Something new from Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:52 pm

oblis wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:18 pm

The maker also messaged and asked which “Dvina” font and faceplate I wanted and I chose a blocky, glossy version.

I ordered an inexpensive violin bow to get started...we’ll see how that goes :guinness:
I went with the same faceplate. To me it's the clear 'soma' look.

How inexpensive is inexpensive? Please report when you've had the chance to play around with it

User avatar
oblis
...sigh...
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by oblis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:37 pm

whyfarer wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:52 pm
How inexpensive is inexpensive?
I ordered a $50 usd carbon fiber bow off Amazon.

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:44 pm

Gotcha. I've been looking at used/old bows on the ebay. Like I said, I know nothing about bows but I like giving old things a new life and a new home...

I also posted on muff's WTB forum in case anyone here has extras that they're willing to part with

User avatar
bmot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 am
Location: Germany

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by bmot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:28 am

oblis wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:37 pm
whyfarer wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:52 pm
How inexpensive is inexpensive?
I ordered a $50 usd carbon fiber bow off Amazon.
I ordered a 50€ carbon fiber cello bow from gear 4 music. Works just fine with the DVINA. I played a bit of cello in the past which is why I went with that choice. Cello bows are designed for thicker strings so it just depends what strings you choose to use. Mine came with thick strings already attached and some spares in different guages.

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Is there a reason to want thicker (or thinner) strings when playing the dvina?

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by vnsc » Wed May 06, 2020 9:22 pm

Really love the idea and execution of this instrument, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it and peoples experiences with it. Seems like something that would go amazing with my hammered dulcimer and some modular (:
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Wed May 06, 2020 11:27 pm

I would love to share my dvina and modular experiments, but it seems as if I didn't get my payment to them before covid slowed things down. I think I'm now looking at an end of may shipment at best :sadbanana:

User avatar
InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Naples, Florida
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by InsectInPixel » Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 am

I just found out about this and I’m in love with that sound. I signed up for one. I’d be curious how it would sound through a rainmaker. Is there a DIY option?
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm

InsectInPixel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 am
I just found out about this and I’m in love with that sound. I signed up for one. I’d be curious how it would sound through a rainmaker. Is there a DIY option?
I haven't heard of any DIY options from SOMA, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned that may become available. EDIT: someone later in the thread has confirmed that there won't be a DIY option

In other news, I just got news from the builder that my Dvina is built! Shipping next week. I found a refurbished violin bow on ebay for under $50 shipped which arrived last week. it's coming together :yay:
Last edited by whyfarer on Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by freakynorth » Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm

I can’t wait to hear what people do with one of these!
Vlad is just killing it.

User avatar
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri May 15, 2020 5:29 pm

whyfarer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm
In other news, I just got news from the builder that my Dvina is built! Shipping next week. I found a refurbished violin bow on ebay for under $50 shipped which arrived last week. it's coming together :yay:
i guess i need to check in with SOMA!
i joined the wait list a long time ago.
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

User avatar
InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Naples, Florida
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by InsectInPixel » Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 pm

After I reserved, he confirmed then I asked if a diy version is being considered. There isn’t. I thanked him and let him know I was already on the pulsar 23 list.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Sun May 17, 2020 12:32 pm

deleted

User avatar
InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Naples, Florida
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by InsectInPixel » Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am

whyfarer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm
InsectInPixel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 am
I just found out about this and I’m in love with that sound. I signed up for one. I’d be curious how it would sound through a rainmaker. Is there a DIY option?
I haven't heard of any DIY options from SOMA, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned that may become available. EDIT: someone later in the thread has confirmed that there won't be a DIY option

In other news, I just got news from the builder that my Dvina is built! Shipping next week. I found a refurbished violin bow on ebay for under $50 shipped which arrived last week. it's coming together :yay:
Wonderful! It's so beautiful sounding.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

User avatar
whyfarer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: The Questioning Zones

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by whyfarer » Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 am

InsectInPixel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am
Wonderful! It's so beautiful sounding.
My dvina was actually dropped off at the post yesterday, showed up in EMS Russian Post tracking today. Anyone have an over/under on how long it takes a large item to ship from Moscow to Seattle during the covid-19 pandemic? I'm thinking 2weeks. I apologize for spamming this thread with my order updates, but I will make and post some demos once it's here to make up for it.

User avatar
blipson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 pm
Location: 光仔
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by blipson » Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am

I went with a violin bow because they’re longer, so more sustain before you have to reverse direction. Also, no cello bows conveniently available. One thing that’s bothering me: I really want to play it pizzicato, but then you get rosin. all over your fingers if you’ve been bowing it. Yet, I want to mix techniques and also be able to wiggle some knobs, which kind of sucks with rosin on your fingers.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by NoLegs » Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 am

Curious, how loud is it when it’s not amplified? For example if you were to play it while wearing headphones how loud would it sound to someone in the same room?

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 5938
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by strettara » Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 am

This looks and sounds amazing.
how soon is now

strettara.bandcamp
New EP: étude

Pure awesomeness: The Avant Garde Project

User avatar
oblis
...sigh...
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by oblis » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am

whyfarer wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 am
InsectInPixel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am
Wonderful! It's so beautiful sounding.
My dvina was actually dropped off at the post yesterday, showed up in EMS Russian Post tracking today. Anyone have an over/under on how long it takes a large item to ship from Moscow to Seattle during the covid-19 pandemic? I'm thinking 2weeks. I apologize for spamming this thread with my order updates, but I will make and post some demos once it's here to make up for it.
Ours must be in the same batch, received my tracking as well. I had a Rav Vast steel drum shipped via Russian Post last month from Perm to New Orleans and it took 16 days...it took 4 of those days to get from Perm to Moscow.

User avatar
blipson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 pm
Location: 光仔
Contact:

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by blipson » Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 am
Curious, how loud is it when it’s not amplified? For example if you were to play it while wearing headphones how loud would it sound to someone in the same room?
Unamplified, it's pretty damn quiet, and I love it. I can play without disturbing anyone (unless I want to disturb), and because it's so natural to keep your ear practically up against the neck, you can hear every nuance.

SaraClaros
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: Something new from Soma

Post by SaraClaros » Sat May 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Interesting.

[video][/video]
What a beautiful melody, it's such a sweet and soft sound

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”