BR-909

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Post Reply
tenembre

Post by tenembre » Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am

The BR-909 is being held back until Q3 for further tweaks, per Uli's gearslutz posting.

So they've realized it's not quite ready for prime time. I think it's safe to assume that they have a real 909 to compare it with.

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:31 pm

After hearing those videos, I'm feeling better about my commitment to building a Nava. :despair:

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 pm

ym2612 wrote:After hearing those videos, I'm feeling better about my commitment to building a Nava. :despair:
I've owned a Nava. I thought it was pretty nice. But updates requiring hardware modification was a turn off. And I'm hoping this will have MIDI CC implementation.

User avatar
jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:26 pm
Location: Tucson

Post by jdaddyaz » Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 pm

I must be in a minority, but owning 100s of 909 samples, and a tr8, I think it's pretty close to a 909. The KD needs a wee bit tweaking but all in all pretty close.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 13, 2019 11:56 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:I must be in a minority, but owning 100s of 909 samples, and a tr8, I think it's pretty close to a 909. The KD needs a wee bit tweaking but all in all pretty close.
every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 am

slumberjack wrote:every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
You could say that about any drum machine or synth that's been used in a track, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 am

ym2612 wrote:
slumberjack wrote:every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
You could say that about any drum machine or synth that's been used in a track, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
it supposed to mean that the sound what we know to be 'this machine' is more likely heavy processed and (i'm sorry to say that) none of the drummachines sounds right out the box super fat. well you for sure don't have to agree with my statement.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 am

slumberjack wrote:
ym2612 wrote:
slumberjack wrote:every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
You could say that about any drum machine or synth that's been used in a track, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
it supposed to mean that the sound what we know to be 'this machine' is more likely heavy processed and (i'm sorry to say that) none of the drummachines sounds right out the box super fat. well you for sure don't have to agree with my statement.
When you say "we" you need to be a bit more specific. Not only people have very different experiences in regards to auditory experiences but also diferent experiences dealing with different pieces of equipment so no, the sound that "we" "know" is not the same for everyone

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

tenembre wrote:The BR-909 is being held back until Q3 for further tweaks, per Uli's gearslutz posting.

So they've realized it's not quite ready for prime time. I think it's safe to assume that they have a real 909 to compare it with.
I guess that settles the argument for now..

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:02 am

Also, I think a dry 909 sounds like pure techno, but ymmv.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 pm

spacezignul wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
ym2612 wrote:
slumberjack wrote:every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
You could say that about any drum machine or synth that's been used in a track, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
it supposed to mean that the sound what we know to be 'this machine' is more likely heavy processed and (i'm sorry to say that) none of the drummachines sounds right out the box super fat. well you for sure don't have to agree with my statement.
When you say "we" you need to be a bit more specific. Not only people have very different experiences in regards to auditory experiences but also diferent experiences dealing with different pieces of equipment so no, the sound that "we" "know" is not the same for everyone
with 'we' i mean everybody which is familiar to electronic music from depeche mode to alphaville over a bronski beat (haw-haw) and almost everything that is played in the matter of disco, new wave, synth pop since over 30 years on the radio. in the supermarket. on the parking deck. well deck would the another context too: if you ever went to club dancing to wether old school rap music or get loved by the egyptian lover or techno or house, minimal or full-on ebm or mainstream, hearing a dj play, now or then, teheran or tel aviv or tenesse (well, not so sure about that last one) maybe then again there could also be a thing where a simple word like 'we' could be apropiate. :party:

edit:

forgot to post the link to this statement from 3:38 on til around 4:15.
(maybe just to remind myself the 'we' is at least 3 people more than myself)

[video][/video]
Last edited by slumberjack on Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

ym2612 wrote:Also, I think a dry 909 sounds like pure techno, but ymmv.
lots of things sounds like pure techno to me...maybe starting with a piano phase. :)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Tue May 14, 2019 3:57 pm

slumberjack wrote:
spacezignul wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
ym2612 wrote:
slumberjack wrote:every 909 (and 808) we hear is tweaked. i've been to a jeff mills gig lately jeez i would have begged him to stop hitting his 909 cause that sound comming straight out the box was ligthyears away from the 909 sounds that came with the tracks he was mixing. preamp, eq, verb and comp...
You could say that about any drum machine or synth that's been used in a track, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
it supposed to mean that the sound what we know to be 'this machine' is more likely heavy processed and (i'm sorry to say that) none of the drummachines sounds right out the box super fat. well you for sure don't have to agree with my statement.
When you say "we" you need to be a bit more specific. Not only people have very different experiences in regards to auditory experiences but also diferent experiences dealing with different pieces of equipment so no, the sound that "we" "know" is not the same for everyone
with 'we' i mean everybody which is familiar to electronic music from depeche mode to alphaville over a bronski beat (haw-haw) and almost everything that is played in the matter of disco, new wave, synth pop since over 30 years on the radio. in the supermarket. on the parking deck. well deck would the another context too: if you ever went to club dancing to wether old school rap music or get loved by the egyptian lover or techno or house, minimal or full-on ebm or mainstream, hearing a dj play, now or then, teheran or tel aviv or tenesse (well, not so sure about that last one) maybe then again there could also be a thing where a simple word like 'we' could be apropiate. :party:

edit:

forgot to post the link to this statement from 3:38 on til around 4:15.
(maybe just to remind myself the 'we' is at least 3 people more than myself)

[video][/video]
That "we" excludes quite a substantial part of the demographics of this forum, which unless I'm wrong consists not only of music aficionados but also, and mostly, people in the know in regards to how music is made and the equipment used to create that same music which is a completely different context to the one you are describing so saying that "we" know what a 909 sounds like from listening to a dj set is not quite the same as knowing what 909 sounds like in a studio environment... Anyway...

Richjk7
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Greensburg, PA

Post by Richjk7 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 am

For around $300 how could you have anything bad to say about the rd909?

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Thu May 16, 2019 6:59 am

Richjk7 wrote:For around $300 how could you have anything bad to say about the rd909?
:eek: :doh: :hmm: :cry: :bang: :help: :twisted: :despair: :ripbanana:

Not sure if I follow your reasoning though

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

Richjk7 wrote:For around $300 how could you have anything bad to say about the rd909?
I diss gear costing a lot less. E.g: Volcas. :twisted:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4284
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Richjk7 wrote:For around $300 how could you have anything bad to say about the rd909?
I could say how close it sounds to the machine that it pretends to mimic...then is your decision if the difference worth $300 or $3000



about dry/processed sounds: I heard a 909 in the flesh (with total disbelief on my part) and it blow me away with the sound of the most simple pattern...the feel of perfect mix and cohesion between the sounds was amazing...it sounded just perfect...I never achieved this with samples

so I expect this machine to capture this feeling, because the "close enough" picture is something simple to achieve with samples or modelling...the difference is not and maybe this is the magic on it

I never tried a Nava but maybe it have it too

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

the sad new is that no machine or whatever will ever be able to replicate that feeling... the 909 is a real piece of art :love:

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Panason wrote:
Richjk7 wrote:For around $300 how could you have anything bad to say about the rd909?
I diss gear costing a lot less. E.g: Volcas. :twisted:
well played

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5902
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:07 pm

you guys are refering here to "around 300$". Is this so ?
the unit seems quite big in size....thought it would be more expensive "then".


back then, i really liked "Rebirth", but i *really* had *nothing* to do with technoid music.............thoughts come to mind :hmm:


Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

[video][/video]

Mehringer have got some work to do...

You don't need to process the TR909 or this beast to rock the house!

spacezignul
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by spacezignul » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Nice.. Still sounds different tho :hihi:

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:11 pm

spacezignul wrote:Nice.. Still sounds different tho :hihi:
That's a modified version that lets you get outside of the range of the original 909, so yes, it sounds different.

The stock Nava sounds as 909 as I could hope for.

User avatar
WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by WaveRider » Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 pm

anselmi wrote: about dry/processed sounds: I heard a 909 in the flesh (with total disbelief on my part) and it blow me away with the sound of the most simple pattern...the feel of perfect mix and cohesion between the sounds was amazing...it sounded just perfect...I never achieved this with samples
THIS


I had a 909, and it is true with the 808 i.m.o. witch I also owned, a drum machine, especially analog! is not like using samples at all.

We probably heard more 909 sample sets on tracks than real 909 programmed in the flesh... overall

I was really sick of the 909 at some point, so overused, especially the HH, in over compressed versions to infinity in every (DJ) track...

I think both the 909 and 808 remakes by Uli are very good, but they make me realize how much I cringe when hearing them, but that means the sound is close to the originals... very

...I love the new sequencers and they will provide the modern beats that the originals could not make... that fast HH etc...

but when they will go on sale, we will hear many more tracks with those classic sounds and I'll get even more sick of them. Witch makes me think that I will rather go with their (planned) original model at some point.

...and to top that, I have an acidlab miami and some tt909 modules, and I use those in my tracks but the sound is different, I am never reminded of the 909 or 808 when I listen to my tacks :) I love that. The tt909 are closer, but kind of hifi, and more tweakable, so they sound great but not that authentic, call me crazy but I love that. Different enough for me that I do not get that flash from the past, seeing me back in 80ies 90ies programming my machines.... never. But just hearing the Berinhger demos brings me right back to that time. Witch I do not like because it's like I haven't moved in 30 years :hihi: ...


btw I tried to compliment Klaus at acidlab on some unrelated email exchange how I enjoyed that his Miami do not reming me of a 808 at all and I don't think he agreed :hihi:

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Thu May 16, 2019 11:27 pm

you can leave every instrument imaginable let be unprocessed and dry. you don't have to do anything either it's 909 or a acoustic guitar - but you can always to it's benefit (or loss if overdone). maybe it's more a choice people take into account regarding sounddesign and mixing skills vs. purity and rawness. i've done my music very raw for a long time now but my focus shifted on sculpting the tracks leaving maybe just 1 or 2 elements in a mix in it's straight out the box/synth state. regarding to a professional producer around me which opended my ears for mics, preamps, eqs and all that mojo and tricks to make a mix stand out and all the stuff sit in it's place embedded. which is no only a blessing tbh. sure if you take a 909 on stage for a live-act it'll set the roof on fire if you can play it. and this raw state is maybe what most of the users on muffs are using known to in their studios, bedrooms and pads.
but sure we're hearing while we are growing up music via radio/tv/youtube/mon/dad/theirrecordcollection/mp3/ipod not being some raw undergound 909 jack purist music more (over)produced sounds on all these channels and so it likely that our memory is more connected to processed sounds than the other way around (which could lead to a point later in life where soundnerds tend to subcounciously are overwhelming dry sound as sorta relief and fresh).

i'll stop here cause i've got OT.

tbh i don't care of any br-x0x does exactly sound the same as the original and i honestly think people shoud rather do music with it (...or a tr-08) than argue about that. for lotta humans it's a rediculus amount of money to spend to get a original and way out of their league so i'm happy the world is opening up with possibilities that are not only sample based or in module format. even if i never gonna buy one (i'm more in the system80 team).
you always have different options to take as your POV so this is mine.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”