Behringer Pro-One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 pm

computer controlled wrote:
syzygywell wrote:Wait! What, you're in the USA and you got yours already!!?? I'm on the preorder list for Sweetwater and nothing has come up yet.
You're much better off buying from Thomann. Cheaper and you'll get it faster.
Thanks I did just that. Cancelled my Sweetwater order. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Re: Behringer Pro-One

Post by syzygywell » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 pm

So I cancelled my order from sweetwater and bought this from thomann however the power supply it ships with is useless here in the states. Is there a different one that is safe to use?

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:23 pm

A euro to US plug adapter will suffice.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:33 pm

ignore
Last edited by flashheart on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm

tenembre wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:23 pm
Europe uses 220V and the US is 110V - you need more than a simple adapter. :doh: Probably a universal PSU isn't it...
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:17 pm

flashheart wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:23 pm
Europe uses 220V and the US is 110V - you need more than a simple adapter. :doh: Probably a universal PSU isn't it...
If you are able to look carefully at what Thomann shipped, you will see that it's a universal adapter, with different types of plugs you can slide in and out. Therefore, you can use a plug adapter.

I know this because I ordered a Pro-One from Thomann myself, and I use a euro to US plug adapter.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks I just ordered a new Behringer US version. I actually quite hate these and wish they just used the 3 prong PSU. In fact I'm about to order 15 3 prong extension cords to get these wall warts out of my powerstrips. They are part of satan.

hifienvelope
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by hifienvelope » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm

3phase wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 pm
DMR wrote:Based on these comments on Gearslutz, which is in reference to the OB-Xa derived synth, I wouldn't be surprised if the envelope is digital. Cool Audio (Behringer) doesn't make a 3310 IC.

such a bullshit.. the envelope on the bro one sounds shit.. slugisch.. inconsistent on parameter changes, stiff as a digital envelop. Its a total miss conception that the filter adds more to the character of a synth than the envelopes. I think its close to fraud to sell an all analog clone with digital envelopes.
I think that for the price point they've done a good job. The envelopes are not ideal, but being digital there is room and possibility for improvement. Considering how affordable the bro-1 is, you can always bypass the internal envelope to your envelope of choice in the modular setting. Having said that, I will be okay with the envelope on board. I am still looking for a work around for the ext gate in issue. My current work around using a bsp was to go out midi from the bsp to midi in on bro-1. I had to set both devices on midi channel 2 as with them both set on channel 1, the play message from the bsp toggled the bro-1's internal sequencer 'on' (which I obviously didn't want). I have a ticket with Behringer so if I find out anything useful I'll be sure to share.

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 am

Still waiting for the arrival of my ordered Pro-One here. I am eager to try this synth with my Eurorack filter modules for the exploration of sound sculpting.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 am

This thing sounds so good. Lots of beef and fat =o]
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by Ebotronix » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 am

they fixed the ext gate issue with firmware 1.2.8!
Last edited by Ebotronix on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:07 am

I agree that the digital envelopes are not very good sounding compared to analog.

Envelopes are key to the sound, after osc and filter. I have many different ones in my modular and all have their sound character. I am very sad that Uli does not get this. It has an impact on sound, and it is causing his clones to sound more sterile than the originals. An analog synth does not have many bells and whistles if you do not nail the basic sound right (as being "alive" like good analog is) you do not have much.

They are well manufactured and designed my bet is some will last longer than originals, but without some of the magic. And sounding more sterile.

I am not sure if I will buy some more of this stuff. It is like 80-90% there...

thomachine
Common Wiggler

Post by thomachine » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 am

Envelopes are an important part of the sound of a synth. But to say that nobody can emulate good envelopes in the digital domain is stupid. Its just about finding the rigth amount of logaritmic and exponential cuves and times. And digital envelopes can be updated via firmware. Like behringer has done in the last firmware update.

I dont have any problems with the envs in the Behringer Pro-1. It does have a narrow range of the knobs where alot happens, but those who use the original says its is like that on those as well. Maybe not that sensitive around 12 o'clock, but i havent compared them directly.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm

Okay so I ordered a power supply from my volts since the one thomann shipped was with the EU attachment only. Except this doesn't work, the unit is not powering up. What else can I use? I don't have a step down plug for EU to US power. I know computer controlled ordered from the EU to the US what are you using?

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:35 am

syzygywell wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm
Okay so I ordered a power supply from my volts since the one thomann shipped was with the EU attachment only. Except this doesn't work, the unit is not powering up. What else can I use? I don't have a step down plug for EU to US power. I know computer controlled ordered from the EU to the US what are you using?
I ordered mine from Thomann as well. I'm using the power supply for my Mother 32. Works great. 12V, 1200mA, center positive.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 am

great thanks!

ETA: The EU to US plug adapter works fine however I'm being sent a proper PSU for the US from Myvolts so that should fix that.

dopeboy_magic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dopeboy_magic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Does polychain work with cv? I was going to rack the bro-1 with polychain on and send cv to my sci pro1.

the polychain literature just talks about midi and I think you lose the midi out when racked, yes?
Last edited by dopeboy_magic on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoneswithoutpeople
Common Wiggler

Post by zoneswithoutpeople » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 am

Damn, this thing sounds incredible. Really nails the pro one sound... the envelopes are so punchy and percussive, reminds me of my SH-101 somehow. Not sure why this synth sounds so much better than a lot of modern monos... must be some magic in those Curtis chips.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 am

zoneswithoutpeople wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 am
the envelopes are so punchy and percussive, reminds me of my SH-101 somehow
TBH I also used to think that the 101´s envelope is punchy, but after compared it with the Roland/Malekko modules, I realized that they aren´t as fast as I thought. I still think the 101 is kinda punchy but in a different way, that is not a consequence of a fast envelope but a combination of it with the VCA and VCF response to it

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:21 am

pulled the trigger on one....had to :tu:
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 am

update: received it and i have to admit its a total beast. actually tempted to get another one for the price.
TOO FAR GONE

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:07 am

Grabbed a Pro 1 and an RD-8 this week and couldn't be happier with them.

It's easy to be pedantic but for very little outlay you get to play with classic analogue gear
without the maintenance.
Last edited by Daisy on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

beatkamp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beatkamp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm

I just installed a Pro-1 into my KB37 and instantly noticed that the gate input was not working at all. After checking I saw this was a major bug that was fixed with an update. So I from that I understood the envelopes are not at all analogue. Ok, that sucks. Then I try to find the SYSEX file on the Behringer website to update this thing... nowhere. I have to use their software. No instructions, no indication of what revision on OSX it supports, no Linux version and I have to remove the module from the KB37 to do the update as the USB header is required. Borrow a friend's PC... update... ok so now the gate works properly.

Next I go through testing and find that under CV/Gate control the GLIDE function does not work at all!!!!! It works under MIDI control but not with CV/Gate. How was this missed???? Or is it supposed to?

Also, you cannot disable keyboard control when using CV/Gate! Another massive bug. The switch does absolutely nothing.

What is the point of advertising it as a module if it cannot fully function as one?

I have spent way too much time on this crap instead of playing and its ruining the whole "new synth" experience.
= Scrits were the almost certainly mythical
= creatures which Dwellers blamed when
= anything went badly wrong anywhere
= in their vicinity.

beatkamp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beatkamp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

ie) KYBD OFF for OSCILLATOR B does not work
= Scrits were the almost certainly mythical
= creatures which Dwellers blamed when
= anything went badly wrong anywhere
= in their vicinity.

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 pm

beatkamp wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm
I just installed a Pro-1 into my KB37 and instantly noticed that the gate input was not working at all. After checking I saw this was a major bug that was fixed with an update. So I from that I understood the envelopes are not at all analogue. Ok, that sucks. Then I try to find the SYSEX file on the Behringer website to update this thing... nowhere. I have to use their software. No instructions, no indication of what revision on OSX it supports, no Linux version and I have to remove the module from the KB37 to do the update as the USB header is required. Borrow a friend's PC... update... ok so now the gate works properly.

Next I go through testing and find that under CV/Gate control the GLIDE function does not work at all!!!!! It works under MIDI control but not with CV/Gate. How was this missed???? Or is it supposed to?

Also, you cannot disable keyboard control when using CV/Gate! Another massive bug. The switch does absolutely nothing.

What is the point of advertising it as a module if it cannot fully function as one?

I have spent way too much time on this crap instead of playing and its ruining the whole "new synth" experience.

No glide isn't surprising, small point of reference/comparison, Mother 32 glide doesn't work with cv either. You'll have to use cv slew if you want glide by cv. Interesting about the OSC B keyboard on/off not working with cv. Submit to Behringer support, they've been really good at responding and reacting to some of the feature requests/bugs that I've submitted for the Pro-1. Maybe can be fixed with firmware, maybe not.

Return to “General Gear”