Dave Smith Sequential Circuits Prophet X

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Fuck my impatience! Haha, this whole time I've been bitching about wanting a larger, hammer action keybed. The way I read this, this is the only "upgrade" right? The 32 voice paraphonic thing is applicable to both I believe. Ha, oh well. The discounted price I got on the PX would make the newer version a much tougher pill to swallow, maybe one day...

As an aside, personally I think the decision to mount the control panel in the center of the board somewhat of a waste of space. For example, I like that the controls of my Virus TI were all on the left side, leaving a decently large space to the right (I actually had a P '08 module sitting there for a long time).

As another aside, is this the big announcement DSI teased? I got the impression that it was meant to compete with the Moog One. I certainly hope not. Haha.
I never learnt the piano so a hammer action keyboard would be largely useless for me.

Interesting point about the control panel.

I don't know if this is the big announcement. I don't really see these synths as directly competing although if someone had a limited budget I guess it could be one or the other. This synth gets you into newer sonic territory in my opinion.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:38 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:Fuck my impatience! Haha, this whole time I've been bitching about wanting a larger, hammer action keybed. The way I read this, this is the only "upgrade" right? The 32 voice paraphonic thing is applicable to both I believe. Ha, oh well. The discounted price I got on the PX would make the newer version a much tougher pill to swallow, maybe one day...

As an aside, personally I think the decision to mount the control panel in the center of the board somewhat of a waste of space. For example, I like that the controls of my Virus TI were all on the left side, leaving a decently large space to the right (I actually had a P '08 module sitting there for a long time).

As another aside, is this the big announcement DSI teased? I got the impression that it was meant to compete with the Moog One. I certainly hope not. Haha.
I never learnt the piano so a hammer action keyboard would be largely useless for me.

Interesting point about the control panel.

I don't know if this is the big announcement. I don't really see these synths as directly competing although if someone had a limited budget I guess it could be one or the other. This synth gets you into newer sonic territory in my opinion.
Ha yes, there really is no comparison between the two. But someone in the Moog thread had mentioned that DSI had teased that something big would be announced, and maybe I just assumed it was something to compare to the Moog One. But I thought they had said it was supposed to be a new flagship analog poly. Ha, but who knows, I'm pretty sleep deprived these days. Anyways, I hope this isn't the alleged big announcement haha.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Sinamsis wrote:But someone in the Moog thread had mentioned that DSI had teased that something big would be announced, and maybe I just assumed it was something to compare to the Moog One. But I thought they had said it was supposed to be a new flagship analog poly. Ha, but who knows, I'm pretty sleep deprived these days. Anyways, I hope this isn't the alleged big announcement haha.
I would be surprised if they announced yet another poly. Unless sales of the other polys are really dwindling, they would just be self-competing and they already have several self-competing products. Maybe they'll release an update on the P12 which could be P16 or 32 with the PX filters.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:18 pm

dubonaire wrote:I would be surprised if they announced yet another poly
Agree. It's not a big news sized reveal but it'd be great if the news was a Prophet X desktop module - or the option to import your own samples (finally) into the Prophet X.
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, New Releases on EPTC, Spring/Summer 2020:
"This is the TRUTH!": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-the-truth
"A Portable Paul Krassner": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/paul-krassner

This week's show is a tribute to David Wojnarowicz:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:56 pm

shit...just the opposite of what I want! :mad: :bang: :cry:

I was dreaming about a "Pro-X"...same concept of the Pro-2 but with samples instead of the digital oscillators

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:50 pm

dubonaire wrote:
I would be surprised if they announced yet another poly. Unless sales of the other polys are really dwindling, they would just be self-competing and they already have several self-competing products. Maybe they'll release an update on the P12 which could be P16 or 32 with the PX filters.

Ha, I think a lot of people have been waiting for an updated P12 with better filters. If they did that, they will have knocked it right out of the park. Although really the PX covers a lot of that territory. The only thing you don't get is the interpolation of the wavetables like you do on the P12.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 pm

So it looks like the Prophet XL does not actually have hammer action keys, but semi-weighted keys that look like piano keys. Is that right? Ha, what a missed opportunity... my interest has now completely gone. But good for them. I've been out of town, and really have not had a ton of time with the Prophet X. Anyways, the XL is supposed to ship in November, so maybe we'll see the new OS that will allow for 32 voices on the X as well at that point. Also, hopefully we'll see the ability to upload user samples.

Anyways, even as is, this synth is so powerful. And a joy to program. I'm admittedly a little distracted with work, and the Moog One that just landed. But really between those two, I feel like I'm wanting for very little. I have a few other poly synths, and I certainly am starting to feel some guilt as I've never really been a collector. But I have a soft spot for synths with digital oscillators and analog filters, and I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to let go of any of them just yet. I will say, the Prophet VS samples on this thing sound great from what I've heard so we'll see.

KoryB
Common Wiggler

Post by KoryB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 am

anselmi wrote:shit...just the opposite of what I want! :mad: :bang: :cry:

I was dreaming about a "Pro-X"...same concept of the Pro-2 but with samples instead of the digital oscillators
Been dreaming of the same thing. An Evolver reboot with sampling capabilities would be spectacular and useful.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:33 pm

[video][/video]

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Are owners still pleased with their purchase? I went and tried it twice and the second time I was really impressed. Is the price tag justified? What about sample import, any of you tried that yet?

I think I'm going to order one but just wanted to check in here first, just in case...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 pm

Gyroscope wrote:Are owners still pleased with their purchase? I went and tried it twice and the second time I was really impressed. Is the price tag justified? What about sample import, any of you tried that yet?

I think I'm going to order one but just wanted to check in here first, just in case...
I'm enjoying mine, no regrets. I did get mine at a great price. But I don't think that would sway me. I did not realize sample import was implemented! Ha, that's embarrassing. I will definitely check it out.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:07 am

Ok thanks man. I'm not sure about sample import but I thought I had read that somewhere.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am

Got this today, it's huge!!! Put a few things in to give an idea of scale! :hmm:

I'll post up some videos on my youtube channel over the next few days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQjhNY ... _ODNiYQ?v=

[/img]

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 am

[video][/video]

No messing when it comes to videos!

Some Prophet Xl sound Tweakage

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:11 am

[video][/video]

I wanted to see how the Prophet xl fitted in with the other synths

Prophet Xl is running onboard fx, Techno system Bassline is run through the Erica Blackhole, Techno system hats and symbols are run through the Erica Dual FX and modulated by the Erica Modulator(as is the Erica Bassline) Deepmind is modulated internally + Onboard FX and a ring modulator from the QU32 mixer.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:04 am

Sounds From The Shed wrote:[video][/video]

Prophet Xl is running onboard fx, Techno system Bassline is run through the Erica Blackhole, Techno system hats and symbols are run through the Erica Dual FX and modulated by the Erica Modulator(as is the Erica Bassline) Deepmind is modulated internally + Onboard FX and a ring modulator from the QU32 mixer.
Keep 'em coming man, that's great!

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
Sounds From The Shed wrote:[video][/video]

Keep 'em coming man, that's great!
Thanks for that Gyroscope :tu:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Thread, Roundtable, and Q+A about voicing Prophet X with six members of the Prophet X voicing team: Richard Devine, Rory Dow, Drew Neumann, Francis Preve, James Terris, and Mitch Thomas.
Some interesting tips and thoughts.

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:41 am

Question to owners: How do the bit conversion effects sound? Is it something more characteristic than a bit crusher, or is it the typical DSI bit crusher sound?

Edit: n/m it IS the hack and decimate that DSI is fond of.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Shot another video of Prophet X patches. Same shitty playing. New patches. I've really been enjoying routing the mod matrix to the built in effects. I felt like I had hit a wall with this synth a while back. But taking time away from it has really inspired me.

[video][/video]

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 am

Sinamsis wrote:Shot another video of Prophet X patches. Same shitty playing. New patches. I've really been enjoying routing the mod matrix to the built in effects. I felt like I had hit a wall with this synth a while back. But taking time away from it has really inspired me.
Nice Sinamsis!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm

dubonaire
Thank you! I commented on the Rev 2 thread, ha, but I'm feeling equally inspired with the Prophet X. It has some of the same nice features of the Rev 2, but lacks some really fun stuff. For me, I really am missing the 4x4 gated step sequencer, particularly the ability to manually step through the values. The modulation options are similarly extensive in both. The sine waves in this thing are great for FM patches. Unfortunately, Rossum's filter doesn't seem to track pitch as well as the filter on the Rev2/Prophet (or mine doesn't, maybe I need to calibrate?). I've slowly incorporated samples into synthesized patches. Percussive samples layered in lightly help augment the attack of certain sounds. The ability to pan the samples and oscillators is really nice. I have yet to create my own samples but it's on the list. Using the second layer with percussive samples that are arpeggiated adds a nice rhythmic texture, but it would be nice to strategically place some of those percussion samples so it's less "random." Or perhaps only placing samples on specific notes and leaving the others empty so that only certain notes are emphasized. There are a lot of possibilities I have yet to explore. But this thing is very capable, and very well laid out.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:55 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Unfortunately, Rossum's filter doesn't seem to track pitch as well as the filter on the Rev2/Prophet (or mine doesn't, maybe I need to calibrate?).
Does changing the key track setting have any effect?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:Unfortunately, Rossum's filter doesn't seem to track pitch as well as the filter on the Rev2/Prophet (or mine doesn't, maybe I need to calibrate?).
It definitely does. But playing the same note across the 8 voices, I notice there’s variation in the pitch. Reading the manual at 127 this setting should follow half step increments so you can use the filter as an oscillator. Maybe I just need to do the filter calibration routine.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
It definitely does. But playing the same note across the 8 voices, I notice there’s variation in the pitch. Reading the manual at 127 this setting should follow half step increments so you can use the filter as an oscillator. Maybe I just need to do the filter calibration routine.
It's worth a shot. Have you tried the Sequential Prophet X forum?

Return to “General Gear”