5" Studio Monitor Thoughts

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TitoCas
Common Wiggler

5" Studio Monitor Thoughts

Post by TitoCas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 am

HI there,
I was wondering what you all think about these 3 monitor I'm looking for my home studio:

JBL LSR305 (116€)
KRK RP5 G3 (119€)
Presonus ERIS 5 (139€)
Adam T5V (169€)

I know JBL are very well spread around but, not well appreciated. KRK are well known for the "coloring" low frequencies (in a good way). Presonus have a nice kevlar cone, while Adam are glorified for their tweeter.

Would be nice to read opinions on these models or other you may suggest. This is forst time a buy studio monitors, so I don't have clue on how they sound, quality, etc.

Thanks for who may help
t\\
www.audiohacklab.org
www.brusionetlabel.net
www.mainoff.it

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am

I got the Eris 5. I bought it for the forward facing bass ports as they are sitting very close to a back wall. No real complaints at this price point but I did have to return one because the woofer was farting when playing a good analog kick.
The build quality is definitely chinese- for example, on one of my Eris 5s the plastic face at the front is not as flush with the cabinet as it is on the other.

They do the job. I can't comment on the sound as I have no reference to compare to and my rooom acoustics are yet to be tested. They are definitely better sounding (clearer , more precise etc) than my previous monitors (ESI near05) which cost about the same.

I bought them instead of the KRK because I read on a couple of reviews that the KRK have hyped-up bass.

Big blue light at the front is not to my taste and having the power switch at the back is awkward but seems to be hard to avoid with 5 inch monitors.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

I thought the JBL's were pretty much the consensus "best in price range"...at least it used to be that way. Seem to have the best reviews online.

corpusjonsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by corpusjonsey » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 am

I've been using a pair of JBL LSR2325P with the 10" sub and have had great results.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm generally a big JBL fanboy. But also look at the Yamaha monitors. I can't recall the model name, but the one with the white woofers that is not an NS10?
They seem pretty decent for the price.

RGB3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RGB3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm

I have the Presonus ERIS 5. I'm happy with them but the only other speakers I've had are spirit absolute 2s which I got rid of as they are passive so I can't comment on other models. the Presonus are definitely best heard nearfield (obviously I guess) and one thing is that the stereo image seems off kilter even when the volume and position/angle is identical on both speakers. but my room is untreated so it could be something to do with that. Also, more often than not, I can't help wondering what the low end would sound like with the 8" model. maybe worth considering.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 5" Studio Monitor Thoughts

Post by Funky40 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:14 pm

TitoCas wrote: JBL LSR305 (116€)
Presonus ERIS 5 (139€)
Adam T5V (169€)
i was just recently in the same boat.
these 3 have been the ones on my radar.
found the jbl305 mkI on a (last) sale and went with those. Great !! at least for my needs. totally like them ---> untreated room though !

i personally couldn´t find good enough infos on the T5V 2-3 month back to jump on those. ( totally prefer the adam ribbon for listen to my modular )
the JBL305 is absolutely awesome for the money ( again: untreated room) one of my best music purchases ever.
has anybody a tip for a smaller, more private place to surf euro modular or "experimental electronic music making " as such ?
Or is there a place where the "old" wigglers meet again? please PM me
its too big here, can´t handle the timeload any longer

TitoCas
Common Wiggler

Post by TitoCas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:07 am

10x guys!
Panason wrote:I got the Eris 5. I bought it for the forward facing bass ports as they are sitting very close to a back wall.
Same situation here: looking for front bass ports because of the wall.
Also, my room is not treated ....
www.audiohacklab.org
www.brusionetlabel.net
www.mainoff.it

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am

I have the 8-inch JBLs with the subwoofer and I’ve been very happy with them but if you have the money for Adams I would definitely get those. That’s what I’m aiming for next.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am

This thread made me pick up a pair of Genelec 8010A-s - though I did have a think about the JBLs.
Smaller than those mentioned (3" cone) but that seems about right for my particular usage (home setup).

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

TitoCas wrote: Same situation here: looking for front bass ports because of the wall.
Also, my room is not treated ....
my 305s sit quasi directly in front of the wall.

i read from i guy whom i trust that 10cm distance to the wall is enough.
assoon as you have the speakers sideways angled vs. the wall is 10cm really easy to reach ;)

i like my 305s *in my room* ( 15m2 / untreated ) overall more than my Adam A7X . just to say.
when i patch my modular do i have 1x 305 and 1x A7X building together a pair / :lol: ( my monitor stand is not finished yet for the A7X)

overall i like the bass and way of bassyness of the 305 much more in my room.
the A7X go lower and want to see more energy ( power/loudness) than how i usually listen, so......
its an interesting experience to have these two Monitors ( each as a pair) side by side.

i even go so far and´d say that it makes no sense to spend more for an untreated room.......at least not if it would hurt. ( leaving the fantastic ribbon tweeter out here, which *makes* a difference when patching weird noises with a modular ;) but not sooo much otherwise imo ).
disclaimer: i do not produce ! music making just for fun......
has anybody a tip for a smaller, more private place to surf euro modular or "experimental electronic music making " as such ?
Or is there a place where the "old" wigglers meet again? please PM me
its too big here, can´t handle the timeload any longer

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 pm

If you can order from Sweetwater, JBL 305P mk2s are on sale for $129 each

anomie
Common Wiggler

Post by anomie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:53 am

TitoCas wrote:HI there,
I was wondering what you all think about these 3 monitor I'm looking for my home studio:

JBL LSR305 (116€)
KRK RP5 G3 (119€)
Presonus ERIS 5 (139€)
Adam T5V (169€)

t\\
The tough answer is that it may depend on your room, or rather that the difference between those monitors will be insignificant compared to the difference between a treated and untreated room.

FWIW I've never liked KRKs, but have heard loads of stuff competently mixed on them. I liked the A7s I've heard in other spaces, but mixes on them sounded a little bass light in my room with 1030s.

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:31 am

Another thumbs up for the LSR305s here. Very natural sounding, even in my untreated room. The Adams sound nice, but I've only ever heard the T5Vs in a casual listening context, so I can't speak to if they're worth the extra cash for studio use. Not a fan of the KRK Bass sound, I did a radio show for years with G2s for monitoring and they were always kinda "flabby" imo.

TitoCas
Common Wiggler

Post by TitoCas » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:10 am

anomie wrote:
TitoCas wrote:HI there,

JBL LSR305 (116€)
KRK RP5 G3 (119€)
Presonus ERIS 5 (139€)
Adam T5V (169€)

t\\
The tough answer is that it may depend on your room, or rather that the difference between those monitors will be insignificant compared to the difference between a treated and untreated room.

FWIW I've never liked KRKs, but have heard loads of stuff competently mixed on them. I liked the A7s I've heard in other spaces, but mixes on them sounded a little bass light in my room with 1030s.
That's a good point. Maybe isn't worth it to spend money for something you can't actually appreciate, but it seems looking at what people say, that you can still ear KRK's enphasys on bottom end and the clear sound of high end on the ADAM.

Room treatment is a key factor, but seems that every monitor has a different character (color). Seems that there's a general consensus for the JBL, while ADAM still has a good appeal for the ribbon tweeter...

I was more prone to the KRK because I'll use it also for listen at music and I'll not take a sub also, while I'm also interested in the Adam ribbon... The pivotal point will be: I'll be able to listen to the differences in an untreated room?
www.audiohacklab.org
www.brusionetlabel.net
www.mainoff.it

Return to “General Gear”