Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by Biff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:00 am

Does anyone own two of these? I’m debating whether getting a second one would open up a lot or if the money would be better spent on a small eurorack expander for it (the former being much cheaper).

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 pm

I have one. I think getting other modules to compliment it would be the better solution. Something like a quadrax really sets it off right.

bitSmasher
Common Wiggler

Post by bitSmasher » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:46 am

Biff wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:00 am
Does anyone own two of these?
I bought two at once, and they're great fun together.
I do see the need for a bunch of mults, VCAs and mixers to make it all gel... so maybe factor some cheap utilities in to your budget.

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 am

I've found the main thing the Neutron benefits from, is having a few more attenuators available (home made passive ones are fine), and an extra multi or two (passive, home made or otherwise, also fine).

Another useful one is a preamp to boost from line level to modular level.

Any split rail preamp running on at least +/-12V, or +/- 9V (at a stretch) is useful, relatively simple to make, and remains relatively cheap to buy - but harder to source without hassle than it once was.

The 1/4" rear Audio In connection has no level boost, or other control, and is patched out too easily - the routing to the filter input is "normaled" (insert own spelling) via a switched 3.5mm jack socket.

If you patch an attenuator (recommended) or another module (e.g. the overdrive section) between the oscillators and the filter input, you lose Audio In - and it's inadequate for that purpose. It' actually a 1/4" modular level In, wired to a the switched or "normal" pin of the 3.5mm socket, IIRC.

Return to “General Gear”