Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Recommend your weirdest craziest FX machine ever

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Gribs wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:48 pm
Permut8
in 20 years of fucking with sound - this plugin just really wowed me :D when i first tried it a few years ago. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 10, 2020 6:05 pm

MT2-large.jpg
:hihi:
:sstorm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm

anselmi - not sure if thats a joke as a user with 4000 posts and most likely a monster setup :P ??

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm

actually - i havent tried the MT-2 on synths - i have heard its damn good :P

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

I posted it as a joke, maily because it´s one of the most hated pedals ever in the guitar community and usually people make fun of it...I think it´s the equivalent of Comic Sans fonts in graphic design

BUT, I owned one in the late 90s and used it with synths...and I remember I liked it for extreme sounds with LOTS of upper components...but well, you can´t use 90s audio as a refference for today´s standards. I think today this bright tones would sound awful to me.

well, you know, one man's garbage is another man's treasure, so maybe you could find a cheap one to try

Now seriously, I think the most weirdest craziest FX machine ever I own are the Zvex Fuzz Factory, the Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz en eurorack format and a modded EHX Cathedral that can be modulated by CV for delay time and freeze button...this is like a glitch machine but with a deluxe audio, I mean, not sounds like artifacts but something totally intentional
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm

^ that EHX mod has piqued my interest !

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm
I posted demos of it several times here, but don´t remember where, so here we are again:

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 pm

bloody hell mate - that is fucking fantastic!! Im glad you told us what your actual favourite was :P gonna have to look this up now!!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Publison DHM-89
TOO FAR GONE

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon May 11, 2020 12:23 am

KDFX but a pain to program.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 pm
bloody hell mate - that is fucking fantastic!! Im glad you told us what your actual favourite was :P gonna have to look this up now!!
thanks, glad you like it
the guy that modded it is Hernan Baldi, from Argentina
this is his site http://sintetizadores.com.ar/

but I just read that he didn´t accept digital gear and guitar pedals anymore...so I think you should ask somewhere else for a mod
the pedal is pretty easy to find second hand and it´s not expensive
also, when no moded it´s a pretty capable reverb and delay pedal...as a delay it´s great since you can abuse feedback and doesn´t have to worry about it goes bonkers...it seems to have an internal limiter or similar...also HP/LP filter in the feedback loop, reverb added too and tap tempo/freeze buttons...worth the price even unmoded
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 am

Thanks for sharing! Curious how "straight" the incoming audio is with such a result.

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abandonist » Mon May 11, 2020 9:37 am

Surely the DOD Meatbox bears mention.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 am

anselmi wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm
wuff_miggler wrote:
I posted demos of it several times here, but don´t remember where, so here we are again:

Ahah man! you have no idea how much these soundcloud samples drove me into modular some years ago!

I sampled these...4 years ago I think...didn't use it for commercial release of course, but it was an eureka moment for me! So happy to re-discover these!

Thanks a lot! <3
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Mon May 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Octatrack gets weird w/ scenes. Love it a lot.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 am
anselmi wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm
wuff_miggler wrote:

Ahah man! you have no idea how much these soundcloud samples drove me into modular some years ago!

I sampled these...4 years ago I think...didn't use it for commercial release of course, but it was an eureka moment for me! So happy to re-discover these!

Thanks a lot! <3
Happy you found a use for them. If you release something just pm me, I´m cool with that
I "sampled" them too because there are some really good happy accidents there. I always record this jams and take the parts I like the most later, but honestly it´s hard to keep tracking of hours and hours of recordings. And also tempo and pitch are sometimes all over the place. The modular way is a real challenge to my usual workflow. I like the results I get, but use them in more "conventional" music is not easy.
I have the Mimeophon now that is a modulation beast, but I get very different results on each, so I keep both.
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm

anselmi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 pm
honestly it´s hard to keep tracking of hours and hours of recordings. And also tempo and pitch are sometimes all over the place. The modular way is a real challenge to my usual workflow. I like the results I get, but use them in more "conventional" music is not easy.
Perfectly summed up my experience as well.

I don't record hours an hours...because I don't have hours and hours to re-listen to it...end even more hours to edit it.
I just press record when something really stands out!

Anyway, what a great thread! Funny I took a guitar-pedals approach on most FX and not eurorack modules!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm
anselmi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 pm
honestly it´s hard to keep tracking of hours and hours of recordings. And also tempo and pitch are sometimes all over the place. The modular way is a real challenge to my usual workflow. I like the results I get, but use them in more "conventional" music is not easy.
Perfectly summed up my experience as well.

I don't record hours an hours...because I don't have hours and hours to re-listen to it...end even more hours to edit it.
I just press record when something really stands out!

this is an idea that I had in mind but I have to figure out how to implement it in a more straightforward way...I tought that maybe a pedal routed to record could be a way...or maybe drop in/out markers
Jaypee wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm
Anyway, what a great thread! Funny I took a guitar-pedals approach on most FX and not eurorack modules!
Me too...the Mimeophon is just the second FX module that I own, after I sold the Roland Demora that didn't like as much as I though I would. I decided to get it because of the several modulation inputs that makes it something that is really part of the whole synthesis engine. The response is great, but sound quality dissapointed me a little. High noise floor than I expected for a $400 delay module.
Anyway, the Zvez Filter Factory and the RME electron fuzz modules looks good

I´m still to try some Metasonix stuff...I´m always a bit scared of the results, that I´m 100% sure that is what Eric Barbour wants you feel about his products :hihi:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 am

most awesome / complicated EMU Ultra sampler with RFX card : professional live EFX with 10 inputs / 18 outs (if ADAT or analog card installed) and best of all : every parameter can be controlled through MIDI cc !!
this is very recent : tasty chips ECR-1 convolution reverb : load up Impulse Response from your favorite EFX (Hardware) & get jammin'

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 am

yes, I have a Mungo C0. Very very nice...ECR-1 is tempting thanks to its stereo! Thanks for demo!

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am
For example I want to feed the machine with a sample vocal and I want the less unrecognizable sound out of the machine.
Something still musical of course. But really something crazy.
I fed my Adrenalinn 3 with a Digitakt today: 'still musical but really crazy'.

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

three different routes:

1 feeding the source thru EURORACK, lots of various analog and digital processing and complex cv control. delays, spring reverb, audio rate modulation, noise, ring mods etc. especially love feedback loops which are easy to route and control. its made for whacky and leftfield stuff from the get go. and line btwn sound source and processing is blurred.

2 REAMP my daw track or synth and then feed this to barrage of analog pedals (overdrives, muffs, fuzzes, germanium, silicon etc, filtering, bbd modulation & delays etc) and finally feed old silverface twin. taking use of the room experimenting with pair of different mics and positioning.. .

3 MULTIFX boxes like Orville and PCM81 , but i also love placing a BBD delay in front - all wet, single repeat mode - so i feed the Eventides with "lofi" version of the signal. done this with Space Echo and Mutator too. now there's world of sounds to be made once you start processing the aux send.. sometimes more interesting than frying the dry portion.

never tried 1 ,2 and 3 together. would hate to break the time space continuum..

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

CDavis
Brain Fruit

Post by CDavis » Fri May 15, 2020 12:46 am

clusterchord wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

3 MULTIFX boxes like Orville and PCM81 , but i also love placing a BBD delay in front - all wet, single repeat mode - so i feed the Eventides with "lofi" version of the signal. done this with Space Echo and Mutator too. now there's world of sounds to be made once you start processing the aux send.. sometimes more interesting than frying the dry portion.
Funny you should mention this. I found a pcm81 on Craigslist last week (for $250!) and yesterday I was putting it after a moogerfooger delay for some dubby madness. Highly recommended these multi fx boxes, there’s a whole universe of sound that lives inside. This is just feeding my lust for an eventide box...

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm
actually - i havent tried the MT-2 on synths - i have heard its damn good :P
A user of MT2 from the early 90's, was the standard for the grindcore/metal comunity; together with the boss PQ4 was as close as you could get on a budget to sounding like more expensive metal guitar rigs.

Most Boss pedals are noisy but I still keep and use some like the GE-7, MT-2 and SD-2( lost the PQ4, damm...!, I use them as sends from Ableton, I can throw them anything I want and I do like their sound, takes me back in time. My GE-7 ( which I use as a noisy filter bank)is 30 something years old, fixed it last week.

My weirdest fx is the delay unit in Lyra8, difficult to control..

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 am

control is over rated :-) top 40 can have it if they want it...

Return to “General Gear”