Crave - $199 Synth from Behringer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

tenembre
Common Wiggler

Post by tenembre » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 am

dubonaire wrote:
tenembre wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
a lot of people are critical of Behringer for many reasons and they have every right to express that criticism. That's not group bullying. Group bullying is when 20 people jump on a forum user for holding a particular view, or maybe a sex offender etc where it becomes a burn the witch scenario. I agree with Muzone that mob mentality exists in social media, Facebook is the worst. But there can also be cases where many people hold a negative view for legitimate reasons.
All you're really saying here is that the views that you consider legitimate are not mob mentality, and the ones you don't consider legitimate are.
If you mean criticism I think is legitmate then in some ways yes. Legitimate criticisms should be freely expressed in public and not shouted down or labelled group bullying etc, whether I agree with them or not.

If you mean views I agree with, then no. I'm not saying that at all. I don't really care if Behringer teases and doesn't release, it doesn't really bother me at all, particularly because I have no desire to buy anything it has teased. I like to discuss Behringer because I find it interesting and although there are several things about the company I don't like and I've said so, I'm not a mob-mentality hater. You will see me defend its China operations aspect in other threads.

What I see as mob mentality posting is when people join threads and don't even read the thread before jumping on the criticism bandwagon, which happened in this thread after a mildly critical post, waving mob mentality placards about that one post.
I don't entirely agree with your reading of that post or of the subsequent thread, but it does seem to me that bandwagon behavior happens as often in criticism of Behringer as it does in criticism of criticizing Behringer.

And with that, I just ran out of Meta for today.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 am

tenembre wrote:but it does seem to me that bandwagon behavior happens as often in criticism of Behringer as it does in criticism of criticizing Behringer.

And with that, I just ran out of Meta for today.
Yes I guess I can agree with that and I'm out of meta too :)

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 am

dubonaire wrote:
If you mean criticism I think is legitmate then in some ways yes. Legitimate criticisms should be freely expressed in public and not shouted down or labelled group bullying etc, whether I agree with them or not.

What I see as mob mentality posting is when people join threads and don't even read the thread before jumping on the criticism bandwagon, which happened in this thread after a mildly critical post, waving mob mentality placards about that one post.
But this is EXACTLY what i was refering to.
In this case, I was refering to this mob mentality towards individuals who express different opinions regarding Behringer. Not towards Behringer itself. Too many times we've seen here, and even more so on other forums, people being insulted for supporting modern day slavery or whatever for buying and using their products. The good old analogue vs digital or mac vs PC threads don't even bring that kind of heated attitude in debates. Again, i find this phenomenon interesting, on a social observation point of view.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 am

tenembre wrote:but it does seem to me that bandwagon behavior happens as often in criticism of Behringer as it does in criticism of criticizing Behringer.
THIS.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

Chopper wrote:
THIS.
Yeah you don't get it, he's also criticising you dude.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:15 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Chopper wrote:
THIS.
Yeah you don't get it, he's also criticising you dude.
You still don't get what i meant, yet keep on saying you do, dude. The irony.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

You do not get what i meant , fairplay. I give up. That doesn't mean you can elaborate further on intentions and positions i didn't have to start with. We are now both having the dynamic i was referring a few posts ago. This is surreal and sadly a good exemple of what i was trying to say.. again, nevermind.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Kind of tempted to pick one up just as a cheap MIDI to CV converter which happens to come with a free synth. Could easily spend more than this on a single-purpose MIDI to CV Eurorack module.
Avant Garde a clue

Funch

Post by Funch » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm

dubonaire wrote: What I don't find tiresome is companies although I couldn't really care either way because I'm not interested in buying Behringer products.
then why do you spend so much time arguing the same points on Behringer threads? Just curious.

There was a thread where all these issues about Behringer could be aired, but it was locked for some reason. I think it was called "why I hate Behringer". Not saying you do because I believe you have stated that you dont hate Behringer. Just saying,all this hijinx could have existed on that thread instead of clogging up every Behringer thread.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 pm

I did a sound comparison with the Mother32. Its pretty darn close!

[video][/video]
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Man you'd weren't kidding. They both sound pretty similar to each other.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:53 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:Man you'd weren't kidding. They both sound pretty similar to each other.
Considering it's a rip off of the Mother 32, I'd hope they'd be similar sounding.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:
jdaddyaz wrote:Man you'd weren't kidding. They both sound pretty similar to each other.
Considering it's a rip off of the Mother 32, I'd hope they'd be similar sounding.
according to behringer the oscillator is the 3340, so at this level both synths are different, but the filter is a classic ladder design (model-d maybe) so this should be the stage that makes it sound moog-ish

the panel layout and feature set is identical, with very little to make a difference

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 pm

ludotex wrote:I did a sound comparison with the Mother32. Its pretty darn close!

[video][/video]
Great work !
it just came 4-5 days too late for me.
Just having a mother32 coming in ;)

I read online that the crave should be a mother ripp off but couldn´t belive it.
I went thru demos on YT ! But nothing was giving me the impression that the Crave has anything to do with the Mother soundwise.
Now, my impression stands corrected.

There were 1 or 2 occasions in your video where the mother would shine well over the Crave.
To me its about the subtleties when it comes to the Moog sound,
and so far, from YT demos, was i under the impression that the Mother 32 is on par with the best Moog sound that is to have.
Myself NOT a Moog fan since Bob took off into other dimesions......and NOT affordable for me bevore.

I´ll see.
Just, the amount what one gets with the Mother vs. the $ seems immense !
it even feels like plasphemy to ask for more/smaller price.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Funch

Post by Funch » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 pm

The moog sounds richer and fuller.

When you played the third tone on the moog, I looked at my hand and liquid metal started creeping up my arm, so I'd go with the mother32. :party:

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:55 am

I agree with you guys that the mother has that extra shine on top in the end.
And I am keeping the mother32 over the Crave.
But for someone that want a first analog semi modular, i think the Crave is hard to beat for the price.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

motum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by motum » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:59 am

One might as well get both. I will probably add the Crave to my m32 & dfam. Would open a possibility to create two synth voices which could be polyrythmic... Add some delay on top...

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 am

ludotex wrote:I did a sound comparison with the Mother32. Its pretty darn close!

[video][/video]
Excellent video! Thanks for that 8-)

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Yeah the Moog sounds slightly more "3D" but damn the Crave is so close :hmm:

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Does the Moog have the 72(is it?) "storage slots" for the user sequences? For me, that would make a/the difference.

Funch

Post by Funch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm

RickKleffel wrote:Does the Moog have the 72(is it?) "storage slots" for the user sequences? For me, that would make a/the difference.
I think its 8 banks of 8 presets for each bank but i'd to check the manuel.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Re: Crave - $199 Synth from Behringer

Post by seta666 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm

I just bought one of these, as I already own a DFAM and there is so many patches combining DFAM/M32 it was a cheap alternative to do those patches. The sustain knob and arpeggiator are a nice addition and this thing is fun. But I found some quirks I would like to share

- First the filter; DFAM filter is better, period. The behaviour of the crave in LP mode is quite simillar but specially when sweeping the moog one shines.

In HP mode the crave filter is quite poor, it is not a true HP filter, it does the trick with low resonance but with high resonance is more like ussing a high Q/Gain eq looking for unwanted resonances. Still is better than nothing.

- Second; the CV gate does not seem to work when using the arp, seems like a bug but I just could play with ut a couple of hours.

The osc is perfectly fine, feeding it to the ext input of DFAM to be used as a 3rd OSC and using DFAm filter makes it sound sweet. I also tried feeding 0-coast oscillator into it, one into the fm input and the other in the ext input. Lots of fun.

For the price you pay you get a lot

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by 3hands » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Panason wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am
I'm really sorry

This is my favourite picture on the internet right now hahaha!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “General Gear”