Dreadbox Erebus 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:09 pm

zaphod betamax wrote:So, with the Abyss discontinued, it looks like they didn't make anymore than
500 (estimate by me) worldwide.
How did you come up with that estimate. (I have no idea one way or another, so I'm just curious what you are basing it on.)

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Does anyone here have played with the Nyx v2 and a Minibrute 2(s) and could tell me how their sound compare to each other?

I've heard great things from Dreadbox synths but I have tons of reverb pedals and some modules and Minibrute 2 seems a better deal for me because of the features and price.

Tumulte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tumulte » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 am

guigui wrote:Does anyone here have played with the Nyx v2 and a Minibrute 2(s) and could tell me how their sound compare to each other?

I've heard great things from Dreadbox synths but I have tons of reverb pedals and some modules and Minibrute 2 seems a better deal for me because of the features and price.
These are two very different synth ! If you need a sequencer, the 2s is one of the best out there.

However, I personally prefer the "dreadbox sound". I'd suggest you to check out the Erebus V3 which has the same oscilloscopes but more interesting patchpoint (IMHO) and a delay instead of a reverb

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:45 am

The Dreadbox smokes the Arturia for sound.
Arturia gear always "seems like a better deal"!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am

Hey, stupid question..

I have a brand new v3 here, but I am worried the filter is faulty. The manual says it should start to self-oscillate at the three o'clock position or so. However, on mine, it seems to be audible much earlier.

For example, with no patch cables attached and filter fully in LP mode, cutoff around 1 o'clock, it's a noticeable high overtone at around 1 o'clock on resonance; often louder than the the actual note being played. This feels pretty aggressive to me. Admittedly my experience of non-software filters is limited to things like my Juno 106 and various 303 clones or the filter banks in Allen and Heath mixers. I really don't know if it's faulty, or I am being a dumbass?

(Admittedly the "louder than" might be to do with perceptual stuff, the ol' equal loudness curves for frequency response...)

waveplant
Common Wiggler

Post by waveplant » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 am

I know the resonance on the Erebus if not most (all?) of the Dreadbox synths is "pre-fed" meaning there is resonance even at no resonance settings. Is this what you're experiencing?

I'm not exactly sure of the reasons behind this decision, though it is responsible for the character of the Erebus. Personally, I'd love the option to have no resonance.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:03 am

That could well be what I am experiencing, thanks. Needs more twiddling and RTFMing, clearly. I may well be oversensitive due to new toy syndrome.

It's amusing that it feels more unruly than my little TD-3 at times.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Re: CV tracking problems

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:18 am

windchill wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm
I've discovered that although it's absolutely fine via midi my erebus 3 does not track cv properly at all. The different oscillators do not stay in tune with each other when using the global cv or their own cv inputs. They go out of tune at various pitches and do not track consistently.
The problem is bad enough to render it pretty much unusable via cv - either from my Eurorack or from the cv outputs of my Keystep. I've tried with auto-tuning both on and off but it doesn't make any difference.

[EDIT] I checked with Dreadbox and apparently this is normal. The CV inputs are really for modulation rather than full-on pitch tracking and the results will be inconsistent. The manual does recommend MIDI rather than CV but I didn't realise that it was quite that important. As it stands it can't be used with my Eurorack sequencers.

This is rather irritating as i am about to get one exactly with the idea of building a setup around it to fire 3 notes via CV.
Is this a real issue or more a slight micro detuning?

How hard would that resistor mod be?

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Dreadbox Erebus 3

Post by pmboos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 am

I seem to remember a chip swap being mentioned, but I think that was a MIDI fix, anyone remember what it was to fix?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 am

pmboos wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 am
I seem to remember a chip swap being mentioned, but I think that was a MIDI fix, anyone remember what it was to fix?
Wasn't there some issue with the MIDI ground when going MIDI thru? Not sure if that was ever fixed, mind. I don't normally use enough MIDI for it to become a problem, I suspect. My v3 works nicely and sounds surprisingly great.

Faint memories of weirdness with octave switching being fixed with a firmware update, though- for units below about no. 400.

Edit:

This might shed some light:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... st14040034
About the midi through issue, we have a hardware solution, please check the attached document. If you are not sure that you can do all the above, let me know and I will have my distributor in the states to help you with that.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks - yeah that jogged my memory. I went out and bought a replacement chip, just couldn't remember why or where the info was!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 am

Anybody with experience and opinion about playing erebus 3 nyx 2 with CV, works just fine or problemtic?

Also, i dont think so, but is there a chance to put out Midi from CV like the minitaur could do (CV to Midi converting)?

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:12 am

Hththt wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 am
Anybody with experience and opinion about playing erebus 3 nyx 2 with CV, works just fine or problemtic?

Also, i dont think so, but is there a chance to put out Midi from CV like the minitaur could do (CV to Midi converting)?
Just got an Erebus v3 and it's a beautiful instrument. The oscillators are controllable via CV just fine (though the glide control has no effect when using CV to control oscillator pitch), and you can even control each oscillator separately if you like. The filter isn't quite v/oct. It does not do CV to MIDI but of course with the patchbay you could use it for MIDI to CV duties; note that some higher MIDI channels aren't individually selectable, see the manual for more details on that.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 am

Thanks mate!1 glad to hear!
The 3 individual osc via cv is a key element for me to go erebus over nyx first.

Soundwise and modulation wise still not sure wich i like more; i think they are really supposed to marry, mythology all the way.

Anybody with experience polychaining ERE / NYX ?

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 am

Oh another one,

Someone knows if its possible to get subharmonic Osc things going on the erebus or nyx?

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

Hththt wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 am
Oh another one,

Someone knows if its possible to get subharmonic Osc things going on the erebus or nyx?
Have no idea about the Nyx. For the Erebus, you get the benefits of ring modulators, no sub oscillators. Oscillator 3 can go at really low rates though (such that it can act as an LFO), so I guess you could have it act as a pseudo-suboscillator, but it wouldn't be based on automatically on Oscillator 1 or 2.

Hope that helps...

Paul
---

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm

What i rather meant was the frequency dependant chord like subharmonics wich some synths can do, obviously the subharmonicum being the best example. The 0-coast can do that with trickery too and i am not educated enough to understand if the erebus patchpoints allow for sth like that

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Hththt wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm
What i rather meant was the frequency dependant chord like subharmonics wich some synths can do, obviously the subharmonicum being the best example. The 0-coast can do that with trickery too and i am not educated enough to understand if the erebus patchpoints allow for sth like that
Well there is a VCA that inverts; so if you ran the CV output (#6 in the manual) and then inverted it so that it was going negative (in and then out-), then I think you could run it into a different input (say CV2 for Oscillator 2) to do this. I'm just starting to get the hang of attenuverters and such, so I may be misunderstanding this.
---

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by witchonhorseback » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am

guigui wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Does anyone here have played with the Nyx v2 and a Minibrute 2(s) and could tell me how their sound compare to each other?

I didn't have a Nyx, but did have an Erebus v3, and ended up returning it and getting the Minibrute 2. My Erebus had problems—pretty much constant electronic background interference and weird, insurmountable tuning issues. I also found the build quality a little lacking. I did love the sound of the synth, though, and appreciated the built-in lo-fi delay. Minibrute 2 is stable, well-made, quiet, and surprisingly weird. I also ended up getting the 6U Rackbrute and love this system—fold it and go.

LasseTurunen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LasseTurunen » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi!

When controlling Erebus 3 via midi, what is the pitch bend amount? Is it adjustable somehow?

I used to have the Volca Bass, and there you only have 2 semitones of pitch bend. I like to have a full octave, that’s just the way I play. On Moog Sub Phatty you can adjust it, and that’s great.

Super interested in the Erebus or NYX for their sound, but having no control over pitch bend amount could be a deal breaker :)

windchill
Common Wiggler

Post by windchill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:20 pm

Hththt wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 am
Thanks mate!1 glad to hear!
The 3 individual osc via cv is a key element for me to go erebus over nyx first.
I strongly recommend that you check that the cv tracking meets your needs, as my Erebus3 most definitely did not track pitch accurately over CV, and dreadbox confirmed that it would not necessarily be expected to do do. I don't know if brandnewmath was simply lucky or perhaps tested the tracking in a scenario where the issues were less likely to show up. YMMV.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by IR » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:18 am

Tumulte wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 am
guigui wrote:Does anyone here have played with the Nyx v2 and a Minibrute 2(s) and could tell me how their sound compare to each other?

These are two very different synth ! If you need a sequencer, the 2s is one of the best out there.

However, I personally prefer the "dreadbox sound". I'd suggest you to check out the Erebus V3 which has the same oscilloscopes but more interesting patchpoint (IMHO) and a delay instead of a reverb
:eyes:
I know you meant oscillators, but now I have a weird picture in my mind of them having several oscilloscopes on those models, which I know they don't.

Return to “General Gear”