KOMA Field Kit FX - CV Controlled Multi Effects Processor

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Astrolabe23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Astrolabe23 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:26 pm

I haven't received my field kit FX yet, but I have been using the original field kit since it came out and I have no complaints on the build quality. Feels solid and I have had no problems. I am looking forward to the new KOMA USB battery bank power option for these units too.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Their store says shipping in May. I asked, they're not available yet. They're sending 'em,out to backers and shops first.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu May 10, 2018 4:33 am

Anyone found the phaser mode easter egg yet?
Wondering how easy it's going to be to swap the cv ins for banana jacks.... I will attempt if it doesn't look like too hellish a job.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 10, 2018 7:42 am

starthief wrote:I had a backer number in the early 80s, but mine is in postal/customs limbo where both DHL and USPS disavow any knowledge.
It spent 18 days in limbo and then appeared suddenly in New Jersey Tuesday night. Still no ETA, but hopefully it'll show up in time for some weekend wiggling.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

arbee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arbee » Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 am

was a kind of late backer with #452. mine still haven't shipped but I'm pretty excited to see some people starting to recieve their device. kind of worried about the build quality questions coming in this thread. will see by myself what's up with that.

sundog
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sundog » Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Finding the FKFX seriously fun! Happy with the build quality of mine. This sketch is based on tweaking the frequency of an 0 Coast which is then fed into the FKFX - sample rate reducer/bit crusher, then delay and reverb.

http://www.soundcloud.com/sundog70/approaching

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 pm

I am loving mine so far. Had a cool little patch last night mangling radio station loops with the FK and FKFX. It's kind of weird that all of the FX output wet signal only, but it's not too bad with a couple stackcables. Easy to work around

My prediction (and hope) for the next move: Koma Field Kit CV, a little box full of envelopes, LFOs, sequencers, attenuators, and logic/utilities. I think it would work well within the FK universe

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 12, 2018 2:27 am

MrNovember wrote:I am loving mine so far. Had a cool little patch last night mangling radio station loops with the FK and FKFX. It's kind of weird that all of the FX output wet signal only, but it's not too bad with a couple stackcables. Easy to work around
You can use the mixer to add a dry signal, right?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Sat May 12, 2018 6:44 am

Field Kit FX arrievd, I'm backer #316.
Looks and feels good, like the first one.
Was always happy with the products of Koma and I'm happy to be part of this.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Sat May 12, 2018 6:47 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I am loving mine so far. Had a cool little patch last night mangling radio station loops with the FK and FKFX. It's kind of weird that all of the FX output wet signal only, but it's not too bad with a couple stackcables. Easy to work around
In the manual they do this by splitting the input of the FX (I guess with a stackable or a multiple) and then put both signals into the mixer.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm

got mine and have mixed feelings about it, its a bit too noisy for my liking, the bitcrusher is very sensitive, as soon as you move that knob it destroys everything. The delay past 12 oclock also gets very noisy too

On the other hand the SRR and pitch shifting sound very good and really like the cv interface, really good to destribute cv around. The sequencer is also very good and easy to clock with an external clock and its great to modulate stuff

The mixer is also very useful and its tone controls actually sound quite good

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Mine arrived and I have mixed feelings too.

Things that could be better:

-- The in/out spring tank connections seem backwards; I have to connect "TO" to "OUT" and "FROM" to"IN" on the two different manufacturer's tanks I have.
-- Wet/dry controls to reduce some need for mults/self-patching.
-- Separate feedback in/out for the DDL instead of a goofy TRS breakout. (I happened to have one I used for my Kastle, but it's a bit annoying to deal with and to remember which is the input and which is the out.)
-- A built-in limiter in the spring feedback path.
-- A fifth LED color for the Roll-O-Decks output for less self-patching, or better:
-- Replace Roll-O-Decks with separate mixer outputs to take advantage of attenuation and tone controls.
-- In fact, make it a matrix mixer with the outputs of the 3 FX normalled to 3 of the inputs. That would have been fantastic for feedback control! As it is, I'm thinking about whether it makes sense to shuffle things around so my A-138m is next to the FKFX instead of in a different case.

Things I like:

-- My first experience with spring reverb. :love:
-- The noisiness. It's what I was hoping for; I have plugins for pristine effects.
-- The mixer sounds good.
-- The overall character is great.
-- The panel looks sharp (makes me wish I had other white panels) and the LEDs look good. I believe the LED colors were chosen to be colorblindness-friendly.
-- It comes with a serious manual. How many Eurorack modules do that? :yay:

I'll have to live with it a while to decide whether to keep this or go for a Springray and a separate delay instead, but I'm leaning toward sticking with this one, warts and all.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Sat May 12, 2018 10:50 pm

ClausF wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
In the manual they do this by splitting the input of the FX (I guess with a stackable or a multiple) and then put both signals into the mixer.
Yeah exactly this. I'm using stackcables to mult it to the mixer. Would have been nicer with either a wet/dry control or a built in mult though. Not exactly a deal breaker either way, just a bit odd.

Also, I absolutely love everything else about it so far. The looper is a lot of fun, the frequency shifter is amazing, the delay and reverb both sound great, and the CV interface is phenomenal.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 12, 2018 11:09 pm

The more I mess with it and use it in patches (as opposed to just trying to learn the module) the less the downsides bother me.

As for build quality, mine doesn't seem to have any issues.

It's the only panel I have that's white, and it makes my aluminum panels and that greige Mantis case look kind of dim and dingy.

I tried a few things looking for the phaser easter egg mode. Holding down the looper button while turning the module on does something but I'm not sure what -- it might be a firmware update mode or there might be some button press combination after that which switches into phaser mode. When the code goes open source I guess it'll be revealed...

/\/\/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/\/\/ » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 am

MrNovember wrote: Not exactly a deal breaker either way, just a bit odd.
There were a couple of things about the original I found a bit odd, like the lack of cv control over rate or reset on the lfo, which would seem an obvious thing to integrate it with the other cv features, like the envelope follower etc. But i guess you can't have everything!

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Has anyone transferred the plastic waveguides from the stock panel to the eurorack panel?
Beyond the sandbox

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm having a lot better time with the spring reverb after dumping a Monoprice RCA cable for a Hosa. I think the ring connector wasn't making good contact since the jack is recessed a bit behind the panel.

I have a nice xylophonic forest patch happening now with Marbles, Rings and FKFX :zen:

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm

/\/\/\/\/\/ wrote:
MrNovember wrote: Not exactly a deal breaker either way, just a bit odd.
There were a couple of things about the original I found a bit odd, like the lack of cv control over rate or reset on the lfo, which would seem an obvious thing to integrate it with the other cv features, like the envelope follower etc. But i guess you can't have everything!
Yeah there are a few little things in both that are just a bit off. I feel like that's part of the fun and part of the challenge with the Field Kits.

crackleb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crackleb » Mon May 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Catmandeux wrote:Has anyone transferred the plastic waveguides from the stock panel to the eurorack panel?
It threw me for a minute, but you just push them out from the back of the panel.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Looking forward to checking this out.
Last edited by appliancide on Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Backer #234 here just received mine in Australia. No problems with build. Wooden box is very nice. Knobs are sturdy. Came with an AU power supply but the bloody thing is centre negative (grrrr). Manual is good. Patch cables are black and boring. Lights are nice on it. Kids don't know what gentle means when touching the spring reverb. Overall it's a fun box.

dandandan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandan » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 am

starthief wrote:
Things that could be better:

-- Replace Roll-O-Decks with separate mixer outputs to take advantage of attenuation and tone controls.
This is what I would have wished for as well. Except keep the Roll-O-Decks of course...

dandandan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandan » Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 am

So has anyone looked into altering the software? From what I gather the cv-bus is software controlled. Does this mean you could generate cv with code and send them out on the bus without using the inputs?

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Fri May 18, 2018 4:59 am

I'm enjoying mine. The sequencer is really useful and the delay and pitch shifter are great. It's intuitive, powerful and fun.

I've made some nice sketches with just FKFX and Moog Werkstatt - they work really well together.

Not getting on so well with the looper and the spring reverb. These seem a little bit compromised by quite noisy signals. Channel 4 is also a mystery to me. I should probably be more careful :)

Build: the assembler had given up on fastening a nut on one delay input - other than that, it's a characteristically good, solid build. Koma make great gear.

ArboriaAuralist
Common Wiggler

Post by ArboriaAuralist » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm pretty sure my wobbly pot issues are an anomaly, probably the assembler was down to their last dregs of solder on the roll. I'm gonna open it up and give things a tune-up this weekend.

Koma have also sent me a UK PSU, which is really nice of them! :tu:

It synergises well with the Field Kit. As for software hacking, I'm thinking of something like sequential switching CV sources at Roll-o-decks rate.

Return to “General Gear”