New from Moog - Sirin

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm

umma gumma wrote:I think it's a good idea to release a simple product like this, at a lower price point, when most of their resources are tied up with the ONE
the downside (IMO), is that the world may never see a wider release of the Subharmonicon.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:02 pm

anselmi wrote:great synth...lot of features, great sound

nobody complains about more stratocaster and les paul guitars,
I'll gladly complain about more non limited "limited release anniversary reissue" strats and pauls. Can't stand the sight of those things. Anything PRS as well. I think I am still damaged from my guitar years. Yay for more Moog though :minimoog:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:02 pm

oops x2 post
Last edited by umma gumma on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:03 pm

j_dowe wrote:
umma gumma wrote:I think it's a good idea to release a simple product like this, at a lower price point, when most of their resources are tied up with the ONE
the downside (IMO), is that the world may never see a wider release of the Subharmonicon.
sure we will, I think they are just tied up with the ONE

the Sirin is an easy R&D task & a simple dev for a new product; makes sense to me. Gets them some revenue and keeps the product releases rolling

Grapepickle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grapepickle » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:18 pm

this thing looks so cool

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 am

digitalganesha wrote:There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.
Exactly. I don't miss the Minitaur (or the other Moog gear) one bit either and this looks like a bad paintjob Minitaur with higher notes included...could have done with PWM added...although they did had hard sync as a firmware update (I sold mine long before that).

Anyhow, as everything that says Moog on it, the actual sound and capabilities, is not worth the asking price for me.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Taurus pedals were the prettiest sounding Moog I ever had.
If you got ears...
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:
digitalganesha wrote:There's something oddly relieving and liberating about not being interested in Moog anymore.
I hear ya, except unfortunately I am on the other side of the coin. I'm still kind of a Moog Fanboi. So this stupid little thing has me (right or wrongly) intrigued. And right away I went and looked at the order page to see how much :75: it was. I haven't ordered one, don't really need it (like a lot of the gear out there).

I have been actually waiting to see if they are ever going to release the Sub-Harmonicon for production. That would look good mounted with my DFAM and Mother 32's.

So good on you for getting out of the fray.
Yeah I love Moog, always curious in their releases. Ditto on the subharmonicon, i am most interested in that Mother32 form factor.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:14 pm

nectarios wrote:Anyhow, as everything that says Moog on it, the actual sound and capabilities, is not worth the asking price for me.
Moog has positioned itself as a premium brand rather than compete on price. Given Behringer's market entrance and sales tactics, it's hard to disagree with that decision.

Items that have only limited mass-market appeal such as the Subharmonicon may be a way forward for Moog. Which is a partly a roundabout way of saying I want one as well...

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 am

echoing what other people have said: this is uninspired rehashed and boring. splashing a bit of color on it to freshen it up is pretty transparent.

aside from the sub37, the only moog i've ever been interested in is the subharmonicon. release it moog, people want it.

Goldenage2012
Common Wiggler

Love the Taurus sounds

Post by Goldenage2012 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Not sure how to go about this,
In one hand I owned all the moog mono’s at one point and the minitaur was definitely my favorite, it has a tone that it’s so unique and enjoyable.
I always wanted them to make a full synth with the same oscillators and filter of the minitaur because how nice it sounds, however this sirin and whatever they say it couldn’t be done with a firmware update on the minitaur, it’s not so easy to swallow.
They could even charge 50 to 100 bucks for an update to the minitaur but I guess they didn’t want to bite their tongue because of wthat was said before.
Maybe it’s really not possible to update it via firmware, what you guys think?

It’s hard to believe because we see all this companies using this strategy of milking their own technology and leaving out important features to sell in other products (elektron for example).

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 pm

milking their own technology and leaving out important features to sell in other products (elektron for example)
well put! exactly the reason why i dont buy elektron. after the machinedrum v1 i mailed them about updating the firmware to that incredibly stupid sequencer and they replied they will never improve it, i should buy the octatrack. after that im out for good!

likewise all the unfinished eurocrack modules that are being followed by version 2 immediately ...

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 am

lilakmonoke wrote:

likewise all the unfinished eurocrack modules that are being followed by version 2 immediately ...
hello Erica Synths :evil:

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Love the Taurus sounds

Post by j_dowe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 am

Goldenage2012 wrote:Maybe it’s really not possible to update it via firmware, what you guys think?
that's the magical question. is it really a different oscillator, and if so does the minitaur still have some advantages.

if it is the same exact physical construction they should be able to just update the firmware.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm

Moog has turned into Porsche.
Not the best, but pretty good.
Consistently rehashing an old design.
Costs too much.
Middle aged guys haven't met one that is too expensive.
Leather bomber jackets abound.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 am

I played around with the new little Moog at the pop up last weekend. Wasn't at all blown away by it. It's fine, but nothing even remotely new or interesting, sadly. Looks cute, and the price isn't too horrible, but there are far better monos with more interesting features at that price or lower. Not my cup of tea, for sure.

I didn't touch the One, for different reasons. I didn't want to hear it. I don't even want to experience it in real life for fear it's all I will lust over for the next several 36-48 months same as cash sales at Sweetwater. I did my little workshop with the DFAM, had a blast with Bana Haffar (she was great), and Sascha Dikiciyan along with a few other folks and got lost in a good thirty+ minute jam session with seven synced DFAMs with the group. Good fun. Made me crave for a DFAM something fierce.

Yeah, Sirin is an easy pass from me, but I still love me some Moog, Porsche fashion line or not... Still have some killer instruments I love.... Just I can't play with the One. I'm not allowed.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 am

This one turned up without a knob; never seen that on a brand new synth before, though some of the knobs on my Behringer Model D were melted. :eek: Don't know the full story here, of course, but if that happened at the Moog factory it's a serious QA issue. Comes after all these tales of detached reverb tanks on the Grandmother as well. I should add my GM was fine.

[video][/video]

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 am

I was interested when preorders in the UK were £477, but today the cheapest is £619. Easy pass at that price.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 am

houndington wrote:I was interested when preorders in the UK were £477, but today the cheapest is £619. Easy pass at that price.
Yeah. I only paid £100 more than that for a new Grandmother.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 pm

kindredlost wrote:
I agree about this one, but I keep coming back to the Grandmother. It is truly a worthwhile instrument. I like DFAM and the other limited one from their workshop, but that made me a little angry that they didn't offer it outright. Everything else is a bit "samey".

On the other hand . . . Dreadbox. :sb:
I like what I hear from the Grandmother, for sure. It's one of the best sounding modern Moog products. But call me a "seasoned-old-fuck" ( :hihi: ) - isn't the Grandma as bare essentials as a synth can get for Moog? Which is why making this box of "anti-effort" AND basing it upon the 'Taur line even though it's mission is nothing to do with bass.... just confuses and irritates me to no end.

I'm glad you brought up the DFAM. That thing should be studied hard by the R&D team, because it is (for me) the best sounding synth Moog has done in the last ten years. The DFAM is a raw, living, gooey and abrasive synthesizer. Wonderful.

My main analog instrument for the last 15 years is the Voyager. It's my instant 'go-to' synth. I really do love it, even with its limitations. I also own a Sub37, which I love/hate. I like it in paraphonic mode, but hate many aspects of it's always saturated (not in a good way) tone. I personally enjoyed the Little Phatty Stage II much better. I think I would really get along with the Subsequent, but refuse to sell and then purchase the new version of the synth that came out not even a year after I bought the "MK I."
I miss the ballsy fun time of Moog, back when they made insane things like the MP-201... I'm still just at surface level with that thing.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Love the Taurus sounds

Post by boxxgrooved » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Goldenage2012 wrote:i always wanted them to make a full synth with the same oscillators and filter of the minitaur because how nice it sounds, however this sirin and whatever they say it couldn’t be done with a firmware update on the minitaur, it’s not so easy to swallow.
).
After listening to the demos I would say there is some different circuitry going on under the hood of the Sirin and not just a firmware upgrade so to speak. To me the Sirin sounds less beefy in the bottom end compared to the Minitaur although I can't say for sure not having tested one in the flesh, maybe others who have used both could chime in but it does seem to have a thinner tone yet still pleasant.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:26 pm

rowsbywoof wrote: I didn't touch the One, for different reasons. I didn't want to hear it. I don't even want to experience it in real life for fear it's all I will lust over for the next several 36-48 months same as cash sales at Sweetwater.
The opposite can occur too... I had convinced myself to actually spend the money, then heard the noise floor in person... ouch. However, that may have been fixed in an update. Haven't checked due to talking myself out of One.
rowsbywoof wrote: I did my little workshop with the DFAM, had a blast with Bana Haffar (she was great), and Sascha Dikiciyan along with a few other folks and got lost in a good thirty+ minute jam session with seven synced DFAMs with the group.
Holy SHIT. :eek: That had to sound F'N incredible.... !

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Just a little heads up. SW and GC do have them for pre-order now too.

PoopMonster666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PoopMonster666 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:47 pm

It’s always just bread and butter from Moog zz

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm

I missed on the blowout pricing last year on Minitaurs (including white ones which I'm sore about but ~) so I was rather happy with this announcement. I didn't realize the initial batch was sold direct and missed out on it but was able to grab some from Sweetwater.
It is beyond spartan in construction, barely deburred folded chassis, stickers instead of silk screened labeling, that's the long and short of my disappointment. Quite pleased with behavior in the extended range. This is going in my grab-and-go rig for jams and lives on my nord combo organ at home.

e- If they need to crank stuff like this out to pay for development on things like the One, then keep 'em coming. Every Sin City needs a Spy Kids to pay for it.

Return to “General Gear”