Arturia MicroFreak

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

subbasshead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by subbasshead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Could someone who owns a MicrFreak please check something for me?
Is the external power supply 110-230volt?

A: yes
Last edited by subbasshead on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:12 am

windchill wrote:I ignored the Microfreak when it came out, having zero interest in a cheap, digital synth from Arturia, but after lisa mentioned it in a thread about Eurorack controllers I took another look and realised the thing was an absolute no-brainer. For very little money I now have an additional, very capable sequencer and arpeggiator (with more memories and additional features to the Keystep) and a capacitive keyboard with pressure output which is far more reliable and responsive than my 2 MN Pressure Points ever were.

As a bonus I get a digital synth as well. I don't think I'll use this very much and I do find the sounds rather sterile - but it's potentially useful as an addition to my Eurorack and certainly a lot of fun as a portable synth when travelling. Mine works perfectly with a usb battery pack.

I've no complaints at all - highly recommended.

(It would of course be even better if it had 2 sets of cv outputs for duophonic use.... but you can't have everything.)
That's kind of how I've come to look at it (from the outside).

So you find it expressive when patched into modular gear as a controller?

I currently use a Microbrute and Doepfer Ribbon (along w/ sequencers) as my main Euro controllers.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

lisa wrote:The MicroFreak is quite expressive as a eurorack controller.

Wow :woah:
the Microfreak makes sense to me now.
Btw cool intro for a BM album!

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Good to see positive comments about Microfreak as a controller keyboard. I recently went ahead and bought a license for Arturia's Buchla Easel V (after finally accepting that I will never possess a hardware version ...$$$) and when I saw the MF keyboard it dawned on me that it might do as a stand in for the Easel touch keyboard. In fact I can't help but wonder if there wasn't some inspiration coming out of Arturia's Easel V project.

Hoping to get mine soon, and looking forward to it's own synth capabilities as well.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:03 am

I'm having a ton of trouble with stuck notes and inconsistent Note Off messages when using USB MIDI, whether running off wall wart power or USB power (doesn't seem to matter). Brand new Microfreak with latest firmware installed. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to return it as these issues make it unusable as a USB MIDI controller. I don't think it has anything to do with the power configuration; I've searched around and apparently other people have similar issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... uck_notes/

The deeper I dig, the more I read that Arturia seems to have similar issues across quite a few devices. I don't understand why they seem to have repeated some MIDI implementation blunders so many times... I wish I had seen this info sooner. It's a bummer, as it was my dream to have a tiny controller which could also receive polyphonic MIDI data as a synth. :confused:

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:42 am

soon_come...

I wonder if this issue would affect using it as usb controller for arturia's standalone version of Buchla Easel V. I have hoped I can use it to simulate the easel's touch keyboard. Sounds like that might not be so simple.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 am

I have no idea. I haven't tried to test it via regular MIDI (on the 3.5mm ports) yet, mainly because the whole idea was to have one cable for data I/O and power. It's a huge bummer.

My guess is that most people aren't using it as a USB MIDI controller, so this probably isn't getting that much attention. Unfortunately, that's my primary use case. If I can't return it (due to throwing away the packaging), you may well see this listed in the For Sale forum. :roll:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 am

Orange wrote:

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8l4tl76T9Rc[/video]
Nice crotch shot there at the end too. :tu:

Youtube led me to this video which also sounds real good. I think if the bugs are seemingly gone I will buy at such a great price (finally):
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEje6eCB11k[/video]

Also - wondering if anyone has any experience running the Freak through a pedal train. Any level issues, etc.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Re: Arturia MicroFreak

Post by soon_come » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 am

Can someone please try to replicate the behavior described here via USB MIDI while powered via USB?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=225108

I'd love to hear whether this can be reproduced or not. It really reeks of a firmware bug to me rather than faulty hardware, but I have no way of knowing without trying a second one.

TL;DR = connect the Microfreak via USB (no external power) to a host, and see if playing MIDI notes triggers notes (MIDI "note on" signal responsive) but not of the correct pitch when you change keys, playing one key at a time. Try to power cycle it a few times and see if it's reliable. For example, play C5 a few times, then play D5 and see if it does send D5 right away as it should.

Thanks in advance! :sb:

Flounderguts
Common Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm

The update has some pretty cool new stuff....!
----------------------

Flounderguts

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 am

Orange wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks! :love:
Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm
The update has some pretty cool new stuff....!
Oh, I didn’t know. Some nice new functions, no doubt. I’ll update tonight.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... k/overview
A decidedly dirty, cogitated modular beat and more than a spattering of cello. 🐾🎻

timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:15 am

I’m loving the updates with the quantisation and chords, especially together at the same time, instant diatonic chords. Brilliant fun.
In fact it’s so great that I’m feeling utterly dismayed that none of it goes to the midi out. It would turn this into a wonderfully useful controller to me. :doh:

Also, couldn’t they have let you save the chord with the patch? Would have been even better for creative sound design. Sigh.

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:51 am

soon_come wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 am
Can someone please try to replicate the behavior described here via USB MIDI while powered via USB?

I'd love to hear whether this can be reproduced or not. It really reeks of a firmware bug to me rather than faulty hardware, but I have no way of knowing without trying a second one.

TL;DR = connect the Microfreak via USB (no external power) to a host, and see if playing MIDI notes triggers notes (MIDI "note on" signal responsive) but not of the correct pitch when you change keys, playing one key at a time. Try to power cycle it a few times and see if it's reliable. For example, play C5 a few times, then play D5 and see if it does send D5 right away as it should.

Can someone please confirm or deny this behavior with the new 2.0 firmware? I’d love to rejoin the party if they’ve gotten their act together!

timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 am

soon_come wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:51 am
soon_come wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 am

Can someone please confirm or deny this behavior with the new 2.0 firmware? I’d love to rejoin the party if they’ve gotten their act together!
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I've just tried plugging (and powering) my Microfreak into the PC via USB and checking the MIDI triggering into Kontakt and FM8. They both worked absolutely fine, no misreading of the notes at all. Fast playing, repeated notes, legato slurring from one note to another all worked fine. Maybe I'm lucky living in a low humidity city, or maybe you did indeed have a dud unit?

soon_come
Common Wiggler

Post by soon_come » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks timjim, appreciate it!

It was not a physical issue as far as I could tell (nothing to do with humidity or anything like that). It was always perfectly reproducible in the same exact way during each boot session (no matter how slowly I played), so I was pretty much convinced it was just a software bug. Now I'm thinking maybe it truly was a faulty unit. But what a weird way for it to fail, as a brand new item.

timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 am

soon_come wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 pm
Thanks timjim, appreciate it!

It was not a physical issue as far as I could tell (nothing to do with humidity or anything like that). It was always perfectly reproducible in the same exact way during each boot session (no matter how slowly I played), so I was pretty much convinced it was just a software bug. Now I'm thinking maybe it truly was a faulty unit. But what a weird way for it to fail, as a brand new item.
no problems soon_come, I'd say I got lucky with my unit, but then I got a line of dead pixels on the screen of my microfreak a few months after getting it, so it seems there's all manner of ways these things can go wrong :confused:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am

lisa wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:55 am
The MicroFreak is quite expressive as a eurorack controller.

This is so good! :sb:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by lisa » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:52 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am
lisa wrote:

Thanks! :oops:
A decidedly dirty, cogitated modular beat and more than a spattering of cello. 🐾🎻

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 am

lisa wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:52 pm
orangehexagon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am
lisa wrote:

Thanks! :oops:
Very cool to hear it in a subtle voice.

I would like to see someone with just two Microfreaks, a couple of pedal trains and a PA.

These are so affordable, I would like to buy a second (after I get my first soon) just to experiment with a closed system.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 am

...snip...

I would like to see someone with just two Microfreaks, a couple of pedal trains and a PA.

These are so affordable, I would like to buy a second (after I get my first soon) just to experiment with a closed system.
I really love Arturia's Demo with the guy (wish I knew his name) playing at a venue in southern France with nothing but a DrumBrute Impact and 3 MicroFreaks. I could listen to that jam all day.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:41 am

Just picked up a 2nd hand microfreak the other day. Really enjoying it so far. Upgraded to fw 2, wiped all presets and made 20-some presets so far.

Return to “General Gear”