Sold a few synths and can't decide what to add to my setup..

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Birth_Chord

Sold a few synths and can't decide what to add to my setup..

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Right now I've got an OB-6, Rev 2 16 voice, Digitakt, and my Fender Strat....
I sold two synths and have roughly $1,500 max I could spend... I'd rather not buy many smaller synths as I prefer to keep things simple and only own a few...

I feel a strong desire to go modular but I don't think the time is right...

Synths I've considered:

- Novation Peak : Yes more poly overkill, but I've simply always wanted one.

- Moog Subsequent 37 : Obvious bass reasons.

- MatrixBrute : Seen people recommend this but I don't really think it's my style... Not sure I'd utilize more than 5-10% of its capabilities.

- Kilpatrick Phenol : Sounds great and I love the "complete modular package"

- 0-Coast and Blofeld : I have effects so the 0-Coast's self contained unit looks very nice and I could easily snag a Blofeld for the digital side of things.

- Modular... Errrrr. I don't want to but... maybe I have to?

Either I settle on something in the next few days or I stock that money away for next year. Any suggestions?

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Get a behringer neutron, 0-coast, or ms20 mini. Then decide if you really want to go modular from there.
https://www.youtube.com/c/fortressofsound/ - Synth demos and other absurd nonsense

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

some unique outboard effects would take what you have for miles. If you just want Moog bass maybe a used slim phatty or minitaur.

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:57 pm

I vote Sub37 based on what you've already got. The Peak is tempting but you seem to have your poly pretty well covered.

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Dreadbox Erebus v3, vermona perFourmer.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

roger wrote:Dreadbox Erebus v3, vermona perFourmer.
Perhaps the Erebus/Hypnosis combo would be solid.
Last edited by Birth_Chord on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

You have two DSI/Sequential polysynths, so I'd be trying to find a Roland-ish monosynth. The SH09 and some of it's brethren can be had for less than $1500. You mention the Subsequent 37 but I have to say I find it to be pretty bland sounding, and one of the least fun analog synths Moog has made in recent history.
There are just way too many buttons and knobs to be able to just 'play'.
I find the Grandmother and the Sub Fatty to be better sounding and better fo usability.

JediDJ
Common Wiggler

Post by JediDJ » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Maybe you should consider buying a digital synth ?
Because you already have 2 analog synths.
FM or Additive, VA, Wavetable...

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Gearslutz will have all the answers !
Modular.
Errrrr. I don't want to but... maybe I have to?
To do what?

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

JediDJ wrote:Maybe you should consider buying a digital synth ?
Because you already have 2 analog synths.
FM or Additive, VA, Wavetable...
That’s why I stuck the Peak in there, I figured it could do most of that decently even though it’s not VA... I had a Digitone but sold it, I couldn’t milk the sounds I wanted from it’s heavy menus.

Any other suggestions? I know the Reface line has a solid FM synth.

Modor has always interested me. Same with Ambika.

mountainroad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mountainroad » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm

I don't want to
Because of financial reasons, or I can imagine it would make your setup too complicated?

If I were in your position, I would definitely stay away from another polysynth, considering you only want to own a handful pieces of gear. Having more flexibility would be nice, I would definitely think about a semi-modular synth.. Perhaps a Moog Grandmother, snug some mono sounds in there!

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:29 pm

mountainroad wrote:
I don't want to
Because of financial reasons, or I can imagine it would make your setup too complicated?

If I were in your position, I would definitely stay away from another polysynth, considering you only want to own a handful pieces of gear. Having more flexibility would be nice, I would definitely think about a semi-modular synth.. Perhaps a Moog Grandmother, snug some mono sounds in there!
A bit of both. As long as it’s a contained unit I’d be ok.. Maybe the small skiff from Make Noise plus some modules... you think I could do a decent setup for $1,500?

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:32 pm

MFB Dominion 1!

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm

andybizarre wrote:MFB Dominion 1!
Definitely not the first time I’ve seen this suggestion! :)

How is the Dominion X comparatively?

powertran
Common Wiggler

Post by powertran » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm

If you play the guitar, how about an Organelle?

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:

It`s easily the cheapest, full-of-character 3 VCO mono synth out there. They don`t pop up very often 2nd hand over here anymore, usually they went for 400-600 bucks (depending on the SED filter. I own the non-SED version and like it even better because the filter doesn`t sound vanilla at all.)

The Dominion 1 is just another league in terms of synthesis features, build quality and external patching.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:04 pm

powertran wrote:If you play the guitar, how about an Organelle?
Never heard of it but their product demo video was great! A slight bit of overlap with my Digitakt though.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:14 pm

andybizarre wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:

It`s easily the cheapest, full-of-character 3 VCO mono synth out there. They don`t pop up very often 2nd hand over here anymore, usually they went for 400-600 bucks (depending on the SED filter. I own the non-SED version and like it even better because the filter doesn`t sound vanilla at all.)

The Dominion 1 is just another league in terms of synthesis features, build quality and external patching.
There’s a Dominion X for around $900 maybe I’ll make an offer.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm

I hate to be that guy but, "What exactly are you lacking at the moment?" There are tons of great things to suggest, but it's hard to get a read on what you're looking to do, and what you can't do right now with what you have.

1. What style of music are you looking to create?
2. What do you think is lacking most out of your current setup?
3. What synths did you sell recently? Would help to know what you didn't jive with and why.

The OB-6 and Digitakt cover a lot of ground. Mix that with a nice guitar and you could do a lot... Maybe you need a good looper or something that would help tie what you have together a bit better? Or maybe you really do need another voice to add to the mix, but it's hard to know what on what you have listed here.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:13 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:I hate to be that guy but, "What exactly are you lacking at the moment?" There are tons of great things to suggest, but it's hard to get a read on what you're looking to do, and what you can't do right now with what you have.

3. What synths did you sell recently? Would help to know what you didn't jive with and why.

The OB-6 and Digitakt cover a lot of ground. Mix that with a nice guitar and you could do a lot... Maybe you need a good looper or something that would help tie what you have together a bit better? Or maybe you really do need another voice to add to the mix, but it's hard to know what on what you have listed here.
I like unique sounds, but they have to be musical and tasteful. For instance Tool is my favorite band. They have such an identifiable sound to me, utterly unique I can hear from a mile away, from the bass to guitar to synth backgrounds. I know Adam Jones uses a Virus almost always.

Right now I’m eyeballing the combo of 0-Coast and Erebus V3 as to not go fully modular yet. I’d snag the Dominion but only the X is around and I don’t really like getting recently discontinued products.

Yes, the OB-6 and Rev2 combo sounds stunning. Like buttercream icing on a red velvet cake, but I need a bit of... crunch in there too, like Carvel crunchies in the ice cream cake. No this isn’t referencing aggressive sounds or distortion, just a bit of contrast.

Sold : Digitone - FM + menu diving definitely not my thing for creating my own patches. Sub Phatty - too aggressive for me most of the time. I don’t want to work to milk creamy sounds from it, and varied creamy sounds not just the same few over and over by doing a few tricks.
Last edited by Birth_Chord on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:I hate to be that guy but, "What exactly are you lacking at the moment?" There are tons of great things to suggest, but it's hard to get a read on what you're looking to do, and what you can't do right now with what you have.

I like unique sounds, but they have to be musical and tasteful. For instance Tool is my favorite band. They have such an identifiable sound to me, utterly unique I can hear from a mile away, from the bass to guitar to synth backgrounds. I know Adam Jones uses a Virus almost always.

Right now I’m eyeballing the combo of 0-Coast and Erebus V3 as to not go fully modular yet. I’d snag the Dominion but only the X is around and I don’t really like getting recently discontinued products.

Yes, the OB-6 and Rev2 combo sounds stunning. Like buttercream icing on a red velvet cake, but I need a bit of... crunch in there too, like Carvel crunchies in the ice cream cake. No this isn’t referencing aggressive sounds or distortion, just a bit of contrast.
You probably could do with some aggression. Maybe even some randomness, if that appeals to you.

Is your workflow computer based? Or are you sequencing everything from the Digitakt?
Last edited by LameAim on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm

LameAim wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:

You probably could do with some aggression. Maybe even some randomness, if that appeals to you.

Is your workflow computer based? Or are you sequencing everything from the Digitakt?
It’s quite varied depending on how I feel. It’s basically 50/50 as to whether my DAW is open. I majored in computer engineering so I dabbled in both computers and electronics and never grew to like one more than the other lol.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Gotcha.

Additional note... if you're close to plunging into Eurorack with both feet, the Arturia Minibrute 2/S bundle deal might be worth a look. You get the Minibrute, 6U case and a travel bag for $800.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... nd-noodles

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:40 pm

LameAim wrote:Gotcha.

Additional note... if you're close to plunging into Eurorack with both feet, the Arturia Minibrute 2/S bundle deal might be worth a look. You get the Minibrute, 6U case and a travel bag for $800.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... nd-noodles
Hmm that is a good deal. The 2S was actually the only thing I considered trading my Sub Phatty for when I was offered it...

If I were to dive into Euro though I think I’d snag the 0-Coast, Make Noise Skiff and the Wasp filter module and go from there!

Josef_K
Common Wiggler

Post by Josef_K » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 am

Get a semi-modular synth, then you can keep one foot in euro-land for as long as you like. I sold my Little Phatty and got a Grandmother and it's glorious. Such a great sound, and one thst complements your polys very well. But if you don't like/need the Moog sound and/or don't want/need a keyboard you could go for the Erebus, 0-coast, Nyx and so on :)

Return to “General Gear”