Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Re: Concerns about build quality anyone?

Post by Schrank » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Decdog wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am
I got my Digitone yesterday – happy days – all good but I realised that when I tap the faceplate, especially in the middle of the unit, there is a noticeable ‘reverb’, a slight sound sort of like when you hit a drum.

Basically it sounds like the faceplate is perhaps not fixed ‘flush’ with the internal bits, or maybe the faceplate on my unit is ever so slightly curved/bent, but just a fraction of a millimetre, giving this effect. The build quality feels solid otherwise, but this makes it feel a bit cheap, like they skimped out on internal fixings(!). :despair:

I tried tapping my finger firmly on the faceplate of my other gear, and none have this effect so noticeably (even my Tanzmaus lol). Tapping the similar looking Octatrack box for example it feels really solid and there is no ‘give’ (or reverberation) at all.

It makes me wonder if the Digitones/takts are just like this? For those of you with an Octatrack as well as Digitone/takt, for example, or any of the other bigger boxes, do you notice this effect on the DT/DN particularly?

If this is how they all are then fine – this in no way impacts on the use of the unit of course – and I’ll stop fixating on this! However if there have been quality control issues with my particular box I might just send it back/replace it.

I’ll try to do a video of this when I get home. Reflections appreciated! :)
I think my octatrack mk2 does that too. When i hit the buttons, it sounds like a spring reverb.
I thought this is normal but am not so sure anymore :confused:

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Re: Elektron Digitone

Post by Monofunk » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:18 am

There's a small "reverb sound" for me too.

Cadence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cadence » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Is this just the sound of the box or are you hearing it through the electronics?

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:05 pm

The acoustics of the box. It does not affect the audio.

Cadence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cadence » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 am

I see. I'll have to test mine to see. Guess I've been fairly gentle with mine and hadn't experienced it.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm

It's a little acoustic resonance that emits after pressing one of the buttons. If a room is quiet it's noticeable but it can be harder to hear when sound is coming from speakers.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:40 am

i have a project that wont load in 1.21. i get a load error.
i want to downgrade to 1.20 and see if it loads.
where can i find a download link for 1.20? https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitone ... /91447/242 this just links to 1.21...
if anyone has it on there computer, maybe in your downloads folder or something, if you could send it to me i’d appreciate it.
thanks

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:19 pm

ok. i found it, but unfortunately that didnt seem to do the trick. i still get "load error" when recalling a certain project. anyone else have any ideas? digitone dosnt seem to let you downgrade to anything earlier than 1.2 from 1.21. tried to go to 1.11 bout the tone would accept the sysex.
if i changed/removed some sounds that a project might have been referencing, would that cause a load error?

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 am

Maybe you could write Elektron and have one of them fix the proj. For you, send the file?

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Digitone and Roli Seaboard

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am

Hi, I need some help. I was trying to use a Roli Seaboard with the Digitone. No matter what I tried, it was no possible to play the Digitone because the filter cutoff and the filter type keep jumping aleatory. Cutoff was not assigned to incoming messages and the filter type is NO modulation destination... What’s happening?

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am

Not sure but to rule some things out try going to settings/midi config/port config and scroll to the bottom. Uncheck the box that says "receive cc/nrpn"

If that lets you play it without issue you might need to configure what the seaboard is putting out somehow.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm

estin wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am
Not sure but to rule some things out try going to settings/midi config/port config and scroll to the bottom. Uncheck the box that says "receive cc/nrpn"

If that lets you play it without issue you might need to configure what the seaboard is putting out somehow.
Thanks for your answer. I tried what you said and in fact it solved the problem. But then Digitone wouldn’t get any CC at all. I looked at the output of the Seaboard with Cubase midi inspector and I couldn’t find anything wrong, but I’ll keep searching.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Elektron Digitone with Roli Seaboard

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Problem solved. And this is how the Digitone can sound together with the Seaboard:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Orca midi sequencing the Elektron Digitone & Digitakt
for more info about Orca go here https://hundredrabbits.itch.io/orca

Club Mayz
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Concerns about build quality anyone?

Post by Club Mayz » Sun May 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Decdog wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am
I got my Digitone yesterday – happy days – all good but I realised that when I tap the faceplate, especially in the middle of the unit, there is a noticeable ‘reverb’, a slight sound sort of like when you hit a drum.
I got my Digitone Yesterday and I immediately got irritated by that sound. Every time you press a (also clicky) button, you hear this spring-reverbish sound. I just can’t understand this from a product design point of view. (Same for the bright-leds)

Anyway, today I noodled some more and I got used to the sound because man, this Digitone is addictive! It’s my first (heh, there, implied already) piece of Elektron kit and I’m impressed !!

I hope it will fit well in the studio and may many great songs emerge from it :mrgreen:

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I hope it's alright to revive this thread to share my 256-preset soundpack I created for the DN. If this is not allowed, please feel free to remove it.

Since I got the Digitone a year and a half ago, I’ve spent a lot of time creating my own soundpack. This soundpack is 256 presets covering everything from ethereal pads to searing leads, deep basses to alien fx, and everything in-between. I was surprised by how much I fell in love with this synth and can't imagine not having it in my studio.

You can hear 11 minutes of no talking samples here:

I've created a 14-sound demo of the soundpack which you can download here: https://bit.ly/SS1DNDemo8

You can get all 256 sounds from our Bandcamp page here: https://bit.ly/SS1DNBC

Enjoy!

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:33 pm

I just purchased one of these and noticed some strange behavior that could be the result of operator error.

About half of the presets sound just fine. Volume is rich and can be easily adjusted with the rotary volume control.

About a quarter of the presents produce no sound or almost no sound regardless of the volume control.

The remaining quarter produce slight sound but when I attempt to turn the volume all the way up, it cuts out almost like a faulty or dirty potentiometer would... like there is a dead spot when near fully clockwise that continues dead until fully clockwise.

I admit to being new to this device, so it could be operator error. I opened a ticket with Elektron, too, but thought perhaps one of you might have some advice.

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Provided that we're talking out-of-the-box factory presets without any parameter changes they shouldn't sound like that.

Your description sounds a bit like phase cancellation, but if that's the problem it should occur with other gear as well... Strange indeed. To be sure, did you check audio outputs/cables/headphones?

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm using a pair of DT990 Pros directly into Digitone. They work fine with all of my other gear and also with most of the factory sounds and presets (e.g. IMAGINE). I'm certain my headphones are clear. When I page through the sounds, some simply work fine, other works a little and some work not at all. The behavior of the volume control is odd to me. That it works through the entire turn for some sounds, but cuts out completely at or near full volume for others.

Curious, eh?

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Did you try a complete factory reset (hold func while powering on to enter the start menu) and/or upgrading to latest OS? If that doesn't work, i'd suspect a faulty unit i'm afraid.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

You might check track status [muted vs not muted] and track volume and the level control on the AMP page. All affect the volume of tracks and it takes a while to wrap your brain around what's doing what when. It can get scream-aloud frustrating till it suddenly becomes second nature.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm

My thanks to each of you. I've tried the following, but I'm still experiencing the same symptoms:

factory reset
upgraded to OS 1.3
ran in "test mode" - 0 errors

It could be a track problem, but I suspect that the factory reset would erase any changes I made while noodling. It does seem clear that the problem occurs most frequently (but consistently) with sounds marked "bass" and "hz", if that means anything.

I can tell already that this is an incredibly deep device.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Here is something interesting. When in "test mode", I accidentally dropped into “key test”. I don’t know if this is a useful diagnostic, but all of the keys show some kind of feedback on the “key test” display except “master volume”. When I turn “master volume” in key test nothing happens on the display.

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:19 pm

veets wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm
Here is something interesting. When in "test mode", I accidentally dropped into “key test”. I don’t know if this is a useful diagnostic, but all of the keys show some kind of feedback on the “key test” display except “master volume”. When I turn “master volume” in key test nothing happens on the display.
Checked this on my 1.30 unit just now. There is no display feedback for master volume during key test.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm

what gives? wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:19 pm
veets wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm
Checked this on my 1.30 unit just now. There is no display feedback for master volume during key test.
Drat! I thought had discovered something. ;)

Thanks!

Return to “General Gear”