Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by behndy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 pm

sooooooooo worth the wait though!

trying to do a jammy thing a day during THE LOCKDOWN (i'm in the Bay Yarea), Day 01 is my first patterns with the Pyramid controlling Cycles and Pulsies -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm

behndy wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 pm
sooooooooo worth the wait though!
trying to do a jammy thing a day during THE LOCKDOWN (i'm in the Bay Yarea), Day 01 is my first patterns with the Pyramid controlling Cycles and Pulsies
Nice. Post some more.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 am

Nice work. I also gotta get on that jam a day bandwagon.

Behndy, you’re really stacking them shelves up... what else do you have planned?

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 am

scottmoon wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm
Nice. Post some more.
thanks! i'm focusing on trying to get my head around one concept a day, today's was making loops (NI Massive pad patch for the melody here) then popping them on to Black Box to sequence with everything else. Cycles for drums, Pulsar for DRUUUUMS -

and these are the other two days -

LameAim wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 am
Nice work. I also gotta get on that jam a day bandwagon.

Behndy, you’re really stacking them shelves up... what else do you have planned?
oh man. DO it. or not even that, but set a goal each day. i have learned and got so much more done than my natural inclinations of bingeing shows and playing vidja games all day when i'm stuck inside would have led to.

boof. the goal is a Korg Minilogue XD up top right, whiiiiiich actually arrived the other day, i sent it back for a refund because money is too scary right now for gear purchases. then a Sirin next to the TB3 (i dunno whyyyyy people hate that thing. i love it.), and a mixer with 12ish tracks over USB so i can keep the PM for modular and the synth boxes always wired up.

but. no gear right now. the wife and i are okay, we have money banked, but since we have no idea when i can get my business open again and how busy we'll be, we're not spending ANYthing except on necessities. and while i'd rather have a bitching Moog monosynth and a beautiful 3 osc Korg polyphonic box, i have Komplete and that library of soft synths is amazing.

EVERYBODY STAY HEALTHY AND SAFE AND SMART PLEASE.

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 am

behndy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 am
scottmoon wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm
Nice. Post some more.
More good stuff! Keep it up. I have a BlackBox arriving Tuesday. I need me some sampling again. I got rid of my Eurorack sampling rack, too much money just to sample and modulate. Hope this will do the trick.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am

behndy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 am
oh man. DO it. or not even that, but set a goal each day. i have learned and got so much more done than my natural inclinations of bingeing shows and playing vidja games all day when i'm stuck inside would have led to.

boof. the goal is a Korg Minilogue XD up top right, whiiiiiich actually arrived the other day, i sent it back for a refund because money is too scary right now for gear purchases. then a Sirin next to the TB3 (i dunno whyyyyy people hate that thing. i love it.), and a mixer with 12ish tracks over USB so i can keep the PM for modular and the synth boxes always wired up.

but. no gear right now. the wife and i are okay, we have money banked, but since we have no idea when i can get my business open again and how busy we'll be, we're not spending ANYthing except on necessities. and while i'd rather have a bitching Moog monosynth and a beautiful 3 osc Korg polyphonic box, i have Komplete and that library of soft synths is amazing.

Yeah - working on it. And I hear you on the money thing for sure. My gear fund has a bit in it from recent sales, but I'm trying to be careful with where it goes.

To bring this back to the Pulsar-23 - how are people interacting with theirs? Using the touch plates and internal sequencer? Feeding triggers via modular or MIDI? My conundrum now is that I recently picked up a Metron and an external skiff to sequence both the Pulsar and 7U Euro setup, and while the Metron is fantastic at what it does, I've swapped it out for Ableton for the last couple of sessions and have found that the Pulsar responds better to MIDI for my purposes. Puts me in a bit of an awkward position with the Metron despite how awesome it is.

E Baxter Put
Learning to Wiggle

Post by E Baxter Put » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:21 am

I’m using the internal looper and metal pads. The looper is my favorite thing about it. I’m sending cv info out to my other gear. Right now, I’m using Pulsar to control a couple of Grendel Drone Commanders going through oto bim bam boum.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Scotts - thanks!

yeah. i have a Squid Salmplehrger in my rack, but it's really just a drum rompler playback. and i love it for that. but i kinda suck at sample manipulations anyways, the screen helps a LOT.

you'll dig it! everything that was wonky about the BitBox has been addressed in the Black.

Lamest Aimest - jia. i've been controlling mines with CV some, mostly MIDI. just fits the way i'm trying to work right now. the looper is really cool but... i suck with it. and it's yet another interface to learn, and one i'm not super keen on so.... will tackle that later.

Baxter Putter - that sounds AWESOME. any vidja? sounds?

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:57 pm

LameAim wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am

how are people interacting with theirs? Using the touch plates and internal sequencer? Feeding triggers via modular or MIDI?
I'm using it by MIDI. Tried the loop sequencer for a bit last week but I really suck at live playing. Sometimes I feed a channel triggers but I do miss not having the velocity-sensetivity that way.

I did get the SHAOS module running with a cool loop. Problem then was how to sync-start it by midi. AFAICS it's not possible to sync the start of the SHAOS loop to an external sequencer? In the end I just started the midi-sequencer at a certain point where it, to my ear, synced nicely with the SHAOS loop. It did stay in sync for the whole session so that was a positive.

By the way, has anyone else noted some unexpected behaviour from the attenuaters? According to the schematics I would presume the left pin should be the ingoing signal and then the right pin will provide the out-going attenuated signal but it seems it's the other way around? Maybe I'm going crazy but last time I tried two of them, one seemed to behave like expected and the other one inverted like described above. I will check for this next time I'm in the studio. Last time I was in the middle of making music so didn't want to be distracted by this.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:21 pm

I've had mine a couple of days. Because of Corona insanity I haven't had as much of play as I'd like. It's mad and really inspiring tho. I'm not really at a point where I know how to get what I want tho which is fun but I think I'm gonna keep it in the living room for a bit until I know it a bit better before I make any tracks with it. Great box tho, brilliant to lose yourself in, gets totally crazy quite easily.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 pm

nodog wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:57 pm
By the way, has anyone else noted some unexpected behaviour from the attenuaters? According to the schematics I would presume the left pin should be the ingoing signal and then the right pin will provide the out-going attenuated signal but it seems it's the other way around?
This is the correct behavior, and all mine do indeed work correctly. The schematic indicates the output pin as attenuated by variable resistance: the arrow points to the rectangle, which represents that the arrow's position changes along the rectangle (resistance) depending on the knob's position.

E Baxter Put
Learning to Wiggle

Post by E Baxter Put » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 pm

It's an inspiring synth!

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

LameAim wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am

To bring this back to the Pulsar-23 - how are people interacting with theirs? Using the touch plates and internal sequencer? Feeding triggers via modular or MIDI? My conundrum now is that I recently picked up a Metron and an external skiff to sequence both the Pulsar and 7U Euro setup, and while the Metron is fantastic at what it does, I've swapped it out for Ableton for the last couple of sessions and have found that the Pulsar responds better to MIDI for my purposes. Puts me in a bit of an awkward position with the Metron despite how awesome it is.
I’m having so much fun with the touch plates, and spontaneous flesh patching, and internal clocking/sequencing that I haven’t interfaced it yet. What I think it needs most is external eq. When I get a lot of feedback and cross-patching going on, it tends to get muddy. I’m going to start running it through the Worng Soundstage.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 am

sequencing the Pulsy again with the Pyramid -

lionel
Common Wiggler

Post by lionel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am

From the manual :

«the Looper-Recorder is essentially a virtual tape that constantly records all manipulations with the ADD and DEL sensors, taking into account the velocity specified by the sensors of the REC.CONT (recorder control) section. It does not record manipulations of the knobs and switches, or incoming MIDI events and CV signals »

Does this mean that there is no other way to record things on the Looper-Recorder than triggering the ADD and DEL sensors ?

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 am

behndy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 am
Love it. :goo:

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm

lionel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am
From the manual :

«the Looper-Recorder is essentially a virtual tape that constantly records all manipulations with the ADD and DEL sensors, taking into account the velocity specified by the sensors of the REC.CONT (recorder control) section. It does not record manipulations of the knobs and switches, or incoming MIDI events and CV signals »

Does this mean that there is no other way to record things on the Looper-Recorder than triggering the ADD and DEL sensors ?
It'll also record your dynamics (H, L, and M).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm

scottmoon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 am
behndy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 am
Love it. :goo:
thanks!

still focusing on learning all the Pyramid's inner thoughts and actions, the middle metal clangy beat here is Pulsers -

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 am

chord and hats are Cycles, rest is Pulins -

@realwiggler
Common Wiggler

Post by @realwiggler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:40 am

behndy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 am
chord and hats are Cycles, rest is Pulins -

:headbang: :headbang: behndy you are absolutely killing it with these installments, and this one is another HEATER!!

Glad your spending your time well

Keep me coming!!!
"Don't be a douchebag"
- Mr. Muffs

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm

lol. a LOT of time home right now. sucks but also..... good?

thank you! this thing is a BLAST.

Torus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Torus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Has anyone been using the Pulsar with Eurorack as a master or slave in terms of midi?
What's the best way to connect the two?

Cheers!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 pm

i use it slaved to a Squarp Pyramid, run a MIDI cable into it, clicked the Learn for BD, played a note, clicked on Bass Learn, played a note etc for all 4 sections.

i have also run it with a clock from Pam's. that way it tempo sync's to the modular?

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:09 pm

more boopings.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:04 am

Sir, you are on fire and it is evident that your deeper grasp of the instruments is paying off in better and better jams. Thanks for sharing these.

Return to “General Gear”