Dave Smith Sequential Circuits Prophet X

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:Currently reading through the Quantum manual. If that synth works well, I got to be honest , given that the sonic review didn’t \
Charlie Clouser likes both, just feels each has its role

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4237944
His comment about the PX being easier to get to a usable new sound is how I've felt about it though, purely from videos I haven't touched one.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am also wary of spending that much money on a complex Waldorf.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

dubonaire wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:Currently reading through the Quantum manual. If that synth works well, I got to be honest , given that the sonic review didn’t \

His comment about the PX being easier to get to a usable new sound is how I've felt about it though, purely from videos I haven't touched one.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am also wary of spending that much money on a complex Waldorf.
No, I think you should, given their history with the Blofeld, that said their Nave app works well. I don’t know what the synth was programmed with, I don’t know anything about that sort of stuff, but the interface looks clean, more like a vst. I hope it isn’t like the Modal I had , that felt like a PC stuck in a keyboard, although it sounded amazing to my ears.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:25 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff. Both seem like great synths, both are bloody expensive. I’m so tempted to get one but it would mean letting go of my modular :deadbanana:
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm really debating selling my P12 to fund this. I have love hate thing with the P12. I feel like the core sound is over all meh, but the features and UI are so amazing I can never let it go. It's not even for the money, but really the space. Haha, I think I need to go take a cold shower.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:30 pm

A buddy of mine brought his Prophet 6 over so we could jam on it, fiddle with the knobs, etc etc. He said he tried the Prophet 12 and thought it required too much time to tweak to get the sounds he was looking for. He didn't like the filter on the P8.
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:12 am

Riding the VS Waves with the sliders (and the sliders work with gloves ;) )

[video][/video]
Link:
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 am

I have to say that this is a really cool synth, and that I would be all over a desktop version.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:A buddy of mine brought his Prophet 6 over so we could jam on it, fiddle with the knobs, etc etc. He said he tried the Prophet 12 and thought it required too much time to tweak to get the sounds he was looking for. He didn't like the filter on the P8.
Yeah, to each their own I guess. I personally love mine, but I always feel like there's an asterisk. If it had the P6 filters.... no asterisk haha. I've owned almost every DSI synth (I think as it stands, the only ones I have not owned are the OB-6, Pro 2 and Prophet X). I guess I'm biased, but I find the workflow very intuitive, and the Prophet 12 has been the pinnacle of DSI UI, for me at least. The Prophet 6 sounded good but the architecture was too simple for me, which is what I love about DSI synths. Anyways, I think the P12 is very fast to program. But I guess to hone it in exactly like you want, it can take a minute.

Anyways, I think I'm caving. I'm clearing a bunch of shit, and I'll probably join the club soon. If it had a weighted keyboard it would be a no brainer for me. But I guess that won't stop me after all haha.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Anyways, I think I'm caving. I'm clearing a bunch of shit, and I'll probably join the club soon. If it had a weighted keyboard it would be a no brainer for me. But I guess that won't stop me after all haha.
I have no doubt you will join the club.

It is definitely on my want to buy list. But right now I have some non studio related expenditure so it will probably be next year. I want to spend more time getting to know some of my existing gear better anyway, I've barely scratched the surface of the Rev2. Also my location makes my big hardware somewhat illiquid, so I keep everything, and I already seem to have more than I need.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:A buddy of mine brought his Prophet 6 over so we could jam on it, fiddle with the knobs, etc etc. He said he tried the Prophet 12 and thought it required too much time to tweak to get the sounds he was looking for. He didn't like the filter on the P8.
Yeah, to each their own I guess. I personally love mine, but I always feel like there's an asterisk. If it had the P6 filters.... no asterisk haha. I've owned almost every DSI synth (I think as it stands, the only ones I have not owned are the OB-6, Pro 2 and Prophet X). I guess I'm biased, but I find the workflow very intuitive, and the Prophet 12 has been the pinnacle of DSI UI, for me at least. The Prophet 6 sounded good but the architecture was too simple for me, which is what I love about DSI synths. Anyways, I think the P12 is very fast to program. But I guess to hone it in exactly like you want, it can take a minute.

Anyways, I think I'm caving. I'm clearing a bunch of shit, and I'll probably join the club soon. If it had a weighted keyboard it would be a no brainer for me. But I guess that won't stop me after all haha.
He plays in an improvisational music setting (jazz/funk band), so it was important to him to be able to tweak sounds on a dime, which was one reason he chose the synth with the simpler architecture. It essentially replaced a Roland System 8 as the synth partner to his "electric piano" 'board.

I still have my eye on the PX too, but unexpected expenses (car repairs, roof repair, etc.) as well a deal on a guitar I'd been wanting for a while just added up. I need a couple of years of saving up and clearing out gear too. Should be more than enough time to evaluate the PX for my own needs.
Member of Alliance for Synth Farting

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm

dubonaire
Haha, we all know I have impulse control issues. And perhaps I'm one Belgian ale from taking the plunge. Ha, but honestly I really would have to make some space. And I have a closet filling up with things I need to sell. So it's 50/50 on this one for now. That and we have a baby coming soon (talk about expenses), so if it doesn't happen before that, it might be a while (maybe we'll see a desktop by then). Part of me feels like I should hold out until they implement sample import too. Ha, but we'll see!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Sinamsis wrote:dubonaire
Haha, we all know I have impulse control issues. And perhaps I'm one Belgian ale from taking the plunge. Ha, but honestly I really would have to make some space. And I have a closet filling up with things I need to sell. So it's 50/50 on this one for now. That and we have a baby coming soon (talk about expenses), so if it doesn't happen before that, it might be a while (maybe we'll see a desktop by then). Part of me feels like I should hold out until they implement sample import too. Ha, but we'll see!
Yeah I think there will be some benefit in not being an early adopter.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am

Right now, I am telling myself that Omnisphere/Ableton/Push 2 can handle these types of sounds for me. But, I know I don’t use that enough, it isn’t as fun as tweaking knobs, etc.

Really don’t need keys though so I get to look at using the in the box solution for now.

I will continue to watch this thread with interest though

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm

dubonaire wrote:weinglas that's awesome.
Thank you Sir :goo:
I recently got a Rev2 and I'm blown away. I've even rescinded my aversion to the Curtis filter. It actually just needs finesse and then it is pad perfection.

The Prophet X looks amazing. I'm almost thinking of selling my modular.
While the modulation possibilities are almost like a modular (and you know this because of your Rev2), a modular still is something special: Your own built personal instrument. So I sold some vintage synths in order to afford the X, not my modular.
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm

weinglas wrote:
dubonaire wrote:weinglas that's awesome.
Thank you Sir :goo:
I recently got a Rev2 and I'm blown away. I've even rescinded my aversion to the Curtis filter. It actually just needs finesse and then it is pad perfection.

The Prophet X looks amazing. I'm almost thinking of selling my modular.
While the modulation possibilities are almost like a modular (and you know this because of your Rev2), a modular still is something special: Your own built personal instrument. So I sold some vintage synths in order to afford the X, not my modular.
I will never sell my modular, you are right.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 am

This thread has been quite too long. Anybody else get a Prophet X or spend time with one?

I have been messing around with Omnisphere 2.5 more; the additional layers and modulation are awesome. Also, I have been downsizing my Euro because I decided to focus on my 200e but I decided to try and scratch my Prophet X itch with a 6u built around a Percussa SSP and a Linnstrument. We will see how this goes.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 am

deltaphoenix wrote:This thread has been quite too long. Anybody else get a Prophet X or spend time with one?

I have been messing around with Omnisphere 2.5 more; the additional layers and modulation are awesome. Also, I have been downsizing my Euro because I decided to focus on my 200e but I decided to try and scratch my Prophet X itch with a 6u built around a Percussa SSP and a Linnstrument. We will see how this goes.
I still love mine. Sounds great and has an almost perfect user interface for all those features. It just lacks a display that shows the sample waveform and a joystick for all the Prophet VS fun. But as I have shown above, you can use the touch sliders instead of a joystick: .

BUT: 8dio have postponed their announced sample libraries till the end of the year without publishing a reason. Besides of the highly anticipated Prophet 5 sample pack it would have been nice to know how big and how expensive these libraries will be. Hopefully this won't have any effect on the sample import schedule. But it might hurt sales.

So maybe it is better to wait until the sample import is available, if this is the feature you are missing at the moment.

And while your 6u sample mangling system will be awesome, I think both "synths" are quite different: The Prophet X is almost semimodular with all those modulation options that can do sample mangling, too. But you don't have any CV, just Midi. So it is far from being a "modular" sample player and mangler. On the other hand you have all features within one single easy to use instrument.
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Inconsequential_circuits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Inconsequential_circuits » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 am

Can you actually sample new sounds on this keyboard pitched across the keybed or just use the samples included or maybe load more?

Can you sample exterrnal sources and sounds created with the oscillators/wavetables?

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 am

According to the Sonicstate review you cannot import samples yet!

Small screen and lack of waveform display is questionable here... Nick said that with long samples it's not possible to make very fine adjustments to the start/end points so sometimes you cannot get smooth loops.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 am

It is not a sampling workstation, that's been made very clear.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

dubonaire wrote:It is not a sampling workstation, that's been made very clear.
No, it isn’t!
But my library of strange sampled voices, noises and sounds is waiting for the day it can be uploaded. This will turn the Prophet X into a completely different machine :twisted:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Theres one listed on ProAudioStar for $3300. I'm really tempted. But I'm waiting. I want to know for sure that sample import is supported, and I'd like to know for sure that a module version will or will not be available. Haha I'm not sure how long my self control will last.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Ok I caved. That one that was listed at ProAudioStar... well I got another 10% off which made it too good to pass up. Combined with the fact that I have made some room in the studio, and the fact that it looks like we’ll be moving into a bigger home in the near future... I rationalized it. I know. I’m a weak willed motherfucker. What you guys don’t know is I also bought a second hand PolyEvolver last week. But, like I said... I sold some higher ticket items. And now it looks like the Prophet 12 has to go. There’s a limit to how much DSI I keep in the studio due to my addiction haha. Anyways I’m super stoked to join the club. I’m sure I’ll kick myself when the desktop module comes out. But if it’s anything like the P12 desktop I’ll be glad I went with keys.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Oh and I know Dubonaire is laughing at me. Which I deserve.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Oh and I know Dubonaire is laughing at me. Which I deserve.
:chug:

It was only a matter of time. I'm jealous actually.

Return to “General Gear”