Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 am

You never mentioned a price range, so here's a couple things that haven't been mentioned:

Elektron Octatrack - the sample manipulation can take a sound into a 1000 different directions with 999 of them being usable in some context.

Publison DHM-89-B2. Pitch shifter/delay unit. There's so much this seemingly simple box can do.

reiterating other suggestions - any Eventide H3000 or up (better front panel editing that the Eclipse or stomp box formats).

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
tehyar wrote:Fireworx!
Been curious about the fireworx for a long time but it's so hard to find synth demos of it. What other multi fx units does it compare to? i'm kind of in the same boat as the OP, used to have a DP4 and sold it not because i didnt like how it sounded but with two ASR 10 i wanted a little more variety in my effects.
I guess it would go in the same category as the Kurzweil Mangler, or the Alesis Akira - i.e. 1U digital rackmount with unconventional effects in mind.

You can combine the effects flexibly in a routing matrix, but other than a couple of exceptions you're limited to only one instance of each algorithm.

There are some out-there algorithms - pitch-following oscillators and pitch shifters, formant filtering, ring mod, vocoder, and some monstrous digital distortions.

It also does decent conventional reverbs, delays and choruses very nicely, although most of these are mono-in only.

My main gripes with it are - 1.) none of the delay algorithms permit real-time control over the delay time (space-echo style), and 2.) MIDI sysex support is miserable - there's no parameter message support so computer editing is impossible.

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 am

The Boss half-rack units - especially the RSD-10 sampler/delay and RPS-10 pitch shifter/delay - are legendary for fucking shit up.

Also, the Zoom 1201, Boss SE-70 and Boss VF-1 seem to get props as cheap, whacked-out digital boxes.

stopthesignal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stopthesignal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:55 pm

In the all-analog realm, the Vermona Retroberb Lancet is quite the mangler. Don't be fooled by its elegant exterior - it can really disfigure what you run into it. Chain it with a BBD delay, especially something extreme like the Malekko 616 Lofi, and you are really in business.

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm

This might be too tame for the application.

[video][/video]
Beyond the sandbox

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 pm

the roland sp-404sx makes thing sound as fucked up as i hear them in my mind

the make noise echophon also really sings to my ears. i made a stupid creedence remix with it the day i got it and ive loved it since i plugged it in. vactrols vactrols vactrols vactrols

the most important thing about good distortion ime is being careful with your gain staging and bein ready to try out what sounds best where

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:05 am

AdamJay wrote:Elektron Monomachine.

Use the neighbor routing and enjoy those 18 LFOs, 6 different delays /6 eqs /6 filters /6 overdrives , and trigless trigs.

For hardware, it is just an insane level of control and automation for the price.
Man, I always forget about this. I should def. do this more often with my MM.

Also, the Kaoss Pads are pretty groovy. I have the KP3+, and while not every effect is good (some are utter shite), a lot of them are loads of fun for mangling. You can even control the program number via MIDI and cycle quickly through various presets for ultra-glitch.
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/Digitakt/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:44 am

Ranxerox wrote:the Zoom 1201
Be sure to check out the circuitbent version by Circuitbenders.co.uk for even more madness!

Cheers,
Bert

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm

If I were you, I would watch a bunch of Hainbach videos - he's the master of sound degradation - a modern mix of Alvin Lucier and William Bascinski.

Uses a great deal of tape manipulation to achieve lo fi sounds - amazing stuff. And demos a good deal of the equipment mentioned in this thread, especially, an assortment of Ciat-Lonbarde, the Op1 and various tape machines.

In my humble opinion, if it can be a modular, the Morphogene seems to fit the bill perfectly, especially in the way you can mangle the sound and still use it, eh?, musically.

On a lesser mentioned note, there's this machine here:

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/thyme/

Though seems a bit out there to tame it, yet still fascinating.

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Gotharman FX Deformer

Sampler, lots of FX - Distortion, Delay, Reverbs, Bitcrushing, Timestretch, Pitchshifting, heavy modulation, sequencer!

granular sampling weirdness
Last edited by soundinett on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm

if you are up for giving software a look in Permut8 is a bit of a secret weapon for me that I use for this a lot.

https://soniccharge.com/permut8

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:36 am

The Lexicon Vortex can do some pretty horrible things to sounds, and the morphing speed is CV controllable.

PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 pm

unclebastard wrote:The Lexicon Vortex can do some pretty horrible things to sounds, and the morphing speed is CV controllable.
The Vortex is great. It doesn't have MIDI, so it works well with a modular or CV/gate system. The four footswitch inputs respond to gates (make sure the output impedance is low enough), so it can cycle through patches, sync to an external clock, etc. And the footpedal input can accept 0 - 5V CV.
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Vst wise I think Tom erbe is doing great stuff.

A hardware option you might consider is the axoloti. I've set it up as a pretty nssry effects box - you can make your own metallic reverbs with allpass filters, do sampling, delays, wailing filters etc. Etc.

Also, bit reduction does add harmonics to the sound, not reduce them. It is a form odistoerion or wavwshaping as it 'quantises' your sample data points to fewer and fewer distinct points, effectively giving you s more and more stepped wave with more harmonic content.

sp1200
Common Wiggler

Post by sp1200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Quite like the H9.

audioCTRL
Wiggling with Experience

Post by audioCTRL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 am

Jaypee wrote:
tehyar wrote:Fireworx!
Is it a joke or a real VST/eurorack/effects ? :D
It's real and very nice! A used one pops up every now & then..

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 pm

not an fx box per say, but can put out really freakish stuff :spin:

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 pm

The Esko 100
Without resorting to a tank metaphor - it's just dirty (and is actually built like a tank)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:13 am

Line 6 M13. Nothing else like it. I have two of them.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:47 pm

unrecordings wrote:The Esko 100
Without resorting to a tank metaphor - it's just dirty (and is actually built like a tank)
Actually, it's built more like a plow :hihi:

https://www.nettikone.com/en/esko/100/1711218

I'm guessing that's a digital version and they just left a space where the tape transport was? :hmm:
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

BenJBX
Common Wiggler

Post by BenJBX » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Moskowitz wrote:Most cray in my experience are the Jomox Resonators - there is an M and a T - they are hard to keep in line, normal sounds are rare.
I sold my M-resonator, i couldn't do anything useful with it except destroy speakers.

Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Team up an Evolver and a T-Resonator and you will have the craziest combo of all time! (But make sure you have a limiter in the chain!!!)

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:19 pm

PrimateSynthesis wrote:
unrecordings wrote:The Esko 100
Actually, it's built more like a plow :hihi:

https://www.nettikone.com/en/esko/100/1711218

I'm guessing that's a digital version and they just left a space where the tape transport was? :hmm:
Interesting variation on the whole 'swords into plowshares' thing then
I have it on good authority that it was built by Military Plant No. 624356 in Kachkanar for Formanta in 1985. I've seen the tape version, it's very similar - why waste a good casting mold...

As for the sound - it's not subtle (unless it's switched off - and unplugged)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Jaypee wrote:.... What's your craziest fav machine? Cheers!
This may seem quaint, as well as an attempt to either be "cute", "clever", or "Mr. Obvious" .... but the craziest FX machine I've ever used (and I'd dare to say any of us) is .....

The modular synthesizer.

:tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:51 am

Has anyone used both a waldorf 2 pole filter and a M- or T- resonator?

I'm tempted to get a m-resonator for sale if i find one, but the 2 pole seems like it's capable of some real insanity as well.

Return to “General Gear”