Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
timeforest
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 am

Post by timeforest » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:08 am

joey wrote: it's pretty great as a drum synth!
it absolutely is. i remain really enthusiastic about this little unit, i feel like it will be a future classic

User avatar
slicetwo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by slicetwo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 pm

I’m currently on the fence about the DO and considering returning it despite how much I love the sound. My reasons are:

1. No midi out arp
2. Clock sync is tied to transport so you can’t have it sync to something else without also making it start playback.
3. Although it’s 8 voices, when you play the same note sequentially it cuts off the first note instead of using another voice. This makes playing pads/chords difficult when you have 2 chords with one same note back to back.
4. Only 2 lfos with one destination each, no assignable envelopes.
5. No p-locking the arp or FX.
6. No bipolar keytracking for the filter and no resonance for the base-width filter
7. No parameter slides
8. No per track speeds like on the OT/A4/AR
9. No LFO for the FX
10. No song mode (or at least saving of chains)
11. No option for kits to easily move across patterns
12. They give us the option to insert notes with the up and down arrows, which is great, so why not also let us program chords that way like the Monomachine? Having to constantly use that Add Notes button is a pain in the ass.
13. No RANDOM or S&H arp
14. Inputs sum to mono before hitting FX

I feel like all of these are just firmware things. All of these things are in the bigger boxes (either on at least one or on all of them), so it’s not like Elektron isn’t aware of or able to actually do them, it’s just that they’ve chosen not to do so.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the synthesis is top notch. I’ve already made 18 cool presets in one day, but there are a lot of things on this list that seem so counter intuitive to a fun and creative workflow that I don’t know if it’s worth keeping just for the sound alone. If I wanted just an FM synth, I’d use FM8 or try the PreenFM2, but I wanted a piece of hardware that would be fun to use and sketch out ideas, along with sound design. So far, only the latter is truly enjoyable at the moment.

If this seems familiar, perhaps you saw me post it on Elektronauts.

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm

slicetwo
I think the OT is the only one that can do divisions per track. I gave up on Elektron for serious sequencing and got a Cirklon haha. I’ve sold my DT and DO. No point in selling my AK and AR as it just wouldn’t be worth my while and I still like them as sound sources. And I got an OT in a trade. I think it’s pretty unique and worth having.

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by r05c03 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

slicetwo wrote:I’m currently on the fence about the DO and considering returning it despite how much I love the sound. My reasons are:

1. No midi out arp
2. Clock sync is tied to transport so you can’t have it sync to something else without also making it start playback.
3. Although it’s 8 voices, when you play the same note sequentially it cuts off the first note instead of using another voice. This makes playing pads/chords difficult when you have 2 chords with one same note back to back.
4. Only 2 lfos with one destination each, no assignable envelopes.
5. No p-locking the arp or FX.
6. No bipolar keytracking for the filter and no resonance for the base-width filter
7. No parameter slides
8. No per track speeds like on the OT/A4/AR
9. No LFO for the FX
10. No song mode (or at least saving of chains)
11. No option for kits to easily move across patterns
12. They give us the option to insert notes with the up and down arrows, which is great, so why not also let us program chords that way like the Monomachine? Having to constantly use that Add Notes button is a pain in the ass.
13. No RANDOM or S&H arp
14. Inputs sum to mono before hitting FX

I feel like all of these are just firmware things. All of these things are in the bigger boxes (either on at least one or on all of them), so it’s not like Elektron isn’t aware of or able to actually do them, it’s just that they’ve chosen not to do so.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the synthesis is top notch. I’ve already made 18 cool presets in one day, but there are a lot of things on this list that seem so counter intuitive to a fun and creative workflow that I don’t know if it’s worth keeping just for the sound alone. If I wanted just an FM synth, I’d use FM8 or try the PreenFM2, but I wanted a piece of hardware that would be fun to use and sketch out ideas, along with sound design. So far, only the latter is truly enjoyable at the moment.

If this seems familiar, perhaps you saw me post it on Elektronauts.
I hear what you are saying. But for the price and foot print the features are pretty good and it still carries a lot of the Elektron workflow characteristics that click with certain people. Considering how much MIDI control you can have over the DO, it is clearly made to be paired with other sources and not stand alone. The OT works quite well with it.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

User avatar
slicetwo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by slicetwo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:49 am

r05c03 wrote: I hear what you are saying. But for the price and foot print the features are pretty good and it still carries a lot of the Elektron workflow characteristics that click with certain people. Considering how much MIDI control you can have over the DO, it is clearly made to be paired with other sources and not stand alone. The OT works quite well with it.
I feel that. Most of the issues are, to some extent, personal preferences, but the voice/note thing (#3) is pretty jacked up.

I just feel like some of the stuff they've omitted is kind of ridiculous.

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by r05c03 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 am

slicetwo wrote:
r05c03 wrote: I hear what you are saying. But for the price and foot print the features are pretty good and it still carries a lot of the Elektron workflow characteristics that click with certain people. Considering how much MIDI control you can have over the DO, it is clearly made to be paired with other sources and not stand alone. The OT works quite well with it.
I feel that. Most of the issues are, to some extent, personal preferences, but the voice/note thing (#3) is pretty jacked up.

I just feel like some of the stuff they've omitted is kind of ridiculous.
I thought you could select different modes of voice of stealing:

VOICE STEALING The Digitone has eight voice polyphony. VOICE STEALING sets the rules for how
voices are stolen (which voice is taken when you play a new note) when you use more than eight voices
at the same time. Press [LEFT]/[RIGHT] to select voice stealing mode.
CYCLE The first played note is stolen first.
TRACK Track priority. Notes played on track 1 has priority over notes played on track 2, 3, and 4. Track
2 notes over track 3, 4 Track 3 notes over track 4.
LOW Lowest note is stolen first
HIGH Highest note is stolen first.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

User avatar
slicetwo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by slicetwo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

r05c03 wrote:I feel that. Most of the issues are, to some extent, personal preferences, but the voice/note thing (#3) is pretty jacked up.

I just feel like some of the stuff they've omitted is kind of ridiculous.
I thought you could select different modes of voice of stealing:

VOICE STEALING The Digitone has eight voice polyphony. VOICE STEALING sets the rules for how
voices are stolen (which voice is taken when you play a new note) when you use more than eight voices
at the same time. Press [LEFT]/[RIGHT] to select voice stealing mode.
CYCLE The first played note is stolen first.
TRACK Track priority. Notes played on track 1 has priority over notes played on track 2, 3, and 4. Track
2 notes over track 3, 4 Track 3 notes over track 4.
LOW Lowest note is stolen first
HIGH Highest note is stolen first.[/quote]

That works for when you're playing different notes. If you play two C notes in a row it uses the same voice.

User avatar
slicetwo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by slicetwo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

r05c03 wrote:
I thought you could select different modes of voice of stealing:

VOICE STEALING The Digitone has eight voice polyphony. VOICE STEALING sets the rules for how
voices are stolen (which voice is taken when you play a new note) when you use more than eight voices
at the same time. Press [LEFT]/[RIGHT] to select voice stealing mode.
CYCLE The first played note is stolen first.
TRACK Track priority. Notes played on track 1 has priority over notes played on track 2, 3, and 4. Track
2 notes over track 3, 4 Track 3 notes over track 4.
LOW Lowest note is stolen first
HIGH Highest note is stolen first.
That works for when you're playing different notes. If you play two C notes in a row it uses the same voice.

Jean Luc Cougar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm
Location: NYC

Post by Jean Luc Cougar » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:47 am

I’m considering. DigiTone and I just suffered :miley: through reading this entire thread (mostly kidding)

Now that the honeymoon phase is over how are people feeling about it?

Song mode doesn’t matter for my workflow, but wow that voice stealing / re-triggering the amplitude envelope when playing the same note seems like a bizarre choice. I can see that being a result of their sequencer. Any workarounds?

User avatar
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6665
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by J3RK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Jean Luc Cougar wrote:I’m considering. DigiTone and I just suffered :miley: through reading this entire thread (mostly kidding)

Now that the honeymoon phase is over how are people feeling about it?

Song mode doesn’t matter for my workflow, but wow that voice stealing / re-triggering the amplitude envelope when playing the same note seems like a bizarre choice. I can see that being a result of their sequencer. Any workarounds?
The short answer is I simply wouldn't give it up. I bought one right when they released, and absolutely loved it immediately. I then needed some cash, so I sold it. However, I missed it right away, and bought another. It will not be going anywhere. It's extremely versatile. Give or take a few functions, it's like having a medium sized Buchla in a tiny box. The way I generally break things up between tracks, I have never run into issues with voice stealing. I guess if I was trying to use it as a typical poly-synth I might, but under normal multi-track circumstances, I've had zero issues with that. The interface is the easiest I've ever used for an FM synth (short of a few software items). It's great as a part of a larger setup, a perfect pairing with a Digitakt, but it's also kind of fun all on its own away from the studio as a little sketchpad device. It's like having an FM synth and 4-track tracker in a box in that way. It has its limitations of course, but it's ridiculously fun to use.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Jean Luc Cougar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm
Location: NYC

Post by Jean Luc Cougar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Buchla in a box? Wow. TBH - I find that intriguing.

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by r05c03 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 am

I will second the above statement with only slightly less enthusiasm. It is a great box, fun and quick to use. Voice stealing and lack of song mode has not bothered me. I do not use it as a poly synth and I use the OT’s song mode when I need to organize thing in that way.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Jean Luc Cougar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm
Location: NYC

Post by Jean Luc Cougar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 am

Can you tell me more about the Buchla in a box description? What kinds of patches and patterns are you making that’s taking you to Buchla territory?

Nerdherder
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 am
Location: Amsterdam

Post by Nerdherder » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:50 am

Jean Luc Cougar wrote:Can you tell me more about the Buchla in a box description? What kinds of patches and patterns are you making that’s taking you to Buchla territory?
I view it as an "FM Music Easel", perhaps that's also what the op means?

glitched01
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Post by glitched01 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Now that the "honeymoon phase" is over, I'm feeling...like I love the Digitone even more. I have rarely turned on any other box since getting the 'Tone.

I've already done two soundpacks and there's no sign of stopping. New, weird sounds, everyday.

User avatar
dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Post by dumbledog » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

glitched01 wrote:Now that the "honeymoon phase" is over, I'm feeling...like I love the Digitone even more. I have rarely turned on any other box since getting the 'Tone.

I've already done two soundpacks and there's no sign of stopping. New, weird sounds, everyday.
Oh cool, I bought your pack last week 8-) While you're here I have a couple of questions...

First, what guides you in choosing one algorithm over another? Do you have general guidelines like "Algorithm X is better for really chaotic stuff," or is it more a matter of just trying them all?

Second, do you know of a way to get a sound to carry over from one pattern to another? I have a pad I would like to start towards the end of one pattern, then keep going to the second one before fading out by a third. Setting the trigger or release to INF seems to make it continue, well, infinitely, with no way to stop other than double-tapping stop to kill the whole sound engine.

User avatar
Heaven
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: London

Post by Heaven » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:08 pm

Love my bad boy to death.

mayyammay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by mayyammay » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi All -

Love the Digitone. I do agree that voice stealing when playing the same note is a bit bothersome. I am finding the machine quite easy to use, but I have somehow muted (?) T3 and T4. I have tried both global and pattern mute and both tracks appear unmuted. Is there anything else I should try? I am stumped.

Thanks for your help!

glitched01
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Post by glitched01 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

dumbledog wrote:
Oh cool, I bought your pack last week 8-) While you're here I have a couple of questions...

First, what guides you in choosing one algorithm over another? Do you have general guidelines like "Algorithm X is better for really chaotic stuff," or is it more a matter of just trying them all?

Second, do you know of a way to get a sound to carry over from one pattern to another? I have a pad I would like to start towards the end of one pattern, then keep going to the second one before fading out by a third. Setting the trigger or release to INF seems to make it continue, well, infinitely, with no way to stop other than double-tapping stop to kill the whole sound engine.
That's great, thanks!

Q1: I design sounds by "feel," but I have recognized that certain algos are good for certain effects, as you mention. With so many combinations of parameters, though, it's hard to really predict the possible product of all of them working together. So yes, I mess around until I find something worth chasing, then I use micro-adjustments to tweak it.

Q2: If I understand you, you'll have to have some voices available ("polyphony") on the transitional track. If you don't, the voice will get cut off or "stolen" by the other sounds on the track (or the other tracks.) You should have the same sound on the target track, too; otherwise, it'll sound or behave differently.

If you'd like the sound to fade out on the target pattern, you can (trigless--FUNCT+trig) p-lock the AMP release to a value other than INF. This way, when the sequencer reaches that trig, it will reduce the REL value and subsequently fade it out.

mor4sso
Common Wiggler
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Post by mor4sso » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 pm

mayyammay wrote:Hi All -

Love the Digitone. I do agree that voice stealing when playing the same note is a bit bothersome. I am finding the machine quite easy to use, but I have somehow muted (?) T3 and T4. I have tried both global and pattern mute and both tracks appear unmuted. Is there anything else I should try? I am stumped.

Thanks for your help!


I know this may be super obvious, but did you plock amp or track volume somewhere?

mayyammay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by mayyammay » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 am

mor4sso wrote:
mayyammay wrote:Hi All -

Love the Digitone. I do agree that voice stealing when playing the same note is a bit bothersome. I am finding the machine quite easy to use, but I have somehow muted (?) T3 and T4. I have tried both global and pattern mute and both tracks appear unmuted. Is there anything else I should try? I am stumped.

Thanks for your help!


I know this may be super obvious, but did you plock amp or track volume somewhere?
Thanks. I don't think so, but I'll check. Any other suggestions?

User avatar
dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Post by dumbledog » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 am

glitched01 wrote:(trigless--FUNCT+trig) p-lock
That was it. Thank you!

mayyammay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by mayyammay » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:03 pm

mor4sso wrote:
mayyammay wrote:Hi All -

Love the Digitone. I do agree that voice stealing when playing the same note is a bit bothersome. I am finding the machine quite easy to use, but I have somehow muted (?) T3 and T4. I have tried both global and pattern mute and both tracks appear unmuted. Is there anything else I should try? I am stumped.

Thanks for your help!


I know this may be super obvious, but did you plock amp or track volume somewhere?
I finally figured it out! I allocated all voices to T1 and T2 and there were no voices available for T3 and T4 to use. Geesh!

mor4sso
Common Wiggler
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Post by mor4sso » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm

mayyammay wrote:
mor4sso wrote:
mayyammay wrote:Hi All -

Love the Digitone. I do agree that voice stealing when playing the same note is a bit bothersome. I am finding the machine quite easy to use, but I have somehow muted (?) T3 and T4. I have tried both global and pattern mute and both tracks appear unmuted. Is there anything else I should try? I am stumped.

Thanks for your help!


I know this may be super obvious, but did you plock amp or track volume somewhere?
I finally figured it out! I allocated all voices to T1 and T2 and there were no voices available for T3 and T4 to use. Geesh!
haha easy mistake :)

geoffmar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 am

Post by geoffmar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Digitone is the most inspiring synth ive used in a long long time. Tons of possibilities within this thing. Pairs well with an analog filter after it for a bit more warmth ans bite. Ive got some cool percussive patches thrown through a culture vulture that i might upload.

Re: "Buchla in a box" - definitely a lot of buchla esque tones in this thing. The red panel demonstration has a lot of tones in it that ive heard out of the digitone

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”