Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Little deFormer 3

Post by flx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:43 am

Hey :) Does anybody have tips for using the VCF-8 SSI filter board? Any parameter sweet spots? Somehow the sound I get from it gets very quiet and thin quickly. Maybe I don’t understand it. I checked the manual and the website with the diagram and it doesn’t seem to be very complex, but I somehow don’t seem to be able to set it up in a way that ... uhm ... sounds interesting.

I’ve noticed that the HPFs actually sound like BPFs, meaning they kill the high frequencies too when dialing the cutoff down. So the HPF -> LPF signal chain doesn’t give the LPF much to work with, as the high freqs are already gone.

Also, the G-Ray settings are always doing something to the sound and I feel as if I get some waveform cancelling effects (or how that’s called when you add inverted waveforms together).

Phew ... not even sure what to ask for exactly :mrgreen: I’m just puzzled. Haha!
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:43 am
Hey :) Does anybody have tips for using the VCF-8 SSI filter board? Any parameter sweet spots? Somehow the sound I get from it gets very quiet and thin quickly. Maybe I don’t understand it. I checked the manual and the website with the diagram and it doesn’t seem to be very complex, but I somehow don’t seem to be able to set it up in a way that ... uhm ... sounds interesting.

I’ve noticed that the HPFs actually sound like BPFs, meaning they kill the high frequencies too when dialing the cutoff down. So the HPF -> LPF signal chain doesn’t give the LPF much to work with, as the high freqs are already gone.

Also, the G-Ray settings are always doing something to the sound and I feel as if I get some waveform cancelling effects (or how that’s called when you add inverted waveforms together).

Phew ... not even sure what to ask for exactly :mrgreen: I’m just puzzled. Haha!
There are one thing, that is a bit tricky with VCF8. The first filterboards I made, (VCF1 and VCF2) has sort a primary cutoff setting called Cut, and a secondary cutoff setting called peaks. It made sense to merge these two parameters, so that when adjusting cut, you were adjusting the both cutoff frequencies, but when adjusting peaks, you were only adjusting the second cutoff frequency as an offset to the first.

But since VCF8 has LPF's and HPF's instead of first and second cutoff's, it doesn't make sense here. So to switch this off, go to the second VCF page, called "RAY", and set the "Peaks" parameter to "Sepa". Now it will be much easier to get cool results from VCF8, since the cutoff frequencies for the HPF's and the LPF's will be separated.

Hope that this helps, and that you will have a lot of fun.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 am

gotharman wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 am
go to the second VCF page, called "RAY", and set the "Peaks" parameter to "Sepa". Now it will be much easier to get cool results from VCF8, since the cutoff frequencies for the HPF's and the LPF's will be separated.
Ah, yes! That improved it a lot! Thanks :tu: The RAY parameter is called LpCut though.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:11 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 am
gotharman wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 am
go to the second VCF page, called "RAY", and set the "Peaks" parameter to "Sepa". Now it will be much easier to get cool results from VCF8, since the cutoff frequencies for the HPF's and the LPF's will be separated.
Ah, yes! That improved it a lot! Thanks :tu: The RAY parameter is called LpCut though.
Ah yes, that's because I got VCF2 installed in my own LD3. Then it is called "Peaks" :hihi:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Here‘s a new jam session:

Part 3, the melody at the very beginning, is going through the VCF 8 Dual Band SSI Filter, which is modulated by stepped random generators, almost pinging the filter (which is possible too at higher resonances). Later at 1:34, I fade in a bass line, which is processed by the VCF 5 MiniProhpet Filter, which I think is great for these traditional uses, because it‘s very smooth and not destructive at all :)
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Great to see more people using gotharman gear, the ld3 is amazing, full of wonderful surprises. Also delighted this thing is still being developed, cheers to Flemming for high speed development and listening to the users :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm
Here‘s a new jam session:

Part 3, the melody at the very beginning, is going through the VCF 8 Dual Band SSI Filter, which is modulated by stepped random generators, almost pinging the filter (which is possible too at higher resonances). Later at 1:34, I fade in a bass line, which is processed by the VCF 5 MiniProhpet Filter, which I think is great for these traditional uses, because it‘s very smooth and not destructive at all :)
Really great track as usual. Thanks so much for sharing.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am

Fayette wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:22 pm
Great to see more people using gotharman gear, the ld3 is amazing, full of wonderful surprises. Also delighted this thing is still being developed, cheers to Flemming for high speed development and listening to the users :)
Thanks so much for appreciating my work!

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Wed May 06, 2020 2:28 am

man theres so many cool things coming for the deformer!
Was watching some of these videos and getting inspired

On a side note... I was remembering how much I love the double granulator effect on the ld2 ...you could get lost in that world for ages!! Would be awesome if it can make a comeback on the ld3 as a stereo output effect!

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Wed May 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Yes i agree!! Double granulator for ld3 would be amazing!!!

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 pm

...on the other hand its a good reason to keep the incredible LD2

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat May 09, 2020 1:42 am

Many times I have considered to port the DoublGran to the LD3 design.
I have really received many emails from LD2 users, that couldn't always get a sound through it, and from users who asked how it worked.
It was, sometimes, pretty hard to use. You could sit with it, sometimes for hours, without it putting out any sound at all. But when you tickled it enough, suddenly it would put out some sounds, that nobody have ever heard before, haha.
It is a really complex effect, and it is full of bugs. The bugs were never fixed, because these actually made it unique.
Many users were frustrated about it, and when they asked how it worked, that was a really hard question to answer.

To avoid a lot of emails from frustrated users, I decided to omit this from the new designs. But it did though really make LD2 unique. Maybe I should start to port it to LD3 ? Specifying clearly on my website, that it is DEFECTIVE :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Joakim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Joakim » Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 am

I still remember how it felt spending my first day with the LD2 trying to get any sound at all to come out of the DoubleGran. I say bring it back. :)

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Sun May 10, 2020 12:45 am

gotharman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:42 am
Maybe I should start to port it to LD3 ? Specifying clearly on my website, that it is DEFECTIVE :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
never heard this FX but i love the idea of DEFECTIVE one :hihi: :hihi:
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Sun May 10, 2020 4:25 am

I can only describe it as some kind of granular looper....at least thats how I was using it with the freeze button....make something cool happen...hit freeze and then tweak away till the cows come home for all sorts of crazy variations....It is very musical. However even when saving with the audio frozen I could never get the patch to recall predictably, which was my only issue with it.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sun May 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Plz put this effect in the LD3, I would love to use it

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 am

Joakim wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 am
I still remember how it felt spending my first day with the LD2 trying to get any sound at all to come out of the DoubleGran. I say bring it back. :)
Great to hear that it left you with some impression :) Yeah, I should probably bring it back :)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am

meska wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:45 am
gotharman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:42 am
Maybe I should start to port it to LD3 ? Specifying clearly on my website, that it is DEFECTIVE :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
never heard this FX but i love the idea of DEFECTIVE one :hihi: :hihi:
Defective goes quite well together with deFormer I guess…:)

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am

joey wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:26 pm
Plz put this effect in the LD3, I would love to use it
I will have a look at it...

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Double granulator is the deformer as far as I'm concerned! Still hope to join the new crew one day...

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Indeed, spelled like this : deFective

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed May 13, 2020 4:53 pm

this is my 100th YouTube broadcast of Late Night Noiz For Late Night Fiends!

i posted this in the videosynth thread with a lot more info but wanted to link a bit of info here since this shows the LD3 being used as controller.

editing and implementing the CC control tracks is so easy!

LD3 was sending clock to video modular rig, switching video channels on a V8, controlling an ETC and an Entrancer.

i wanted to do something a bit over the top so i tried putting together as many sources as i reasonably could at this point in time.

14 video sources.

noiz and control provided by:
- Little Deformer 3
- Nava Extra 9
- norns x3 - Cheat Codes, Time Party, NC-01-Drone WRLDS
- Dark Energy
- Double Knot V2

----

++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am

I was asked by a viewer to explain the Little deFormer 3's audio bus system, so I made a quick video walkthrough :)

This reminded me that I had wanted to ask for a setting in the BUS ENV menu that bypasses any bus volume modulation, so an option that keeps the Bus volume at the maximum (or at the BUS LEVEL value). Right now I can only select the bus' own follower envelope, a part envelope or follower x2 or x4. This means that there will always be some volume modulation when I want to use a bus follower. Or am I missing an option here?

Also, I think the touch screen button for BUS LEVELS should be called "Blv" and not "Flv", right?
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat May 16, 2020 4:53 am

seeasound wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:25 am
I can only describe it as some kind of granular looper....at least thats how I was using it with the freeze button....make something cool happen...hit freeze and then tweak away till the cows come home for all sorts of crazy variations....It is very musical. However even when saving with the audio frozen I could never get the patch to recall predictably, which was my only issue with it.
Thank you very much for this nice description. "Predictable" was certainly not a word, that would describe the DoublGran :hihi:

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat May 16, 2020 4:54 am

tIB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm
Double granulator is the deformer as far as I'm concerned! Still hope to join the new crew one day...
Great to see you here tIB! Thanks for your input. I hope that you will join the new crew too.

Return to “General Gear”