Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

meatballfulton
Learning to Wiggle

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Thx for all the answers Andy.

I long ago got to used to modulars having quirks, pAiA is the poster boy for that :roll: Neutron doesn't seem to be nearly as weird.

I doubt I'll buy one until I'm convinced I can get enough use out of it standalone, no way I'm going back to the days of my old 44 space dotcom :help:

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 pm

You're welcome, meatballfulton.

In some ways, it's better behaved than my small collection of Doepfer modules. It's just been set up with some odd choices.

It's a bit like a patchable ARP Odyssey, but with a substance abuse problem. Calm it down a bit and it can seem quite rational.

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 pm

bitflip wrote:^ That's a good idea... i know i've seen felt washers somewhere, hmmm... :hmm:
I've used trumpet valve felt washers / bumpers... or at least, I think they're trumpet ones. I have different sorts and sizes, and I lose track of which are for what, but the ones I used were these:

https://www.dawkes.co.uk/valve-washer-1 ... catno=fa85

- two on each tuning pot shaft, to provide a bit more friction, so they don't turn quite so easily.

The 5.6mm hole in the middle is a good push fit, and it's a fairly common size, so other good music shops may have something similar.

The knobs pull off remarkably easily - unlike almost every guitar pedal I've ever taken apart.

deb76
Common Wiggler

Post by deb76 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 am

Quick question, is there a procedure to reset the Neutron? Let me explain, two or three days ago I tested a patch where I used the two attenuators to separately adjust the sweep of the two shapes via the LFO and the LFO Uni and it worked well. But this morning, when I turned it back on, it was blocked with the 6 leds of both Range flashing and no more effective functions. By acquirement of conscience, I reinstalled the last update, but nothing makes it, the Neutron continues to flash. Similarly, I consulted the manual but I did not see any procedure to perform a reset. In short, if someone has a solution, I'm interested ...

Moho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Moho » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:11 am

deb76 wrote:Quick question, is there a procedure to reset the Neutron? Let me explain, two or three days ago I tested a patch where I used the two attenuators to separately adjust the sweep of the two shapes via the LFO and the LFO Uni and it worked well. But this morning, when I turned it back on, it was blocked with the 6 leds of both Range flashing and no more effective functions. By acquirement of conscience, I reinstalled the last update, but nothing makes it, the Neutron continues to flash. Similarly, I consulted the manual but I did not see any procedure to perform a reset. In short, if someone has a solution, I'm interested ...
Factory reset procedure:
Wile pressing the "OSC SYNC", "PARAPHONIC" & "KEY TRK" buttons, power on the Neutron. The LFO LEDs should display a pulsating pattern.

Pot calibration:
While the LFO LEDs are pulsating, turn the OSC1 Shape pot fully counter-clockwise and the OSC2 Shape, LFO Shape, LFO Rate & Porta pots fully clockwise. When the pots have been correctly positioned, press VCF "MODE" and LFO "KEY SYNC" simultaneously.

After that the Neutron LEDs should now show the normal boot-up sequence.

deb76
Common Wiggler

Post by deb76 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Moho => "Factory reset procedure:
Wile pressing the "OSC SYNC", "PARAPHONIC" & "KEY TRK" buttons, power on the Neutron. The LFO LEDs should display a pulsating pattern.
Pot calibration:
While the LFO LEDs are pulsating, turn the OSC1 Shape pot fully counter-clockwise and the OSC2 Shape, LFO Shape, LFO Rate & Porta pots fully clockwise. When the pots have been correctly positioned, press VCF "MODE" and LFO "KEY SYNC" simultaneously.
After that the Neutron LEDs should now show the normal boot-up sequence."
Thank you for your reply. This is actually what I was told on another forum and it works. The Neutron has been unlocked with this procedure.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:27 pm

AndyHornBlower wrote:
bitflip wrote:^ That's a good idea... i know i've seen felt washers somewhere, hmmm... :hmm:
I've used trumpet valve felt washers / bumpers... or at least, I think they're trumpet ones. I have different sorts and sizes, and I lose track of which are for what, but the ones I used were these:

- two on each tuning pot shaft, to provide a bit more friction, so they don't turn quite so easily.

The 5.6mm hole in the middle is a good push fit, and it's a fairly common size, so other good music shops may have something similar.

The knobs pull off remarkably easily - unlike almost every guitar pedal I've ever taken apart.
AHA! Thanks for the tip, AndyHornBlower! :yay:

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:07 am

AndyHornBlower wrote:

Very good idea, I order four of these myself today to give them a try. Thanks.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

iguai
1-Post Wiggler

Post by iguai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi this is my first post on the forum.

Does anyone know how to get the Neutron's oscillators tuning to more closely match the knobs tick marks? I know there is no "perfect", but on my (recently purchased) Neutron, OSC A is ~ 1/3 past 12 o'clock to get a C, whereas OSC B is much more spot-on. Not the end of the world, just makes it a bit harder to quickly get the two oscillators in tune with each other.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Are the knobs on a Neutron held in place by a small 'set screw' located on the side of the knob? If so, use a small screwdriver to loosen the set screw and rotate the knob to the correct position and re-tighten the set screw.

trip96
1-Post Wiggler

First day, Wanted to See how smooth and creamy it can be.

Post by trip96 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 pm

First day with Neutron.

I see lots of songs and vids with aggressive sounds. Wanted to make a smooth creamy sound.

Wanted to see how hot the oscillators go into filter and if it will be problem for me.

No patching in this sound, totally naked patch bay. Paraphonic Mode. Recorded with EOS reverb on ipad in AUM. Sent to Auria Pro used basic compressor then mixed it down. Exported to soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-mackinnon ... nt-c-one-1

An alright start tone wise. Simple paraphonic playing with tons of reverb.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:03 am

Trip96 that is a nice creamy lead - SUCCESS!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Kravvall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kravvall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Someone help me figure out how to get some pitch into the neutron? I am thinking about getting one for some modulation of my (mostly drum) modular rig, and the neutron has a lot of options for that alone. But the osc sound so nice that i also want to use it. The thing is, looking into the future planning, in my current setup i wanna get a sequencer (thinking nerdseq) and some external synths for bassline/synths anyway. So what would be the easiest way to send some pitch cv from my modular to the neutron? I don't wanna have my pc involved, so usb via computer is kind of not really a thing for me. And i didn't find any modules that provide midi OUT.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by Kravvall on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Kravvall, you’re asking for the best sequencer for the Neutron?

There is no such thing. All Eurorack sequencers go well with all 1v/o input oscillators.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

Kravvall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kravvall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 pm

lisa wrote:Kravvall, you’re asking for the best sequencer for the Neutron?

There is no such thing. All Eurorack sequencers go well with all 1v/o input oscillators.
I'm asking for a module, or some way to convert 1v/o to midi, so i can sequence the Neutron. I am not asking for a specific sequencer, but rather a way to interact with things like the neutron that DON'T have a 1v/o input but only a MIDI input.
:)

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Kravvall wrote:

I'm asking for a module, or some way to convert 1v/o to midi, so i can sequence the Neutron. I am not asking for a specific sequencer, but rather a way to interact with things like the neutron that DON'T have a 1v/o input but only a MIDI input.
Forgive me if Im wrong here (Im very good at being wrong) as I have zero experience with the Neutron besides it being on my want list.

But... page 24 of the manual says that inputs for Ocs1, Osc2 and Osc1+2 are 1 volt per octave?

Anyway I think the Doepfer A-192-2 will do what you want if its other gear you want to interact with.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Kravvall wrote:

If you already have an analog 1volt per octave control source, why not just use that directly by patching it to the oscs's pitch mod inputs in the patchbay? Those inputs are supposed to be calibrated to 1volt per octave, according to the user manual. You should not need to convert the analog CV to midi and use the midi input.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Kravvall, I will come and take your Eurorack away!

Kravvall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kravvall » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:50 pm

mckenic wrote:Forgive me if Im wrong here (Im very good at being wrong) as I have zero experience with the Neutron besides it being on my want list.

But... page 24 of the manual says that inputs for Ocs1, Osc2 and Osc1+2 are 1 volt per octave?
Dave Peck wrote:If you already have an analog 1volt per octave control source, why not just use that directly by patching it to the oscs's pitch mod inputs in the patchbay? Those inputs are supposed to be calibrated to 1volt per octave, according to the user manual. You should not need to convert the analog CV to midi and use the midi input.
Ah, perfect thanks. I had the feeling I'm missing something here, i thought those osc input are an "audio in" to mix some audio into the neutron oscillator signal, stupid me, not looking into the manual.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Panason wrote:Kravvall, I will come and take your Eurorack away!
Noooo, i love it too much :hihi:

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:29 pm

:tu:

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Neutron help with sequencer.

Post by astromass » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:00 am

Hey
New to modular here. I’m attempting to sequence the neutron with a metropolis.

Gate out from metropolis to env1 input on neutron. Pitch output on metropolis to osc1/2 input. Output out heading into my mixer. This works correctly, but the note hangs once the sequencer stops...just drones on and on. The envelopes on the neutron have no effect. Shouldn’t the envelopes still work since they’re normalized?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

Allotropes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Allotropes » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:39 pm

AndyHornBlower wrote:The post I was referring to about the ATT1 CV routing is here:

viewtopic.php?p=2883548&highlight=#2883548
AndyHornBlower wrote:As it turns out, mine does not have the ASSIGN output normalised to the ATT1 CV input - that part of the manual is wrong, at least in my case.
- in the post after that, I pointed out the inconsistencies about it in the manual.

No one seemed to care, and I get that, but it would be nice to know if other people's are different to mine.
Sorry only just found this thread, yeah mine's is like that too. I got mine the first week it was released. It doesn't seem to have any of the problems (real or imagined) the later batch that hit USA supposedly did, judging by some comments on GS :whistle:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Re: Neutron help with sequencer.

Post by Panason » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:48 pm

astromass wrote:Hey
New to modular here. I’m attempting to sequence the neutron with a metropolis.

Gate out from metropolis to env1 input on neutron. Pitch output on metropolis to osc1/2 input. Output out heading into my mixer. This works correctly, but the note hangs once the sequencer stops...just drones on and on. The envelopes on the neutron have no effect. Shouldn’t the envelopes still work since they’re normalized?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks
VCA BIAS knob

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 am

Noticed over on 'slutz that someone's made an interactive patch template for the Newt, looks bit easier to use than modular grid and prints out the connections in a text format as you make them :)

https://patch-library.net/

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 am

v2.0 firmware and the app are now released

updates

New Features
• Added full support for the Neutron Application. For more details please see the
updated User Manual.
• Added Restore Default Parameters button combination.
• Added LFO One Shot mode.
• Added LFO Re-trigger option for overlapping notes.
• Added LFO rate Key Track – The LFO rate will double or halve for each octave played above or
below a user defined note.
• Added LFO Shape re-ordering – Any of the LFO shapes can be placed in any of the 5 available
locations, including duplicate shapes.
• Added LFO Phase offset – Each LFO slot can have an independently set phase offset
(configurable to 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270 or 315 degrees).
• Added the ability to set the maximum LFO Depth between 0-100%.
• The VCF in key track mode will track with porta & pitch bend.
• Added an internal VCF mod source with the following options:
Disabled, After Touch, Mod Wheel and Note On Velocity).
• Added the ability to set the Filter Mod Depth between 0-100%
• Added independent Auto Glide options for each oscillator. The user can set an auto glide range of
up to +12/-12 semitones. The rate of auto glide is defined by the Porta time control.
• Added configurable pitch bend range between 0-24 semitones (The same value is used for
both +’ve and -‘ve pitch bend ranges).
• Added note priority options of High, Low and Last note.
• Implemented Oscillator keyboard split for Oscillator 1 and 2. Oscillator 1 plays below the split
point and oscillator 2 plays above the split point (Also dependent on note priority).
• Added the ability to configure a maximum and minimum note numbers. This limits the MIDI
notes that the Neutron will respond to.
• Added the ability to Mute out of range notes.
• Implemented SysEx commands for all configurable settings, including MIDI Channel selection.
• OSC 2 can now be configured to ignore incoming MIDI notes.

Return to “General Gear”