Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Post by flx » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Thank you! Here’s a first jam session video with the LD3:

Using some sounds from my own sample collection as well as built-in synths, together with a bunch of nicely deforming insert effects :miley: The morph feature is incredibly fun too for performing! Can’t believe how much one can get out of just those two morph layers :woah:
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:21 pm

wonderful! :sb: :goo:

Very much enjoyed that. Solid groove to the jam :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:45 am

flx wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:24 pm
Thank you! Here’s a first jam session video with the LD3:

Using some sounds from my own sample collection as well as built-in synths, together with a bunch of nicely deforming insert effects :miley: The morph feature is incredibly fun too for performing! Can’t believe how much one can get out of just those two morph layers :woah:
I LOVE THIS TRACK!!! Really, really good! Thanks so much for making it and for sharing!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks! Here’s a video blog I made about the LD3 today, telling my viewers what is is and how it works.

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:35 am

flx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm
Thanks! Here’s a video blog I made about the LD3 today, telling my viewers what is is and how it works.

Really nice walk through! Thanks so much for making this!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Aaaand another jam session, only with the internal synths and effects:

I also kind of have a feature request for the sequence morph functionality. It seems as if the LD3 uses all sequencer notes to create a morphing result, not just the notes with active gates. So when I record some MIDI notes onto both Layer A and B note tracks, for example A1, G1 and E1, then there will be the default trigger (C4) notes in between on the inactive steps. When I turn the sequence morph knob now, the morphed sequence will play those C4 notes, even though they're not part of the composition. Would it be possible to have an option to the only morph between notes with active gates?
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 am

flx wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm
Aaaand another jam session, only with the internal synths and effects:

I also kind of have a feature request for the sequence morph functionality. It seems as if the LD3 uses all sequencer notes to create a morphing result, not just the notes with active gates. So when I record some MIDI notes onto both Layer A and B note tracks, for example A1, G1 and E1, then there will be the default trigger (C4) notes in between on the inactive steps. When I turn the sequence morph knob now, the morphed sequence will play those C4 notes, even though they're not part of the composition. Would it be possible to have an option to the only morph between notes with active gates?
Thank you very much for making this video too! I really like your video's!

It will only use steps that are active on either layer A or layer B, when doing sequencer morphing. So this issue appears, when you have some steps on in one layer, that are not on in the other layer. I will have a look at adding some function, that can prevent this. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Until then, you can prevent it, by programming all note steps in both layers, with a note value.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm

gotharman wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 am
It will only use steps that are active on either layer A or layer B, when doing sequencer morphing. So this issue appears, when you have some steps on in one layer, that are not on in the other layer. I will have a look at adding some function, that can prevent this. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Until then, you can prevent it, by programming all note steps in both layers, with a note value.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification :tu:

Here’s another video, inspired by a YouTube comment I received:

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 am

Loving these videos flx, great work!

@Flemming, have you ever considered making a gotharman flavored vocoder effect for LD3?

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am

flx wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm
gotharman wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 am
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification :tu:

Here’s another video, inspired by a YouTube comment I received:

Yet another great video :sb:

Thank you so very much for doing this! Your video's are really great, and I am really learning something!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am

Modulus wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 am

@Flemming, have you ever considered making a gotharman flavored vocoder effect for LD3?
Yes, I have considered making a vocoder effect, but i have not arrived there yet. Maybe in the future.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

gotharman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am
Modulus wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 am

Yes, I have considered making a vocoder effect, but i have not arrived there yet. Maybe in the future.
Thanks for the reply and the insight!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm

What I did today: LD3 sending its dry VCO audio through my Marienberg 5U modular filter, modulating it via the CV outputs and receiving the filtered audio back into the audio input for further processing :hihi: The flexibility of the LD3 is incredible! I also tried out live sampling/looping and holy cow ... the possibilities :love:

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 pm

flx wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm
What I did today: LD3 sending its dry VCO audio through my Marienberg 5U modular filter, modulating it via the CV outputs and receiving the filtered audio back into the audio input for further processing :hihi: The flexibility of the LD3 is incredible! I also tried out live sampling/looping and holy cow ... the possibilities :love:
awesome to see someone else really dig into this noiz weapon!
you have great informative vids!

i have been using it to do tons of CC sequencing to control a horde of video generators.

running into a Program Change problem.
not sure i'm using it correctly for what i am trying to do.

i am trying to sequence Program Changes in order to send a change to a video mixer to switch it's inputs.

i can do this with the Control area of the BeatStep Pro but can't get it to work with the LD3 at the moment.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 pm

I installed my 5U modular in my synth wardrobe today and had a quick test jam. Litte deFormer 3 playing drum samples and using its CV outputs (pitch, gate and random generator CV) to sequence the modular, which is patched into an analog FM and sawtooth drone configuration. The spring reverb tank and amp circuit is from Klangbau Köln.

These devices all play so nicely together :D

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am

Here's a quick live sampling / looping tutorial video for the Little deFormer 3:
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 pm

I have a question regarding the CV outs. I’ve programmed a note track to sequence an internal LD3 synth and now I would like to add an oscillator from my modular synth to the mix. So the modular VCO should simply play the same melody as the internal synth. I set the CV OUT source to keyboard, but no matter how I set the kybd modulation amount or CV value, the CV is not making my 1V/Oct VCO play in tune with the LD3 synth. Even inside one octave the notes are completely off. What am I missing here?

EDIT: The manual just explains sequencing pitch CV with Controller Tracks, which I find a bit odd, hence my post here. Using Controller Tracks for pitch CV would mean I would have to program my pitch sequence twice, once for the internal synth on a note track and once for my external VCO on a separate controller track. I also don’t think that I can record notes onto a Controller Track with the on-screen keyboard or a MIDI keyboard :hmm:

EDIT 2: I just searched this thread and found that it is apparently indeed not possible to sequence pitch CV from note tracks properly, i.e. with 1V/Oct :confused: Guess I’ll use an external MIDI-CV converter box then. The Controller Track workaround seems a bit too complicated at the moment and I have a MIDI-CV converter here anyway.

Now the “other-way-around” question: Can I send an LD3 LFO or Random Generator directly to a certain MIDI CC value to convert that to CV with my external MIDI-CV box? :mrgreen:
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 am

flx wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 pm
I installed my 5U modular in my synth wardrobe today and had a quick test jam. Litte deFormer 3 playing drum samples and using its CV outputs (pitch, gate and random generator CV) to sequence the modular, which is patched into an analog FM and sawtooth drone configuration. The spring reverb tank and amp circuit is from Klangbau Köln.

These devices all play so nicely together :D

This really sounds good! Thanks so much for making another great video!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 am

flx wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am
Here's a quick live sampling / looping tutorial video for the Little deFormer 3:
And thanks so much for making this video too! I really appreciate your work!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 am

flx wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:51 pm
I have a question regarding the CV outs. I’ve programmed a note track to sequence an internal LD3 synth and now I would like to add an oscillator from my modular synth to the mix. So the modular VCO should simply play the same melody as the internal synth. I set the CV OUT source to keyboard, but no matter how I set the kybd modulation amount or CV value, the CV is not making my 1V/Oct VCO play in tune with the LD3 synth. Even inside one octave the notes are completely off. What am I missing here?

EDIT: The manual just explains sequencing pitch CV with Controller Tracks, which I find a bit odd, hence my post here. Using Controller Tracks for pitch CV would mean I would have to program my pitch sequence twice, once for the internal synth on a note track and once for my external VCO on a separate controller track. I also don’t think that I can record notes onto a Controller Track with the on-screen keyboard or a MIDI keyboard :hmm:

EDIT 2: I just searched this thread and found that it is apparently indeed not possible to sequence pitch CV from note tracks properly, i.e. with 1V/Oct :confused: Guess I’ll use an external MIDI-CV converter box then. The Controller Track workaround seems a bit too complicated at the moment and I have a MIDI-CV converter here anyway.

Now the “other-way-around” question: Can I send an LD3 LFO or Random Generator directly to a certain MIDI CC value to convert that to CV with my external MIDI-CV box? :mrgreen:
Now when you mention it, I can surely see, why it might look a bit odd, that the controller tracks can be quantized to 1v/oct for CV sequencing, instead of the note tracks.

It was made like this, simply because the LD3 note range follows the MIDI standard, and has a note range of 128 notes. This is a little more than 10 octaves. If the CV outputs should be able to follow the note tracks, it would need to output a voltage from 0 to a little more than 10 volts.
But the CV output range is only 0 to 5 volts, so this would not be possible.
Therefore the CV quantization was placed on the controller tracks instead.

LD3 can't send LFO's or Random Generators as MIDI CC's, but it can output these via the CV's.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks! I already thought that it might have to do with the 5V output. Personally, I wouldn’t mind if the pitch CV just cut off after 5V, but I also read here that there have been attempts to fund this feature development without success already, so it looks as if not many people need this functionality.

I made a YouTube playlist by the way, where I will put all my Gotharman videos, so that they’re easy to find:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... lp_KCuL7Rg

Still very happy with this box :)
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 am

I have an idea regarding the audio track sample names. Could we add the BPM to the name? Right now it’s A58_05_AUDIOTRAK, so bank, preset, part and AUDIOTRAK. Using the same amount of characters but with 120 bpm added:

A58_120_05_AUDIO ... or _ATRCK ... or _AUREC :D
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:48 am

flx wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 am
I have an idea regarding the audio track sample names. Could we add the BPM to the name? Right now it’s A58_05_AUDIOTRAK, so bank, preset, part and AUDIOTRAK. Using the same amount of characters but with 120 bpm added:

A58_120_05_AUDIO ... or _ATRCK ... or _AUREC :D
That is a really great idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I will have a look at this for the next update.

I have actually been arranging my audio track samplings in folders, where I included the BPM in the folder name :hihi: Why didn't I think about this :doh:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 am

Hey, so I‘m still having tremendous issues using the CV outputs for 1V/Oct pitch sequencing. I tried it with a quantized Controller Track now, but even when set to 1V or 1VS it just doesn‘t work well at all. Could somebody maybe tell me the exact CVout settings? I feel really stupid, but I‘m banging my head against this for an hour now and can‘t even get one semitone step to sound correctly. I‘ve tried two different oscillators.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Using the 1V setting and checking it using a voltmeter I seem to be getting around .5v/oct (weird). With 1Vs I can get it tracking accurately at 1v/oct but I have to adjust the QaSCL (on the TMP page of the seq control track) amount a little bit like +20 or so.

Anyway yes it does work here across multiple octaves.

I tend to use the CV ins and outs more for clocking/lfo duties but I have used it to sequence external gear.

I concur it would have been nice to have the CV out quantized and linked to the sequencer note page but I believe it was not trivial to program so the sequencer track work around was put in instead.

Here it is happily sequencing a tonestar 8106 in c minor over several octaves.

Return to “General Gear”