @ 5V at the input, which is the maximum output current of most power banks.

Input current consumption displayed with an LED Bar. Allows to safely use power banks with various output currents.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 am

Final outdoor video:

[video][/video]

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 am

I snagged the last of the non-eurorack and no extras packages this morning :nana:

Stefan that vid was awesome! You were using the frequency shifter on the tocante as well right?
I don't suppose you've tried intermingling with sidrax/coco/VM? Wondering what the CV range is on the field kit FX and if it will play nice with the C-L stuff.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm

chrisdermo wrote:I snagged the last of the non-eurorack and no extras packages this morning :nana:

Stefan that vid was awesome! You were using the frequency shifter on the tocante as well right?
I don't suppose you've tried intermingling with sidrax/coco/VM? Wondering what the CV range is on the field kit FX and if it will play nice with the C-L stuff.
Thx! For this it was just the Echo, got weird enough for that. I have a proto here, going to try it with the Sidrax. Voltage levels will probably be off though, as is usual with Ciat. But I hope have enough time tomorrow to put it through its paces.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 am

I would love to know about the ciat lonbarde integration as well that will really let me know if I'm going to get this
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm

@Hainbach

So with the Field FX unit would it be possible to...

Use the CV sequencer to “play” a four note passage by using the pitch shifter upon a one note sample held in the looper?

Edit: I don’t think this is possible as the looper and pitch shifter share the same I/O ports with a switch to select between them. ☹️
Beyond the sandbox

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 am

Hey Stefan, what power supply does the standalone field kit fx take? Is it a 9v or 12v? positive or negative tip?

How did it go with the sidrax?

tektoktiktak
Common Wiggler

Post by tektoktiktak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am

chrisdermo wrote:Hey Stefan, what power supply does the standalone field kit fx take? Is it a 9v or 12v? positive or negative tip?
9v as a standalone unit, negative tip
-/+12v when you use your eurorack psu
http://www.koma-elektronik.com

~
~
.---.
`---'=.
| | |
| |='
`---'

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 am

Will kickstarter backers be able to add the Strom Mobile usb battery power kits?
Beyond the sandbox

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Catmandeux wrote:Will kickstarter backers be able to add the Strom Mobile usb battery power kits?
That would be great! But is Strom Mobile in production yet? I don't see any mention of it on the Koma site.

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 pm

So.. who received theirs? :hyper:

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 am

bougie wrote:So.. who received theirs? :hyper:
Mine arrived late yesterday. Backer #79.
I’m in the states but it shipped only with a U.K. wall wart, and without an interchangeable socket. I may see if I can find a travel adapter. The wall wart was rated to supply 2A. :eek:

I didn’t have much time, so after locating an adequate power adapter and setting up the spring reverb, I started playing with it. I need to set aside some time to learn the sweet spots and go thru the various patches described in the manual. Having a mixer in something this tidy is very convenient.

Mine had a lamination defect in the plywood box that I’ll raise with Koma. The FX seems to wobble as if only two opposite corners are screwed down, but feels like the other two are not. I’ll likely be bouncing from stand-alone to eurorack, so perhaps less of an issue. Otherwise the wood box construction is very elegant. The button for the looper is very loose, but this may just be due to the switch design. Otherwise build quality is good and I like the LED colors for the CV bus routing. Wish it had a black panel eurorack option instead of eggshell white.

For some reason I thought it would ship with a battery powered option, but looks like box power is supplied by a 9V DC center neg, with 2A capacity.
Beyond the sandbox

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 am

Hmm, I think I'll be getting one of these. The demos seem very nice so far!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm

An update: Koma is shipping me a new box, with extra screws, and a US power adapter. Good customer service for a small company especially during Superbooth.
Beyond the sandbox

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu May 03, 2018 5:16 am

Catmandeux wrote:An update: Koma is shipping me a new box, with extra screws, and a US power adapter. Good customer service for a small company especially during Superbooth.
That's pretty solid customer service there!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

ArboriaAuralist
Common Wiggler

Post by ArboriaAuralist » Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am

Just received mine here in the UK (backer 249), but it has come with a US power supply. Thankfully I have plenty of adapters but considering Catmandeux got a UK PSU sent to the states, eh. :confused:

Haven't had a deep play with it yet, but my main first impressions is a bit of disappoinment in the build quality: some of the knobs are loose and wobbly whilst others are super stiff and rub against the panel. The phonos for the spring reverb are also loose and feel like they are at high risk of coming loose from the PCB. The looper button is super loose, and the fit and finish on wooden box is also much poorer than the original Field Kit.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 03, 2018 7:38 am

I ordered the Euro version, so I guess I don't have to worry about the wall wart.

I had a backer number in the early 80s, but mine is in postal/customs limbo where both DHL and USPS disavow any knowledge. The last time that happened was an order from Bastl, which spent four weeks off the radar and then was mysteriously returned to Bastl. :deadbanana:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

SoundPool
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SoundPool » Sat May 05, 2018 6:50 am

curious to hear more build quality reports as these roll out. I was pretty dead set on getting one, and while I don't expect anything astounding for the price point and the type of pots used (a little wiggle won't kill me) I don't like to put my money into things that might break in 6 months.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 pm

I tried these during SB18 and although I can't say I spent enough quality time with 'em, I didn't notice any let downs in terms of how they are built. My only issue was how hot the back of the case got, but Koma reassured me that they've tested thoroughly and heat is expected.

It's on my To Get list as soon as they're available for us non-backers.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I tried these during SB18 and although I can't say I spent enough quality time with 'em, I didn't notice any let downs in terms of how they are built. My only issue was how hot the back of the case got, but Koma reassured me that they've tested thoroughly and heat is expected.

It's on my To Get list as soon as they're available for us non-backers.
Fairly certain they're available, their store says they're in stock

Return to “General Gear”