format aside, best sequencer ever? cirklon, fenix 3, 250e, ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:14 am

I wished I could have sequenced my gear with my rytm! So quick once you learn the flow. Makes me think I need one of the new boxes... but

Learning the LD3 currently and that is quite capable!

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm

RS7000 is a great sequencer, i wish they’d make a new smaller version with a modern sampler. I’ve used quite a few sequencers and this is my favorite so far, because of the way you can control or programme everything so finely, but also just perform with it so easily. I only sold it because it was takingup too much space, but I do kinda regret it.

Now I use the Engine, nice and compact, feels solid all round, simple to operate. Connectivity is where it’s at, 8 pairs of cv/gate outputs, plus din sync and midi outs. I did have a BSP, but it didn’t have enough going on for me, although it was a pleasure to touch and control, I liked the feel of the buttons and pots.

Honourable mention to ableton live, however I don’t use it now as I don’t use computers any more. When I switched from Cubase to Live, Live was a revolutionary concept for me, the clip launching etc. really made sense and still does.

I am really interested to try the polyend seq and the pyramid, I will hopefully get a cirklon one day but the waiting list puts me off.

I sometimes talk about these kind of topics with my wife, and she usually falls asleep. That’s why I come here!

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm

elektron p-locks 4ever

:oops:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

mayyammay
Common Wiggler

Post by mayyammay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:15 pm

NerdSeq and Cirklon!

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:35 am

hardware, currently in production: Squarp Pyramid
hardware, retro: Roland MC-80

both are great machines for live usage.

why i love Pyramid:
– the best feature set to form factor ratio. (i know, everyone loves Cirklon, but it is not really backpack-friendly, so if i could afford Cirklon, i would own both)
– user interface. once you memorized shortcuts, you very rarely need display.
– capability of keeping MIDI clock running (without restart) while changing projects — the best workaround for Blofeld timing issues, which are triggered by MIDI clock restart.
– great support. OS gets regular updates with new features and optimizations.

why i love MC-80:
you can have both linear and pattern tracks in the same project, and record your own performance while playing. add Roland's RPC and you get one of the most convenient sequencer workflows i'm aware of.

software: sequencer64 & Monoplugs B-Step.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:54 am

The Zaquencer is the most fun and creative sequencer I have tried... and looks more fun than the ones I haven't tried... A real pity that the BCR hardware is such a POS- mine broke after only a little use....

Interesting how the best ones are not really available- adds a nice air of elitism and exclusivity. :cloud: BSP for the proles, Cirklon for the pros, bitches!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:04 am

I have never had much use for a hardware sequencer but after seeing a Polyend Seq at Knobcon......WOW! That is one sexy piece of industrial design!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:41 am

My personal favs....

Social Engine Entropy: An absolute animal. Best I’ve ever used. Capable of more than I would ever need.

Roland SH-101: A sketchbook style sequencer that always managed to inspire me. The SH-01a is a solid replacement (and polyphonic) but is just a little less inspiring.....it could also be that the SH-01a in and of itself is a little less inspiring too though.
TOO FAR GONE

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 am

I’ve used or owned most sequencers but finally settled on the Cirklon and the SE Engine as my two favorites ever. Cirklon truly ties the whole room together and lets me make full songs in real-time sequencing a ton of CV and MIDI, and the Engine is like junior or coupe version that I frequently forget isn’t made by the same company. The engine is faster, funkier, and more fun to write and jam on so I run its output into/through the Cirklon!
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:38 am

For me the Vector Sequencer, because it ties in the modular with the non-modular, and with its inputs, allows me to use modular composition techniques in both worlds.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

daveholiday wrote:I have never had much use for a hardware sequencer but after seeing a Polyend Seq at Knobcon......WOW! That is one sexy piece of industrial design!
I haven't had the Seq for very long, but the pairing of the Seq and a Vermona DRM1 III has been a lot of fun so far. No idea if it would replace the Notron or Komas for driving monosynths, but I'm sure I'll eventually give it a try.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:00 pm

mome rath wrote:elektron p-locks 4ever

I was going to say it'd be tough for me to choose between the Octatrack and Monomachine SFX-6 for favorite sequencer. the SFX-6... something about having that keyboard interface tied to your sequencer is just incredible. press a trig key and see the led above the key light up. it's wonderful. and makes the writing process very seamless. but for the Octatrack... it's more capable, but just a little less seamless to use.

that said, I have a Cirklon now so I'd likely lean that way. I just don't know it well enough yet to feel like I can state that honestly.

BUT if we're talking internal sequencers... hands down Elektron wins for me.

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Nobody for Genoqs Octopus?
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm

chiasticon wrote:
mome rath wrote:elektron p-locks 4ever

I was going to say it'd be tough for me to choose between the Octatrack and Monomachine SFX-6 for favorite sequencer. the SFX-6... something about having that keyboard interface tied to your sequencer is just incredible. press a trig key and see the led above the key light up. it's wonderful. and makes the writing process very seamless. but for the Octatrack... it's more capable, but just a little less seamless to use.

that said, I have a Cirklon now so I'd likely lean that way. I just don't know it well enough yet to feel like I can state that honestly.

BUT if we're talking internal sequencers... hands down Elektron wins for me.
after owning both, I preferred the MnM without keys-
it put me in a more adventurous space and I got a lot weirder with it
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:17 pm

daveholiday wrote:I have never had much use for a hardware sequencer but after seeing a Polyend Seq at Knobcon......WOW! That is one sexy piece of industrial design!
Sure is! I love it. Pity my display malfunctioned after 6 weeks. Now waiting for repairs.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Digitakt...most fun of all Elektron sequencers

Anyway, it´s not just the sequencer alone but the integration with the sampling engine, with the p-locks, EGs and LFOs with sync and trigger settings per step, and the MIDI channels with its own LFOs that can send CC or modulate other stuff in each channel

Of course the conditional triggers rules

The one on the Octatrack is even better with arpeggiator in the MIDI tracks but the whole machine is so counter intuitive to use that I never enjoyed it as far as I do with the Digitakt

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 am

robotfunk wrote:For me the Vector Sequencer, because it ties in the modular with the non-modular, and with its inputs, allows me to use modular composition techniques in both worlds.
+1. I have no more desire for a Cirklon.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 am

I love how in these sequencer discussions more than half of the gear mentioned is unobtainable. . . and am relieved to have finally come to my senses and decided to stop messing around and get used to using software - because format aside a computer destroys any and all hardware for this. ("but but MIDI clock jitter, yada yada"- nah.)

The Vector seems to me the best currently available hardware option- shame it is in that annoying eurorack format and the MIDI stuff is not its main focus....

The Zaquencer would have been perfect as a scratchpad if the hardware wasn't so bad.. etc etc.

HerrX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HerrX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 am

SQ-1 because <$100 USD. Seriously, that much sequencer for so little dosh is truly amazing. I would have shit twice and died 15 years ago if you'd have told me of the future of the thing.

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 am

conventional

EMU Proteus 2500 (seqencer identical to EMU Command station)
for song writing, editing, polyphonic midi recording. Deep editing possible. As a guitar player I´m using a Ztar Z7 for recording into the 2500 seqencer.

Flame Six in a Row - also for more conventional musical tracks. A pattern sequencer that surprises you always with good and new ideas to work on.

experimental

Genoqs Nemo. My favorite step sequencer. Lots of options, intertrack modulation, nice visual representation of step evolvement.

Undead Instruments Timefrog 3 Clould be an ordinary 16 step sequencer. Could be driven into the wild when turnig the wheel. 2 clockspeeds at a time possible.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:00 am

i've used lots of sequencers, but i couldn't possibly cite one, or even just a few, as the 'best'. I have seriously disliked some of the ones mentioned - like the Nemo, which to my mind, was just a horrible distortion of the Octopus, which was a fine instrument.

but I'll mention one that I don't believe has been mentioned....the Nord G2 sequencer. Damn fine thing.....I suppose one could argue that it is a software sequencer, because you're editing it on the computer, but hell.

There was a windows software sequencer that had a similar graphic interface, whose name I forget no. It's no longer in production, and I don't use windows, but it was mighty powerful. Can anyone remember what the name of it was?

Return to “General Gear”