Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

Time scale per track would've been nice when I had it since I used it mainly for drum design.

I had a love/hate with the Digitone. Bought and sold it twice, even when I got it new the second time at $560. That was when I was in the Elektron rabbit hole though. I'm clean now. If I can ever get one at $560 or below new again I might, with Overbridge it's worth it compared to other boxes for recording especially for drums, IMO.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:49 am

Please ignore.
Sig !

ddiamond84
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddiamond84 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 am

suboptimal wrote:The new Digitone OS adds fine tuning to ratios. It's like going from 16 colors to 16,000,000.
Could you explain what this means? Everyone talks about how big a deal this is but I don’t understand it’s implications, and I'd like to! It sounds awesome!

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 am

Previous to this the ratios only had a rough tune knob, stepping between whole values. Now there's a fine tune, greatly expanding the available ratios.

Now, with FM a lot of these intermediate values result in noise, so the added depth potentially means more time finding your sound. But the added depth makes LFOs and plocks more interesting.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:57 am

[video][/video]

digitone pad here

Johnny Matta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Johnny Matta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:43 pm

We’ve been asking about these updates for months...is it hard for them to implement additional codes on their software configuration, Elektron? Especially considering the frequent updates of Deluge which is basically one person company.

・Parameter Slide
・Plockable Arpeggiator or Retrigger (Volca Drum has one and I found their refusal to implement the function confounding and illogical. And VD is not a sampler.)
・Random Arpeggiator
・2 more LFO or loopable envelope

I’d mention that Volca FM has rudimentary smooth parameter automation, so there is no excuse for this delay or omission.

It seems the Overbridge seriously hampers the development and innovation of the company. I still remember the day they magically turned their product to something far more advanced with a slew of new updates. I reckon all these innovative synth companies like NI and Elektron are destined to go downhill eventually after following misguided directions. This is sad.

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 am

I got a Digitone last week and I love it. Most fun and creativity from a box in a long time. I've paired it with a Rytm for good times jamming in the kitchen.

Complaints about omissions are valid, and I support their inclusion, but the glass is definitely more than half full IMO.

tommygee
Common Wiggler

Post by tommygee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:51 pm

How would you compare the Digitone to Ableton Operator plug-in when it comes to sound design possibilities and sonic quality (not looking at the sequencing aspects of the Digitone) ?

hairbow
Common Wiggler

Post by hairbow » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:31 pm

tommygee wrote:How would you compare the Digitone to Ableton Operator plug-in when it comes to sound design possibilities and sonic quality (not looking at the sequencing aspects of the Digitone) ?
Ableton Operator has a lot more going on. If you use and like Push then there is little need for Digitone IMO. For a hardware only setup its the best FM option however since it sounds better than other modern FM modules and can handle MIDI better than the DX series

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:38 pm

hairbow wrote:
tommygee wrote:How would you compare the Digitone to Ableton Operator plug-in when it comes to sound design possibilities and sonic quality (not looking at the sequencing aspects of the Digitone) ?
Ableton Operator has a lot more going on. If you use and like Push then there is little need for Digitone IMO. For a hardware only setup its the best FM option however since it sounds better than other modern FM modules and can handle MIDI better than the DX series
Agree with all of that. Operator is a really powerful four Op synth. Apart from the hardware difference, I think the other difference is Digitone has modified the FM approach to make it a little bit easier to get usable interesting sounds.

DubplateDerek
Common Wiggler

Post by DubplateDerek » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 pm

hairbow wrote:
Have you seen / heard Preen FM2?
Cases and side panels for all sorts of modular and other stuff :

www.gouldcaseworks.nl

www.instagram.com/gould_case_works

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:26 pm

I basically use my Digitone as a hardware Operator when I'm away from the computer. It's missing a couple of the algorithms. For instance, the 4-in-a-row algo which essentially gives you a 4 osc subtractive. Also I find Operator's filters to sound much nicer.

However for live tweaking, MIDI spec and with the latest OS updates, the Digi still sounds and plays really well. Almost makes me not miss my Monomachine. :ripbanana:

tommygee
Common Wiggler

Post by tommygee » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Annwn wrote:I basically use my Digitone as a hardware Operator when I'm away from the computer. It's missing a couple of the algorithms. For instance, the 4-in-a-row algo which essentially gives you a 4 osc subtractive. Also I find Operator's filters to sound much nicer.

However for live tweaking, MIDI spec and with the latest OS updates, the Digi still sounds and plays really well. Almost makes me not miss my Monomachine. :ripbanana:
Great inputs guys - thanks :-) I'll keep on using my Operator then.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Re: Elektron Digitone

Post by SingIt » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Love scrolling through this thread and seeing "banned" next to Panason's name. What a complete loser.

Anyway, I was curious if they updated the OS since release. I see it has some basic chords but it would be cool if the sequencer could do more complex stuff as well. Did they happen to add more?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 pm

SingIt wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Love scrolling through this thread and seeing "banned" next to Panason's name. What a complete loser.
I have to disagree. While he was often a total ball breaker, he wasn't always wrong, and while being outspoken he was respectful to other users as far as I could tell. That's more than I can say about many other current members. But maybe there's something I missed... I didn't know he got banned. That's too bad.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 pm
SingIt wrote:
I have to disagree. While he was often a total ball breaker, he wasn't always wrong, and while being outspoken he was respectful to other users as far as I could tell. That's more than I can say about many other current members. But maybe there's something I missed... I didn't know he got banned. That's too bad.
I think I read that Panason requested to be banned.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
SingIt wrote:
You called him out specifically in this thread for misinformation and I saw a lot of that from him reading through this and other threads. It got old.

Anyway, do you still have a Digitone? Curious about my question.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 pm

SingIt wrote:
Dissing the absent is real tough, winner guy!
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:54 pm

SingIt wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
SingIt wrote:
You called him out specifically in this thread for misinformation and I saw a lot of that from him reading through this and other threads. It got old.

Ha, I'm sure I did. Like I said, he was a ball breaker. Having read through the threads it seems he was banned because the moderators told him to not constantly post negative things as it violates the not being a douche rule (I thought that was the BST subform "rule") and he told them to f off and to ban him if they didn't like it because it was his right to post what he wanted. I say he, I have no clue who Panason is, but I'm not going to type out he/she or gender neutral they as it gets confusing when speaking of the moderators as they. Anyway, it's kind of a weak indication to ban someone IMO, and it certainly seems that people get banned without any transparency in what happened. Perhaps there should be a banned thread that announces when a member is banned and why. OF course it would turn into a shit show like every other remotely controversial thread here, so it could be locked so only moderators could post. It would educate forum members as to what it takes to get banned. Anyways, I came to think of Panason as another quirky MW character. I did not see him as the typical rabid GS user. I did not think he only contributed negativity. And I would not think anything he posted warranted being banned.

Anyways, I sold a lot of my Elektron boxes when I got my Cirklon. The Digitakt and Digitone were the first to go. I bought them to sequence the modular, and for additional sound sources. I became very frustrated by certain limitations of the MIDI sequencing side (though other features are great, like being able to send 8+ simultaneous MIDI CCs per step, and other features like individual clock divisions per sequence have been added since) and ultimately went the Cirklon route. It made me feel like I wanted to get away from instruments with built in sequencers and focus instead on the sound design aspect within the instrument and then sequence from the Cirklon. I ended up getting a PreenFM2 to replace it, which sounds great, but is cumbersome to use (I never use it). I have considered getting another one, or even the keys (if they had done it in the shape of the AK I would've preordered hands down). For now, I'm waiting to see what Korg's FM synth will be, if it materializes. But I'm keeping the Digitone in the back of my mind. Elektron do a very good job of streamlining workflow from a synthesis perspective. It does sacrifice a certain degree of control. In the end I wanted something with more options in terms of the synthesis side, but still maintaining hands on control. I think the Opsix will meet my criteria better than the Digitone. I have still recommended the Digitone to a lot of people.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 am

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 pm
SingIt wrote:
Dissing the absent is real tough, winner guy!
I’d have done it if he was still here, really makes no difference to me. Reading through this thread to learn about the machine was highly annoying due to him. Do you actually define any form of arguing on the internet as tough?

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:54 pm
SingIt wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
SingIt wrote:

Ha, I'm sure I did. Like I said, he was a ball breaker. Having read through the threads it seems he was banned because the moderators told him to not constantly post negative things as it violates the not being a douche rule (I thought that was the BST subform "rule") and he told them to f off and to ban him if they didn't like it because it was his right to post what he wanted. I say he, I have no clue who Panason is, but I'm not going to type out he/she or gender neutral they as it gets confusing when speaking of the moderators as they. Anyway, it's kind of a weak indication to ban someone IMO, and it certainly seems that people get banned without any transparency in what happened. Perhaps there should be a banned thread that announces when a member is banned and why. OF course it would turn into a shit show like every other remotely controversial thread here, so it could be locked so only moderators could post. It would educate forum members as to what it takes to get banned. Anyways, I came to think of Panason as another quirky MW character. I did not see him as the typical rabid GS user. I did not think he only contributed negativity. And I would not think anything he posted warranted being banned.

Anyways, I sold a lot of my Elektron boxes when I got my Cirklon. The Digitakt and Digitone were the first to go. I bought them to sequence the modular, and for additional sound sources. I became very frustrated by certain limitations of the MIDI sequencing side (though other features are great, like being able to send 8+ simultaneous MIDI CCs per step, and other features like individual clock divisions per sequence have been added since) and ultimately went the Cirklon route. It made me feel like I wanted to get away from instruments with built in sequencers and focus instead on the sound design aspect within the instrument and then sequence from the Cirklon. I ended up getting a PreenFM2 to replace it, which sounds great, but is cumbersome to use (I never use it). I have considered getting another one, or even the keys (if they had done it in the shape of the AK I would've preordered hands down). For now, I'm waiting to see what Korg's FM synth will be, if it materializes. But I'm keeping the Digitone in the back of my mind. Elektron do a very good job of streamlining workflow from a synthesis perspective. It does sacrifice a certain degree of control. In the end I wanted something with more options in terms of the synthesis side, but still maintaining hands on control. I think the Opsix will meet my criteria better than the Digitone. I have still recommended the Digitone to a lot of people.
Pretty sure he posted on GS and was banned from there as well.

But yeah, I understand when you get a cirklon it kind of minimizes having other sequencers. I love that thing. For me, the Digitone would be a mobile composer that I could plug in and trigger with DIN sync or (gasp) Overbridge when I’m ready to record. I’m in no rush to get anything, but I love FM synthesis and the fact that the Digitone seems to make it easier to use is appealing.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:40 am

It’s a great value for what it is. The size is a big plus. Combined with a Digitakt I feel like you can do a ton in a small and portable form factor. Combined with a power bank you can use it almost anywhere. It’s certainly appealing.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm

SingIt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 am
I’d have done it if he was still here, really makes no difference to me.
Well it makes to me. Attacking someone who can´t fight back is something I
loathe. But maybe we´re just communicating past each other, internet style.
Don´t take it personal :party:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:46 pm

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm
SingIt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 am
I’d have done it if he was still here, really makes no difference to me.
Well it makes to me. Attacking someone who can´t fight back is something I
loathe. But maybe we´re just communicating past each other, internet style.
Don´t take it personal :party:
Probably. I only said anything because reading through elektron threads here was torture due to that guy.

CoreInside
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CoreInside » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Return to “General Gear”