Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Post by meska » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:06 pm

flx wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm
I‘ve got question: Is there a way to achieve a side chaining effect? I was thinking it could maybe be done using the bus followers, but I can‘t really find a way to do it.
tricky but you can :
first you need you kick comme in a inpute, but the realeas paramter for the buss at 0!( use another machine for the kick is more simple , if you whant to use one LD3 voice , you need to do somthing more i will explaine if you whant)
go to your bus to side chain , assigne compressor fx(remenber they are send fx if you use an other for the samed buss half of the sound will not be side chained)
compresoor parameter : mix 512 compresion starrt +- 250) offset 0 gain (as you need) time and rate start at 0

in the mudulation page1 compresion parameter: mudaltion source : use fLW(and the number of the kick input bus) strat at 511 for radical affect

note: the gain and the level of the kick bus somthime need some adjustement for perfect side chain; and it's juste a start ;)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm

flx wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 am
Here's a tutorial video for sampling, sample editing and chopping, as well as chop sequencing on the Little deFormer 3:

VERY informative as always!!!
:party:
Thanks for the tag!!!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 am

Thank you, everyone! :) Really happy that you like the videos!

Regarding the side chaining, I found another solution for me with an internal sound as a source:
I put my kick on Part 1 & Bus 1 and all other Parts on Bus 2. Then I add the Compressor insert FX to Bus 2 and turn every FX setting to 0, so that when I mix it to 100% it actually silences the whole Bus 2 signal. Now I just modulate the FX Mix with Part 1's Envelope 1 or 2. So when the kick sound envelope is high, it turns up the silence mix on Bus 2. This is very easy to set up and adjust.

Alright, now another question:
I've been experimenting with FM sounds, but I can't seem to get those nice and smooth bell sounds. The FM is either hardly noticeable on OSC Type 1 or way too heavy on OSC Type 2. Maybe that's just the character of the deFormer though, since it tends to be rough and dirty. I set up FM like I would with a modular synth. So Part 1 on Bus 1 is what I hear, for example a sine wave, which takes the FM signal from FMbus 2. On Part 2 & Bus 2 I have another sine wave VCO then, which is detuned and triggered by Part 1, or by its own sequencer.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:11 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 am
Thank you, everyone! :) Really happy that you like the videos!

Regarding the side chaining, I found another solution for me with an internal sound as a source:
I put my kick on Part 1 & Bus 1 and all other Parts on Bus 2. Then I add the Compressor insert FX to Bus 2 and turn every FX setting to 0, so that when I mix it to 100% it actually silences the whole Bus 2 signal. Now I just modulate the FX Mix with Part 1's Envelope 1 or 2. So when the kick sound envelope is high, it turns up the silence mix on Bus 2. This is very easy to set up and adjust.

Alright, now another question:
I've been experimenting with FM sounds, but I can't seem to get those nice and smooth bell sounds. The FM is either hardly noticeable on OSC Type 1 or way too heavy on OSC Type 2. Maybe that's just the character of the deFormer though, since it tends to be rough and dirty. I set up FM like I would with a modular synth. So Part 1 on Bus 1 is what I hear, for example a sine wave, which takes the FM signal from FMbus 2. On Part 2 & Bus 2 I have another sine wave VCO then, which is detuned and triggered by Part 1, or by its own sequencer.
yes it work but you don't use you'r kick amplitude for side chain but an envelope , use the kick amplitude, is better in my opignion, but in fact depend on you'r taste ;) you can do that with an internal kick by sacrifice a voice (output the kick you whant on output 3 for exemple and routing the ouput to an new impoue 1 for exemple of the ld3 (via jack cable ^^) and you can now make the release time of the envelop of the bue 1 folower to 0 so the news inpute of the kick have the envelop folow foloww perfectly the amplitute of the kick and use this amplitude (FLW1) to modulate the compresssion parameter!

yes fm on LD3 i durty ^^but you can FM sample and it's fucking awesome ^^
try to fm you'r main melodi by you'r kick or somthing like that; it can sound crazy ! ;)
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:24 am

Thanks for the clarification, meska :tu:

Here's another jam session music video. This time I'm playing drones without any sequencer involved.

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Played with the LD3 for over five hours today and my brain is properly deformed now :w00t: What a fun device!!!

Got a few ideas that might improve usability now, of course :razz:

1. Could we get the color scheme from the Note Value Bars on the Note Grid too? Meaning active trigger note rectangles on the grid are green, while ones without triggers are yellow.

2. Could there be some kind of indicator color for bipolar modulation? I have trouble understanding which sources and targets act bipolar. For example when I want to modulate the Mix parameter on an INSERT EFX with an Envelope, I have the feeling that I cannot go from Mix 0 to Mix 511 with the Envelope, but I can go the full range with an LFO. Is that true, or just some kind of odd perception thing in my brain? Maybe a bipolar source could have a red VU meter or something?

3. Could we get a visual indicator when we’re gaining a signal? For example the value could turn red once we go past attenuation into gain. It would make it easier in a complex patch to keep an eye on distortion. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out which sounds/parameters create distortion.

4. Aaaaand, I‘m constantly wondering if my LD3 is broken, only to find that a Morph Knob is slightly turned :doh: Could there be a visual indicator, telling us when we’re morphing? Maybe just a tiny red M in the corner of the screen if one or both of the morph knobs are above 0?
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:43 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:24 am
Thanks for the clarification, meska :tu:

Here's another jam session music video. This time I'm playing drones without any sequencer involved.

This thing really sounds good! Thanks so much for sharing!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:39 pm
Played with the LD3 for over five hours today and my brain is properly deformed now :w00t: What a fun device!!!

Got a few ideas that might improve usability now, of course :razz:

1. Could we get the color scheme from the Note Value Bars on the Note Grid too? Meaning active trigger note rectangles on the grid are green, while ones without triggers are yellow.

2. Could there be some kind of indicator color for bipolar modulation? I have trouble understanding which sources and targets act bipolar. For example when I want to modulate the Mix parameter on an INSERT EFX with an Envelope, I have the feeling that I cannot go from Mix 0 to Mix 511 with the Envelope, but I can go the full range with an LFO. Is that true, or just some kind of odd perception thing in my brain? Maybe a bipolar source could have a red VU meter or something?

3. Could we get a visual indicator when we’re gaining a signal? For example the value could turn red once we go past attenuation into gain. It would make it easier in a complex patch to keep an eye on distortion. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out which sounds/parameters create distortion.

4. Aaaaand, I‘m constantly wondering if my LD3 is broken, only to find that a Morph Knob is slightly turned :doh: Could there be a visual indicator, telling us when we’re morphing? Maybe just a tiny red M in the corner of the screen if one or both of the morph knobs are above 0?

Really great to hear, that you are enjoying your LD3 :sb:

And thank you very much for your suggestions. I will have a look at things.

If there are anybody else here, who feels that any of these features are important, please let me know here.
The more users, that needs a certain feature, the higher priority it will get.
Features that are suggested by only one or two users, is usually not added.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 am

my top requested features:

ratcheting
probability of gate
probability of note changing from previous value

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am

joey wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 am
my top requested features:

ratcheting
probability of gate
probability of note changing from previous value
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

If any other users would find these features useful, please don't hold it back.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:14 am

A little question for any TinyLD/LD3 users : Is there an easy way to delete all the factory presets & samples in order to start from scratch?

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am

Scories wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:14 am
A little question for any TinyLD/LD3 users : Is there an easy way to delete all the factory presets & samples in order to start from scratch?
Yes, in the EDIT -> MOR menu there are buttons to delete the four sample banks, as well as a button to delete all presets and songs.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:07 pm

flx wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am
Scories wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:14 am
Yes, in the EDIT -> MOR menu there are buttons to delete the four sample banks, as well as a button to delete all presets and songs.
Thank you so much! You're very helpful here. :tu:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm

New jam session. No samples this time, only the internal oscillators :) Really enjoying the drum oscillators and also creating bass sounds with the analog filters.

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 am

flx wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm
New jam session. No samples this time, only the internal oscillators :) Really enjoying the drum oscillators and also creating bass sounds with the analog filters.

I LOVE this!

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm

flx wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm

keeps inspiring me to use my LD3 noiz beast!
thanks!!!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:21 am

Thanks for the kind words! Really happy that you like the videos!

Since I will swap out a filter board in my LD3 soon, I made a short tutorial video on how to access the analog filters. I have an mkI enclosure, but it's very similar (and even easier) with the current mkII ones :)

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am

gotharman wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 am
Features that are suggested by only one or two users, is usually not added.

nodoby talk about auto chop sample in equal part of time? : like chop this sample in 4/8/16/32/64 chop
it will open a new dimention for the many things :D
nice vid flx as alway ;)
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 am

meska wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am
nodoby talk about auto chop sample in equal part of time? : like chop this sample in 4/8/16/32/64 chop
That‘s already possible, but it might not be documented in the manual. Simply set the chop mode from peak/wave to a number between 1 and 64 and it should create that amount of chop points with equal spacing.

Haven‘t tested in detail if Sens, Dec and Pre make a difference then, but I think they‘re disregarded entirely.

Adding 64 chop points:
061C3CF0-D90B-46AD-BE45-0EDCE1F65867.jpeg
081240C2-9D47-4D3A-ACC2-0659266B706B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am

flx wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:21 am
Thanks for the kind words! Really happy that you like the videos!

Since I will swap out a filter board in my LD3 soon, I made a short tutorial video on how to access the analog filters. I have an mkI enclosure, but it's very similar (and even easier) with the current mkII ones :)

Really nice tutorial. Thanks so much for making this!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 am

flx wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 am
meska wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am
That‘s already possible, but it might not be documented in the manual. Simply set the chop mode from peak/wave to a number between 1 and 64 and it should create that amount of chop points with equal spacing.

Haven‘t tested in detail if Sens, Dec and Pre make a difference then, but I think they‘re disregarded entirely.

Adding 64 chop points:
061C3CF0-D90B-46AD-BE45-0EDCE1F65867.jpeg
081240C2-9D47-4D3A-ACC2-0659266B706B.jpeg
It certainly looks like, that I have forgotten to add this information in the user manual. Sorry about that. Or maybe it's a hidden feature :hihi:

Really nice work, that you figured this out!

Bumply
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bumply » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Quick question. How do you accurately set up incoming, 1v/oct cv, to a part’s pitch? I’ve tried all kinds of things and I’m definitely a little lost here. Thanks for the help!
Outcheesed by the cheese

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 am

Here’s another granular drone jam using only oscillators and no samples:

Have a nice weekend, everybody!
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

zite909
Common Wiggler

Post by zite909 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:33 am

Im currently confined in France away from my LD3 (unfortunately). I really appreciate all the videos that have been posted in the forum lately. They show some nice aspect of the LD3. It gives some new ideas to test when I will have again access to my LD3 :)

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:12 pm

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:39 pm

This in particular would be a very nice feature to have :tu:

All the others suggested so far would be great too but I think this one is a big one for me. That and a Gotharman's Vocoder effect :evil:

Return to “General Gear”