Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Post by cscairney » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:57 pm

gotharman wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 am
flx wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am
Here's a quick live sampling / looping tutorial video for the Little deFormer 3:
And thanks so much for making this video too! I really appreciate your work!
:hail: your videos are awesome! and it is great to watch someone else's workflow on the LD3. Still trying to spend time with mine and get around to making some sequencing videos.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 am

rayce wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm
Using the 1V setting and checking it using a voltmeter I seem to be getting around .5v/oct (weird). With 1Vs I can get it tracking accurately at 1v/oct but I have to adjust the QaSCL (on the TMP page of the seq control track) amount a little bit like +20 or so.

Anyway yes it does work here across multiple octaves.

I tend to use the CV ins and outs more for clocking/lfo duties but I have used it to sequence external gear.

I concur it would have been nice to have the CV out quantized and linked to the sequencer note page but I believe it was not trivial to program so the sequencer track work around was put in instead.

Here it is happily sequencing a tonestar 8106 in c minor over several octaves.

Thank you very much for making the video and for helping out with this.

Just wanted to point out, that when it is quantizing, and not in the "s" modes, it just quantizes whatever value to fit into 1v/oct. So since the controller tracks has 128 values, divided up in 5 volts (5 octaves), you will have to adjust it around 2 value steps, to make it jump 1 note. This is why it seems like that it has 0.5 volts per octave. The quantizing does though still jump 1 note, every time it jumps.

And this was why the "s" options were made...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 am

Thanks for the replies. I’ll try it again, although I think I already tried both 1V and 1VS modes with the note grid an they didn’t work. Though I didn’t measure with a multimeter for the correct QaScl value.

Can you please also tell me the correct CV OUT settings (in the MOR menu)?

Let’s say I want to use CV OUT 1 for 1V/Oct note sequencing.

On P_1 it seems like I have to set an Offset to make the outputs do anything. What’s the correct value here?

On P_2 I choose Seq1 as a source but what do I need to set the amount to?
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 am

flx wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 am
Thanks for the replies. I’ll try it again, although I think I already tried both 1V and 1VS modes with the note grid an they didn’t work. Though I didn’t measure with a multimeter for the correct QaScl value.

Can you please also tell me the correct CV OUT settings (in the MOR menu)?

Let’s say I want to use CV OUT 1 for 1V/Oct note sequencing.

On P_1 it seems like I have to set an Offset to make the outputs do anything. What’s the correct value here?

On P_2 I choose Seq1 as a source but what do I need to set the amount to?
On P_1 you should set the CV1 offset to 256.

On P_2 you should choose Seq1 as the source, as you suggest, and set the Amt to max value (511).

I hope that this helps.

You shall always be welcome to send me the preset you are working with in an email. Then I will check your settings.

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:45 pm

I forgot that was how the 1v and 1vs modes works! Should have remembered that. I was really happy when you added 1vs in as an option.

I think you will need to use a tuner to get the QaScale value correct for 1vs. I noticed using a voltmeter I needed approx -20 to get 1v/oct and when I plugged it into the Euro tonestar 8106 I had to bump it up to +20 suggesting there was some voltage droop when plugging the CV into another synth?

So I use a tuner and play a C from the LD3, Tune the VCO being pitched by the LD3 CV out to C and then have LD3's Sequencer play a C an octave above and see how close it is, either add a little QaScale or or subtract, then retune that low C to C again and see how close it is. Repeat a few times until its dialed in. I can get it tracking very accurately across at least 4 octaves.

Using a voltmeter helps though as it lets you know you're offset and max values aren't messing things up (such as putting the CV range too close to 0 or 5 volts) which could be a problem.

Let me know if this explanation helped or if you'd like a video demonstrating the process.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:49 am

Thank you! I already did the voltmeter measurements, but there’s something funny happening on my LD3, so I e-mailed Flemming.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 am

Starting to get more into sampling with the LD3. Here's a quick jam session, in which I play and deform a snippet from SPIKE the Percussionist's recent Drum Loop of the Day Instagram series:

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:50 am

flx wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 am
Starting to get more into sampling with the LD3. Here's a quick jam session, in which I play and deform a snippet from SPIKE the Percussionist's recent Drum Loop of the Day Instagram series:

Yet another really cool video! Thanks so much!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:00 am

EQ:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Great news! I’m still struggling with mixing on the LD3 sometimes, because sounds can get very crunchy and dominant quickly. EQs will be a great help there :)

In the meantime, does anybody have mixing tips? I try to keep my parts’ signals very low usually, but the sounds still tend to distort quickly (as per the character of the LD3) and get muddy, especially when played layered/polyphonically.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:24 pm

1 use bus level (not only vca level)
2 beward of leve entrie in the filter !!
3 use filter in serie for the frequence you d'ont need (one for the gritty and the follow for cleaning , some filter are better than other for that)
4 To muche pitch shiffting (via octav and fine tune parameter) on sample can add mannny aliasing, depend what you love
5 beward of feedback and deep setting specialy if you play it poly
optional but must have, separate output so sepparate process after ;)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:47 pm

meska wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:24 pm
1 use bus level (not only vca level)
2 beward of leve entrie in the filter !!
3 use filter in serie for the frequence you d'ont need (one for the gritty and the follow for cleaning , some filter are better than other for that)
4 To muche pitch shiffting (via octav and fine tune parameter) on sample can add mannny aliasing, depend what you love
5 beward of feedback and deep setting specialy if you play it poly
optional but must have, separate output so sepparate process after ;)
Awesome! Thank you! I especially hadn’t thought about 3 + 4 :tu:
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:58 pm

flx wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 am

Always so cool to see the noiz woven into new creations!

Especially with one of the coolest machines!
:party:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 am

So ive finally started diving into sequencing CC params from LD3 and yeah some really fun results manipulating my OTO effect boxes.

Some enhancements that I would like to see tho....the smooth parameter is great....but I wish there was a control for the rate of interpolation. RIght now its just a little too slow and wish I could speed up the transitions. Things become a bit too whoosy with it on especially controlling things like delay and reverb.

Also when sequencing using bars, I wish there was a master offset amount per sequencing track. When you assign a control track then it immediately sends out 0 Value...and to program this to be different is quite painstaking using the bars. I guess this is not just with CC.

Wondering what other users make of these functions.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

seeasound wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 am
So ive finally started diving into sequencing CC params from LD3 and yeah some really fun results manipulating my OTO effect boxes.

Some enhancements that I would like to see tho....the smooth parameter is great....but I wish there was a control for the rate of interpolation. RIght now its just a little too slow and wish I could speed up the transitions. Things become a bit too whoosy with it on especially controlling things like delay and reverb.

Also when sequencing using bars, I wish there was a master offset amount per sequencing track. When you assign a control track then it immediately sends out 0 Value...and to program this to be different is quite painstaking using the bars. I guess this is not just with CC.

Wondering what other users make of these functions.
To get the controller track smoothing become faster: Set the controller track to a higher resolution.

To set the controller track steps, to another value than zero, use the template (on the TMP page). Here you can set all values to middle, if you like.

It is hard for you, to switch bar, and then swipe your finger over the display, to set some values ? Then program 16 steps at a time...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 am

seeasound wrote:
I agree. I wouldn’t even need an additional offset parameter, but better transpose controls. I don’t find the current TMP transpose options very intuitive and would prefer to just dial in an absolute value and press a button to add or subtract that value from all bars, another button to add/subtract only from all green bars (so ones with a trigger assigned) and another button to overwrite that value on all bars.

Another thing I find fiddly is sequencing gate lengths. Oftentimes I just need gate lengths below 10, which are difficult to draw with a finger, but also tedious to enter with the eight front panel knobs.

EDIT: didn’t reload the page and missed Gotharman’s reply above.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:09 am

flx wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 am
seeasound wrote:
I agree. I wouldn’t even need an additional offset parameter, but better transpose controls. I don’t find the current TMP transpose options intuitive at all and would prefer to just dial in an absolute value and press a button to add or subtract that value from all bars, another button to add/subtract only from all green bars (so ones with a trigger assigned) and another button to overwrite that value on all bars.

Another thing I find fiddly is sequencing gate lengths. Oftentimes I just need gate lengths below 10, which are difficult to draw with a finger, but also tedious to enter with the eight front panel knobs.

EDIT: didn’t reload the page and missed Gotharman’s reply above.
As far as I understood, Seeasound was referring to the controller tracks, but maybe I misunderstood.

To transpose notes fast, you have transpose parameters on the note track MOD page, and on the Zone page.

I can see what you mean regarding the gate times, but sometimes you need short gate times, and sometimes you need long gate times. The interface on LD3 makes both possible, and I don't think that I could have made it in a different way. I usually adjust gate times with the knobs.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am

Oh right, that’s true, he was talking about controller tracks. However, it wouldn’t make a difference if one is using note tracks or controller tracks. Having an absolute value and add/subtract on the TMP page (instead of a percentage and Zero, Middle and Full) would be more intuitive I think. With that one could also set all gates to a fixed number like 8 or 3 or something else than 5.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:25 am

flx wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am
Oh right, that’s true, he was talking about controller tracks. However, it wouldn’t make a difference if one is using note tracks or controller tracks. Having an absolute value and add/subtract on the TMP page (instead of a percentage and Zero, Middle and Full) would be more intuitive I think. With that one could also set all gates to a fixed number like 8 or 3 or something else than 5.
Hmmm…. I can see that. I will have a look at it...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:45 am

That reminds me! I also have a very important feature request :mrgreen:

Could you add modulation options to the C.P. page and then add a button to the main menu screen (the one with the big keyboard and preset and edit buttons) that just displays one C.P. color over the whole screen until the user touches the display again? Like this we would have a light show on the display modulated by our sequences :rastanana:

Default C.P. color without modulation could be green then, so we could use the display as a green screen when video editing :goo:
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 am

flx wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:45 am
That reminds me! I also have a very important feature request :mrgreen:

Could you add modulation options to the C.P. page and then add a button to the main menu screen (the one with the big keyboard and preset and edit buttons) that just displays one C.P. color over the whole screen until the user touches the display again? Like this we would have a light show on the display modulated by our sequences :rastanana:

Default C.P. color without modulation could be green then, so we could use the display as a green screen when video editing :goo:
Thank you very much for suggesting this! I agree! This is more important than the oscillators!

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Ah thx flemming ill have a play around with scale settings and templates

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 am

Here's a tutorial video for sampling, sample editing and chopping, as well as chop sequencing on the Little deFormer 3:

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:28 am

flx wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 am
Here's a tutorial video for sampling, sample editing and chopping, as well as chop sequencing on the Little deFormer 3:

Thank you very much for making this! Awesome video!!!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm

I‘ve got question: Is there a way to achieve a side chaining effect? I was thinking it could maybe be done using the bus followers, but I can‘t really find a way to do it.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Return to “General Gear”