Ikea and Teenage Engineering

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ikea and Teenage Engineering

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 am

We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Dave Mech
Common Wiggler

Post by Dave Mech » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:42 am

Hah, nice.

That could mean trouble for pioneer in about 10 years. If they do it well, a lot of young aspiring DJ's will go for the probably cheaper ikea&TE stuff rather than pioneer.

It's about time the DJ market became a bit more diverse than Pioneer alone at almost every venue.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 am

“We know that for younger people spontaneity is key. The idea of gathering some friends could become a reality in minutes. What is then needed at home? Or maybe you want to bring along the party somewhere else?

Together with Teenage Engineering we want to explore the possibilities of bringing the party with you and what else you need for a great party”
LOL :despair:

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 am

What an odd combination. I wonder what they are planning

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 am

I can just see me and my friends at the next party hunched over some boxes the size of cigarette packs twiddiling little ratcheted knobs and smiling at the camera as we take selfies, like in some fucking commercial about what cool young people do.... NOT.
Last edited by Panason on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Maybe he will get lucky with those two and get his knob twiddled
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm

kiosk.

few pages in the catalog/webpage. Maybe a big article in some sort of lifestyle section of Ikea's marketing. Maybe next to the swedish meatballs they sell.
:razz:

Sounds more like a cross tie promotion than a rebranding of Ikea or TE.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Dave Mech wrote:Hah, nice.

That could mean trouble for pioneer in about 10 years. If they do it well, a lot of young aspiring DJ's will go for the probably cheaper ikea&TE stuff rather than pioneer.

It's about time the DJ market became a bit more diverse than Pioneer alone at almost every venue.
Huh??

Neither TE nor Ikea make any DJ equipment, the OP-1 isn't exactly cheap, and I would think is a horrible DJ mixer (but cool instrument). I doubt either are thinking about how they will with their new partner rule the DJ world in 10 years.

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koekepan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:34 pm

More likely that Teenage Engineering took a long, hard look at the GoDJ and the GoDJ Plus, and hated the thought of missing out on that market.

IKEA? Well, they're both swedish, and trade on design as a marketing element, so why not? Cheap stuff that fits in a college dorm room.

Dave Mech
Common Wiggler

Post by Dave Mech » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

dkcg wrote:
Dave Mech wrote:Hah, nice.

Huh??

Neither TE nor Ikea make any DJ equipment, the OP-1 isn't exactly cheap, and I would think is a horrible DJ mixer (but cool instrument). I doubt either are thinking about how they will with their new partner rule the DJ world in 10 years.
Op-1 as a mixer haha.
10 years is a long time. We'll see. Ikea is about affordable, so that's pretty obvious... And scale is everything. I'm not going to underestimate this partnership only because it seems a bit strange. :). I'm not saying that it will happen, but who knows. Like I said, 10 years is a long time.

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:31 pm

In the video interview from that link, Jesper states that one of the 3 things needed to make a great party is "something strong to smoke".

I can feel it coming already: Ikea bongs!

:deadbanana:
http://sneak-thief.com - raw electro-funk!

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 pm

sneak-thief wrote:In the video interview from that link, Jesper states that one of the 3 things needed to make a great party is "something strong to smoke".

I can feel it coming already: Ikea bongs!

:deadbanana:
World's first bluetooth vaporizer controlled from a Tumbla sequencer in the OP-1. :D

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 pm

IKEA employs hundreds of thousands of employees and makes tens of billions of dollars in revenue each year. Wikipedia lists Roland at 3,000 employees (under the whole umbrella including BOSS).

If Ikea wanted to put even 50 people on this project, with their packaging and manufacturing/fabrication network, they could probably bring something pretty basic to market in 60 days.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 pm

gentle_attack wrote:IKEA employs hundreds of thousands of employees and makes tens of billions of dollars in revenue each year. Wikipedia lists Roland at 3,000 employees (under the whole umbrella including BOSS).
well, but these are mostly in retail and distribution (I do not recall any Roland stores anywhere). The designer/engineers probably similar in number to Roland, maybe even less. So what?

I think things are far simpler. If you google "ikea and music" a few partnerships come up. And it makes sense for them to integrate music devices with furniture and to target younger customers. And why not. They always had some gadgets of this kind.

WIth respect to Teenage engineering one finds something about a record player:

IKEA have now revealed that the FREKVENS (="Frequency") collection will go on sale in stores worldwide in February 2019. The record player will feature alongside such products as an ‘electronic choir’, ‘party lighting’ and, as the press release states, “everything else you need in order to throw a really good music party wherever you are”.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/ikea-are- ... ng-2257886

Very unlikely that anything more comes out of this, in particular not something that should worry pioneer. The sale numbers are simply not sufficient to pay all those people in retail if you do dj stuff.

“We know that for younger people spontaneity is key" .... well, let's see what happens when you have to assemble that stuff at home, there goes the spontaneity. I think it's funny:

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Although, if this means they start designing desks for musicians, can you imagine how nice they could be? Even their standard student desks and even shoe shelves and other storage nick nacks, if purposefully designed for musicians, could be cool.

I'm not expecting anything that cool. bluetooth party desks/tables/speakers or a variant of. Probably some nice things, but I kinda doubt any of it will make any noise. I would think TE wouldn't want to share those profits with Ikea, but their ties with museums, such as MOMA, give a lot of design legitimacy to both parties. That's how I think this benefits Ikea. Design/art legitimacy and relevance to the "fine art" world.

Yodhan
Common Wiggler

Post by Yodhan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Why not? Looks like it could be fun at worst, and at best, make some stuff that is super functional for people like us.
My rig: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376480
Behringer Neutron, Behringer Model D, Arturia Microbrute
Tascam 424mkii
Reason for effects and recording

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm

dkcg wrote:Although, if this means they start designing desks for musicians, can you imagine how nice they could be? Even their standard student desks and even shoe shelves and other storage nick nacks, if purposefully designed for musicians, could be cool.
All the verbiage on this announcement seems to suggest it's some integrated piece of technology and furniture. Something along the lines of those "gaming" chairs with the built-in speakers and such. I hope I am wrong and your prediction is right though. But they don't really need Teenage Engineering to do that, do they?

paranoidmoonduck
Common Wiggler

Post by paranoidmoonduck » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 pm

None of this is likely to be super serious or hi-fidelity gear, but if one company has a track record of making good products without those qualities, it's TE. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Ra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ra » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm

gentle_attack wrote:IKEA employs hundreds of thousands of employees and makes tens of billions of dollars in revenue each year. Wikipedia lists Roland at 3,000 employees (under the whole umbrella including BOSS).

If Ikea wanted to put even 50 people on this project, with their packaging and manufacturing/fabrication network, they could probably bring something pretty basic to market in 60 days.
Or less...

I'm thinking it will have something to do with the Teenage Engineering design than perhaps anything musical. Hope I'm wrong then again maybe we will get some cool looking furniture to put IKEA bongs on. :rastanana:

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:42 pm

It's a Rast scaled down to fit an OP-1. :razz:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Get the party going!

Last edited by Panason on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:05 pm

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm

euromorcego wrote:
well, but these are mostly in retail and distribution (I do not recall any Roland stores anywhere). The designer/engineers probably similar in number to Roland, maybe even less. So what?
You think IKEA and Roland have the same amount of engineers? :yay: :lol:
Take it easy on the pills @Panason is handing out!

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 am

gentle_attack wrote: You think IKEA and Roland have the same amount of engineers? :yay: :lol:
Take it easy on the pills @Panason is handing out!
and yet another stupid post. Why don't the likes of you not simply go to gearslutz? You could have a lot fun there and the discussion here would remain civil.

Since you are obviously confused: the statement was a response to (quite meaningless) comparison between the numbers of employees of IKEA and Roland, respectivly. Why meaningless: because the one is a massive retail business that operates hundreds of (quite large) stores worldwide, with all the associated logistics and distribution.

So I indeed do stand by the claim that the vast majority of IKEA employees work in retail, distribution and logistics, and not product development. No pills needed here.

As for the number of product designers (yes, this thread was about product development, not "engineers" that e.g. keep the sprinkler system in the stores up and running): IKEA works a lot with external designers (you'll find them mentioned with the products). I strongly doubt the full time product design team employed by IKEA itself is very large -- certainly not sufficient to dump "50 people on this project" (as you suggested) -- a project that is clearly at the very fringe of their activity.

So if you have anything substantial to add, please go ahead. Otherwise I suggest you continue to take your pills or whatever else you need to enjoy the day.

Return to “General Gear”