Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by seychmar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:10 am

Same here. Paid at the end of December. Nothing yet. And worst of all, no updates.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:05 am

Same here. I'm dead chill tho, the universe will deliver when it's ready.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks for letting me know we're still in the same boat. :-)

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Weird. I got the email requesting payment Dec 16, received the synth in January (shipped from Moskva to US) with no unexpected delays. Good luck my euro bros.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Yea i also received my email mid dec but they said end of jan into feb because they wanted to ship out as many uk orders as they could before brexit. but then after another email they said sometime feb/ march. i just emailed to ask if there was an update because i have to leave town for two weeks and want to know if i have to have someone receive mine but no response. Im not so worried im just giddy with excitement and feel bad for all the people who preordered from schneiders as it they wont receive theirs until soma preorders are filled which could take a while. Im imagining ill get tracking as soon as i leave town like when your at a restaurant and you go to the bathroom and your food comes when your gone.

platform
Common Wiggler

Post by platform » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:39 am

My latest update from Soma Europe is mid-late March as they have had to switch to larger manufacturing facilities. Mine will be a bit later than expected but hopefully it means that those further down the line will get theirs faster.

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 pm

I wish they’d actually update those who’ve paid...I am chill but my chill is running out a little given they have £2k of mine.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Same here. We've still not heard a thing. Really not cool.

Also, it's all too easy to slip to mid/late April from mid/late March and on and on. I still not understand the reason to pay full amount when the thing wasn't ready in the least. They could have asked 200 buck from everyone who pre-ordered and have the same amount for whatever they need it for.
Last edited by nodog on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

platform
Common Wiggler

Post by platform » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:43 pm

I have paid too.

Just email them if you get twitchy and they will get back to you with a date.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 pm

platform wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Just email them if you get twitchy and they will get back to you with a date.
I did and their date turned out to be bogus so what's there to feel fine about?

edit: sorry to be a bit grumpy about this and it looks like I'm reacting angry to you which isn't my intention!

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59 pm

In the end they're a small company making some really neat stuff. Ya' gotta be flexible on the times. To the best of my knowledge they've never screwed anyone over so I'm sure you can feel confident you'll get what ya' paid for. It's well worth the wait!

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm

one benefit of being farther down in the queue (mid 800's for me) is that you can take time to watch Vlad's videos, watch and listen to what early owners are doing with it, and then sit back and make a rational decision whether or not the Pulsar will fit in your work flow.

Sure, it's a great sounding instrument with a lot of new possibilities, but if you're going to have to radically alter how you make music or try to bend the Pulsar to fit into your current flow, it may not be the right thing for you, no matter how great it sounds.

My opinion is that SOMA makes great *instruments* and if you're willing to invest the time and energy to learn them and play them, it will be very rewarding. If you're simply going to sequence them or set up some static sounds, you might be disappointed that you're not getting the most out of it and/or decide to sell it.

Torus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Torus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 pm

I also got an email informing me of delays due to Soma EU moving to larger premises, with a shipping date of mid March.
I do find it a bit strange that they would ask for full payment if they knew the units were not ready to ship.
However, I guess it's now paid for and I can forget the money has been spent, instead of worrying about paying for it later.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:03 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm
My opinion is that SOMA makes great *instruments* and if you're willing to invest the time and energy to learn them and play them, it will be very rewarding.
It's a lot like the Lyra in that sense--it wants to be the center of attention in every way.

lionel
Common Wiggler

Post by lionel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 pm

They e-mailed me with courtesy and humor.
It’s a small company and I like that.
Yes, we can wait :tu:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:38 pm

oof. i have been hitting refresh every few hours and yelling COME ONNN MOSKVA because the last update was it was processed through that facility ten days ago.

now i feel like a butt being impatient.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
If you're simply going to sequence them or set up some static sounds, you might be disappointed...
I'm running into this problem. I use my P-23 as a drum sound module to provide the electronic kit of my dreams: full-range dynamic touch response when played with my Zendrum drum controller. I required the addition of a BomeBox because the P-23's MIDI velocity curve was not suitable (it's fine for external keyboards), and there's no way to adjust it. The P-23 makes a great electronic kit because it's not just Soma-fied kick, snare, and hat (with two open hat sounds by suppressing MIDI note off for those SD and HH), but also epic electronic toms when you put BASS on its own channel and switch it to PRC mode. By programming my Zendrum's triggers to different MIDI notes on BASS's channel, I get a wide variety of wacked-out tom-esque responses, giving my kit about 15 pieces.

So here's the problem: my P-23 has become relatively static because I don't want to change my beautiful electronic kit too much. If I undo the patch, I'll never get the mf back--yet I want to do the P-23-as-its-own-instrument thing, too. The only solution is to get in the back of the line for a second P-23. This is the definition of a First World problem.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:01 pm

behndy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:38 pm
oof. i have been hitting refresh every few hours and yelling COME ONNN MOSKVA because the last update was it was processed through that facility ten days ago.

I hear you, though mine hit JFK yesterday. :party:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:22 am

WEARING OUT THAT REFRESH BUTTON.

.... if. it was. like. an actual button?

lol. i'm in Cali, but a lot of Outside The US stuff hits JFK first. and hopefulllllly doesn't sit in customs very long.

pleaaaaase go through customs quick.

PLEASE.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 am

Quick little jam on the Pulsar-23 for EBM Day.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:59 am

behndy wrote:

If my experience is any guide, your next update will be that it's at JFK. Then it will show up at your door without warning.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:59 pm

lol. yeah. mirrors my experience.

i love how many amazing things are available now. and i feel like a douche complaining that shipping caan take 2-3 weeks from the other side of the world, when 50 years ago it was.... what? months? impossible?

but MAN it is hard to wait on Non US Shipped Loots.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

blipson wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm
oldgearguy wrote:
If you're simply going to sequence them or set up some static sounds, you might be disappointed...
I'm running into this problem. I use my P-23 as a drum sound module to provide the electronic kit of my dreams: full-range dynamic touch response when played with my Zendrum drum controller. I required the addition of a BomeBox because the P-23's MIDI velocity curve was not suitable (it's fine for external keyboards), and there's no way to adjust it. The P-23 makes a great electronic kit because it's not just Soma-fied kick, snare, and hat (with two open hat sounds by suppressing MIDI note off for those SD and HH), but also epic electronic toms when you put BASS on its own channel and switch it to PRC mode. By programming my Zendrum's triggers to different MIDI notes on BASS's channel, I get a wide variety of wacked-out tom-esque responses, giving my kit about 15 pieces.

So here's the problem: my P-23 has become relatively static because I don't want to change my beautiful electronic kit too much. If I undo the patch, I'll never get the mf back--yet I want to do the P-23-as-its-own-instrument thing, too. The only solution is to get in the back of the line for a second P-23. This is the definition of a First World problem.
Any chance of hearing some beats from said patch please sir? Particularly interested in the tom action. Feel I've only really heard toms in the initial video

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Bobby wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Any chance of hearing some beats from said patch please sir? Particularly interested in the tom action. Feel I've only really heard toms in the initial video
Sure, here are three quick demos, first of the kit pieces with dynamics, then a groove with toms, then the same groove with sustained BD instead of toms. I'm way out of practice, meaning it's too easy to lose the swing, so I've kept this improv simple and haven't demonstrated the dynamic range the way I'd like to. My controller had been in storage for years until recently, so I'm rusty as hell with no time to work to get my chops back, which is why you also hear a Pulsar-23 metronome.

Pulsar-23 kit pieces

Pulsar-23 as a drum kit, short groove #1

Pulsar-23 as a drum kit, short groove #2

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:58 am

electricanada wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:59 am
behndy wrote:

If my experience is any guide, your next update will be that it's at JFK. Then it will show up at your door without warning.
Hah! Mine showed up today, pity I wasn’t home to receive it. Will have to take my chances with the post office tomorrow.

Return to “General Gear”