New from Moog - Sirin

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New from Moog - Sirin

Post by lisa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

The Sirin is based on the sound engine of the legendary Moog Taurus—the foot pedal-operated synthesizer first released in 1973 and re-fashioned for the limited run Taurus III in 2010. But Moog's latest creation takes the deep low-frequency tones of its stellar predecessors as its start, and then continues to climb.
[video][/video]

New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 am

They could have called it Sister from another Taur...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 am

:hmm:

:despair:

EDIT:

Sirin is the first instrument in Moog’s Taurus family of bass synthesizers designed to generate pitches far above middle C, with an extended frequency range that reaches notes up to D8.

:tu:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am

Seclude yourself and let the music sweep you away. Seek to become newly aware of yourself, the world of nature around you, the people near you. And If you feel it, express yourself.

Introducing Sirin: Analog Messenger of Joy, a new instrument for creative expression that oscillates in the higher octaves of experience. Sirin is a limited-edition synthesizer module created in celebration of the Moog House of Electronicus and based on the legendary Moog Taurus sound engine.

Presented in the familiar compact form of the Moog Minitaur, Sirin is the first instrument in Moog’s Taurus family of bass synthesizers designed to generate pitches far above middle C, with an extended frequency range that reaches notes up to D8.

In this video, Nick Sanborn (Sylvan Esso, Made Of Oak) explores the power of sound using Sirin and DFAM analog synthesizers. Sanborn weaves multiplexed patterns of sound waves--translating the thoughts and feelings of the collective individual into a shared musical experience.

With the exception of the DFAM’s percussive analog backbeat, all sounds in this video come from Sirin. Nick Sanborn uses the free downloadable Sirin Editor Librarian software to automate and recall parameter settings as he layers multiple monophonic tracks from Sirin.

A limited production run of 2500 Sirin will be produced by the employee-owners at the Moog Factory in Asheville, NC--after which no more will be available. Sirin is available for order right now at www.mooghouseofelectronicus.com

Muse FTW
Common Wiggler

Post by Muse FTW » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:19 am

I dig it. Cool visual design definitely helps. Have been on a desktop synth binge in the last year and this one seems like a nice entry.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 am

moog house of electronicus?

sounds like a...church

btw, that´s a very rich hippie! :hihi:

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:32 am

spacezignul wrote:They could have called it Sister from another Taur...
Rolls right off the tongue.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am

AdamJay wrote:
Or just... "Sistaur".
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am

There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

rplktr wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
Or just... "Sistaur".

:doh:

This little Moog popup is coming to my neighborhood this weekend, and I've got a seat to swing by on Saturday afternoon. Figured I'd just play around with the DFAM or something, but now I'll get to give this little Sistaur a go, as well.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:08 pm

anselmi wrote:btw, that´s a very rich hippie! :hihi:
that's Nick Sanborn of Sylvan Esso ... I imagine he earns his living (and equipment) from his music.

he didn't look very hippie-ish when Sylvan Esso first started out. I guess success facilitates such things.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:31 pm

j_dowe wrote:
anselmi wrote:btw, that´s a very rich hippie! :hihi:
that's Nick Sanborn of Sylvan Esso ... I imagine he earns his living (and equipment) from his music.

he didn't look very hippie-ish when Sylvan Esso first started out. I guess success facilitates such things.
Just a joke ... not to be taken seriously

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:00 pm

A limited production run of 2500 Sirin will be produced by the employee-owners at the Moog Factory in Asheville, NC--after which no more will be available.
digitalganesha wrote:There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.
:tu:

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:11 pm

digitalganesha wrote:There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.
I hear ya, except unfortunately I am on the other side of the coin. I'm still kind of a Moog Fanboi. So this stupid little thing has me (right or wrongly) intrigued. And right away I went and looked at the order page to see how much :75: it was. I haven't ordered one, don't really need it (like a lot of the gear out there).

I have been actually waiting to see if they are ever going to release the Sub-Harmonicon for production. That would look good mounted with my DFAM and Mother 32's.

So good on you for getting out of the fray.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm

I figure for most synths 2,500 is a proper (plentiful) run, but I can see this become scarce with people who buy and stick it on a shelf waiting for the inevitable sell-out and price hike. $599 today, $1599 tomorrow. Thus is the way of our flipper-centric-culture.

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Nick Sanborn uses the free downloadable Sirin Editor Librarian software to automate and recall parameter settings
And just like its Mini little lower brother it seems that you have to have a laptop right there to use it completely.
My biggest complaint about my Minituar

Foghorn

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 pm

I love Moog, but they are just out of ideas & technology.

Everything is the same thing, base on basic waveforms from the 60's and a ladder filter.

Yeah it sounds great, but it's the same over and over !

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

-S.L- wrote:I love Moog, but they are just out of ideas & technology.

Everything is the same thing, base on basic waveforms from the 60's and a ladder filter.

Yeah it sounds great, but it's the same over and over !
:agree:

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Sorry wait what is the name again?? Siri? Siren? Sarin?... I think this thing just going to be known as that kind of minitaur with yellow or something colours.. Ah well :sadbanana:

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm

The other thing is... I think Moog is just being environmentally friendly here I guess.. You know using old parts, not letting things go to waste... Re-using, re-cycling.. Saving energy... That is commendable right :yay:

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Nick Sanborn uses the free downloadable Sirin Editor Librarian software to automate and recall parameter settings
And just like its Mini little lower brother it seems that you have to have a laptop right there to use it completely.
My biggest complaint about my Minituar

Foghorn
Yeah, I'm intrigued as to what's hidden in that editor but haven't found any info yet!
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Yes there is.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:09 pm

It's almost like Moog is simultaneosly the most overpriced synth stuff and the entry level.

After you get over Moog, you are free to just be in to sound design. Not 'phat Mooog Basss".

Is there really any difference between this and the Minitaur, aside from osc range?

OTOH, I applaud the new direction they are taking with panel graphics.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:21 pm

calaveras wrote: Is there really any difference between this and the Minitaur, aside from osc range?
that's what i'm wondering about. and does it lose any of its effectiveness in the bass range w/ the revamped oscillator?

i'd be tempted to trade my minitaur for it, but i'm afraid it's not worth the $$$ i'd lose in selling and buying...

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:05 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:I figure for most synths 2,500 is a proper (plentiful) run, but I can see this become scarce with people who buy and stick it on a shelf waiting for the inevitable sell-out and price hike. $599 today, $1599 tomorrow. Thus is the way of our flipper-centric-culture.
Maybe. I think you’re more likely than not going to be able to pick one up during next Black Friday for 15% or more off. It always happens.

Return to “General Gear”