Motas-6 synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

spoor
Common Wiggler

Motas-6 synth

Post by spoor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:30 am

Via
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/10/new- ... sizer.html

http://www.motas-synth.uk/index.html

Interesting but can’t see a price. +1 for the oscilloscope

akairipper
Common Wiggler

Re: Motas-6 synth

Post by akairipper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 am

spoor wrote:Via
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/10/new- ... sizer.html

http://www.motas-synth.uk/index.html

Interesting but can’t see a price. +1 for the oscilloscope
here- http://www.motas-synth.uk/faq.html
wiggling without prejudice as to which credit card I scorch.

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm

no more posts about this synth?

I'd never heard of it before seeing it at the Leeds Modularmeets on Saturday but after trying it out and asking Jon lots of questions I have now ordered one. I thought it sounded unbelieavable and should be so much fun to program.

neuroportal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neuroportal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:34 am

I second that. Was just searching Muffs to see if anyone else had talked about this synth. It really was a piece of brilliant UI design and the sound was just awesome.

Don't think I have seen so many LFOs in one place.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am

...just read the specs - that is an amazing set of features. :party:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 am

Here's some new demos from Jon, the maker of the Motas 6:

I've got nothing to do with Motas but am really in love with this synth, The sound is very nice and there's great depth for sound design possibilities.

I've been working on getting fully to grips with this thing so I can demo it, I was thinking I'd start off making a short demo which shows off some sounds that'll give a good idea of it's basic osc / filter / env character etc but I'm not someone who'd usually do this kind of thing so anyone have anything in particular that they'd like to hear from this?

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri May 08, 2020 11:30 am

wth, this looks/sounds awesome and seems very unique!!
interested...
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Fri May 08, 2020 11:41 am

It is very very cool, Jon the designer is a very nice guy too, I asked if it would be possible to add microtuning and variable pattern length to the two sequencer lanes and within a month he'd done both! I've now asked him about a few other potential feature additions and he's looking into them, so you're getting a great long term investment out of this thing.

I'm sad to see this thing going mostly unnoticed as in my eyes it's one of the most innovative analog synths in recent years!

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Fri May 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Full review in last months Sound on Sound Happened to buy the paper issue as it had the matriarch review. The reviewer really liked it. I'd not seen menton of it before either.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 am

This has been on my radar for some time simply because every parameter has a lfo & env. Thanks for posting some demos, there isnt that many i could find 👍

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Sat May 09, 2020 11:03 am

I'm happy to record some sounds if there's any particular kinds of patches you'd like to hear, was thinking I'd do some basic stuff and then show some of the more extreme stuff it can do in a separate video.

I've been a bit busy with working and moving house but I'm going to start work on recording the demos soon.

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Sat May 09, 2020 9:03 pm

Very cool! not sure how this slipped under my Radar. Would be VERY nice to see some distribution in the US. I can have it shipped but have no idea what to expect in regards to tariffs, etc.

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Mon May 11, 2020 9:04 am

I’m working on the demo now and as I’m doing so I’m constantly blown away by the range of sounds coming out of this thing! Was messing around with filter feedback yesterday and it sounds amazing and then there’s so much you can do to shape that with it’s various gain stages and saturation / distortion options.

I’ll be sure to include a bunch of PM sounds (so much range here it’ll be hard to cover it all) and will do a range of basses / leads / pads etc…

I’ll probably do the first demo just showing the character of it’s various components (filters, osc, noise etc) as this was what made me most unsure about buying one of these in the first place; it was hard to tell what it’s basic character sounds like from the demos available at the time.

I made a couple more features requests to Jon the literally two days ago and he’s already got back to me on the first, letting me know that he’s figured it out and it’ll be in the next firmware update!

I’ll wait with mentioning the unconfirmed feature request but he’s confirmed this one:

It’s now going to be possible to set any lfo on the synth to track pitch giving the possibility of AM / FM aswell as a whole world of other audio rate effects! as expected, he said that as the lfo’s go beyond their normal Max speed, some aliasing of the lfo’s will occur especially with waves other than sine but that this in itself leads to very interesting sounds.

So anyone who was hoping for filter FM and sounds like that, it’s coming!

So far 3 / 4 of my features requests have made it onto the synth so I’m pretty confident the 4th one will make it too as Jon is a wizard!

For anyone considering the PRO 3 or anything like that, I really recommend you consider this too as I’m very happy I took the leap of faith with this thing

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:36 am

Can all of the lfo's and env's be synched to a clock?

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Tue May 12, 2020 7:29 am

The dedicated parameter lfo's don't sync to clock but the global ones do, this is something that could probably be requested as a feature though as he's already tweaking them so they can track pitch.

I don't know about envs syncing to clock, I'll check later today and see if there's anything like that, do you mean the looping envs syncing to clock or setting the stages to various increments such as 1/16 1/8 1/4 etc? That'd actually be pretty handy. If that's not already a possibility I'll pitch the idea to Jon, he's very interested in user feedback and loves any suggestions that can help push this synth further and further in its potential!

Edit: I thought I'd just add that all the lfo's and env's are measured in Hz / ms so it's very easy to get everything sync'd to your music, the main reason why clocking the envelopes / lfos appeals to me would be if you were modulating the tempo, your sounds would reflect that.

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Is a manual online? I'd like to read it and then ask some more questions.

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

Yeah you can find it here: https://www.motas-synth.uk/downloads.html

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can help!

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Wow there really is a lot going on in this synth 👍

One question about the parameter lfo's. Do they have the same controls as the main lfo's? Note on reset, one shot, etc.

Those shapes are pretty unique, could you do a demo of those? And is it possible to hear the overdrive?

Petajaja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Petajaja » Fri May 15, 2020 4:24 am

Yeah the lfo's have the same options, so far I think the only thing the global lfo's can do that the individual ones can't is sync to clock but it's easy to do anyway with the lfo's being measured in Hz.

I'll be sure to do some demos of the strange lfo shapes, tbh I'd barely even touched them so far! I made a patch yesterday using the boing and bounce shapes (pretty sure they're forward and reverse bouncing ball) and set them to the filters with a ratio like 1hz against 1.66hz and it was so hypnotic in the patterns it was making.

And by overdrive do you mean the filter drive or the clipping options?

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 am

I meant both lol, i bet it can get pretty gnarly with both activated. The clipping options on the output stage are really interesting. Is there a balance or wet/dry control for the clipping? Having a parameter control over this would be cool, if thats possible.

In vector mode, would it be possible to have the Pattern Sequencer going? My guess would be that it only works in a single patch mode.

Return to “General Gear”