Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Neutron Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by kr236rk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 am

r05c03 wrote:
Wut?
Like, I play a note from an organ into Neutron (analogue input jack) and want that note held & synthesized (output) for 5 minutes, without the effect dipping away into silence, how do you control or set the Neutron for that please?

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 am

Dime the release phase of both the filter and VCA (Env 1 and Env 2)? If that does not work open up the VCA with the VCA bias knob.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:37 am

kr236rk wrote:
r05c03 wrote:
Wut?
Like, I play a note from an organ into Neutron (analogue input jack) and want that note held & synthesized (output) for 5 minutes, without the effect dipping away into silence, how do you control or set the Neutron for that please?
I'm afraid you won't be able to do this with the Neutron..this isn't what synthesizers are made for. You're thinking more of sampling or re-synthesis. There is probably some software that will do it.

Some reading is in order.

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kr236rk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 am

Panason wrote:
I'm afraid you won't be able to do this with the Neutron..this isn't what synthesizers are made for. You're thinking more of sampling or re-synthesis. There is probably some software that will do it.

Like reading :)

This is one held note going through the Neutron.

https://soundcloud.com/rickemper/neutrino

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm

kr236rk wrote:
Panason wrote:

Like reading :)

This is one held note going through the Neutron.

https://soundcloud.com/rickemper/neutrino
Yeah, you will need to hold the key down on the organ for 5 minutes, and have the VCA bias turned up on the synth. Or use a pedal such as this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gine-pedal
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kr236rk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Cool pedal ;)

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Has anyone noticed their Neutron having white noise whenever you press a key? It's the same type of deal as the noise on the ms-20 mini, except I'd go so far to as to say it's more pronounced on my Neutron. Bypassing the delay and overdrive and just taking audio from the VCA out doesn't change anything. It can't be filtered so it must be noise from the VCA. It's a noisy machine and I expected a lot of the other quirks, but since I never heard about this I wonder if something's up with mine. Most noticeable on sinewavey organ patches, which I'm enjoying with this thing. I'll attach a file. I also realize the hypocrisy of my post alongside my signature-- which I stand by! I do love noise. But at the same time something doesn't seem quite right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kr236rk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:04 pm

It's an analogue beast, I understood 'noise' was all part of the deal? :|

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

kr236rk wrote:It's an analogue beast, I understood 'noise' was all part of the deal? :|
That’s fine if that’s how it’s supposed to be and what I described is how everyone’s is. Is that how yours is?

artisticspider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by artisticspider » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:37 am

Wow ... Yeah that noise is very noticeable. I'm curious to know more about this as well. I was thinking about picking one of these up, but if everything you do has noisy undertones, I'm not sure I'm into that.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am

Hey all, first post from me. A long time ago I owned 80s hardware synths, Alpha Juno, DX5, TX816 & TX16W. Sold them all for VSTs almost 20 years ago and life has intervened in my dreams, but I am ready to come back.

Now I am excited to rejoin the hardware world with semi-modular. Tomorrow I will take delivery of a Neutron, a Minibrute 2S & Rackbrute 6. If things work out then I will start filling up my rack with goodies. I'm looking around at granular choices to start, and maybe some multifunction like the Disting.

Hopefully the aforementioned noise problems aren't too bad.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 am

Haven't really noticed increased noise when the VCA envelope is open, just some background noise- I just put a gate on it. Of course this is no hi-fi synth, its Behringer!

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:21 am

Bypassing the delay section (via the mod matrix) cuts down on the noise.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am

blakflag wrote:Hey all, first post from me. A long time ago I owned 80s hardware synths, Alpha Juno, DX5, TX816 & TX16W. Sold them all for VSTs almost 20 years ago and life has intervened in my dreams, but I am ready to come back.

Now I am excited to rejoin the hardware world with semi-modular. Tomorrow I will take delivery of a Neutron, a Minibrute 2S & Rackbrute 6. If things work out then I will start filling up my rack with goodies. I'm looking around at granular choices to start, and maybe some multifunction like the Disting.

Hopefully the aforementioned noise problems aren't too bad.
Welcome! Enjoy your new synths.

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kr236rk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 am

D_Bowman wrote:
kr236rk wrote:It's an analogue beast, I understood 'noise' was all part of the deal? :|
That’s fine if that’s how it’s supposed to be and what I described is how everyone’s is. Is that how yours is?
Couldn't be happier - what's not to like? :despair:

neutrino

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I asked Behringer support and they said it sounds about right when he tested his out. Although it seems he had a harder time hearing it when he duplicated the patch on his so I’m guessing mine might be a little noisier than the average Neutron but still normal. I dig the synth though and would recommend it to anyone into a unique lofi sound.

vitriolix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vitriolix » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:15 pm

D_Bowman wrote:Thanks for the replies. I asked Behringer support and they said it sounds about right when he tested his out. Although it seems he had a harder time hearing it when he duplicated the patch on his so I’m guessing mine might be a little noisier than the average Neutron but still normal. I dig the synth though and would recommend it to anyone into a unique lofi sound.
I've had a lot of noise with mine as well and wanted to verify that it wasn't a bad unit, can you describe the patch you tested with here? I'll recreate when I get home tonight and share my sound

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm

The patch here was very simple. Most settings at zero. No modulation at all or anything. Triangle/sinewave on the oscillators. Filter cutoff at noonish.

Funch

Post by Funch » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Was able to get one of these new for $214. Its is better then expected, except the color of course. Some folks say it looks better in person than on internet photos. It does look a little better but the color and graphics still don't match my preference, which is black panel.

The solution was one of the Graydon Audio PCB black panel overlays and it is as advertised. It came in a small square box so it didn't lay flat out of the box. A pile of books on a flat counter overnight solved that issue.

I choose to just go ahead and peal the adhesive cover and stick it to the neutron panel, although that's not required if you don't want a permanent mount. There's also a protective cover sheet over the Graydon panel that needs to be peeled and the install was easy and flawless.

The simple Graphics keeps the panel looking uncluttered. Highly recommended if you're into black panels.

https://graydonaudio.com

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:49 pm

D_Bowman wrote:Has anyone noticed their Neutron having white noise whenever you press a key? It's the same type of deal as the noise on the ms-20 mini, except I'd go so far to as to say it's more pronounced on my Neutron. Bypassing the delay and overdrive and just taking audio from the VCA out doesn't change anything. It can't be filtered so it must be noise from the VCA. It's a noisy machine and I expected a lot of the other quirks, but since I never heard about this I wonder if something's up with mine. Most noticeable on sinewavey organ patches, which I'm enjoying with this thing. I'll attach a file. I also realize the hypocrisy of my post alongside my signature-- which I stand by! I do love noise. But at the same time something doesn't seem quite right.
For the sake of wrapping up what I had mentioned above for the record: I've found that all the points where the Neutron can get noisy (hardwired into the VCF, the overdrive, and the VCA) can all be resolved by patching everything manually on the panel. It ends up using all of attenuators but it does it. That being said, I prefer the noisy version! But it's nice to be able to get a very clean sound if need be.

mrcoffee883
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrcoffee883 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Long time lurker here, finally bothering to post.

I hated on Behringer for years, but I have to admit I'm really liking my Model D and Neutron. I have hesitated to get into modular for years, now I'm chomping at the bit to get more modules! Thinking about Maths after watching loopop's video on it...

-m

ATW
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by ATW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Regarding the noise — you've probably already done this: in addition to turning the delay mix to zero and/or bypassing, and turning down the overdrive parameters, try turning the vca bias down to zero.

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by kr236rk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Soundtrack made with the Behringer 'D' plugged into the Neutron, midi-controlled by an Akai EWI - the recording software was Mixcraft 7.

https://youtu.be/FZr_dtYmzcs

psy_dive
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by psy_dive » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:53 pm

azrrik wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 am
Broadwave wrote:Oh, oh... I'm having a bit of a problem with external CV control of the Neutron's VCOs.

If I use the Neutron via MIDI (Roland System 8/Kronos) everything sounds fine with both VCOs scaling correctly, but if I use either the Arturia Keystep/System 8 or ARP 2600 Keyboard CV output (BTW, all 3 are calibrated for precisely 1V/Oct) and plug it into the VCO 1&2 input, the Neutron's VCO scaling is way out, to the point of being unuseable with a CV based keyboard.

I'm going to try and rescale the VCOs with the internal trimmers for external CV control, but I suspect that I won't be able to use it via MIDI afterwards, unless there's also a trimmer somewhere for MIDI CV scaling :hmm: :despair:

I'm also going to do the sync mod, the default is dreadful.
Did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm trying to do the same thing, control the neutron via CV from my Hermod. When the neutron powers up, the V / Octave seems to be offset by some really low midi note, probably 0. So using one of the single 8,16 or 32 range settings results in the VCO operating between the 0hz - 40hz. However, if I send the Neutron a middle C via midi, then all subsequent notes played via CV are in the audible range.

So it seems that the issue is the V / Octave control is always adding the last midi note played (or 0 at startup) as an offset. It would be great if this could be disabled or set to some useful default value at startup...
its annoying that after every powercycle, you need to send it a midi note to get the oscillators up to speed before you can properly sequence it with CV :/

has nobody found a solution or spoke with behringer about it? This should be easy to fix..

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:21 pm

psy_dive wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:53 pm
its annoying that after every powercycle, you need to send it a midi note to get the oscillators up to speed before you can properly sequence it with CV :/

has nobody found a solution or spoke with behringer about it? This should be easy to fix..
That does seem like something that could be fixed in a firmware update. The problem there would be getting their attention, and getting them to actually fix it.

Is it consistent? I've only ever played mine through MIDI. I mean, does it always play the same note for zero volts, after a power cycle?

If so, you could work around it by adding an offset - e.g. with an offset attenuator, or with something like the Doepfer A-185-2 Precision Adder.

Alternatively, is it something that can be set with their Synth Tool? I've never used that - I'm on one of mrf's custom firmwares instead.

Return to “General Gear”