BR-909

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:im really stoked for this. i have a tr-09 and enjoy the sound but for me its a bit too small to play expressively.

Hold up.. Is that an actual retail box underneath it?? It says 808 but either way OMG THEYRE COMING!!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 am

computer controlled wrote: It's such a Gearslutz thing to ask for. Along with a VST editor and pattern changing vis MIDI.
I suppose muffigglers would require pattern changing via analog triggers, 128 of them, or through their expert sleepers whatever.

But, i forget that muffs will be doing manual pattern changing along with their droning eurorack band, and it will be experimental semi generative musiq anyway so precisely timed pattern changes are not needed, that' s for the low-brow "EDM" crowd. :despair:

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri May 10, 2019 5:33 am

[video][/video]

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 am

Not bad at all.

crowleywaltz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crowleywaltz » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am

I keep trying so hard not to care about all this Behringer stuff but they keep pulling me back in every time I hear how good they actually sound. Guess I'm in for a 909...

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Fri May 10, 2019 5:30 pm

[video][/video]

The bass drum is a bit pants, though. Why is this so hard to get right?

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sat May 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't know.. The kick sounds pretty 909-y to me.. Close enough that Im over here yelling DAMN IT BEHRINGER GET EM DONE AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

That first video though, god damn. GIMME IT.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat May 11, 2019 7:45 pm

suthnear wrote:[video][/video]

:despair:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat May 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Panason wrote:
computer controlled wrote: It's such a Gearslutz thing to ask for. Along with a VST editor and pattern changing vis MIDI.
I suppose muffigglers would require pattern changing via analog triggers, 128 of them, or through their expert sleepers whatever.

But, i forget that muffs will be doing manual pattern changing along with their droning eurorack band, and it will be experimental semi generative musiq anyway so precisely timed pattern changes are not needed, that' s for the low-brow "EDM" crowd. :despair:
Meh. At this price I think it's worth it even as a sound module. I do agree that decent pattern changing is important, and not by any means a bizarre request.

I'm interest in this box for sure. Sounds decent to me.

franktropez
Common Wiggler

Post by franktropez » Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm

anselmi wrote:
suthnear wrote:[video][/video]

:despair:
Sounds alright to me, maybe it could have a bit more body but I kinda like it this way.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Sounds nothing like a 909. To call this a 909 clone is a joke. Its like trying to clone a sheep and getting a chicken... Or a duck, a pig, a cow.. Whatever. I think thats embarassing really
Last edited by spacezignul on Sun May 12, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franktropez
Common Wiggler

Post by franktropez » Sun May 12, 2019 3:06 pm

So if somebody played you sounds from those videos and asked you "what drumcomputer does this sound like?" you wouldn't go "909"?
Genuine question.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

franktropez wrote:So if somebody played you sounds from those videos and asked you "what drumcomputer does this sound like?" you wouldn't go "909"?
Genuine question.
Nope. Genuine answer. Its very obvious it is not a 909. The kick has no punch, it is very flabby, the snare sounds completely different and so on

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun May 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Everybody keeps saying it doesn't quite hit the mark but people also forget the '909's theyre basing this on are more than likely heavily processed finished products.

Things like the 1176 or the dbx 160 made a hell of a difference to the drum tracks that made you want a 909 in the first place.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Not only that, but as anyone who has cloned either of the XOX drum machines will tell you, no two machines sound alike.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sun May 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Monotremata wrote:Everybody keeps saying it doesn't quite hit the mark but people also forget the '909's theyre basing this on are more than likely heavily processed finished products.

Things like the 1176 or the dbx 160 made a hell of a difference to the drum tracks that made you want a 909 in the first place.
Whithout wanting to sound smug or snob I know very well what a dry 909 sounds like and I'm afraid this is not it.

Not to mention that a 909 is not only about how it sounds but how it feels and how it grooves and again I'm afraid this supposed clone just falls flat in that respect.

Having said that I think it is a decent drum machine and sounds decent enough, just nowhere near the original

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm

spacezignul wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Everybody keeps saying it doesn't quite hit the mark but people also forget the '909's theyre basing this on are more than likely heavily processed finished products.

Whithout wanting to sound smug or snob I know very well what a dry 909 sounds like and I'm afraid this is not it.

Not to mention that a 909 is not only about how it sounds but how it feels and how it grooves and again I'm afraid this supposed clone just falls flat in that respect.

Having said that I think it is a decent drum machine and sounds decent enough, just nowhere near the original
I agree...and I´m not in a mood to troll Behringer products, but THIS demo sounds like other stuff than a 909

Maybe this is just an early stage without the proper calibration...I remember that the first Model D demos doesn´t sounds like a Minimoog neither so maybe it´s just a question of time
Last edited by anselmi on Mon May 13, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 12, 2019 6:52 pm

spacezignul wrote:

Actually a dry 909 is entirely effective without processing and that processing thing while somewhat true is also becoming a bit of a myth that everyone likes to repeat now. Neither 909 and 808 kicks need processing to sound good but there is a bit of variability with 808s. A 909 straight into a good PA slams.

I've taken a personal vow not to bother criticising Behringer anymore because it just results in the same old arguments, but I have to say that is a really aesthetically displeasing drum machine for me. It looks like a 1990s dot matrix printer.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Moreover i think what pisses me off is that coming to a trade show where theres lots of great products and manufacturers are trying their best to present quality products to people that love gear and how things sound and coming and presenting a product and labeling it after a classic and definitive piece of kit expecting people to buy into it just because "its a 909"

Honestly f*ck that.. People deserve better (rant over)

Cheers

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon May 13, 2019 4:41 am

Gotta agree, doesn’t thud , and most people know what dry 909 sounds like by now.

The Roland emulations are really very good here.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Gotta agree, doesn’t thud , and most people know what dry 909 sounds like by now.

The Roland emulations are really very good here.
Yes I agree. I was stunned by the TR-09 actually.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon May 13, 2019 5:42 am

I had the Jomox 999 for a while and I think the kicks on the Jomox were better than what I hear in these LAME demos. The snare is not there either.

They probably need to work on it more.

How come all these clueless people who clearly have little wiggling experience get to do the demos?

I need to get out there and show'em how it's done. :mrgreen:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 am

Panason wrote:I had the Jomox 999 for a while and I think the kicks on the Jomox were better than what I hear in these LAME demos. The snare is not there either.

They probably need to work on it more.

How come all these clueless people who clearly have little wiggling experience get to do the demos?

I need to get out there and show'em how it's done. :mrgreen:
Of course the 999 is way better. It's way better than the 909. And the Alphabase is also excellent. Jomox drum machines rock.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon May 13, 2019 6:10 am

If it rocked I wouldn't have sold it! It sounds good but that's where the good stuff ends and the pain begins.
:waah:

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Mon May 13, 2019 8:38 am

I honestly think the analogue obsession with the two Roland TR machines has gone daft. I had a TR-09 Boutique which just slammed...sounded as near as dammit to the last OG 909 I played -tho' I admit that was a long time ago... More importantly it 'grooved' like a 909 too - is Uli's effort going to do that ?

Then I traded that up to the TR-8S when that landed for the bigger controls, other emulations, sample import, FX all round MOARness.

I've used it extensively both in the studio & live : in the latter situation through a big PA it's absolutely devastating, especially with some of the compression settings I'd dialled in.

It can do OG 808 & 909...& 606 ...& all the other stuff...& sound as retro or futuristic as you want. All in one box.

It's not analogue .. yeah it's an emulation - but really, who gives a fuck ?! I mean honestly. I just find it hard to get people GASsing for buying these two Behringer things when you could just buy a TR-8S. Roland really nailed it - it's their best ever drum machine.

Return to “General Gear”