Should I keep Analog Rytm mk2??

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Should I keep Analog Rytm mk2??

Post by thewizmusic » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:56 am

I currently have a few hexinverter mutant modules, a trigger riot, ryo logic modules and a nord drum 2 (great synthesis); including Rytm mkII.

The drum synthesis part seems very limited, samples I always do with the computer, and I didn't realize until after I purchase it cannot externally sequence anything.

Looking for some feedback from some people who have used it, likes and dislikes welcome. I am really curious if I am maybe missing something from it? Key features that keep bringing people back to the series of drum machine?

Thank you in advance.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Re: Should I keep Analog Rytm mk2??

Post by Panason » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:27 am

I don't have the mk2 and wasn't interested to upgrade to it from my mk1 .
thewizmusic wrote:I didn't realize until after I purchase it cannot externally sequence anything.

There must be hundreds of people whose trust in Elektron was betrayed like this ... I have seen this kind of comment over and over again. Yeah "you should research what you buy" but Elektron could have published a feature comparison chart for their boxes, like Dave Smith has, so people can easily make the right decision and not be hoodwinked.

TLDR: sell and if you like the sound and functionality get a used mk1 in good condition while you still can (avoid units flashed with the latest firmware 1.4 as it has bugs and can cause crashes). Just don't expect Overbridge to be a working feature. Also, sample management on pre-1.4 OS mk1 is like back to the early 90s.

The only substantial differences between the mk2 and mk1 are:

-sampling onboard :lol: Because sampling in mono using a severely limited hardware sampler costing 1400euros is the latest thing.

-Higher quality (24 bit vs 16bit , more channels) audio streaming over Overbridge 2 WHICH IS STILL IN BETA and has absolutely no guarantees of ever working right after years of problems they could not fix.

-A dedicated fill button for those fills that most people will not bother to program because fills have been tacked on the Rytm OS in an particularly awkward manner. Elektron did not take the opportunity to change this on the new machine despite adding a button...

- A larger screen that is still a low-res screen for those pixel graphics that Elektron find so cool even though it means less information can be displayed and parameter names have to be abbreviated..

-Supposedly better pads.

There are a lot of reports online of mk2 units with hardware and firmware issues (including machines that were supposedly "fixed" by sending them to back to Elektron HQ in Sweden, at buyer's expense) . On the whole it is less reliable than the mk1 which is 99% rock solid.

For me it's a no brainer: the mk2 is an overpriced potato at this point. It does look pretty though.

Others will probably chime in to condemn this comment as the work of a troll, and to attest that the mk2 is perfect, so read around.

djx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by djx » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:35 am

os 1.45 working fine here, but I've read about issues that some other people had. So, should I get rid of it because some else is complaining?

All that matters to me is whether I can make the music that I wanted to make when I purchased it? If the answer is yes, then I would keep it. If the answer is no, then I would look for something else.

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm not sure how not advertising a feature a device doesn't have is a betrayal but anyhoo ... ;)

It has individual outs for each voice. You could use those as triggers with something like a Vpme Trig31

Pros for keeping

The sequencer can't be got no where else
OS 1.45 adds a genuine analog bass synth

Sticking to a MK1 isn't an unreasonable suggestion though

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm

The MK2 isn't perfect but I enjoy it.
I used to have a MK1 and had no real complaints about it. I don't use the sampling feature as I spent a lot of time making sample chains for my MK1 so I have loads of material to work from. Some day I'll probably utilize the sampling and more specifically resampling for layers and such. It's good to have room to grow, and I think it makes it more capable as an "all-in-one" box for certain , more raw, musical styles.

Something I didn't think I'd appreciate as much as I do, and has yet to be mentioned here, is the Quick Performance potentiometer. It's handy having that available while in scene or mute mode.

The Dual VCO bass synth is very usable. And the master comp and overdrive work wonders for the stereo output.

So far the OB beta phase 1 and 2 drivers are working out. Still some things to iron out, and it has taken much longer than Elektron or most other people ever imagined it would. But I think it will be worth it in the end.
I remember waiting things out for the direct jump bug to finally be ironed out on the MK1, and this was a live show stopper bug if you relied on that feature. Shortly after that was fixed, additional synthesis machines and trig conditions were added, and that definitely took out some of the sting from all the waiting.

I wish it had a bit more ram and +Drive space for samples with regard to live set prep, which I've found is best to use one project.
But if using it in a studio setting with a project for every 1 to 5 tracks, it's more than adequate.

As to the drum synthesis being limited, A4 is definitely a better drum synth in many regards. But the voice limitation is a concern.
I've rarely felt like Rytm couldn't synthesize any certain analog drum sound "close enough", and for those times I've wanted something more specific (i.e. harsher metallic hats), I will blend in a sample of what I want and usually make something more interesting with the combination of the synth and sample layer.

The larger size, vs the MK1, was something I figured I'd dislike, but I actually prefer it now, so go figure.

Try to make 10 tracks with it and if you aren't happy with the result, let go of it.

And as far as it not being able to externally sequence anything, the impulse machines and voice outs DO let you sequence CV/trig modules.
I've used it to sequence a Roland TM-2 (triggering much longer samples than Rytm allows), and Vermona DRM1. It will sequence your ND2.

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you everyone who has responded so far! It is always good to lean on a fellow artist for a different perspective. I definitely didn’t realize it could trigger with cv. I will give that a go. I should probably make a few more tracks to be sure.
As for them not advertising the no external sequencing I am split on this because the sequencer was one of the main reasons I picked it up. Felt it would be a one stop shop as my drum brain. Yes I can’t technically be pissed at them, I can definitely be disappointed. How do I feel justified in that? I am sure they are out there but I have not found a device that sequences, specifically in the price range not be able to sequence other devices. The hardware is there, software is basically there, triggering externally is there as I know now, and it seems they separate out the sequence feature to another module for monetary reasons. Which to be fair is their choice but doesn’t feel fully honest.

I need to visit more with the baseline aspect but I do have a large modular setup and a number of synths.
As far as the sound design aspect, it does create what it needs to I guess I was expecting more options like the Nord drum 2 which is my bad maybe for not doing a deep dive into the manual before purchasing. Watched a lot of videos not the best to rely on. The limitations I see is the overall tone seems to be the same. That is the norm for drum machines I suppose. With all the positive reviews of the mk1 and the price point I assumed it was the end all be all of drum machines. This was definitely my fault.
Bad to have expectations but maybe this thing will win me over in the end I’ll give it a bit more time and see what I can come up with on it.
Currently just really enjoy the ND2, I have been able to make old school copies of linndrum all the way to real sounding acoustic drums with it.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to put in your 2 cents!

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:53 pm

rytm mkll here and no problem at all
this drum machine is growing on me everyday
sounds fantastic it's a big monster of a synthetizer

sample on board is a treasure really
that filter on everytrack is lush
fx are super useful

use it and use it and use it
make music with it
personally i am so happy with it :guinness:

ranzen
Common Wiggler

Post by ranzen » Sat May 16, 2020 5:23 am

The combination of the Rytm and the Nord Drum 2 is fantastic because you can use the parameter locks to alter the sounds of the nord via midi CC

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Sun May 17, 2020 9:06 am

Rather than re-post, I'll link you to a similar discussion and my response. I would advise you to watch that video I reference for inspiration.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119921&p=3199824#p3199824

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun May 17, 2020 9:19 am

Yeah don’t forget about parameter locks. You can get similar effects with sequencers in Euro but the Rytm allows for lot of parameter tweaks and can be saved. Plus all of the chaining you can do which would get costly in Euro.

It actually replaced my Tempest precisely because it’s more limited. It saves time dialing in bread and butter sounds. If I want something more complex I can do it on another synth—and even save it as a sample in the Rytm if I want.

dani
Common Wiggler

Post by dani » Sun May 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Overbridge is out and running

actually the screen of mk2 is smaller, same resolution but much much better screen

and the new button illumination is also great

But my mk2 was also three times in service, I pray that I won‘t ever again need to send away my beloved Rytm

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun May 17, 2020 3:43 pm

wow back from the dead why lol
TOO FAR GONE

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 pm

I've sold every piece of elektron gear I've ever owned. Never looked back. Don't miss it. Glad I could sell it for about the same if not more than I paid for it.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Mon May 18, 2020 5:00 pm

I sold every piece of Elektron gear too!!

Then I bought them all back after I realized they did some unique things better than the alternatives.

Never looked back since.

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm

If anyone wants to sell their Rythm, hit me up.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 am

Elektron gear changed the game.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”