Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

seta666
Common Wiggler

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by seta666 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:39 am

Did not say it was a bad thing.. :mrgreen:

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 am

touche touche!

debris
Common Wiggler

Post by debris » Thu May 28, 2020 3:14 pm

this is a great thread! would love to see more gear :tu:

gminorcoles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gminorcoles » Fri May 29, 2020 6:56 am

Is the “EHX mod” the commonly available EHX mod 11? I lost track

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Fri May 29, 2020 8:08 am

Eventide H8000FW...

I wish I had H9000, though. Supposedly easier to program.
I doubt it sounds substantially better for meat and potatoes algos, however, it can do more at once and probably loads faster.

abel_terrestrian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abel_terrestrian » Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 am

In my current setup, I have a modular system sending its master out into two Machinedrum input machines, and then MD out to audio interface. IMO, if the Machinedrum were just a stereo FX unit + Elektron sequencer with the CTRL and RAM record/play machines, it would still be worth the price. The drum synthesis features are just a bonus :)

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm

abel_terrestrian wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 am
In my current setup, I have a modular system sending its master out into two Machinedrum input machines, and then MD out to audio interface. IMO, if the Machinedrum were just a stereo FX unit + Elektron sequencer with the CTRL and RAM record/play machines, it would still be worth the price. The drum synthesis features are just a bonus :)
I Just got a machinedrum UW and would love to hear more about that. Are you basically using it as a reverb/delay unit or is there more to it?
So far I‘m just exploring the drum synth part of it.

abel_terrestrian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abel_terrestrian » Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Schrank wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm
abel_terrestrian wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 am
I Just got a machinedrum UW and would love to hear more about that. Are you basically using it as a reverb/delay unit or is there more to it?
So far I‘m just exploring the drum synth part of it.
There's a lot more to it! Here are some things you can do:

Sequence RAM record and RAM play machines to live sample audio from the inputs, mangle, and replay it in real time. This is a blast and can get extremely glitchy and far out. There's a video somewhere of a guy running some kind of alpine folk music through the MD and just using RAM machines on it but I can't find it for the life of me.

Use it as a reverb and delay unit (and compressor and EQ!), yes, but remember you have all those CTRL machines for the various master FX at your disposal, which means you can sequence FX modulations with p-locks / live recording. And of course, 16 LFOs.

You can also use the thing where you hold FUNCTION and tweak to affect all tracks to do DJ-style stuff to the whole mix. If you FUNCTION+filter sweep it will affect your input tracks as well. The Machinedrum actually has an undocumented behavior here that I like to exploit. If you FUNCTION+tweak in extended mode, and then press FUNCTION+CLASSIC/EXTENDED to reload the saved kit, the audio coming in on the input tracks will still be affected by the tweaks until those tracks are triggered again. So sometimes what I'll do is lowpass sweep the whole mix to silence and then bring everything back by reloading the kit, except my input audio will now be effectively muted until whenever I decide to hit those trigs to bring it back.

This is a classic Machinedrum technique/vid as well: https://youtu.be/LtxX0VEpMSI

almost forgot! http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_ ... tricks.htm

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Fri May 29, 2020 2:02 pm

abel_terrestrian wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm
There's a lot more to it! Here are some things you can do:

Sequence RAM record and RAM play machines to live sample audio from the inputs, mangle, and replay it in real time. This is a blast and can get extremely glitchy and far out. There's a video somewhere of a guy running some kind of alpine folk music through the MD and just using RAM machines on it but I can't find it for the life of me.

Use it as a reverb and delay unit (and compressor and EQ!), yes, but remember you have all those CTRL machines for the various master FX at your disposal, which means you can sequence FX modulations with p-locks / live recording. And of course, 16 LFOs.

You can also use the thing where you hold FUNCTION and tweak to affect all tracks to do DJ-style stuff to the whole mix. If you FUNCTION+filter sweep it will affect your input tracks as well. The Machinedrum actually has an undocumented behavior here that I like to exploit. If you FUNCTION+tweak in extended mode, and then press FUNCTION+CLASSIC/EXTENDED to reload the saved kit, the audio coming in on the input tracks will still be affected by the tweaks until those tracks are triggered again. So sometimes what I'll do is lowpass sweep the whole mix to silence and then bring everything back by reloading the kit, except my input audio will now be effectively muted until whenever I decide to hit those trigs to bring it back.

This is a classic Machinedrum technique/vid as well: https://youtu.be/LtxX0VEpMSI

almost forgot! http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_ ... tricks.htm
:woah:

Thanks man! I sure know what to do the coming weeks :hihi:
I think I‘m going to start with ctrl machines tonight, haven‘t used those at all.
Now off to my MD and the manual!

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Fri May 29, 2020 4:36 pm

From everything I tried, it has to be the Cocoquantus. It warps sounds beyond recognition and sounds pretty good, but it's very hard to get predictable results.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Fri May 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever ... Maybe already suggested, but I would say the whole recording studio, especially one containing a modular system, comprehensive interfacing, a patch bay and lots of ideas.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Fri May 29, 2020 6:07 pm

i like using the shitty pitch shift algo in clouds ran in to distortion. makes something totally different but still about as musical as whatever you ran in. bonus points if you freeze the buffer and use the 1v/oct as a new voice

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm

I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread.. There was a video on youtube, I think it was an against the clock or maybe it was just a live set breakdown, and the performer had a multi-fx box that *i think* was boring computer grey, and it had a breakout box controller. Anyways, seemed like internally you built up a modular FX patch. But I don't know anything else about it and wanted to learn more and have nothing else to go on so if that piques your memory please let me know wtf I'm thinking about lol

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 29, 2020 7:09 pm

boring box could have been housing this??
http://www.axoloti.com/

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 pm

th0mas wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm
I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread.. There was a video on youtube, I think it was an against the clock or maybe it was just a live set breakdown, and the performer had a multi-fx box that *i think* was boring computer grey, and it had a breakout box controller. Anyways, seemed like internally you built up a modular FX patch. But I don't know anything else about it and wanted to learn more and have nothing else to go on so if that piques your memory please let me know wtf I'm thinking about lol
Empress Effects ZOIA ?
https://empresseffects.com/products/zoia
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat May 30, 2020 8:19 am

thanks guys, but no it looked more like 1990s or 2000s broadcast technology (but not from eventide)

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 pm

This Scooper I got in a trade recently is pretty crazy. Its a lot more adventurous than I expected.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 am

jdaddyaz wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 pm
This Scooper I got in a trade recently is pretty crazy. Its a lot more adventurous than I expected.
A couple of these Airas together can get really crazy..
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

Return to “General Gear”