Moffenzeef Stargazer - dual wavetable oscillator drone synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Moffenzeef Stargazer - dual wavetable oscillator drone synth

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Realized there wasn't a thread for this here. Just released today, limited to 50 units, for sale direct from them. From the website:

https://www.moffenzeefmodular.com/stargazer/

FEATURES:

DUAL WAVETABLE ØSCILLATØR WITH 90 ARBITRARY WAVEFØRMS

SUBØCTAVE, DETUNE, VØLUME FØR SECØND ØSCILLATØR

2 RESØNANT FILTERS

SAMPLE RATE REDUCTIØN

BIT RATE REDUCTIØN

DIGITAL VCA

3 WAVETABLE LFØS

CMØS DISTØRTIØN WITH 100X GAIN

EXPRESSIØN PEDAL INPUT

1/4" AUDIØ ØUTPUT, IMPEDANCE MATCHED FØR GUITAR AMPS & EFFECTS

6VPP ØUTPUT: SUPER LØUD!

TEENSY AUDIØ LIBRARY/ARDUINØ CØMPATIBLE

SPECS:

’STANDARD’ 9VDC CENTER NEGATIVE "BØSS STYLE" REGULATED PØWER SUPPLY (NØT INCLUDED)

CURRENT DRAW: 70MA +9V

100K ØUTPUT IMPEDANCE

DIMENSIØNS: 6.77” X 7.77” X 1.5”

https://www.moffenzeefmodular.com/stargazer/

Looks and sounds amazing!! I've got one on the way, will be sure to share some sounds and impressions once it arrives.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Caught my eye!

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 pm

it's really good. i've never been into drone boxes but i've heard a few... Ross brought this into modular8 several times so he could play it loud w/o annoying one particular neighbor and it's quite impressive. really refined and great bass, great texture, and very versatile. the bass is something else. nice enclosure nice interface.

it's limited. it's my guess it'll sell out.

paranoidmoonduck
Common Wiggler

Post by paranoidmoonduck » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am

I think this thing sounds fucking astonishingly good. I rarely get a ton of use out of drone boxes and try to limit myself to one at a time, but this thing is a seriously cool standalone digital synth.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am

The device definitely sounds interesting. I am not really into drone or noise boxes either but for some reason the Lyra 8 and this thing both interest me. Maybe I am into them and don’t know it.
----------------------------------------

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

Well as of last night they were down to only 12 of the 50 remaining, so seems sales are going well

Super excited to get this in my hands. Love the fact that this runs on pedal power and is suited for connecting to effects pedals. Thinking a little pedal board drone system with this at the heart might be pretty cool and a great little self contained system.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am

Loving those sounds!

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

I'd be all over this if I hadn't just sprung for an Evolver. Thing sounds great!

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am

7 left now! Super stoked this did so well, hopefully it leads to more stuff like this from them

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah this thing looks like a lot of fun :party:
I wasn't sure about the lack of ins/outs, but after watching the video I get that this is how it's meant to be, and I dig it. Trigger pulled! :miley:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Stare intø the sky møuth agape while shredding parallel dimensiøns with this hypnøtic vømitrøn.

mick
Common Wiggler

Post by mick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 am

Wow, this looks stunning!

dandandan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 am

Can’t motivate a purchase at the moment but examples on instagram sound amazing. Ah well... :despair:

/\/\/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/\/\/ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 am

Yeah sounds nice. Can't afford :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: though. Oh well :despair:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 am

øh well :despair:

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

Hmm... Suppose you were going to buy one drone synth. Would you go for this one or the Lyra 8? I don't care what is inside the box making the sound (digital, analog, whatever), all I care about it noodling away from my big modular.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Demo vid (which is great) says they will be making firmware updates and they have the schem and source code posted, too. Maybe they will be selling PCBs at some point?

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Gribs wrote:Hmm... Suppose you were going to buy one drone synth. Would you go for this one or the Lyra 8? I don't care what is inside the box making the sound (digital, analog, whatever), all I care about it noodling away from my big modular.
They both seem very different with different feature sets and very different sounds. I would look at what both can do and decide which feature set works better for you.

I have also been somewhat interested in the Lyra 8, but not enough to pull the trigger just yet. I was falling all over myself to throw money at Moffenzeef for the stargazer from the very first prototype demo they posted, no idea what it even was at that point, but that sound!

I haven't been this excited for a new piece of gear in a really long time :banana:

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
Gribs wrote:Hmm... Suppose you were going to buy one drone synth. Would you go for this one or the Lyra 8? I don't care what is inside the box making the sound (digital, analog, whatever), all I care about it noodling away from my big modular.
They both seem very different with different feature sets and very different sounds. I would look at what both can do and decide which feature set works better for you.

I have also been somewhat interested in the Lyra 8, but not enough to pull the trigger just yet. I was falling all over myself to throw money at Moffenzeef for the stargazer from the very first prototype demo they posted, no idea what it even was at that point, but that sound!

I haven't been this excited for a new piece of gear in a really long time :banana:
Well, in the end I decided on the Stargazer. I think the Lyra-8 is pretty interesting but after listening to many demos decided the Stargazer "tickles my insides" and "massages my outsides" better :hihi:

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Sold out. Doesn't look like they're planning for a second run. Mine arrived yesterday and I spent a couple hours testing the limits, pushing it through some delay and reverb. This thing has a really nice range within those confines. I sent some LFO into the expression pedal input and it was cascading the three onboard LFOs quite nicely. The two resonant filters, sample reduction, and bit rate reduction lend to some rich harmonics. Very happy with this purchase :yay:

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Nice!! Can't wait for mine to arrive!! :hyper:

Let's hear some demos

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 pm

a few retailers have them in stock per moffenzeef instagram.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 pm

looks very cool, like the wavetable option, i like the lyra 8 a lot, though after doing gigs with i kinda wish it had not 8 of all the same osc's, some thing like wavetables could make a box like that have more different and varying sound potential etc
i now made a 4 voice touch/seq 12U with all different osc's and it pretty cool, better fm, more envelope control, qmmg in the middle etc

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm

de_raaf wrote:looks very cool, like the wavetable option, i like the lyra 8 a lot, though after doing gigs with i kinda wish it had not 8 of all the same osc's, some thing like wavetables could make a box like that have more different and varying sound potential etc
i now made a 4 voice touch/seq 12U with all different osc's and it pretty cool, better fm, more envelope control, qmmg in the middle etc
The Stargazer has two oscs, but there's just one wave selection so both oscs are alwyon the same wave. And then the second osc has a detune and a subosc switch.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 pm

than still due tte wavetablebank it can sound different, a reason why this stargazer probably chose for a wavetable osc's, different vibes possible, which also makes more exciting on the longterm i think

Return to “General Gear”