Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:43 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Has anyone used both a waldorf 2 pole filter and a M- or T- resonator?

I'm tempted to get a m-resonator for sale if i find one, but the 2 pole seems like it's capable of some real insanity as well.
I have a Waldorf 2 Pole. It (somehow) makes things do stuff that you wouldn't imagine it would make them do. I have no idea what a M- or T- resonator is, but the 2 Pole sure makes about everything I run through it really do some outrageous sounds! Good Stuff Maynard!

I use the 2 Pole in "envelope follower mode" quite a bit. That's where I think it really shines. Set the threshold just right and it can make certain sounds become very rhythmic. It takes a while to become familiar with it's quirks and learn to set it so it's useful. Also, placing the right type of distortion FX after the 2 Pole can produce a convincing hard sync sweep sound.

It's really super functional, depending on what you pair it up with. It works great when put in series with sounds that already have modulated filter stuff going on of their own.

If you just try to use it like you would any run of the mill VCF, you may not be so impressed. Add it to sounds that already have some modulations going on that affect the dynamics of the sound, and it shines. The idea is to really put that envelope follower function to work! Along with careful adjustments of both the 2 Pole and the "master" device.

:despair:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 am

EHX fanboy here. So my vote goes for EHX Ring Thing and Superego. Ring thing can do ringmod, tremolo, chorus and vibrato and since the RM carrier VCO is also the modulation source for the pitch shifter, you can modulate it at audio rates which turns your guitar into a crude FM-synth
And you have a CV in for the carrier and a second audio in that replaces the carrier.
And Superego: Well, it turns everything into drones. I could also mention this in the favourite drone synth thread.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:46 am

keep them coming!

wow!
[video][/video]
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:09 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:EHX fanboy here. So my vote goes for EHX Ring Thing ..... Ring thing can do ringmod, tremolo, chorus and vibrato and since the RM carrier VCO is also the modulation source for the pitch shifter, you can modulate it at audio rates which turns your guitar into a crude FM-synth. ..... And you have a CV in for the carrier and a second audio in that replaces the carrier.....
AH! Yes! You're so right. I totally forgot about the Ring Thing. I have a list of things I will buy should I ever find a shoebox full of $20 bills. The Ring Thing is on that list. I've seen a number of videos featuring the Ring Thing, and I have to agree that it seems to be very well suited for use with synths of all types. Among all of it's features is the ability to save a few presets, which given it's overall capability and it's cache of heavy duty building blocks as well as it's ability to produced synchronized FX, the preset capability is very much a welcome addition. It has tap tempo if I recall.

Definitely worth a look-see! Made by Electro Harmonix, so you already know it's weird and fun (which is pretty much a default characteristic of most things produced by that company).

Another Electro Harmonix trinket that really fits in well with synth stuffs is the Poly Chorus. The big giant one. I have one, the design is as old as my ability to grow facial hair (early 1980s). When put in "Filter Matrix" mode it can really enhance drone patches. ~Enhance~ isn't nearly strong enough to describe what it can add to synths. Used with manual (or joystick, or ..?????) modulation of a filter's cutoff frequency, if tuned properly while in Filter Matrix mode adding a Poly Chorus can produce a great deal of sonic power to any drone patch.

Again, I speak of the large format of the Poly Chorus. I don't know from any personal experience, but I've read over and again that the newer downsized Poly Chorus "isn't the same, and not as good" as the early large one.

I also have one of the early giant EH Electric Mistress flangers. I believe mine was produced in the mid to late 1970s. I'm the original owner, I bought it for use as a "fake leslie" with my first Hammond, which was a 1965-ish M100 that I had modified for line out and louder percussion. The Hammond was affectionately nicknamed "Fire Hazard". The large sized Electric Mistress does the Matrix Filter trick just as well as the big Poly Chorus. The old/large Poly Chorus also has a flanger mode that replicates the Electric Mistress pretty well, but not quite precisely the same. I find both units to be useful in their own ways.

Again, most reviews of the newer/small Electric Mistress tend to knock it when compared to the old big one. I can't vouch for that, I've not tried the smaller one.

I have seen both of the larger Electro Harmonix devices on eBay, the Electric Mistress flanger tends to go for ~around~ $100 bucks. That is unless the seller tries to push it off as some Holy Grail and asks far too much for it.

Don't let the word "flanger" set you back. It actually does a super great chorus sound as well (think Andy Summers of The Police). Alex Lifeson (Rush) used it one on several of the first half dozen Rush albums, back when he was playing that white Gibson ES330 hollow body electric that he made so famous with the KILLER tone he extracted from it. Often times that flanger was put into Filter Matrix mode (which essentially just freezes the sweep in one place that can be tuned using the "Range" control knob). Pat Travers, Robin Trower, and Tommy Bolin also made great use of that same flanger.

Fin ~
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:14 pm

One other trick the Ring Thing does is it can add a second "VCO" to single VCO synths. The pitch shifter within it tracks very well, so tune it to a perfect 5th above the root note and it actually sounds as though a second VCO has been added.

There's a Sweetwater video that demonstrates that feature. If I recall, the video is actually a Minibrute demo, and near the end of the video the Ring Thing is used and Daniel (Fisher) demonstrates that capability of the Ring Thing.

EDIT: Found the video! Fast forward to 13:54, Daniel demos the pitch shifter in the Ring Thing .......

[video][/video]

:tu:

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:21 am

The second footswitch of the Ring Thing isn't a tap tempo button. Short presses makes the unit cycle through the presets (they load instantly -so you can stomp on the footswitch in sync to what you're playing and the RT will cycle through it's presets in sync). If you depress the button longer while in one of the ring mod modes it will tune the modulation VCO to the frequency of the carrier at the unit's input. -Very useful. -You can easily tune the mod VCO to the root note of your tune. Then the RM effect is almost inaudible at the root note while going totally bonkers on certain intervals.

And yes the pitch shifter tracks very well. It even tracks chords and complex audio sources even though the manual says it's monophonic. The only drawback is that the transients aren't punchy. I guess they applied a little fade-in time for each new note to give the pitch tracker a little time to catch up.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:The second footswitch of the Ring Thing isn't a tap tempo button. Short presses makes the unit cycle through the presets (they load instantly -so you can stomp on the footswitch in sync to what you're playing and the RT will cycle through it's presets in sync). If you depress the button longer while in one of the ring mod modes it will tune the modulation VCO to the frequency of the carrier at the unit's input. -Very useful. -You can easily tune the mod VCO to the root note of your tune. Then the RM effect is almost inaudible at the root note while going totally bonkers on certain intervals.

And yes the pitch shifter tracks very well. It even tracks chords and complex audio sources even though the manual says it's monophonic. The only drawback is that the transients aren't punchy. I guess they applied a little fade-in time for each new note to give the pitch tracker a little time to catch up.
Great infos! Thanks.

(unsubbing, gotta thin out the threads I monitor .... soooo many threads.)

JustGlyphs
Common Wiggler

Post by JustGlyphs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 am

What about some more off-the-wall "guitar" pedals like Hologram or Montreal Assembly stuff - anyone tried that? I'd love to run a whole track through Count to 5 and play around for a while.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Has anyone used both a waldorf 2 pole filter and a M- or T- resonator?

I'm tempted to get a m-resonator for sale if i find one, but the 2 pole seems like it's capable of some real insanity as well.
Yep, I've used and recommended both 2 pole and tres, they're rad. The 2 pole is simpler and more playable performable, with well spaced knobs and easy to find sweet spots. The tres is a complex beast that requires focus and commitment, but is deeper and wilder. It can easily get out of hand, with many a recommendation to place a limiter after it so you don't blow a speaker. There's a great thread on it here at MW.
If its just studio work and you want wild, go tres but commit to learning it. If live, 2 pole.
If you bought both with intention to return one, be prepared to keep both.

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:06 am

I totally recommend Knobs Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCarxZ8 ... OgN5LjYOhQ) for finding this kind of stuff. For those who don't know it already, it features some of the craziest boutique (and non-boutique) FX out there, presented in videos that are pieces of art by themselves. I totally love his guitar style and sound, but there are also synths and machines.

Example:

[video][/video]

mycoST
Learning to Wiggle

Estradin PX-1100

Post by mycoST » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:45 pm

The Estradin PX-1100 is a delay/reverb/chorus rack with a weird ''mini looper'' for a lack of a better term. Not as crazy as some of the above suggestions, but the weirdest I own at least.

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

Oh! I almost forgot! For a while I had a Clavia Micromodular loaded with a lot of super-crazy sound processing patches, ranging from bitcrushers, reverbs, delays, choruses... All with 3 assignable knobs each, and of course fully MIDI controllable, so pair it with a cheap knob MIDI controller and you got yourself an infinite weirdness generation machine.

Now that I'm stuck in Windows (where I think the patch editor still works...), I might get one myself again...

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Eme wrote:Oh! I almost forgot! For a while I had a Clavia Micromodular loaded with a lot of super-crazy sound processing patches, ranging from bitcrushers, reverbs, delays, choruses... All with 3 assignable knobs each, and of course fully MIDI controllable, so pair it with a cheap knob MIDI controller and you got yourself an infinite weirdness generation machine.

Now that I'm stuck in Windows (where I think the patch editor still works...), I might get one myself again...
The micromodular is a great 'Swiss army knife' for making weird effects processor patches, but it does not have the ability to do delay effects. It just doesn't have the memory to do them. At most you can do a few milliseconds.

But - the Nord Modular G2 ENGINE includes several seconds of delay and it can do everything the Micromodular can do plus a lot more. I'm using one as a dedicated 4-in-4-out effects processor in my outboard rack and I highly recommend it. It runs circles around every other effects device in the rack.

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Eme wrote:Oh! I almost forgot! For a while I had a Clavia Micromodular loaded with a lot of super-crazy sound processing patches, ranging from bitcrushers, reverbs, delays, choruses... All with 3 assignable knobs each, and of course fully MIDI controllable, so pair it with a cheap knob MIDI controller and you got yourself an infinite weirdness generation machine.

The micromodular is a great 'Swiss army knife' for making weird effects processor patches, but it does not have the ability to do delay effects. It just doesn't have the memory to do them. At most you can do a few milliseconds.

But - the Nord Modular G2 ENGINE includes several seconds of delay and it can do everything the Micromodular can do plus a lot more. I'm using one as a dedicated 4-in-4-out effects processor in my outboard rack and I highly recommend it. It runs circles around every other effects device in the rack.
Are you sure? :hmm: It was several years ago and I had both the Micromodular and the Nord Modular G1 rack, but for what I can recall I used to have it as a standalone effects unit with pretty heavy patches. It was 1/4 of the DSP power of the full sized version, wasn't it?

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:18 pm

You are probably right, I just checked pictures of my setup at that time (thanks, FB) and I had a Boss RE-20 sitting next to my MM, so probably was using that for most delay duties. :oops:

Having said this, and given that the MM's are not so easy to find these days... Maybe the Axoloti would be a good alternative for FX processing? :despair:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Yup, I have an expanded original Nord Modular Rack (same guts as the micromodular, times 8. I use it as a massive 8-voice polysynth) and an expanded G2 Modular (also used mostly as a polysynth but also as the controller for my analog modular) and I have a non-expanded G2 ENGINE in the rack (dedicated for use as an effects processor).

One of the major 'wish list' issues with the original NM/Micromodular was the lack of memory needed for any kind of delay effect longer than a chorus/flange. The G2 & ENGINE addressed that by adding a lot of memory and several modules designed for various long delay effects.

But the Micromodular is still one hell of a great effects box! Before I got the ENGINE I used the original NM for a whole lot of different external audio processor patches and it still gets used for that purpose sometimes, even though I have the other models.

crawling wind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crawling wind » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:55 am

My vote goes to Symetrix 606 Fx/Delay Machine. Hard to find though...

[video][/video]

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 am

Dave Peck wrote:Yup, I have an expanded original Nord Modular Rack (same guts as the micromodular, times 8. I use it as a massive 8-voice polysynth) and an expanded G2 Modular (also used mostly as a polysynth but also as the controller for my analog modular) and I have a non-expanded G2 ENGINE in the rack (dedicated for use as an effects processor).

One of the major 'wish list' issues with the original NM/Micromodular was the lack of memory needed for any kind of delay effect longer than a chorus/flange. The G2 & ENGINE addressed that by adding a lot of memory and several modules designed for various long delay effects.

But the Micromodular is still one hell of a great effects box! Before I got the ENGINE I used the original NM for a whole lot of different external audio processor patches and it still gets used for that purpose sometimes, even though I have the other models.
Wow, what a collection! The Modular's are great devices, it's a shame that Clavia doesn't seem it as a market anymore.

The Micro, even used "only" as a poor man's OTO Biscuit is absolutely worth it. Small, portable and stereo...

PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

crawling wind wrote:My vote goes to Symetrix 606 Fx/Delay Machine. Hard to find though...
I regret not buying one when they were new. Even though I had other "knobby" delays, it would have suited what I was doing at the time. Anyway, I'm surprised how well they've held their value. It looks like they are selling for around $500.
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 am

I have a bunch of the mentioned units: Vortex, 1201, Bitrman, etc,

I like to go in the new-ish Roland VT-3 and/then split into an Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star Chaos and either the Vortex, Red Panda Particle or Boss Re-20.

It can get out of hand but builds lush soundscapes.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am

Let's see... I have a T-Res, H9Max, Z-Vex Fuzz Probe, Evolver, MPX-1, and a Cocoquantus, among other tools, and so far nothing I've ever seen or heard can get close to the Cocoquantus when it comes to making bizarre but often surprisingly beautiful tones that easily defy any attempt at analysis or recreation after what only seems like a few moments of manipulation. It is a Transdimensional Portal Key, and as soon as you start messing with it, time and space get smeared like a bug on a windshield, along with one's sanity.

However, they're difficult to play well, and I'd whole-heartedly advise against getting one before you do a LOT of research first to see if you're wired in that rare fucked up way which allows one to thoroughly enjoy herding a bunch of adolescent creatures that appear to be a cross between a Lynx and a Denebian Slime Devil.

For something a bit easier to control, a combination of the T-Res and H9Max fed into a Bastl DUDE, with one of its channels feeding back into itself is a rather potent tool of destruction, especially if you get the feedback channel into that minuscule realm of magic that inhabits the event horizon.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu May 03, 2018 2:58 am

I could spend the whole day googling and youtubing all these machines... you guys are awesome! :hail:

Keep them coming! :miley:

mmarsh
Common Wiggler

Post by mmarsh » Thu May 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Red Panda Particle. Awesome :)

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by Jaypee » Sun May 10, 2020 3:35 am

2 years later I finaly took the road of guitar pedals! And started with CT5!

Selected bunch of pedals here.
Capture d’écran 2020-05-10 à 10.33.34.png
You've been very helpful! :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by Gribs » Sun May 10, 2020 5:48 pm

The weirdest effect processor thing I own in stand-alone hardware is probably a Bastl Thyme.

I always thought it would be amazing if Sonic Charge were to manage to make a hardware version of their Permut8 plugin.
----------------------------------------

Return to “General Gear”