Crave - $199 Synth from Behringer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNSDG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Panason wrote:
I really don’t do anything that esoteric, but I’m finding the extent of voltage control (or its digital equivalent)—not physical modularity—the limiting factor in moving away from Euro
I suppose you're talking about analog synths here. Most MIDI equipped synths that are not garbage have MIDI control of synthesis parameters but there are probably not enough decent analogue synths with both plenty of knobs AND full MIDI control..
Sure, that's fair. I have a Europa'd JP-6 and could probably do 85% of what I'd do with Euro synth voices with the JP-6 via external MIDI. But what I really would like is some kind of external mod matrix that allows me to route all those parameters to each other... it's sort of perverse in a way to be limited to *external* modulation and sequencing.
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 pm

a100user wrote:
werock wrote:Seems strange having a switch for VCF modulation polarity, when that could have been done with a reversing attenuator.
Maybe having one pot different for the others would have broken the $199 price point?
Just an fyi (not trying to be pedantic)
Attenuvertors are done via circuitry, they use the same pots as everything else.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 am

pre55ure wrote:
a100user wrote:
werock wrote:Seems strange having a switch for VCF modulation polarity, when that could have been done with a reversing attenuator.
Maybe having one pot different for the others would have broken the $199 price point?
Just an fyi (not trying to be pedantic)
Attenuvertors are done via circuitry, they use the same pots as everything else.
Generally that is true as each side of the pot goes to the +/- rails but if you want a center dent then it’s a different item.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:21 am

Prediction for next NAMM: Behringer will knock off something that has been in development for a year by another company and release it before the actual innovators do.

Or is this deja vu?

Can't wait for the Behringer Buchla!!!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 am

MindMachine wrote:Prediction for next NAMM: Behringer will knock off something that has been in development for a year by another company and release it before the actual innovators do.
maybe...

by now it seems that they´re focused in bother Roland the most, since they (Roland) just released the SH-5 filter module...yeah, different formats but having so many synths to purchase and show, they decided to get one of this? too much coincidence...I think they´re really enjoying it

[video][/video]

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:58 am

Yes it is becoming obvious. The ulinator is craving for some mother love. :miley:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 am

GNSDG wrote: But what I really would like is some kind of external mod matrix that allows me to route all those parameters to each other... it's sort of perverse in a way to be limited to *external* modulation and sequencing.
In 2030 we will finally see the successor to MIDI, with devices and software offering these things without pathetic lag and low resolution leading to stepping.

Maybe in another dimension where corporate entities finally realised ruthless competition and corner cutting are not the best practices.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 am

Panason wrote:
GNSDG wrote: But what I really would like is some kind of external mod matrix that allows me to route all those parameters to each other... it's sort of perverse in a way to be limited to *external* modulation and sequencing.
In 2030 we will finally see the successor to MIDI, with devices and software offering these things without pathetic lag and low resolution leading to stepping.

Maybe in another dimension where corporate entities finally realised ruthless competition and corner cutting are not the best practices.

to bring this back around on topic, it's an amazing trick that behringer can appear to do both. it's an anomaly these days which makes them exciting. good for them.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 am

boxxgrooved wrote:I think Behringer did a good job with the Neutron even going to the extent of including mixers and multiples and the 0-Coast has pretty much everything brought out to the front panel but I agree there is always something lacking in semi-modular designs whether it be just a simple mixer or vc resonance or he ability to pan etc.
The major O-Coast flaw in that regard is the lack of an external input to the waveshaper.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:Yes it is becoming obvious. The ulinator is craving for some mother love. :miley:
:lol: :hail:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:18 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:Yes it is becoming obvious. The ulinator is craving for some mother love. :miley:
He doesn't need it. He's already laughing all the way to the bank.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Bar.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bar. » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Personally the sooner a release date for this is confirmed the better.
Then I can broach the awkward subject of selling she synths to get this and an audio interface with my wife :hihi:

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:57 pm

If it’s indeed a M32 copy, I hope they’ve made the sequencer more intuitive. Then I’d dump my moog in a heartbeat.

brokensolderingiron
Common Wiggler

Post by brokensolderingiron » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:26 pm

dthorn wrote:
It's nice if you want exactly zero modulation. Finding the zero point on an attenuvertor is a pain in the arse.
No its not, all there is two back to back diodes .

dthorn
Common Wiggler

Post by dthorn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm

brokensolderingiron wrote:
dthorn wrote:
It's nice if you want exactly zero modulation. Finding the zero point on an attenuvertor is a pain in the arse.
I was talking about using synths, not building them.

JediDJ
Common Wiggler

Post by JediDJ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 am

I think in 2030 it will be VSTis all over !

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:11 pm

So looking forward to this.

Not sure which one I want more- the MS-101 or this!

Love the color of it, layout seems neat and modular friendly.

Not too sure of the name, though- wonder what's going on with the marketing team at Behringer.

"Ok guys, we really want them to crave this synth, so we have to come up with a catchy name- anyone?"
"I may have something..."

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:45 pm

[video][/video]

A friend of mine had one of those 20 years ago and made cassette-only noise releases with it. An odd beast to be sure. (The synth, not him). I hope he still has it.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:33 am

tenembre wrote:[video][/video]

A friend of mine had one of those 20 years ago and made cassette-only noise releases with it. An odd beast to be sure. (The synth, not him). I hope he still has it.
yeah, no one else can, or will do these. Hope they have a Maxi-Korg 800DV as well, love mine, my favorite but a new version would be great to keep that design alive. Roland designs(IMHO) really got boring after the jup-8, they were on a decline, but the JP-8 was great, still didn't sound as good as earlier synths, they were now making synths for pop artists, whether they liked it or not?

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 am

thetwlo wrote: Hope they have a Maxi-Korg 800DV as well, love mine, my favorite but a new version would be great to keep that design alive.
Dear god I hope not. Seeing as Korg still uses the 700s filter in modern volca's maybe they have a current design patent. I love mine too :)
www.karlojanpa.com - film composing
https://www.youtube.com/user/jabberwalky/ - Synth demos and more

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm

MindMachine wrote:Prediction for next NAMM: Behringer will knock off something that has been in development for a year by another company and release it before the actual innovators do.

Or is this deja vu?

Can't wait for the Behringer Buchla!!!
Gimme a Behringer Subharmonicon and I’ll be happy. Moog schmoog.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 am

brokensolderingiron wrote:
dthorn wrote:
The 2 back to back diode trick works fine if your source is a ± DC voltage, doesn't work for dynamic sources as it'll distort the modulation signal.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Decdog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Decdog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Quick and noob-ish question, but there doesn't seem to be a control for the LFO depth, only the rate? Am I missing something?

thanks

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Decdog wrote:Quick and noob-ish question, but there doesn't seem to be a control for the LFO depth, only the rate? Am I missing something?

thanks
let me check the Moog mother 32 to answer that question.

The moog mother 32 has a vco mod amount knob and that knob can be assigned to the low frequency oscillator.

There is also a VCF mod amount knob that can be assigned to the LFO.

The Behringer product should be exactly the same.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 am

Behringer has teased maybe half a dozen products since, but I haven’t heard anything about the Crave since February. Lol

Return to “General Gear”