New from Moog - Sirin

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:01 pm

digitalganesha wrote:There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.
I agree about this one, but I keep coming back to the Grandmother. It is truly a worthwhile instrument. I like DFAM and the other limited one from their workshop, but that made me a little angry that they didn't offer it outright. Everything else is a bit "samey".

On the other hand . . . Dreadbox. :sb:

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 am

Sirin is a Minitaur in a 'Primark' party frock.

From memory, the Minitaur's range went well above middle C. So much bollocks in one Sirin advert.

What's next - a Sub Phatty in a 'United Colours Of Beneton' tank top?

Having said that, and to prove hypocrisy is alive and well, I have a Moog Grandmother, and love it to bits.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:55 am

So this thing is basically a Minitaur that goes into higher octaves, revolutionary.

It even uses the exact same case and layout as the Minitaur. What did they do change a resistor inside to make it play higher notes, give it a new paint job and voila!

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:00 am

People complained the Minitaur didn't go high enough in lots of threads.

The Minitaur does have it's own sound that is a bit different than normal Moogs.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 am

I don’t think this is supposed to be a “big release” from Moog. 2500 units should tie up the factory until they release their next big thing at Moogfest.

That said, I don’t really need one. It’s not different enough from my Minitaur that I’d hit up Reverb. If I didn’t have a Minitaur I’d probably bite.

I do like the colors though. I know some people hate them, but it’s strong, easily recognizable branding that stands out from all the other low key visual schemes of the synth world.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 am

2500 is a lot. The Trax synth I got recently has a serial number under 150. I bet most if not all MFB and Dreadbox synths were made at less than 2500 per model.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 am

Couldn’t be more uninterested tbh. I guess it’s their cheapest mono that has range ? Cute little ltd run though, why not.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 am

IR wrote:I bet most if not all MFB and Dreadbox synths were made at less than 2500 per model.
The Erebus V2 probably sold 2500 or so worldwide. I got one of the last in July 2018, and it was no.2271.

As a Grandmother owner I like the colourful look of Sirin, but it seems to need a computer for many basic control functions, which kind of defies the point for me. Maybe a Minitaur owner could chime in here?

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 am

So much hate for a product that seems nice, i guess some people really think the world is waiting for their opinion.

Minitaur punches well above its weight in terms of functionality, sound and connectivity, so this seems a nice way to expand that range, and address comments that freq limiting the minitaur is leaving money on the table.

my only worry is the oscs for the minitaur were designed for low frequencies, so are these new oscillators and if so, have we lost some low end magic?
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:47 am

@hamildad

There isn't any hate at all here. There is lack of interrest for a product that we saw already in the past, there isn't drastic and crucial novelties here, nor on the design or the sound itself.

I love moog, I own 3 mother 32 for my System, I have the Model D as well, and the Sub37 (which I think is their best synth to date, it has its very own character and sounds nothing like anything else around), the last ONE synth is amazing but too expensive unfortunately.

BUT ,we are looking for new things, rather than the usual saw, square, sine, PWM into a ladder filter, that we can either replicate with any modules or simply already buy either from Moog themself, or competitors (sometimes cheaper)

Again, no hate, I love Moog, really.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am

hamildad wrote:So much hate for a product that seems nice, i guess some people really think the world is waiting for their opinion.

:hmm:
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

needto
Common Wiggler

Post by needto » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 am

Well the demo song is absolutely beautiful

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am

since when does an analog synth need to be designed for "notes above middle c"? a behringer model d for one third of the price will give you quality high and low frequencies and even sound really "authentic" moogish for free!

and likewise since when is 2500 units a limited run? all this is some marketing bs to cloud what this really is: another sort of moog circuit with a ladder filter ... but i like the new colorful design concept.

to remind you what you could do with this if it was designed for low frequencies, here is the cure in 1982 ...

[video][/video]
Last edited by lilakmonoke on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am

fwiw:

[video][/video]

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm

i just talked to moog hq about this. the plan is to continue until we have full global moog saturation, at which point they will come out with a state variable filter and "the first moog since 1968 that doesnt sound like a moog". way to go, robert!

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Looks like a neat little Moog, nothing new but still sounds nice. I wonder why they haven't done an official Moog Model D desktop unit. I am curious if they could get sued by behringer for doing so as backwards as that sounds. :hmm:

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Unpopular opinion maybe but this is actually interesting to me. It's a mini slim phatty now, kinda. Sounds great. Much bigger sound palette than the Minitaur and small footprint. I dig it.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:44 pm

The demo song sounded pretty cool and inspired, IMO. I have no desire to own one and I hate the "hipster all the things" marketing for it (so I guess there is some hate here, hamildad), but I think it looks and sounds pretty great.
Last edited by deftinwulf on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNSDG » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:54 pm

deftinwulf wrote:The demo song sounded pretty cool and inspired, IMO. I have no desire to own one and I hate the "hipster all the things" marketing for it (so I guess there is some hate here, hamildad), but I think it looks and sounds pretty cool.
Um sorry but you have the best avatar on MW
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 pm

great synth...lot of features, great sound

nobody complains about more stratocaster and les paul guitars, because they´re classic...and they are classic because they are great instruments for music making

same with moog...there´s a zillion other synths for other stuff, moog is for this classic factor that a lot of people wants

Emmanuel G.
Common Wiggler

Post by Emmanuel G. » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:07 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:Unpopular opinion maybe but this is actually interesting to me. It's a mini slim phatty now, kinda. Sounds great. Much bigger sound palette than the Minitaur and small footprint. I dig it.
Yep, ordered one yesterday, it's pretty, I actually like the midi CC/software control

And if I need oscillators that go as low as I need, there's still good stuff in my modular rack that'll do the job just fine.

shouldn't be too difficult to have it do paraphonic stuff also

I was always "anti-software", but nowadays, even I have to admit, software stuff has come a long way when it comes to connectivity and practicality, especially when integrating true analog hardware.

I remember when I started recording stuff, any analog piece of gear would cost thousands, $600 for that one is fine, certainly not the cheapest, nor the most expensive.
For an instrument that is inspiring to me, that's fine, I'd rather get that than say a deepmind 12 for example.

and I actually was shopping for a digitone when I pulled the trigger on the sirin.

doesn't have to be rational

I don't mind the overplayed ladder filter sound, in the end, it won't prevent me from doing original music.

much <3

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:32 pm

I think anybody who orders this will be pretty happy with it. I have the Minitaur and it's inspired a lot of music, despite its limited nature. It has a beautiful creamy sound that fits so well into the mix.

Having said that, I am still disappointed with the Sirin. It could have been so much more. Those hidden parameters are really useful and I have found it impossible to memorize all the shift combo buttons. How difficult would it be to add a few more buttons to the panel?

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm

GNSDG wrote:Um sorry but you have the best avatar on MW
Aw, thanks! :mrgreen: I spent wayyy too much time making it, but it's nice to know that someone appreciates it. :party:

dj2sday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dj2sday » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 pm

I don't like the no screen stuff. The miniature sounded great but the under the hood second function button pressing thing made it hard to get what I wanted. I never really knew where I stood. maybe a dumb thing to complain about but it just bothered me. Otherwise this looks neat!

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 am

I think it's a good idea to release a simple product like this, at a lower price point, when most of their resources are tied up with the ONE

the Minitaur is a great sounding synth: I had no idea it was fettered below a certain freq when I bought it. Was a bit disappointed, but since I bought it to use exclusively for BASS, it was no big deal

I wonder if the minitaur is upgradeable? would be nice

Also if you stacked 6x Sirin's together for a poly, could you change the hidden features on all of them simul?

Return to “General Gear”