Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by Jaypee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am

For example I want to feed the machine with a sample vocal and I want the less unrecognizable sound out of the machine.
Something still musical of course. But really something crazy.

10 years ago I had a DP4+. Sold it. And I remembered the combination of several chain of FX's did create some interesting results.

My description is a bit vague I know. What I'm sure about is I don't want an only reverb unit. Or only chorus etc unit.
H3000 seems a classic though. Don't know if it's the right machine.

It can be modular too. But I haven't found anything too crazy yet.
I had a clouds for 1 week. Wasn't convinced. But maybe I should re-think it?

Numeric, or analog. Whatever.

I think I should search in the harmonizer type of FX. But I don't know any of them.

What's your craziest fav machine?

Cheers!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 am

get a used Yamaha Ax000 series sampler and just use the effects section.

For eg. I used to map my pitch bend and mod wheel to pitch shift, time stretch and start loop points along with a filter to create vinyl scratching to any external audio being played into the audio inputs

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:44 am

Alesis Bitrman. Insane!

My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 am

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 am

I have an old Soviet-era delay unit called a Venus AP-01. It's great for distorted, runaway echoes and noisy stereo chorus effects. It's a two--channel unit, but both channels sound completely different.

In fact I'm not sure if it's supposed to sound the way it does, but can't tell if it's broken or just incredibly badly made. I can't even tell if it uses BBDs or digital chips; it's full of Soviet components and the schematics are in Cyrillic...

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:36 am

Elektron Monomachine.

Use the neighbor routing and enjoy those 18 LFOs, 6 different delays /6 eqs /6 filters /6 overdrives , and trigless trigs.

For hardware, it is just an insane level of control and automation for the price.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by Funky40 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am

Jaypee wrote:For example I want to feed the machine with a sample vocal and I want the less unrecognizable sound out of the machine.
this can be taken in so many directions ;)

all i´ve discovered was probably somehow delay based.
and it was allways dependend on giving it enough time, finding sweetspots, and have golden moments wiggling some knobs.

i mean, if it would be so easy, why would people sell all those "golden units" that come up in such threads ? ;)
see you and Clouds ;) I for example think Clouds is one of the greatest "one module" solutions for that kind of thing.

personally, since 16 months into software i must say, for what you explained,
and thats what i EXACTLY do alots of time when i´m ITB, is software right now just unbeatable for this kind of things.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am

Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 am

DSI Evolver. Definitely the wildest noise box I’ve used.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am

Fireworx!

Moskowitz
Common Wiggler

Post by Moskowitz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Most cray in my experience are the Jomox Resonators - there is an M and a T - they are hard to keep in line, normal sounds are rare.

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Count to Five, Bitquest, Tensor, Outward, Stammen, Molecular Disruptor, anything PLL, Echo Degrader all spring to mind in the guitar pedal world. All good on vocals, all different kind of time based effect. I’d check out the Count to Five, Tensor, and Outward first based on your descrition of what you want!
doomlove.

My Eurorack

RedLab
Common Wiggler

Post by RedLab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Eventide stuff is excellent in doing out of this world effects as it's very flexible and always seems to retain audio quality and musicality even when pushed to the most extreme settings. But I wouldn't call it weird by nature like effects that are inherently meant to mess up things

PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:48 pm

FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

RedLab wrote:Eventide stuff is excellent in doing out of this world effects as it's very flexible and always seems to retain audio quality and musicality even when pushed to the most extreme settings. But I wouldn't call it weird by nature like effects that are inherently meant to mess up things
The Pitchfactor would probably be the first one to look at, especially given the possible interest in harmonizer effects. I like the Factor boxes - compact and quick, but also relatively deep and nicely featured.

RustyO
serious modular dude

Post by RustyO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Eventide H8000FW of course! And with the power of vSig :omg:
speak_onion wrote:@RustyO: You said compact and then listed more gear than I've ever owned. I salute you. :bananaguitar:
OctaEdit : A Software Editor and Librarian for the Elektron Octatrack

OctaZip : Intelligent Octatrack Archiver

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Cluster flux?

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 pm

For a multiple fx type of unit, I'm a big fan of the Gotharman Little Deformer 2. Various flavors of distortion, compression, filtering, reverb, delay, granular algorithms, modulation, etc. The Abstruct0 effect is a personal favorite for rendering vocal samples into something twisted.
Abstruct0 - This effect constantly records the audio applied to its input (BUS 1), in a time interval
determined by a ”RecT” parameter. It uses 3 ”playback heads” to play back the recorded audio.
Each of these playback heads can be swithed on and off, and the playback length can be adjusted
for each of them. Every time a head has played back the adjusted amount of time, it jumps to a new
random location of the recorded piece, and starts play back again. The playback pitch of head 2 and
3 can be adjusted. Since there are no feedback path in this effect, when common filter connection is
set to ”Feed”, playhead 2 will be individually filtered.
Secondary eff: Reverb or delay 2.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:DSI Evolver. Definitely the wildest noise box I’ve used.
I thought this was a synth not a fx box?

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:55 pm

tehyar wrote:Fireworx!
Been curious about the fireworx for a long time but it's so hard to find synth demos of it. What other multi fx units does it compare to? i'm kind of in the same boat as the OP, used to have a DP4 and sold it not because i didnt like how it sounded but with two ASR 10 i wanted a little more variety in my effects.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Kyma?

Or H9000?

Never used either, except in dreams.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 am

wickfut wrote:get a used Yamaha Ax000 series sampler and just use the effects section.

For eg. I used to map my pitch bend and mod wheel to pitch shift, time stretch and start loop points along with a filter to create vinyl scratching to any external audio being played into the audio inputs
Ok, will watch some videos. I don't know this beast. Thanks wickfut!
lisa wrote:Alesis Bitrman. Insane!

Hmmm, not sure if what I'm looking for when I'm looking at the panel.
It looks like a collection of very classical effects based on bit reduction.
Not what I'm looking for here.
It's basically the opposite: I want to add, not 'reduce'.

Will check some videos though! we never know! :) Thanks lisa!
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:This is the ultimate.

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/cocoquantus/index.html
Sounds very 8bit oriented, isn't it?
Will see more videos later! Didn't know this company. Thanks mate!

Funky40 wrote:
Jaypee wrote:For example I want to feed the machine with a sample vocal and I want the less unrecognizable sound out of the machine.
this can be taken in so many directions ;)

all i´ve discovered was probably somehow delay based.
and it was allways dependend on giving it enough time, finding sweetspots, and have golden moments wiggling some knobs.

i mean, if it would be so easy, why would people sell all those "golden units" that come up in such threads ? ;)
see you and Clouds ;) I for example think Clouds is one of the greatest "one module" solutions for that kind of thing.

personally, since 16 months into software i must say, for what you explained,
and thats what i EXACTLY do alots of time when i´m ITB, is software right now just unbeatable for this kind of things.
Yeah. There was a VST I should re-install on my new computer: PSP Nitro.
Loved that bad boy. This is some kinda of effects I'm looking for.
Some presets are really weird! in a good way! you can record the output and edit/keep the best takes.

Do you have any VST recommendation?
Cheers mate!

OK! second people mentioning this one! Will def' checking this one! Thanks!
Is it a joke or a real VST/eurorack/effects ? :D
Moskowitz wrote:Most cray in my experience are the Jomox Resonators - there is an M and a T - they are hard to keep in line, normal sounds are rare.
based on filters, like I said, I want to "add" (harmonies etc) not to reduce (bit reducer/ filters)

Antlerface wrote:Count to Five, Bitquest, Tensor, Outward, Stammen, Molecular Disruptor, anything PLL, Echo Degrader all spring to mind in the guitar pedal world. All good on vocals, all different kind of time based effect. I’d check out the Count to Five, Tensor, and Outward first based on your descrition of what you want!
Ok, lot of names I don't know! Will check these ones! thanks!!!
Ahah, this is art! <3
Biom wrote:Cluster flux?
yeah this one ... <3 want something hmm, more versatile, but it's a high high quality effect here. Thanks for reminding me!
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Been curious about the fireworx for a long time but it's so hard to find synth demos of it. What other multi fx units does it compare to? i'm kind of in the same boat as the OP, used to have a DP4 and sold it not because i didnt like how it sounded but with two ASR 10 i wanted a little more variety in my effects.
Hehe same here. I had an ASR 10 too. (Rack version actually). Kinda missing it.
dkcg wrote:Kyma?

Or H9000?

Never used either, except in dreams.
...yes... :ripbanana: :deadbanana: :party:

Keep em coming! will google a lot of names thanks to you! thanks!!!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 am

man, the kyma is.............. totally forgot this one!
this is exactly what I'm looking for!
Last edited by Jaypee on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 am

The Bitrman is crazy but I get what you are saying. :tu:
Jaypee wrote:based on filters, like I said, I want to "add" (harmonies etc) not to reduce (bit reducer/ filters)
You should check out the T-resonator though. Cross connected delays, FM, feedback and filters. It's hard to control but whatever you send in can sound very different in the other end and this box adds too.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
I honestly can’t say what it compares to. It was designed to be very unconventional and sound like nothing else. I haven’t heard other effects units attempt the same things, though that doesn’t mean they can’t, and my range of experience is not wide. I had the Fireworx in the naughties and sold it when I started doing more vst effects, like:

For vst I’m a fan of the Ohmforce plugins for extreme mangling. I tend to use them more than anything else for that.

Short demo of some Fireworx presets:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSqGuvQoP0
Last edited by tehyar on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gear”