Dreadbox Erebus 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 am

jakobprogsch wrote:I picked up mine last week from the shop and am very happy with it so far. I also have a Nyx and a Lil' Erebus kit. To my ear the (half) Nyx filter sounds identical to the V3. Which seems plausible given both are state variable filters. The Lil Erebus is slightly different. but in the sense that you have to actively look for the differences. To my ear the Lil Erebus has a bit less "base resonance" and also slightly "squelchier" resonance near the max. Also the knob range of the V3 is slightly wider than the Lil Erebus. But I doubt I could identify them without a direct comparison.
how about the oscillators?

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm

anselmi wrote:how about the oscillators?
V3 and Nyx sound the same to me. Not sure about the Lil' Erebus since it doesn't have a separate VCO out that would allow separating it from the Filter.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Got my Erebus v3 yesterday and played with it for about an hour today. It sounds beautiful... Key points I have explored and absolutely adore...

Hooking the LFO to the PW... ok that is boring, but sounded great
The sound of the delay (Echo)
The Ring modulation (particular with OSC3's FM are pretty keen)
The filter... just wow...
The individual glides on OSC 1 & 2

Anyway, for anyone still awaiting there's this is an awesome instrument, you will not be disappointed.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

yamaha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yamaha » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Can anyone with both the V1/V2 and V3 elaborate a bit on the differences soundwise?

My retailer offers the possibility to swap units in 365 days (bought a V2 in February) so I could still do that. The feature set of the V3 is incredible, but as mentioned by a couple of others above, I'm unsure whether it 'beats' the V2 in terms of the filter (though it's hard to judge from youtube vids).

I know this is kind of (very) subjective, but if you own and love the V2, I think most of you will understand the filter characteristics i'm referring to.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm

yamaha wrote:Can anyone with both the V1/V2 and V3 elaborate a bit on the differences soundwise?

My retailer offers the possibility to swap units in 365 days (bought a V2 in February) so I could still do that. The feature set of the V3 is incredible, but as mentioned by a couple of others above, I'm unsure whether it 'beats' the V2 in terms of the filter (though it's hard to judge from youtube vids).

I know this is kind of (very) subjective, but if you own and love the V2, I think most of you will understand the filter characteristics i'm referring to.
I think the differences between the V1 and V2 are just in the possibilities, look at the differences in the patch bays.

I would love a sine wave and noise, and like the idea of a ring mod, but I picked the V2 even though it was the same price because I prefer a simpler patch bay on semi-modulars, prefer knobs to those sliders, and also the smaller size.

And yeah, the filter is awesome.

yamaha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yamaha » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply; yeah I said V1/V2 because I consider them the same soundwise (sorry, that wasn't clear maybe). So, I'm looking for some comparisons with the V3.

I prefer sliders for envelopes, but for the rest i prefer knobs as well tbh.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 am

I wouldn't say the V1 and V2 sound the same, considering you can patch an LFO or whatever to different things, you can get different sounds. Now if you're talking raw oscillators, then maybe yes, but maybe it's the same for the same waves on V3.

I don't mind sliders, but I would prefer them with those plastic bits on top.

icosa
Common Wiggler

Post by icosa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:50 am

Just picked up a v3. Really enjoying it so far. Question for those that have one and have updated to the latest firmware. Do you still hear the auto tuning procedure when the synth is sitting? The only way I can silence it is turning off pin 1. Just curious if that’s normal.

Edit. Got a message from Yiannis that it’s totally normal. You can tune it once and then turn off pin 1 and it shouldn’t tune anymore. Thought I’d update in case anyone was wondering.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Sat May 25, 2019 4:50 pm

would love to hear more demos of this thing

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am

pmboos wrote:Got my Erebus v3 yesterday and played with it for about an hour today. It sounds beautiful... Key points I have explored and absolutely adore...

Hooking the LFO to the PW... ok that is boring, but sounded great
The sound of the delay (Echo)
The Ring modulation (particular with OSC3's FM are pretty keen)
The filter... just wow...
The individual glides on OSC 1 & 2

Anyway, for anyone still awaiting there's this is an awesome instrument, you will not be disappointed.
Came here to say just this! So happy with mine.

windchill
Common Wiggler

CV tracking problems

Post by windchill » Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm

I've discovered that although it's absolutely fine via midi my erebus 3 does not track cv properly at all. The different oscillators do not stay in tune with each other when using the global cv or their own cv inputs. They go out of tune at various pitches and do not track consistently.
The problem is bad enough to render it pretty much unusable via cv - either from my Eurorack or from the cv outputs of my Keystep. I've tried with auto-tuning both on and off but it doesn't make any difference.

[EDIT] I checked with Dreadbox and apparently this is normal. The CV inputs are really for modulation rather than full-on pitch tracking and the results will be inconsistent. The manual does recommend MIDI rather than CV but I didn't realise that it was quite that important. As it stands it can't be used with my Eurorack sequencers.
Last edited by windchill on Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Can we hav demo of "triple ring" sounds purrlease?

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 am

Patiently awaiting mine! Got it to complete my setup until the UDO Super 6 comes out.

Very happy with the sounds I've heard, I think it'll fit in great with my current setup.

Edit: Yep, sounds incredible. I like it way more than the Mother 32 I had and sold so far. Very interesting design and layout.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Re: CV tracking problems

Post by jakobprogsch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:26 pm

windchill wrote: [EDIT] I checked with Dreadbox and apparently this is normal. The CV inputs are really for modulation rather than full-on pitch tracking and the results will be inconsistent. The manual does recommend MIDI rather than CV but I didn't realise that it was quite that important. As it stands it can't be used with my Eurorack sequencers.
In principle you can put some scaling in between the sequencer and cv input and get it to track that way. The CV inputs do track exponentially. It's just that the scaling is slightly off due to using fixed resistors.
If you are very adventurous you can replace the fixed scaling resistors in the unit with trimmers and tune it (I did that to both my Erebus V3 and Nyx V2). I'm going to assume that super voids the warranty though for obvious reasons.

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 pm

An Erebus S.E. just got release for those of you who really dug the Hypnosis design.

http://www.synthanatomy.com/wp-content/ ... 4x492.jpeg
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:40 pm

That woudl be confusing to me as they would look too much alike (since I have both...) Plus I really like the teal of the Erebus. I noticed on Dreadbox's site they no longer mention the Abyss.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Sigh... I like it.

I see how it can appear confusing, I think it’s meant more to link the Erebus to Hypno in your head and make you GAS for both...

Edit: Suspicion confirmed. Appears there’s a bundle discount for the two. I can’t tell if by seeing through a marketing tactic I should buy the bundle anyway... :hmm:

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Praying for a Nyx Erebus bundle.

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:16 am

guigui wrote:Praying for a Nyx Erebus bundle.
I'll take that action.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 am

I can't make up my mind tbh, to either buy the Nyx 2 or the Erebus 3 or both! :doh:

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am

You’re gonna end up with both. One at a time my friend.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 am

Birth_Chord wrote:You’re gonna end up with both. One at a time my friend.
Yeah I picked up the Erebus V3 after it just came out. I have the NYX V1 and when I started to see that the NYX V2 was coming out I thought that looks like some nice additions. But I was justifying that I really didn't need to get it. In all honesty I have enough Synths to last me for the rest of my life.

Every time I watched a video/demo of the NYX V2 I kept telling myself I am not going to buy it. Then I got a 20% off code from MF in an email. There are a few other new items I kind of want so I tried the code on everyone which it wouldn't apply too. Then I thought I would try on the NYX V2 and it took. Damn it! I told myself I really don't need it plus I shouldn't spend the $ right now.

But on the last day (6/20) and practically last hour that the coupon code was going to expire I gave in and hit the buy button. It was showing expected date of 6/28 but now it slipped to 7/5 but that's ok, I don't really need it :mrgreen:

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:17 pm

That was poetic.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Congrats on the purchase... It was meant for you! I predict that you will make fantastic music with it and share it with us here.
---

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Anyone able to talk me out of buying the Erebus / Hypnosis combo...?

Return to “General Gear”