Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Not every opinion is worthy of respect. Pretty common sense position.

CoreInside
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CoreInside » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:32 am

geoffmar wrote:Not every opinion is worthy of respect. Pretty common sense position.
Opinions are like boobies, some are better than others.

I've put Panason on ignore because he is tiresome and his opinions are dumb.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:26 am

So torn on whether to get this as people seem quite divided.
Currently rocking an SH101, Juno106, Prophet 6 and a Eurorack setup and just looking for some different sounds.

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Panason wrote:He/she allegedly has the Digitone and is upset about hearing negative things about it, often seen in these forums.

So here's the deal: the Digitone is perfectly fine for a beginner or casual music making! It just lacks some things that would make it serious studio hardware: individual outputs , powerful sound, song mode, quality effects... there is no workaround for these issues. Overbollocks doesn't count.

My opinion doesn't count either, if the machine pleases you then it's good!

But maybe this is just another elektron shill creating noise to bump up the DT thread. :despair:
Wrong , Elektron Overbridge fixes everything you just complained about
[video][/video]

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Analog Music wrote:
Panason wrote:He/she allegedly has the Digitone and is upset about hearing negative things about it, often seen in these forums.

So here's the deal: the Digitone is perfectly fine for a beginner or casual music making! It just lacks some things that would make it serious studio hardware: individual outputs , powerful sound, song mode, quality effects... there is no workaround for these issues. Overbollocks doesn't count.

My opinion doesn't count either, if the machine pleases you then it's good!

But maybe this is just another elektron shill creating noise to bump up the DT thread. :despair:
Wrong , Elektron Overbridge fixes everything you just complained about
[video][/video]

That’s not completely true. Using USB to carry audio rather than having dedicated outs is an inherent compromise. I personally do not care for it and would’ve love individual outs. I don’t think I’m alone. But it’s also not as bad as stated either.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 am

bradpickapiper wrote:So torn on whether to get this as people seem quite divided.
Currently rocking an SH101, Juno106, Prophet 6 and a Eurorack setup and just looking for some different sounds.
One might be inclined to guess that, listing your synths, which are in the analog world, you are looking for "digital" sounds. Yes and no with the Digitone.

I personally love this synth, both the sound and the functionality. If you are looking for digital sound, it's pretty good; you can get the Yamaha-style pitched percussion [mallets, etc] and tweeze them, Eno-style into drones, if you desire. It's also very easy to aim the LFO's at the lower levels of FM sound design and get wild, noisy results. And to my mind, at least, it is also quite easy to get weird modular-style sounds -- I suppose, not having any modular gear myself, but also described as weird, evolving, filterish synth sounds.

The presets are great templates for tweaking and given the to-my-mind brilliant idea of having presets copied to a sequence tweakable without changing the template[preset] you copied from...it's hard for me to come up with a sound I don't like.

I am not a four on the floor dance guy, however.

I've read many comments in this thread to the end of "I don't like the sound," so I suppose you may feel the same way. I've tried to explain what I like about the sounds, as best as possible without getting into the wine reviewer trap.

I also like the sequencer, a lot. It's not perfect, not the end-all be-all. But if you want to make short ambient loops that can be readily transposed, for me it is the bee's knees. You might not make a hip hop hit out the box with this. But for ambient loops to be launched against another synth/sequencer, for me it is perfect. It is also a superb couch surfer, for composition while the better half watches the world go to hell.

You'll have to decide if you can grok the interface. I enjoy it, actually. It's easy enough to muck about with, offers enough complexity so that you can generally terrorize any sound you come up with, but it is not so deep as to be daunting.

I integrate this with Logic, an MPC1000, a Social Entropy Engine,& a Schrittmacher driving sequencer-free boxes, [horrible, awful, hateful, *unfashionable* VA's] and other in-synth sequencers.

Hopefully this helps. In the end, it generally fits well in the mix. As is, sans a bunch of potential upgrades that may make it better. But if a meteor strikes Elekton, I'll still be happy with it.

[Note, all comments limited by my obviously limited skill-set.]

By the way, where are those damnable Nazi's? This thread is well past Goddard Zone limits.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 am

RickKleffel wrote:
bradpickapiper wrote:So torn on whether to get this as people seem quite divided.
One might be inclined to guess that, listing your synths, which are in the analog world, you are looking for "digital" sounds. Yes and no with the Digitone.

I personally love this synth, both the sound and the functionality. If you are looking for digital sound, it's pretty good; you can get the Yamaha-style pitched percussion [mallets, etc] and tweeze them, Eno-style into drones, if you desire. It's also very easy to aim the LFO's at the lower levels of FM sound design and get wild, noisy results. And to my mind, at least, it is also quite easy to get weird modular-style sounds -- I suppose, not having any modular gear myself, but also described as weird, evolving, filterish synth sounds.

The presets are great templates for tweaking and given the to-my-mind brilliant idea of having presets copied to a sequence tweakable without changing the template[preset] you copied from...it's hard for me to come up with a sound I don't like.

I am not a four on the floor dance guy, however.

I've read many comments in this thread to the end of "I don't like the sound," so I suppose you may feel the same way. I've tried to explain what I like about the sounds, as best as possible without getting into the wine reviewer trap.

I also like the sequencer, a lot. It's not perfect, not the end-all be-all. But if you want to make short ambient loops that can be readily transposed, for me it is the bee's knees. You might not make a hip hop hit out the box with this. But for ambient loops to be launched against another synth/sequencer, for me it is perfect. It is also a superb couch surfer, for composition while the better half watches the world go to hell.

You'll have to decide if you can grok the interface. I enjoy it, actually. It's easy enough to muck about with, offers enough complexity so that you can generally terrorize any sound you come up with, but it is not so deep as to be daunting.

I integrate this with Logic, an MPC1000, a Social Entropy Engine,& a Schrittmacher driving sequencer-free boxes, [horrible, awful, hateful, *unfashionable* VA's] and other in-synth sequencers.

Hopefully this helps. In the end, it generally fits well in the mix. As is, sans a bunch of potential upgrades that may make it better. But if a meteor strikes Elekton, I'll still be happy with it.

[Note, all comments limited by my obviously limited skill-set.]

By the way, where are those damnable Nazi's? This thread is well past Goddard Zone limits.
Thanks for your detailed thoughts!!

locust_locust
Common Wiggler

Post by locust_locust » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:32 am

... and for using the word Grok.
Been a while since I've seen a Heinlein reference.

Snetch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Snetch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm

RickKleffel wrote:Allow me to revise this to provide perspective
In 1983 we heard... wrote:He/she allegedly has the rotten Roland so-called "Bassline" and is upset about hearing negative things about it, often seen in these forums.

So here's the deal: the TB-303 is perfectly fine for a beginner or casual music making! It just lacks some things that would make it serious studio hardware: individual outputs , powerful sound, decent envelope shaping, quality effects... there is no workaround for these issues.

Clearly the TB-303 is for amateur musicians who don't play bass guitar and don't understand synthesizers. The Model D doen't have a stupid sequencer!!!!!!
Llol
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 am

okay I was really thinking of getting one of these until I heard about no song mode? Is that right? How do yall deal with that. Are you just triggering notes from other Elektron boxes, or is there a cute way to trigger patterns from another sequencer, like in the Machinedrum.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am

Well, my control center is the Octatrack, so I use the song mode in the Octatrack and set the Digitone up to switch patterns when the OT does. It just follows along.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

out of curiosity... which VST FM synth is most comparable to the Digitone?
or is it really in an entire league of it's own?

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 pm

calaveras wrote:okay I was really thinking of getting one of these until I heard about no song mode? Is that right? How do yall deal with that. Are you just triggering notes from other Elektron boxes, or is there a cute way to trigger patterns from another sequencer, like in the Machinedrum.
welcome to world of pain! :ripbanana:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:53 am

calaveras wrote:okay I was really thinking of getting one of these until I heard about no song mode? Is that right? How do yall deal with that. Are you just triggering notes from other Elektron boxes, or is there a cute way to trigger patterns from another sequencer, like in the Machinedrum.
It's insane right? You can make chains, but chains are lost when you create a new chain or when you select a new bank/pattern,and chains can't be saved and are lost when you switch the Digitone off. That effectively paraphrases the manual. I really can't believe they do something like that. One reason may be they want you to buy one of their other boxes.

I think they've nailed it in terms of an excellent way to do FM, but as I've said earlier I think its audio quality is average; the thing is hamstrung unless you liberally use parameter locks and sound locks, and because of that you need to mentally keep track of where all those are being used in relation to the four instruments which you'll completely forget if you spend any time away from it; and it has no song mode.

Andrew108
Common Wiggler

Post by Andrew108 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:00 am

Digitone is a brilliant little synth. Definitely worth the money. Check out the free drum sound pack. Turns it into a very capable drum machine esp as you can sound lock sounds from the sound pool on one track leaving the other 3 tracks for synth duties.
There are some Elektron products I'm not that keen on such as the Analog 4 and Digitakt but the rest of their stuff IMO is stellar.

tarmoog
Common Wiggler

Post by tarmoog » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 am

I think there is indication that they want to sell you an Octatrack to take care of song sequencing.

If you own modular and like to use modular to control pattern changes then I suggest to get a doepfer a-192-2 and use it to send midi notes to change patterns. You could even use digitone/takt to change it's own pattern with trig conditions with external midi modules.

If I had to choose between having external pattern change via midi or song mode, I would always choose external change capabilites. But I do also understand that other people like to make their song chaining inside groovebox.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:48 pm

already have MD and A4.
As well of plenty of ways to sequence my modular.
I like robots that I can program to play songs. Robots that can only play pieces of songs are less useful.
Suppose I can leash it to a bigger robot and rely on that one to tell it to do tricks. Or just buy some other box.
Dont understand why companies make products that are artificially limited like this.
RAM and ROM are cheap. Even CPU is comparatively cheap. Can't think of any reason it doesnt do a song mode other than as stated above, a ploy to get you to buy other Elektron products that do.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Got one of these last weekend. It’s really fantastic. It shines even brighter when you play it with a 49-key (or greater) MIDI keyboard.

Those of you trying it in the shop and plinking away on the mini-keyboard are missing out on the massive open voicings which will truly show off the sound engine. Or, how about a good old two-handed DX7 electric piano jam but with hands-on sound shaping and FX that are more immediate than the original?

I will also say this thing is very LOUD and PRESENT. It cuts through nicely, of course depends on the patch. I’m really loving the pads as well!

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 am

phisynth wrote:As a modulation freak, I am a bit disappointed by the limited amount of modulation possibilities on the Digitone. So I made this Max/MSP patch to interact with the modular (trough Expert Sleepers ES-6). Now almost each parameter on the Digitone can be a modulation target by converting CV values to midi CC values. Works like a charm (still have some latency issues to deal with though).

Essentially still a work in progress.

[video][/video]
Just came here to find some of experience wtih the Digitone and in the hope of finding demo's of your adventures with the Digitone. And indeed there's some lovely stuff in here. Thanks for sharing. Pretty big chance I'll get one now this December.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

tarmoog wrote: If you own modular and like to use modular to control pattern changes then I suggest to get a doepfer a-192-2 and use it to send midi notes to change patterns.
You cannot use MIDI notes. Because Elektron love donkey dongs, the DN lacks the Multi Map mode present in the A4 and the MD (and I guess the OT).

These issues have been discussed at length at the Elektron Analog Rytm forums and Elektron have completely failed to explain the lack of Multi Map on some of their boxes.

Only program change messages can be used to change patterns, and you're at the mercy of the pattern scale menu if you want to do anything more than simply change patterns when the sequencer reaches the end of a pattern.

Ableton Live only sends Program changes at the beginning of clips and the Elektron boxes without Multi Map (such as the Digitone) will not respond to those program changes instantly. There is always a delay and you cannot get this delay to less than 1/8th of a bar (depending on pattern scale settings). So you have to always take that delay into account when arranging your tracks. In practice this can quickly become a PITA.
It doesn't help that MIDI gives program changes low prority. It is a wholly shitty way to remotely change patterns on sequencers and should have never been implemented on any groovebox/ drum machine.

Also, Ableton will not receive program changes in MIDI Map mode so you cannot use the DN to change scenes in Live as you change patterns. :yay:

I have spent many hours trying to work around this issue and is one of the primary things that makes me despise this company.

Basically, if you want fast and synced pattern changes for doing live improvised percussive stuff, fast breaks etc. without resorting to sampling everything.... look elsewhere.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm

calaveras wrote:okay I was really thinking of getting one of these until I heard about no song mode? Is that right?
Pattern chains... or simply change patterns manually when you feel like it, the way guitarists and drummers do.

This method worked for Autechre live with the MD/MM, even though they had a song mode at their disposal.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 am

finally bit the bullet and ordered one at the modular event in tokyo today.
so excited to get it tomorrow and dig in!

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:13 am

Yes, there is no song mode, but I read further down that you have other elektron gear, so that means you just have to use song mode on one of your other machines and have the DT slave to that, meaning that whenever one of your other machines changes pattern, the DT will follow. just pick whatever you like to be the master and set the DT to slave and off you go.

I use this a lot since I like the drums to compliment the synth sounds and be on the same pattern even when I am programming the sounds and notes.

Read the manual and let the light shine upon you :omg:

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm

damn this is a fun little synth! LOVE the workflow. sequencer rules too.
my first elektron box and i'm sold

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 am

[video][/video]

i'm working on a new percussion bank for the digitone. it's pretty great as a drum synth!

Return to “General Gear”