Behringer Pro-One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Koekepan wrote:Make with the soul.
If I didn't know better I'd think you're referring to "making music"
Please stick to the topic, i.e. "deciding on which shiny new toys to buy"

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:34 pm

GrantB wrote:
Koekepan wrote:I don't look for soul in the machines.

I've listened to a performance from a dazzlingly talented young artist, who went on to become a professor of his chosen instrument. (Classical, by the way, not electronic.) He played every note with perfect intonation. There was no sloppiness, and his metronomic delivery was magnificent.

I might as well have listened to a MIDI file rendition.

I've also listened to blues licks by a guy who didn't learn them in any academy, but playing with his folks since he was a kid. He was old at that time, and his playing was delightfully expressive, despite some technical deficiencies. His instrument was not fancy or expensive. Honestly, I don't know for a fact that he could even read music, and I strongly doubt that he could have afforded a better instrument.

His playing really touched an emotional nerve.

If you can afford a stack of Genuine Originals (tm), to maintain and repair and refurbish them, good for you. I'm really not that impressed.

I'm a lot more impressed by the kid who scratches together some incredibly crappy tools, but makes music that really reaches an audience. Timbre Wolf? Chinese built tele ripoff through Behringer pedals into a pawn shop recovery crate amp? Don't care.

Make with the soul.
You realize that Uli is the first guy and Dave is the second guy, right?
I found this dope video of Uli playing the guitar

[video][/video]

Sigh, can't seem to get videos to embed anywhere...

Edit: Nvm, also back on topic. Something something, mumble, Pro One!

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Hyberus wrote:
When I listen to Welcome to the Machine, or On the Run, I know exactly what I'm listening to from any excerpt of it. If someone recreated those songs using Behringer synths, would I know? Probably not, but I would know that it was inspired creatively by Moog and not Behringer
Those were both EMS VCS3.
AKS, as far as "on the run" is concerned, just to be pedantic...

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Chopper wrote:
Hyberus wrote:
When I listen to Welcome to the Machine, or On the Run, I know exactly what I'm listening to from any excerpt of it. If someone recreated those songs using Behringer synths, would I know? Probably not, but I would know that it was inspired creatively by Moog and not Behringer
NOT pedantic. Factual. And thank you for that.

'Welcome to the Machine' was Synthi, Minimoog and Solina/String Ensemble.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:16 am

MindMachine wrote:
Chopper wrote:
Hyberus wrote:
NOT pedantic. Factual. And thank you for that.

'Welcome to the Machine' was Synthi, Minimoog and Solina/String Ensemble.
Actually, I understand the VCS3 was used for the doppler sound.

Off topic, but I just played the track and realised it is the mot influential track in my life, listening to it before school when I was 12.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Behringer Pro-1 Official Demo Video

New demo video posted today. Really hoping this turns out to be the beast we all want it to be.
TOO FAR GONE

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

In stock at Thomann. I got is shipped to U.S. for $341.00
F/S Joranalogue Filter 8

Man-In-A-Suitcase
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:35 am

Ordered one too, should be here this week!

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:02 pm

That sounds pretty convincing!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 pm

miles_macquarrie wrote:In stock at Thomann. I got is shipped to U.S. for $341.00
whoa.
TOO FAR GONE

DubplateDerek
Common Wiggler

Post by DubplateDerek » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:07 pm

It sounds great IMO. I think it should pair very nicely with the Neutron.
Cases and side panels for all sorts of modular and other stuff :

www.gouldcaseworks.nl

www.instagram.com/gould_case_works

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm sure this is answered here somewhere, but if you want an ethical Pro One right now, is a Prophet 6 in unison mode (or the Rev 2) going to give you that mood?

This is the first behringer remake I'd consider buying. But ignoring price, curious what the Prophet 6 desktop in monosynth setting, or Rev 2, provides.

Did behringer source or remanufacture any chips or anything that DSI hasn't been able to recreate?

(((EMP)))
Learning to Wiggle

Post by (((EMP))) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Totally want one of these. Sounds pretty damn good.

toxoplasma_gondii
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:12 pm

EPTC wrote:I'm sure this is answered here somewhere, but if you want an ethical Pro One right now, is a Prophet 6 in unison mode (or the Rev 2) going to give you that mood?

This is the first behringer remake I'd consider buying. But ignoring price, curious what the Prophet 6 desktop in monosynth setting, or Rev 2, provides.

Did behringer source or remanufacture any chips or anything that DSI hasn't been able to recreate?
I'm not sure what exactly is "unethical" about the Behringer Pro-1, but to answer your question: Behringer are using their Cool Audio CEM3340 VCO and 3320 VCF clone chips in the Pro-1, whereas the Prophet-6 uses discrete VCOs and VCFs, and the VCF is based on the (Prophet 5 Rev 2) SSM2040, not the 3320. The gain-staging is also quite different for a monosynth vs a polysynth in unison. I would also say that the Pro-1 has a more advanced modulation section (not even counting the CV ins/outs), though I suppose that's debatable. With the Pro-1, the different sources can either be routed directly to destinations or controlled by the mod wheel, whereas Pro-6 mod wheel can only control LFO amount, with the Polymod section being static (it also offers aftertouch, however). As for the Prophet 8 Rev 2, I don't really think that would capture the same character as a Pro-1 at all.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:33 pm

EPTC wrote: but if you want an ethical Pro One right now...

This made me cry laughing.....
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 pm

EPTC wrote:I'm sure this is answered here somewhere, but if you want an ethical Pro One right now, is a Prophet 6 in unison mode (or the Rev 2) going to give you that mood?

I think dsi stuff tended to be pretty off the shelf designs from what i remember.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:44 am

I feel like i've stepped into Gearslutz.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Man-In-A-Suitcase
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 am

Too late everyone. Thomann has sold out all first 1000 units of the B Pro 1.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am

toxoplasma_gondii wrote:Behringer are using their Cool Audio CEM3340 VCO and 3320 VCF clone chips in the Pro-1, whereas the Prophet-6 uses discrete VCOs and VCFs, and the VCF is based on the (Prophet 5 Rev 2) SSM2040, not the 3320. The gain-staging is also quite different for a monosynth vs a polysynth in unison. I would also say that the Pro-1 has a more advanced modulation section (not even counting the CV ins/outs), though I suppose that's debatable. With the Pro-1, the different sources can either be routed directly to destinations or controlled by the mod wheel, whereas Pro-6 mod wheel can only control LFO amount, with the Polymod section being static (it also offers aftertouch, however). As for the Prophet 8 Rev 2, I don't really think that would capture the same character as a Pro-1 at all.
Wow, Great answer!
toxoplasma_gondii wrote:I'm not sure what exactly is "unethical" about Behringer
:omg:

Eh...(fights back urge to link dictionary definition describing moral principles that govern behavior or the conducting of an activity!) - It's cool, man. But just one example: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018 ... n-dollars/

I'll likely get one of these and probably an B-808 too. But unethical is a kindness of phrasing on my part. And the Bro One does sound very good.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:56 am

3hands wrote:This made me cry laughing.....
Haha! Thanks for catching that. :hihi:

I mean I'd prefer to get a real one in some manufactured sense. I happily picked up one of the last Model D reissues and paid it off in ten Behringer D installments. But the demo on the Pro One here sounds wonderful and I love the desktop / no keyboard design, too.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm

don´t need to go that far, just buy a Toraiz AS-1 that is 1 voice of the P6 and you are in the game for that Pro-1ish sound

BTW, the AS-1 is a terrific synth that could be amazing with a better UI

apbianco
Learning to Wiggle

New review up

Post by apbianco » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:49 pm

I've been waiting for that one - I'm currently watching it:

ThisDudeAbides
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThisDudeAbides » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:14 pm

anselmi wrote:

don´t need to go that far, just buy a Toraiz AS-1 that is 1 voice of the P6 and you are in the game for that Pro-1ish sound

BTW, the AS-1 is a terrific synth that could be amazing with a better UI

100% agree. INHALT makes a user bank that is made to pay homage to the Pro1:

I had an AS1 and only sold it because I got a Prophet 6.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Wow, yeah! Thank you both! Those videos really are convincing.

Holy cow, the Toraiz is only $499 - So it's just $150 more to send cash to the right people.

The soundtower editor shows a rockin good panel of what's editable, too

I imagine all that can be mapped to another controller.

Thanks much - I'm loving the sound of the Toraiz.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 pm

I love that they retained the mod-wheel as a modulation amount source ...... and there's no mod-wheel on it. These folks really know how to innovate!

Return to “General Gear”