Looking for: the best sub-150€ delay

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Looking for: the best sub-150€ delay

Post by radiokoala » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am

Hi,

I have a delay (with LFO; so quasi-reverb & chorus) that I use as part of my setup for synth lead lines: warps, tELHARMONIC, & stuff.

This said, I'd like to try something different, as it's relatively lo-fi (pt2399 and all).

Requirements: small, portable (вoss-sized), onboard reverb and variations are bonus, shimmer would be superb. Sound quality-wise I wouldn't mind it matching TC El Hall of Fame, if at all possible, or at least zooм quality.

What am I looking at?

Thanks. :ninja:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

I like Effectron and DOD rack mount delays from the 80's.
They have knobs instead of buttons. And usually can be interfaced with modular gear.
The Roland Boss DD series is good. I like the DD5 and DD6 the best. The DD20 has this thing where you can't really get it to 100% wet. But it sounds great.
I'm not a fan of the Korg and Yamaha delay units that people are gaga about. I don't dig increment buttons on DDLs.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm

I feel you on the inc/dec, but the Yammy D1500 is still pretty great if a "studio" type unit is what is required. I mostly use it as a dedicated pre-delay for verbs so have all the memories set-up for easy access to useful times. Boss R series for tactile fun time echoes.

Give the Mooer Repeater (the green one) a whirl, small money for very acceptable quality & it is a little weird. Dunno about current Zoom quality, but much more hi-fi than my 90ies Zooms..

Has a wet only mode & the way it changes pitch when altering the delay time is unique compared to my other delays... it sounds more like a raw dsp thing, like if you built the simplest buffer in reaktor/msp/pd... I really like it as its not trying to model anything, its not retro sounding, just clean, basic ass delay.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Zoom MS-70CDR.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

boss RV500 does reverbs and delays amazingly well, with insane modulation options. beyond budget but so worth it!!

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm

mongrol wrote:Zoom MS-70CDR.
this!!! You can't get better for the price
Kymátika studio | facebook | soundcloud
Recording - mixing - mastering

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

PISS.EXE
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PISS.EXE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 am

synthi wrote:
does it sound more strymonish or eventide spaceish? i could stand to have another verb or 2

i am checking some youtubes but i try to skip over all the guitar noodling unless it's all i can get :hmm:

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Looking for: the best sub-150€ delay

Post by Blairio » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 am

radiokoala wrote:Hi,

I have a delay (with LFO; so quasi-reverb & chorus) that I use as part of my setup for synth lead lines: warps, tELHARMONIC, & stuff.

This said, I'd like to try something different, as it's relatively lo-fi (pt2399 and all).

Requirements: small, portable (вoss-sized), onboard reverb and variations are bonus, shimmer would be superb. Sound quality-wise I wouldn't mind it matching TC El Hall of Fame, if at all possible, or at least zooм quality.

What am I looking at?

Thanks. :ninja:
Is it a delay or a reverb pedal you are looking for? The subject line suggests a delay, but you mention a number of different reverbs.

My tuppence-worth: Digitech Obscura delay. Lots of character, small form factor, good price at 115 GBP. Graphics are a wee bit challenging....

I like mine so much I reckon when funds permit I will get the sister Digitech Polara reverb pedal. Again lots of good things about the Polara, but the graphics seem to have been designed to mask and conceal control information at all costs.

mmwmwmw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmwmwmw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 am

calaveras wrote:The DD20 has this thing where you can't really get it to 100% wet.
you can get it 100% wet in mono:

https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowle ... 201956289/

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Sounds to me like you might be happy with the Boss RE-20.

It ticks all the boxes for you... small, portable (вoss-sized), onboard reverb and variations -- hits your price point in the used market.

I own one and I absolutely love it. It's convincingly analog sounding. A relatively darker sounding delay.

It doesn't really do shimmer or any of the other fancier types of delay /reverb things, but the relatively simple things that it does do... it does really really well.

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 pm

PISS.EXE wrote:
synthi wrote:
does it sound more strymonish or eventide spaceish? i could stand to have another verb or 2

i am checking some youtubes but i try to skip over all the guitar noodling unless it's all i can get :hmm:
It have copycat algos from both eventide and strymon boxes, it scrath both sounds only lacks the clarity of the originalas, its more 2grainy" but good enought for me as a replacement for my Bigsky+El capistan in some local gigs.
Also you can chain up to 6 effects in series, download the manual and look for the algos and parameters

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

TC Nova Delay is my all time favorite delay.

cocco88
Common Wiggler

Post by cocco88 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am

tc flashback 1 or zoom md70cdr (you get great reverb emulation too) or digitech timebender (strum pattern delay!!!)
UI/UX/Sound designer

eurorack + TenoriOn + Omnichord + giant church organ + old rusty piano

current
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/361810

selling / trading
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/389166

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks guys, TC El Flashback looks like a deal. Hit me up if anyone wants to trade for Synthrotek EKO maybe? 8-)

Zoom's great stuff as well, a company in my top-3 music equipment manufacturers all-time list. Like Nova Delay too – reminds me of NUX Time Force (shout out to a great inexpensive product!), but Flashback is more instantly tweakable and has more than a few modes: pretty much what would fill the bill best for my particular purposes.

About reverbs: yea, I was talking delays mainly, but this was in relation to multi-effect units, where you can toggle modes or something – similar to Spin FV-1 based eurorack modules, many of which have combined modes like dly+verb or verb+chorus, you get the idea. Honestly MS-70CDR is King here, probably the most advanced fx chains you can set-up in this form-factor.

In for a slight derail, any good reverbs you can recommend as well? Like HOF but cheaper.

Thanks!

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm

I didn't try any of those but you could take a look at OBNE Black Fountain/Mondegreen or DBA micro dream :despair:

marcn
Common Wiggler

Post by marcn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Although I haven't tried one, check the Electro Harmonix Canyon. Apart from your usual delays it has reverb and shimmer as well.

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Wow, thanks so much for this marcn – will probably buy it. :tu:

Return to “General Gear”