Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

PoopMonster666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PoopMonster666 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am

I love me Digitone.

Why do people hate on me in another thread for owning her? She is a beautiful synth, drum machine and FX station. Also four MIDI tracks very useful live.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:07 am

Just ordered, hyped!

Since it doesn't have song mode i'm gonna use it with my Pyramid (probably would have even if it had song mode).

Gonna be nice together with my Analog Four, Sonic Potions LXR, Nord Drum 2 + eurorack. I feel it's somehow the missing "link" ;)

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:51 am

Enjoy guys. Love my digitone. Elektron is great despite the niggles people have.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm

the new elektron boxes really are game changers. ive had the machined drum, rytm and the a4 and i never really got on with them. But the digitone is incredible. Digitakt has a great sound (need one) and from what i've heard of the A4 MK2, it really is a much more mature sounding instrument. Probably add one down the road

mor4sso
Common Wiggler

Post by mor4sso » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:45 pm

A4 MK2 sound is much better than A4 MK1 imo

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:42 pm

MK II has a bit better sounding overdrive and very slightly more bass. I was expecting more tbh, wouldn't say the price difference is worth it, its nothing you can't fix with some tweaking with external gear. If money is no option or if you just don't want to mix externally then MK II, obviously. It's disappointing they couldn't make the screen better than what it is imo, its very slightly larger. There are some fixes in the layout that are good. (...in before Digitone MK2!)

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

i snagged one for a (decent) price (MK2). had the a4 many moons ago but never got on with it. but I'm looking at pairing it with my digitone (which i LOVE). i'll report back. I have an analogue solutions fusebox that would be great to control/process through/from the A4

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm

I like it so far, it's nowhere near my Analog Four though. As expected the sound is very glassy and clean, which can be nice sometimes, you can make it sound quite harsh but in an often not that great way (imo).
The preset songs that comes with the unit are really nice and there's a few nice preset sounds. It's gonna take me a while to sort out crap and fill it up only with presets that i personally like, just like i've done on my A4.

It's hard to judge a synth before you've become really good at programming sounds on it though.. My initial feelings about the A4 were so-so.. took me quite a while to get good at making my own sounds and in that moment when you've finished the first bank of sounds you realize how bad the preset sounds really were. I bet its the same here, these guys probably did not have months of experience with it before they made most of these sounds.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Starting to circle around the notion of picking up one of these instead of waiting for a reasonably priced Monomachine to appear. There are a lot of nice sounds being posted.

I might end up selling my Rytm to fund this. Has anyone attempted to build an adapter to mount these inside a 2-tier "mk1" Elektron case? I've got my MD+Rytm in one right now and might end up building something out of spare plywood to fit it in.

Haterade
Common Wiggler

Post by Haterade » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Anybody have pointers on how to control digitone using midi cc from the octatrack? Having trouble getting it to connect up.
"Don't shun the world, shed it"

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm

I've had a Digitakt for a year or so and have rather enjoyed it. I got a Digitone to go with it about a month ago and the combination of the two is a remarkably good time. They are not without their flaws, but I can't remember when I've had so much fun just sitting down and jamming with two boxes. Now I'm seriously considering an Analog Heat to round out the pair.

giugno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by giugno » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Just got a Digitone. This is my first FM synth so finding/creating sounds I like a lot is a slow process, but sequencing multiple synths over MIDI makes it such an incredible and fun tool for live use.

Also, not finding it too difficult to use, I kept putting off reading the entire manual and have just been googling things as I come across them and that's been doing me just fine.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:20 am

I've created almost 200 sounds now in a few days, Acid/Jungle/EBM/Dubstep type of sounds are quite fun to create, also does some really great House type of chord sounds.

After using only Digitone for days i switched back to playing a bit with the Analog Four. Wow, they sound so different, there's such weight to the sound on the A4.. Digitone has a some kind of plastic and rather cheesy quality to its sound (which is absolutely fine, i don't want them to sound the same).

Really like how incredibly easy it is to get good sounds from the Digitone, a lot of it comes down to playing around with the LFO's for me. I think i've also mastered how to get better harsher sounds now, something i struggled with a bit in the beginning. I tend to use Overdrive on almost all sounds, it does tend to make everything sound a bit better ("fatter") to my ears.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 pm

bemushroomed wrote:I've created almost 200 sounds now in a few days, Acid/Jungle/EBM/Dubstep type of sounds are quite fun to create, also does some really great House type of chord sounds.

After using only Digitone for days i switched back to playing a bit with the Analog Four. Wow, they sound so different, there's such weight to the sound on the A4.. Digitone has a some kind of plastic and rather cheesy quality to its sound (which is absolutely fine, i don't want them to sound the same).

Really like how incredibly easy it is to get good sounds from the Digitone, a lot of it comes down to playing around with the LFO's for me. I think i've also mastered how to get better harsher sounds now, something i struggled with a bit in the beginning. I tend to use Overdrive on almost all sounds, it does tend to make everything sound a bit better ("fatter") to my ears.
It's funny, I find myself getting deeper basses from the DN than from my A4. I guess it's all in how we program them!

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

slicetwo wrote: It's funny, I find myself getting deeper basses from the DN than from my A4. I guess it's all in how we program them!
No i think i agree that basses it can do deeper than the A4, for other sounds with a bit more brightness to them (key, lead sounds, some pads) the A4 can sound super heavy (the only way i can describe it) for these types of sounds. Basses is what i've mainly done on the Digitone so far, its so fun to mess around with the two LFO's, the Phase setting (i guess it is, named "SPH") is often very useful to change too.

Still haven't read the manual, probably should to see if i've missed some hidden settings etc.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Beshroomed, do you have any tips on getting "harsher" sounds out of the digitone beyond the overdrive?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:05 pm

geoffmar wrote:Beshroomed, do you have any tips on getting "harsher" sounds out of the digitone beyond the overdrive?
I took a look at one of the harsher sounds i have created and for this sound i'm modulating Filter Frequency and also Syn-Ratio B on the LFO page. On Syn2 page: the volume has a huge impact on sound and harshness. Feedback and Dtun on the first Syn page is also useful.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:16 am

Sigh. I've swapped out a Rytm to give one of these a try. I've owned practically all the Elektron instruments at some point, so I can't stop now, right?

Once you're used to the Elketron sequencer and interface it's hard to shift away from it. There aren't many alternatives that tick all the boxes.

The Digitone-only music thread on Elektronauts convinced me to give this a try. Seems like a nice answer to the "digital hole" question in my otherwise analog setup.

Decdog
Learning to Wiggle

Concerns about build quality anyone?

Post by Decdog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am

I got my Digitone yesterday – happy days – all good but I realised that when I tap the faceplate, especially in the middle of the unit, there is a noticeable ‘reverb’, a slight sound sort of like when you hit a drum.

Basically it sounds like the faceplate is perhaps not fixed ‘flush’ with the internal bits, or maybe the faceplate on my unit is ever so slightly curved/bent, but just a fraction of a millimetre, giving this effect. The build quality feels solid otherwise, but this makes it feel a bit cheap, like they skimped out on internal fixings(!). :despair:

I tried tapping my finger firmly on the faceplate of my other gear, and none have this effect so noticeably (even my Tanzmaus lol). Tapping the similar looking Octatrack box for example it feels really solid and there is no ‘give’ (or reverberation) at all.

It makes me wonder if the Digitones/takts are just like this? For those of you with an Octatrack as well as Digitone/takt, for example, or any of the other bigger boxes, do you notice this effect on the DT/DN particularly?

If this is how they all are then fine – this in no way impacts on the use of the unit of course – and I’ll stop fixating on this! However if there have been quality control issues with my particular box I might just send it back/replace it.

I’ll try to do a video of this when I get home. Reflections appreciated! :)

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 am

I have both an Octatrack and a Digitone, and my two boxes are identical in terms of build - both solid as a rock.

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 am

Digitone and Digitakt here, both are well built and make no noise at all when tapping on them.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Digitakt here... I feel like I could toss it across the room and the internals would be fine (speaking nothing of the encoders).

Regardless, the only thing I've ever tapped on that doesn't have a responsive noise is a mattress... Even then it depends on if it's memory foam or not.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:45 am

The new Digitone OS adds fine tuning to ratios. It's like going from 16 colors to 16,000,000.

udbhav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by udbhav » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Also added portamento, one of my biggest gripes.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 pm

They added portamento awhile ago.

Today they added the ratio offset (fine tune) and TIME SCALE PER TRACK.

Return to “General Gear”