Dave Smith Sequential Circuits Prophet X

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 am

anselmi wrote:
The SSI2144 is an updated and improved re-issue of the SSM2044, which many believe to be the best-sounding filter IC ever produced.

"SSM chips were at the core of Rev One and Two Prophet 5’s," stated Dan Parks, President of Sound Semiconductor. "So it feels great to be back in a Prophet our the new SSI2144.”
Umm nope that would be the SSM2040 a very different chip.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm

so has anyone here tried or obtained one of these yet?

how intuitive does the sample manipulation interface layout feel (assuming you have alreaady tried those features out)? how smoothly can you morph or xfade between samples?

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 pm

I was surpised to see the were out. Really, nobody has a new DSI toy to tempt us with?

I'm still waiting for the module. :mrgreen:

I don't believe Dave for a second that it wont happen.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am

rowsbywoof wrote:...Really, nobody has a new DSI toy to tempt us with?....
Here is some unboxing (industrial) noise. Together with gloves, a knife, and some red wine :hihi:

[video][/video]
Link:

Btw: The "drums" start at about 1:10 minutes :sb:
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm

weinglas wrote:
Here is some unboxing (industrial) noise. Together with gloves, a knife, and some red wine :hihi:

[video][/video]
Link:

:nana: :nana: :nana:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:09 pm

weinglas
Sounds good! That's intense, and a little creepy haha.

Azarius
Common Wiggler

Post by Azarius » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 pm

weinglas wrote: Here is some unboxing (industrial) noise. Together with gloves, a knife, and some red wine :hihi:
I think that was probably the most amazing unboxing video I've ever seen! It was like Prophet X: The Murder Machine - The Movie! Great soundtrack too!

Well done!

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 pm

anselmi wrote:
weinglas wrote:

[video][/video]
Link:

:nana: :nana: :nana:
Thanks mate!
Azarius wrote:
weinglas wrote: Here is some unboxing (industrial) noise. Together with gloves, a knife, and some red wine :hihi:
I think that was probably the most amazing unboxing video I've ever seen! It was like Prophet X: The Murder Machine - The Movie! Great soundtrack too!

Well done!
Glad you enjoyed it, thanks :hyper:
Sinamsis wrote:weinglas
Sounds good! That's intense, and a little creepy haha.
Yes, unboxing and knifes make a perfect team :sb: Thank you!
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:52 am

Btw: Firmware update to 1.2 with USB stick worked flawlessly on mine :goo:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cortega » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 am

weinglas wrote:Btw: Firmware update to 1.2 with USB stick worked flawlessly on mine :goo:

your Video is awesome, thanks
all the sounds in the Video from PX ?

i would love to hear some more Audio or Video with non standard sounds

greetz

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Cortega wrote:
weinglas wrote:Btw: Firmware update to 1.2 with USB stick worked flawlessly on mine :goo:

your Video is awesome, thanks
all the sounds in the Video from PX ?

i would love to hear some more Audio or Video with non standard sounds

greetz
Thanks a lot :oops:

And I promise there will be more after the heatwave :guinness:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:15 pm

A gearslutz user has made a list of the Prophet VS Samples in the Prophet X:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Docs/Prophet ... _In_PX.pdf
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

littletinymonkey
Learning to Wiggle

Prophet X Factory Presets - Category Sort

Post by littletinymonkey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 am

Hello everyone. I used the Prophet X SoundTower program to extract the Program Bank and Category names in order to create myself a list that is sorted by Category.

I did this with the Prophet-6 about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised this time around that the Prophet X editor includes the ability to export a text list of program names, numbers, and categories. The Prophet-6 editor doesn't include this functionality, making it a bit more difficult to extract the information, so this added feature is pretty nifty.

Here's the link to the category sorted Prophet X text file. Note: Any misspellings were not corrected. For example, Etnics isn't a word.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6yw6sbr8ta30 ... t.txt?dl=1

If you are curious, here are the steps I performed on a Windows PC to make this happen:
  • File > Prophet X Bank Manager / Librarian
  • File > Program Bank Names
  • Select the following checkboxes: Include Numbers and Include categorys
  • Click [All Factory Banks]
  • Click [Copy to clipboard]
  • Lastly, I pasted into a text editor (UltraEdit) and did some fancy column editing and sorting.
Now if I could only extract a DSI Prophet X shot glass out of the editor I'd be set!! :guinness:

P.S. Here's a link to the P6 one that I created a while back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6ddspqahby0r ... t.txt?dl=1

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Prophet X Factory Presets - Category Sort

Post by weinglas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you so much for the list! This is really helpful :hail:
littletinymonkey wrote:Hello everyone. I used the Prophet X SoundTower program to extract the Program Bank and Category names in order to create myself a list that is sorted by Category.

I did this with the Prophet-6 about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised this time around that the Prophet X editor includes the ability to export a text list of program names, numbers, and categories. The Prophet-6 editor doesn't include this functionality, making it a bit more difficult to extract the information, so this added feature is pretty nifty.

Here's the link to the category sorted Prophet X text file. Note: Any misspellings were not corrected. For example, Etnics isn't a word.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6yw6sbr8ta30 ... t.txt?dl=1

If you are curious, here are the steps I performed on a Windows PC to make this happen:
  • File > Prophet X Bank Manager / Librarian
  • File > Program Bank Names
  • Select the following checkboxes: Include Numbers and Include categorys
  • Click [All Factory Banks]
  • Click [Copy to clipboard]
  • Lastly, I pasted into a text editor (UltraEdit) and did some fancy column editing and sorting.
Now if I could only extract a DSI Prophet X shot glass out of the editor I'd be set!! :guinness:

P.S. Here's a link to the P6 one that I created a while back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6ddspqahby0r ... t.txt?dl=1
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 am

[video][/video]
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I'm half way through and already sorely tempted. Ha, but I'm still holding off to see if a desktop unit will come out.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:37 am

Sinamsis wrote:Thanks for sharing this. I'm half way through and already sorely tempted. Ha, but I'm still holding off to see if a desktop unit will come out.
I have more gear lust for this than anything else before.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:28 am

What do you think are the chances of Super Plate coming over to the other synths ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:What do you think are the chances of Super Plate coming over to the other synths ?
Interesting question. DSI is planning to port sequencer beat sync across its line, I suppose it could come down to the capacity for expansion of the FX DSP.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:03 am

Sinamsis wrote:I'm still holding off to see if a desktop unit will come out.
or a Pro-X :goo:

4 voices, just 1 sample instrument per voice + 1 oscillator and Pro-2 connectivity

I´d be a happy man

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:27 am

anselmi wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:I'm still holding off to see if a desktop unit will come out.
or a Pro-X :goo:

4 voices, just 1 sample instrument per voice + 1 oscillator and Pro-2 connectivity

I´d be a happy man
Interesting thought. But if something like this gets ever released, i bet it would be only without the 8dio library ...

Here is my take on programming a Prophet VS sound (with gloves and with audio rate modulation :twisted: :hihi: :sb: )

[video][/video]
Link:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 am

The demos in the Sonic State video go from, meh to holy shit that's amazing. This thing has incredible potential. I wish I could justify it, but unless I sold off some gear I really can't make room for it. Probably the most interested I've ever been in a DSI synth, though.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:19 am

weinglas that's awesome.

I recently got a Rev2 and I'm blown away. I've even rescinded my aversion to the Curtis filter. It actually just needs finesse and then it is pad perfection.

The Prophet X looks amazing. I'm almost thinking of selling my modular.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

Currently reading through the Quantum manual. If that synth works well, I got to be honest , given that the sonic review didn’t seem that impressed by the sample side , not many layers etc, and suggested they were better thought of as a base to manipulate, the Quantum seems like a hell of a lot more synth for your money. Although in the Quantum manual, it is quick to point out that it shouldn’t be seen as a replacement for multi sample instruments etc where as the X seems better at filling that role too.

The X seems more of an instrument, I’d worry that the Quantum would feel more like a software synth forced into a keyboard, there are a ton of menus etc.

Different synths I know, but they’re in the same price bracket.

The Osc are so deep on the Quantum though, so many options, it is Impressive on paper, at least.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:Currently reading through the Quantum manual. If that synth works well, I got to be honest , given that the sonic review didn’t \
Charlie Clouser likes both, just feels each has its role

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4237944
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

Return to “General Gear”