Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

blipson wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 pm
Bobby wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Any chance of hearing some beats from said patch please sir? Particularly interested in the tom action. Feel I've only really heard toms in the initial video
Sure, here are three quick demos, first of the kit pieces with dynamics, then a groove with toms, then the same groove with sustained BD instead of toms. I'm way out of practice, meaning it's too easy to lose the swing, so I've kept this improv simple and haven't demonstrated the dynamic range the way I'd like to. My controller had been in storage for years until recently, so I'm rusty as hell with no time to work to get my chops back, which is why you also hear a Pulsar-23 metronome.

Pulsar-23 kit pieces

Pulsar-23 as a drum kit, short groove #1

Pulsar-23 as a drum kit, short groove #2
Love it. What a mad box. Cheers

geoffmar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:38 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by geoffmar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm

this thing looks way cooler than i initially thought. I guess when production ramps up I'll have to try one out!

am i correct in that the only way to get them is preorder direct from manufacturer? no us based stockists ATM?
Im on the fence between this and Syntrx...this being 1k cheaper is definitely a bonus

gosh
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by gosh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 am

My Pulsar has now been shipped (Poland to UK). Can’t wait!

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am

Good news gosh! It seems they've started up EU distribution again then. I was almost ready to believe someone was living it large in Ibiza or somesuch place from our money. ;-)

platform
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:54 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by platform » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 am

nodog wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am
Good news gosh! It seems they've started up EU distribution again then. I was almost ready to believe someone was living it large in Ibiza or somesuch place from our money. ;-)
Someone hasn't heard about Soma Zanzibar!

gosh
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by gosh » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am

:lol:

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by behndy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:31 am

boof. trying not to get a bit skeered, but the last update on my shipping was February 15th. it was Processed Through Facility at Moskva 14 days ago, then nothinnnnnng.

lol. i do NOT understand international shipping. i had a module shipped from Bulgaria, took 12 days from shipped to my spot. ordered some modules from Israel on the 26th, they already made it to the US and are at New York.

random shipping times are RANDOM.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3290
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by chvad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:02 pm

behndy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:31 am
boof. trying not to get a bit skeered, but the last update on my shipping was February 15th. it was Processed Through Facility at Moskva 14 days ago, then nothinnnnnng.

lol. i do NOT understand international shipping. i had a module shipped from Bulgaria, took 12 days from shipped to my spot. ordered some modules from Israel on the 26th, they already made it to the US and are at New York.

random shipping times are RANDOM.
mine sat in Moscow for almost 3 weeks when i received my tracking number. after that, you can use that same tracking number with USPS. In the US it took nearly 4 weeks to get as my local PO lost it. none of that’s on Soma though. this shit just takes time these days. a record i ordered from italy took a month to get here.

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by behndy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 pm

jebus.

yeah, i do NOT blame SOMA. they got it in the mail like 4 days after i paid i think? but yeah. the Processed Through Facility shows in the USPS tracking. so.... hopefully sooooon?

i'm super impatient because DAYUM y'alls demos sound GOOD.

annnnnnnd i feel douchey for being impatient because of how long others have had to wait just for loot to ship.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3290
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by chvad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:34 pm

behndy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 pm
jebus.

yeah, i do NOT blame SOMA. they got it in the mail like 4 days after i paid i think? but yeah. the Processed Through Facility shows in the USPS tracking. so.... hopefully sooooon?

i'm super impatient because DAYUM y'alls demos sound GOOD.

annnnnnnd i feel douchey for being impatient because of how long others have had to wait just for loot to ship.
I hear you on that! Believe me... I was CONVINCED I'd never see my unit lol.

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:54 am

platform wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 am

Someone hasn't heard about Soma Zanzibar!
I thought this was a joke comment. Turns out there is a SOMA Zanzibar(and I obviously hadn't heard of it).

More and more this company seems to be straight from a William Gibson novel. I love it.

User avatar
Ears
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Ears » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:29 pm

nodog wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:54 am
platform wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 am

Someone hasn't heard about Soma Zanzibar!
I thought this was a joke comment. Turns out there is a SOMA Zanzibar(and I obviously hadn't heard of it).

More and more this company seems to be straight from a William Gibson novel. I love it.
Whoa. If it opens I’m there. The music scene there is SICK! See https://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/ ... 12LP.html Just went to Uganda last September for a fest that included TZ artists like Sisso, Jay Mitta, Anti Virus and Duke and that stuff was a highlight!

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:12 am

It has arrived!!!

I got a free Ether with it which I guess is for the (over)long wait and much appreciated.

It's in my studio now, getting to normal temperature. Looking forward to using it tonight!!!

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 am

awesome! congratulations! can't wait to hear what you do with it.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm

At the moment I'm mostly salivating while trying different connections/modulation possibilities on quite a bland drumpattern. Not much to share yet I'm afraid.

I'm sequencing it with a external sequencer because firstly, I've a shitty feel for rythm and secondly, I'm not ready yet to dive in the manual recording mode.

Two things that were a bit unexpected and I don't know if it should work like this:
- With attack at 0 the BD won't have a consistent attack, let's say 12,13 out of 16 BD's have the very fast attack and then a couple haven't.
- The Clap pot on the SD channel doesn't work when triggered by midi (it does work when triggering manually).

I must say these aren't biggies. For instance; I'll be modulating the shit out of the sounds so don't need a consistent BD.

The Pulsar seems like the ideal companion for the Vermona DRM (which does have amazing sounds but doesn't do modulation). These two (plus my Eurorack percussion setup) will keep me going for the rest of my life I think.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1084
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by electricanada » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 pm

nodog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm
At the moment I'm mostly salivating while trying different connections/modulation possibilities on quite a bland drumpattern. Not much to share yet I'm afraid.

I'm sequencing it with a external sequencer because firstly, I've a shitty feel for rythm and secondly, I'm not ready yet to dive in the manual recording mode.

Two things that were a bit unexpected and I don't know if it should work like this:
- With attack at 0 the BD won't have a consistent attack, let's say 12,13 out of 16 BD's have the very fast attack and then a couple haven't.
- The Clap pot on the SD channel doesn't work when triggered by midi (it does work when triggering manually).

I must say these aren't biggies. For instance; I'll be modulating the shit out of the sounds so don't need a consistent BD.

The Pulsar seems like the ideal companion for the Vermona DRM (which does have amazing sounds but doesn't do modulation). These two (plus my Eurorack percussion setup) will keep me going for the rest of my life I think.
You’re also gonna need a Plumbutter and a D-2000.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17 pm

ALL THE RARE EXPENSIVE LOOTS WOOOOO!

glad you're digging it, JEALOUS, and i am okayyyyy with quirky behavior.

lol. sort of the point of the beast no?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:01 pm

nodog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm

- The Clap pot on the SD channel doesn't work when triggered by midi (it does work when triggering manually).
bit worried about this. so you're stuck with permanent clap no no clap? also does it work when triggered by a gate?

cheers

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Can anyone else confirm they have these issues too please?

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:56 pm

You do have the sd. The clap pot only makes it double, the further the pot the more time between doubles.

TBH it's not something I'd use much anyway. Having said that, I would also like to know if this is standard behaviour (the same for the BD attack thing)
Last edited by nodog on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Forgot to say this machine delivers what you'd expect from all the hype. It is that good. Busy on my second jam now. Might be able to upload some recording(s) later tonight or tomorrow. Love, love, love it.

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm

I could be wrong but does it look like the clap know is being used in this?


User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:38 pm

nodog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 pm
Forgot to say this machine delivers what you'd expect from all the hype. It is that good. Busy on my second jam now. Might be able to upload some recording(s) later tonight or tomorrow. Love, love, love it.
Recording would be wicked. Nice one!

User avatar
nodog
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by nodog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Bobby wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm
I could be wrong but does it look like the clap know is being used in this?

I can't use it with midi like in the second part of that video. If that was indeed under midicontrol there's something wrong with mine.

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:48 pm

nodog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:42 pm
Bobby wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm
I could be wrong but does it look like the clap know is being used in this?

I can't use it with midi like in the second part of that video. If that was indeed under midicontrol there's something wrong with mine.
Fingers crossed for you dude. Hopefully a loose connection.

...course that's a prototype so potentially nothing wrong too.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”