Dreadbox Erebus 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 am

pmboos wrote:That woudl be confusing to me as they would look too much alike (since I have both...) Plus I really like the teal of the Erebus. I noticed on Dreadbox's site they no longer mention the Abyss.
You are correct. I'm glad I have mine, nearly a year in and I'm still exploring it.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:58 am

It has moved into the discontinued section. I really like using the Abyss with the Hypnosis. Which is a bit awkward since it obsoletes most of the Abyss effects section.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am

Birth_Chord wrote:You’re gonna end up with both. One at a time my friend.
Well, the thing is i can't decide as most of the Youtube vids are garbage, no demos of either box doing snappy basses without resonance applied. I know i could just go buy one of either and return it within 14 days!

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:...no demos of either box doing snappy basses without resonance applied.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? As in what general settings you are thinking about? I was thinking of doing some comparison videos of Erebus/Nyx and new/old versions of them.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:06 pm

jakobprogsch wrote:
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:...no demos of either box doing snappy basses without resonance applied.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? As in what general settings you are thinking about? I was thinking of doing some comparison videos of Erebus/Nyx and new/old versions of them.
Sonething like snappy moog type basses.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 am

jakobprogsch wrote:It has moved into the discontinued section. I really like using the Abyss with the Hypnosis. Which is a bit awkward since it obsoletes most of the Abyss effects section.
I've yet to explore passing external signals through the Abyss FX; I can't afford a Hypnosis, and I already have a Lexicon Vortex for time-based FX madness.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 pm

This vid has some triple ring in it; also don't know if it has any of those 'snappy' Moog basses as I am not sure I know how to interpret that myself.

Cheers!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I had mine and just returned it for the Erebus + Hypnosis bundled color scheme... Discounted and it'll look nice next to the OB-6. I still believe the Erebus is a low key modern classic.

I'm a sucker for the Hypnosis sounds despite its drawbacks, which is really only one, no sync or MIDI, but I'm used to that as a guitar player.

Tim Shoebridge has a whole series on it, one video dedicated to the ring I believe.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm

I managed to try out an Erebus v3 for a while today, i think it sounds a bit weak in the bass department tbh. Even though automatic tuning is on, you still have to tune those oscillators every now and again.

Pity there is no independent level controls for OSC 1 and 2

Only way to get some more bass out of the Erebus is to boost the lows in the 20-50Hz region and cut 200-500Hz in the mids. (Maybe i didn't engage the triple ring enough)

Also there seems to be no pre-fed resonance in the filter (i didn't hear it if there actually is!) Seems soft with resonance at zero and filter half open.

Thought about the NYX but it's more aimed at special effects as it's good at that.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:55 pm

I love the sound too much, it's right up there with when I heard the OB-6 the first time for my tastes, I remember the characteristic sound, patch, video and the video's timestamp.

I'm going to play to its strengths and fill in any of its weaknesses elsewhere, with the Hypnosis it'll add a new dimension to it (they're still in the mail). I think it would be cool if the two were combined in sort of a mega-Erebus with insane onboard effects, that's something we never really see these days. Best reverb I've heard lately on a synth was the Peak and the OB-6 has an excellent selection but is limited to two + distortion.

I could imagine Dreadbox doing a sub-$1,500 analog 4 oscillator mono with an outrageous effects section. They've got the Hypnosis (chorus-flanger, delay, spring reverb), Komorebi (smaller Hypnosis with only chorus-flanger but has Eurorack integration), and the delay/reverb on the Nyx/Erebus... I don't think it'd cannibalize their sales too much if they ensure it sounds different than the Nyx/Erebus and is in a different price bracket and develop new effects... I'd buy one instantly, maybe over the Moog Matriarch. But, that's a pipe dream.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 pm

My hope right now is that they will come out with an Abyss v2. It already had oodles of effects on it. It would be awesome if they found a way to add more modulation capabilities and/or patch points. Perhaps they can go with teh same manufacturing as the Erebus v3 and reduce the cost.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:43 pm

pmboos wrote:My hope right now is that they will come out with an Abyss v2. It already had oodles of effects on it. It would be awesome if they found a way to add more modulation capabilities and/or patch points. Perhaps they can go with teh same manufacturing as the Erebus v3 and reduce the cost.
That'd be really nice too, at minimum I'd hope my example was paraphonic. But a new Abyss would be great, never used the original. Just got into Dreadbox but I've liked everything I've heard. I had to look up Abyss again as I thought it was a bass synth for some reason but it's a four voices poly sounds excellent.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:I managed to try out an Erebus v3 for a while today, i think it sounds a bit weak in the bass department tbh.
Compared to what? It certainly holds up to my V2 Erebus, Nyxes and Grandmother. I find going from headphones to headphones has more influence on my bassyness perception than going from synth to synth.

About the filters: I did some poking around inside all of the Erebuses and Nyxes and from what I can tell Erebus V1/V2 and Nyx V1/V2 all use the same LM13700 based OTA filter core. And indeed they sound identical to me when set up equivalently (LPF+HALF in Nyx routing to get two pole filtering).
Erebus V3 on the other hand uses a 2164 VCA based filter. So does the Lil' Erebus but I didn't check if the topology is the same as the Lil' doesn't have the HPF functionality.

dpad
Common Wiggler

Post by dpad » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm

How is the build quality on the Erebus and Nyx updates? Are the pots mounted to panels? Nyx v.1 was well built. These look like a step down with nothing bolted to the panel.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:52 am

dpad wrote:How is the build quality on the Erebus and Nyx updates? Are the pots mounted to panels? Nyx v.1 was well built. These look like a step down with nothing bolted to the panel.
In what regard? That there is far more functionality for the same price as one of the best sounding duos on the market? It’s obviously a trade off and always will be.

It’s very well built. The pots feel more solid than my OB-6 regardless of the technology used to mount and longevity of their functionality before a repair is needed. The physical pots are heavier, denser, and have a smooth yet heftier rotation than the OB. The selectors feel like you’re turning a lock into place. I’ll update this post in 40 years though, I’m not really into fully modular stuff so this isn’t something I have the luxury of concerning myself over. Step down to the critics and collectors, step up to the musicians? Going for an objective answer here, at least it wasn’t made by underpaid workers :) (I did say "going for")

For now I use it to make music, which, I know, is super strange and spooooky :bananaguitar:

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 pm

The pots seem to be mounted firmly enough, but indeed not panel mounted. The PCB carrying them is mounted and supported very well though. Especially around the patchbay.
It seems to me when comparing the old and new versions that they made some reasonable compromises that allowed reducing the price while adding features. Mainly that there is essentially no trimming required (thanks to autotuning) and by not panel mounting the controls. Both of which will reduce the time required to assemble an unit significantly I imagine.
Apart from that the new cases are pretty heavy construction. From what I can tell the bottom U shaped part is steel and the top is a 3mm aluminium panel.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:39 pm

jakobprogsch wrote:The pots seem to be mounted firmly enough, but indeed not panel mounted. The PCB carrying them is mounted and supported very well though. Especially around the patchbay.
It seems to me when comparing the old and new versions that they made some reasonable compromises that allowed reducing the price while adding features. Mainly that there is essentially no trimming required (thanks to autotuning) and by not panel mounting the controls. Both of which will reduce the time required to assemble an unit significantly I imagine.
Apart from that the new cases are pretty heavy construction. From what I can tell the bottom U shaped part is steel and the top is a 3mm aluminium panel.
The synth is also barely an inch thick, so there's not a lot of vertical give I'd assume even if it wasn't secured fully. I haven't opened it up but I would like to see the inside, maybe tomorrow, only 6 screws on top.

Also, is everyone getting their housings manufactured from the same place? I've seen tiny, hexagonal imprints on a few different company's products, Elektron being the previous, I know for sure on every product I've had from them in recent batches (they're all gone). After doing an inspection of the Dreadbox I have two imprints on the bottom, basically invisible unless the light comes from an angle. They're just small hexagons, no effect on the synth but it's weird, and only on the bottoms. I recall one other company but it doesn't come to mind. I did email Elektron about it months ago and they said it doesn't warrant any concern and is just a flaw during manufacturing the housing. I haven't had many synths since Elektron so I haven't particularly been checking for those pesky hexagons.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 am

Birth_Chord wrote: Also, is everyone getting their housings manufactured from the same place? I've seen tiny, hexagonal imprints on a few different company's products, Elektron being the previous, I know for sure on every product I've had from them in recent batches (they're all gone).
That's probably just a common manufacturing technique? Those imprints correspond to metal standoffs on the inside of the case.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:10 am

Yeah, I 've seen those hexagonal imprints on a few machines. At first my OCD was bothered but now I think "well, it's better than a plastic enclosure!".

I hope Dreadbox will eventually make a desktop monosynth with patch memory that is better and cheaper than the Medusa. No need for pad grid or sequencer, just full MIDI control...

SweetNuthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SweetNuthin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:12 am

pmboos wrote:My hope right now is that they will come out with an Abyss v2. It already had oodles of effects on it. It would be awesome if they found a way to add more modulation capabilities and/or patch points. Perhaps they can go with teh same manufacturing as the Erebus v3 and reduce the cost.
as a very early adopter of the Abyss (i have one of the very 1st batch), in a V2 i would love to have a true second oscillator, 6 voices and stereo out

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:04 am

jakobprogsch wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote: Also, is everyone getting their housings manufactured from the same place? I've seen tiny, hexagonal imprints on a few different company's products, Elektron being the previous, I know for sure on every product I've had from them in recent batches (they're all gone).
That's probably just a common manufacturing technique? Those imprints correspond to metal standoffs on the inside of the case.
Why would the imprints be concave when viewed from the outside then? This isn’t the thread for this really but... here we are.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zaphod betamax » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

So, with the Abyss discontinued, it looks like they didn't make anymore than
500 (estimate by me) worldwide. I have 2 of these. I will be holding onto both!

Edit: I doubt that a Version 2 of the Abyss will be made. A fellow YTer mentioned that Yainnis had oodles of issues with the Abyss, and will not
be making another poly for a while.
jakobprogsch wrote:It has moved into the discontinued section. I really like using the Abyss with the Hypnosis. Which is a bit awkward since it obsoletes most of the Abyss effects section.
Last edited by zaphod betamax on Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 pm

Birth_Chord wrote: Why would the imprints be concave when viewed from the outside then? This isn’t the thread for this really but... here we are.
Some googling led me here:

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:09 pm

RIP hexagon free housings.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:40 pm

zaphod betamax wrote:So, with the Abyss discontinued, it looks like they didn't make anymore than
500 (estimate by me) worldwide. I have 2 of these. I will be holding onto both!

Edit: I doubt that a Version 2 of the Abyss will be made. A fellow YTer mentioned that Yainnis had oodles of issues with the Abyss, and will not
be making another poly for a while.
That is a bummer. But I guess with issues and sales not being perhaps as high as desired.

I thought the Abyss sounded spectacular. I hope he reconsiders...
---

Return to “General Gear”