Behringer Pro-One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:28 pm

I bought a bro one from Thomann. Already hit German customs. I dont give a fuck

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 am

EPTC wrote:Wow, yeah! Thank you both! Those videos really are convincing.
Holy cow, the Toraiz is only $499 - So it's just $150 more to send cash to the right people.
Better yet: you are paying for the extra features like (a lot of) memories for the patches and sequences.
The sequencer is also better than the one on the Pro-1 and also you have a double FX processor too.
This is a rare case where the presets patches and sequences are great. They really shows the true potential of the synth. The sequences are specially good. Sometimes you call a preset that seems to be meh, but just hit play and it started to show how great it can be in use. I highly recommend you to play the sequence associated to each patch.

also: the LFO is syncable, the FX too, it response to after touch and velocity, have a resonant HPF, have a sub-oscillator, oscillators waveshapes are morphable, and the touch keyboard is handy.
The soundtower editor shows a rockin good panel of what's editable, too
I imagine all that can be mapped to another controller.
yep, all synth parameter can be controlled via CC
also, the ribbon is an interesting way to control up to 7 parameters at once. You can´t choose which parameters, but it have programmable direction and range for each one and it can be saved with each patch

HerrX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HerrX » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:56 am

I was late to the Model D party, having taken a gear-snobbery driven detour to an SE-02, which i never enjoyed because of the tiny knobs, cramped panel and inexcusably wobbly rotary switches. After a moment of clarity (quite possibly aided but a recent Lexapro Rx), I repented from my mis-guided snobbery, sold the SE-02 and bought the Boog, and damn if I haven't been wiggling non- stop on it since it showed up. Frigging LOVE it.

I'm not about to be late to the Bro-1 party. I had a real one 15 years ago, the good one, J-wire keyboard, chassis mounted PS, and good grief the build quality was atrocious. I know it was built to a price, but it was really bad, and even worse today considering the absurd prices they're going for.

Just like my Boog, I'll happily buy a Bro-1 and wiggle away. I just can't decide if I'm going to buy a K-2 first.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 am

the Boog is great for $200, worth more but not a huge fan of the CEM chips, aside from the 3340s PWM options, they didn't use those. it's cool, a bit boring, more interesting than an old Pro-1. No rush will grab one for $200 next year...due to the cv/gate options.
!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 am

Sounds rather good.
Looks rather good too.

Behringer are knocking it out of the park...sound for sound, I would choose this over the Sub37...but that's just my taste.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:24 am

I love my Prophet 6, but it most certainly does not sound like a Pro One. Nor does the Toraz DJ mono thing. The Pro One has a vicious side to it when pushed, and the Bro One has that violent streak to it - it sounds awesome. Can't wait to grab one and whip up those nasty Fad Gadget-like growls.

Borogove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Borogove » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 am

Sir Ruff wrote:I love that they retained the mod-wheel as a modulation amount source ...... and there's no mod-wheel on it.
What’s even crazier is that the oscillators can tune to different notes even though there’s no keyboard!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:24 am

Borogove wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I love that they retained the mod-wheel as a modulation amount source ...... and there's no mod-wheel on it.
What’s even crazier is that the oscillators can tune to different notes even though there’s no keyboard!
:roll:

My point is that modulation wheels are not standard on controllers the way they once were, and yet they left this very archaic way of controlling modulation intact without even providing a separate CV in for that.

They could’ve thought of a better way of controlling modulation amount (like a CV modulation input) or even removing entirely and adding a second LFO or something ( so this would require a degree of imagination that clearly B does not possess). Instead I’m guessing that method of routing is going to be unused by a lot of folks.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Borogove wrote:

My point is that modulation wheels are not standard on controllers the way they once were, and yet they left this very archaic way of controlling modulation intact without even providing a separate CV in for that.

They could’ve thought of a better way of controlling modulation amount (like a CV modulation input) or even removing entirely and adding a second LFO or something ( so this would require a degree of imagination that clearly B does not possess). Instead I’m guessing that method of routing is going to be unused by a lot of folks.
Not if it responds to MIDI from the DAW it won't.

Borogove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Borogove » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Borogove wrote:

There’s a “mod wh cv” jack on the panel — can’t seem to find a manual on the Behringer site but I assume that’s CV control of the mod wheel parameter. What keyboard controllers besides the tiniest/cheapest 25-keys don’t have a mod wheel? Even the base Keystep has a MW touch strip. Anyone using that kind of controller is probably using a DAW so they can hand author mod wheel automation if they care to. How is a mod wheel more archaic than CV?

grantb5
Common Wiggler

Post by grantb5 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Borogove wrote: There’s a “mod wh cv” jack on the panel — can’t seem to find a manual on the Behringer site but I assume that’s CV control of the mod wheel parameter. What keyboard controllers besides the tiniest/cheapest 25-keys don’t have a mod wheel? Even the base Keystep has a MW touch strip. Anyone using that kind of controller is probably using a DAW so they can hand author mod wheel automation if they care to. How is a mod wheel more archaic than CV?
Yeah, a proper manual and specs would be great. The thing they have up there now is pretty thin.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 pm

Borogove wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Borogove wrote:

There’s a “mod wh cv” jack on the panel — can’t seem to find a manual on the Behringer site but I assume that’s CV control of the mod wheel parameter. What keyboard controllers besides the tiniest/cheapest 25-keys don’t have a mod wheel? Even the base Keystep has a MW touch strip. Anyone using that kind of controller is probably using a DAW so they can hand author mod wheel automation if they care to. How is a mod wheel more archaic than CV?
didn't see mod CV jack--must have been added later

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Borogove wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Borogove wrote:

didn't see mod CV jack--must have been added later
the is one now, and it´s great since you can assign up to 3 modulators to this bus with their own modulation range and different modulation targets, then use a single CV to make a simultaneous transition from one modulation state to the other and back

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:00 pm

the Pro 1 landed today
the first test was sobering
I tested the synth with my Doepfer A 198 Ribbon Controller.
the external gate/clock cv in doesn't work.
the Pro 1 ADSR (gate/clock cvin)doesn't receive a continious gate.
and the sequencer does nothing with OSC CV in.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Ebotronix wrote:the Pro 1 landed today
Guessing you are not a beta tester?
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:12 am

MindMachine wrote:
I'm a beta tester for Flame and 4 ms.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 am

Good to know. Thank you.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

DMR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DMR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:25 am

MindMachine wrote:
Everyone who buys a Behringer product is a beta tester.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:26 am

DMR wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
Everyone who buys a Behringer product is a beta tester.
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 pm

As the original, it requires a rather high voltage, slightly above what the doepfer ribbon provides... Do you have anything else you could test it with? Or can you amplify your gate signal somehow?
Ebotronix wrote: the Pro 1 ADSR (gate/clock cvin)doesn't receive a continious gate.
Same as above...
Ebotronix wrote: and the sequencer does nothing with OSC CV in.
That's normal, in the sense that having something in the OSC IN bypasses it. Another limitation of the original, if my memory serves me well... If anybody could correct me if I am wrong, as it was decades ago...

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:32 am

Chopper wrote:
As the original, it requires a rather high voltage, slightly above what the doepfer ribbon provides... Do you have anything else you could test it with? Or can you amplify your gate signal somehow?
Ebotronix wrote: the Pro 1 ADSR (gate/clock cvin)doesn't receive a continious gate.
Same as above...
That's normal, in the sense that having something in the OSC IN bypasses it. Another limitation of the original, if my memory serves me well... If anybody could correct me if I am wrong, as it was decades ago...
I also tested it with the DoepferRibbon Controller (first test) the gate voltage is 8,8V.
Last edited by Ebotronix on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 am

Ebotronix wrote:
Chopper wrote:
Same as above...
I also tested it with the DoepferRibbon Controller (first test) the gate voltage is 8,8V.

[video][/video]
Well, it works most of the time, that is a fair thing since you paid a “most of the time” price :hihi:

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:31 pm

no it doesn't work.
The gate should remain open until the button is released.
the Pro 1 envelope closed before the button is released.

Sushi2k
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sushi2k » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:45 pm

@Ebotronix
my one behaves exactly the same. Let's hope it's fixable by a firmware update.

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Well if theyve cloned the 3310, it should be as simple as normaling the trig input to the gate input, which they probably already did for the keyboard? (Edit: Meant midi ofc)
Retriggering during a gate is actually a nice option to have, but suspect they tried to simplify.
Last edited by Starspawn on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gear”