Sold a few synths and can't decide what to add to my setup..

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

JediDJ
Common Wiggler

Post by JediDJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 am

I think all these suggestions don't make sense.
Because nobody except you really knows what you like and what you need.
Different people have different hearing angle. It's prooved.
And .... even one person.... through the years, can change his habbits and tastes.

So..... if you're not living in a cave, go to a proper music hardware store and just play out. Spin the cuttofs, listen to the sounds....
Because that's the only WAY !

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 am

JediDJ wrote:I think all these suggestions don't make sense.
Because nobody except you really knows what you like and what you need.
Different people have different hearing angle. It's prooved.
And .... even one person.... through the years, can change his habbits and tastes.

So..... if you're not living in a cave, go to a proper music hardware store and just play out. Spin the cuttofs, listen to the sounds....
Because that's the only WAY !
Pretty hard with my schedule and where I live. Within at least an hours driving radius the only synth I’ve seen in a store was a Minilogue at a Guitar Center.

Also the 0-Coast doesn’t have a filter unless I’m mistaken which is one of my top choices currently. I don’t think twiddling with her in the store would do much justice. Many people rave about it.

mountainroad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mountainroad » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 am

you think I could do a decent setup for $1,500?
If you don't spend too much on the case you could build a small rack w/ complementary modules with that money for sure! Still have to build my own case so I'm also still investigating, but after doing some research here and on modulargrid I'm pretty sure you could build something nice.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:20 pm

Just a slight update for anyone interested in my mundane happenings. I feel I have been killing it musically and... ironically, I am going to return my OB-6 once and for all (...for now) ... I can't stand the DSI quality control, it's appalling. I mean just embarrassing really compared to many synths I've played the past few years.

I had an exchange on backorder, I got my new one a week ago, brought it inside and went on vacation, finally got to testing it today, it has even worse issues than the first! And it's brand new from the factory, like steaming fresh. Every single selector pot... I'd say at least every 10-15 clicks, will either jump random values while increasing/decreasing in single increments, or straight up not work for 6+ clicks. I've tested it over and over and I just can't, my OCD won't let me for $2,000...

I love the sound so much but I'm not a producer, or professional studio, or wealthy enough to drop it on this. I'm just a 25 year old that loves music and has been involved for 16+ years... I need something with more utility for that price and build quality I guess...

Side note, I dusted off my saxophone from high school. I picked up a Zoom H6 to sample things into my Digitakt which has been excellent, bit crushed an African flute and some maracas I got from Disney and made a main hook from it already. I think once I return the OB-6 I'm going to snag a new Fender Strat (my main is at least 10 years old now) and perhaps a Digitone.

Maybe in a year or so, I'll give the OB-6 keyboard version a try... I have a feeling perhaps it's a bit better quality? Oh well... I will miss you OB-6, until I inevitably purchase you again, hopefully with less issues.

No... No modular yet!

Edit: Shit... who am I kidding, I can't get rid of this thing. I'd sell a kidney for it, we're all terminally ill anyway and life is short. A day without an OB-6 is like a day without water... Sigh... Gonna just have to complain to Sequential about that QC and maybe send it in.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Back to the drawing boards... again....

Just sold my Rev 2 16 voice

Current setup : Octatrack MKII, OB-6, Peak, Sub Phatty and my Fender Strat, Zoom H6 recorder, and a variety of acoustic instruments.

I’ve got a nice chunk lying around now from selling the Rev 2 at no loss, considering picking up a Digitone. Also considered an 0-Coast but I don’t think it’d add much to my performance setup. The Digitone at least offers 8 voices, sound locks and four tracks, could be nice to sample into my OT...

The Juno 106 is also enticing.. it’d be my first venture into vintage gear.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I just bought a new coffee grinder with a bit of the Rev 2 sale money and feel quite content... lol. I’m having a bit of difficulty deciding between a live setup, a studio setup, or something in between but I’d have to be able to play anything I record adequately live, and I don’t have a laptop...

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:Back to the drawing boards... again....

Current setup : Octatrack MKII, OB-6, Peak, Sub Phatty and my Fender Strat, Zoom H6 recorder, and a variety of acoustic instruments.

I’ve got a nice chunk lying around now from selling the Rev 2 at no loss, considering picking up a Digitone. Also considered an 0-Coast but I don’t think it’d add much to my performance setup. The Digitone at least offers 8 voices, sound locks and four tracks, could be nice to sample into my OT...

Any suggestions? Otherwise I just bought a new coffee grinder with a bit of the Rev 2 sale money and feel quite content... lol. I’m having a bit of difficulty deciding between a live setup, a studio setup, or something in between but I’d have to be able to play anything I record adequately live, and I don’t have a laptop...
Chill out for a minute and enjoy some delicious coffee while you make music! Also, I should also take my own advice.

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 am

I see no reason for you to buy something extra.

But if you really want to, buy something where the core sound makes you drool.
The core sound of a synth is, 1 oscillator through the filter and vca, nothing else.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 am

I would save my money until something really sparked my interest.
Birth_Chord wrote: Edit: Shit... who am I kidding, I can't get rid of this thing. I'd sell a kidney for it, we're all terminally ill anyway and life is short. A day without an OB-6 is like a day without water... Sigh... Gonna just have to complain to Sequential about that QC and maybe send it in.
What is the issue with your ob6? I was going to buy one this summer after years of wanting one. Yours in the 3rd QC complaint I read this week and now I'm scared.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 am

Zube wrote:I would save my money until something really sparked my interest.
Birth_Chord wrote: Edit: Shit... who am I kidding, I can't get rid of this thing. I'd sell a kidney for it, we're all terminally ill anyway and life is short. A day without an OB-6 is like a day without water... Sigh... Gonna just have to complain to Sequential about that QC and maybe send it in.
What is the issue with your ob6? I was going to buy one this summer after years of wanting one. Yours in the 3rd QC complaint I read this week and now I'm scared.
The rotary encoders with stepping (clicks), every single one, doesn’t matter what it’s controlling as long as you can see some sort of “value change” be it an LED selector or numerical, will randomly jump values other than one when incrementing/decrementing or completely stop working for upwards of 10 clicks. I can capture a video of it every time. So far I’ve sent two separate ones to Sequential and the latter requested I unplug all peripherals and the peripherals obviously weren’t the problem.

It sounds absolutely amazing, but the QC of the instrument, and especially the feel of the knobs which is the main synth interface, feel worse than Chinese. I mean the Peak is made in China and it feels like a tank. I’d cost the OB-6 knobs at less than 1 cent for all of them, it feels like you’re turning air (not the resistance, the weight/solidity of them).

I dunno, for $2k it feels like shit in my hands material wise, but sounds cosmic.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:27 am

hinterlands303 wrote:

Chill out for a minute and enjoy some delicious coffee while you make music! Also, I should also take my own advice.
Lol I feel you... it always seems like there’s something that can “improve” my setup but the only thing that will do so is practice, through my recent maneuvering though I did save a decent chunk of cash once I realized I had some redundancy.

Ah well time to start my whole EP over once my Octatrack gets here... Shame I couldn’t just Sysex most of the info from my Digitakt to the Octatrack arriving Tuesday.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 am

Birth_Chord wrote:
hinterlands303 wrote:

Lol I feel you... it always seems like there’s something that can “improve” my setup but the only thing that will do so is practice, through my recent maneuvering though I did save a decent chunk of cash once I realized I had some redundancy.

Ah well time to start my whole EP over once my Octatrack gets here... Shame I couldn’t just Sysex most of the info from my Digitakt to the Octatrack arriving Tuesday.
I also made a switch from the Digitakt to the Octatrack and I've been really happy with the decision - especially for live use. There is a learning curve which is all the more reason not to get another new machine with it's own workflow etc. until you've gotten comfortable with it. The Elektronauts forum has lots of great info for Octatrack users so make sure to head over there and soak it up.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 am

@hinterlands303 I agree about waiting for something that catches my eye and the Digitone does. It was basically the device that got me back into production, and I sold it because I thought the Digitakt would suit me better, and it did, but the best combo I can conceive of includes the Octatrack and Digitone.

The DN is the only thing I’ve ever sold that I miss. It’s the best synthesis based groovebox there is IMO, and a very nice 8 voice synth in general.

This right here is what originally sold me. It’s the best track I’ve heard from a single device and sometime I’ll have a Digitone again, I personally love that genre/sound though, so it could be just me but it sounds like it’s oozing with emotion. It has a huge low end for how few voices are in the range.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 am

Octatrack arrives today. I’m honesty considering selling my OB-6 since I can now adequately sample my favorite synths and saving up to get into...

Modular....

Perhaps I’ll forget about the Digitone and dive right into a modular setup. Mainly wanted the DN to sequence and sample drum patterns and having owned on in the past it’s excellent for it.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:02 am

Do you play keyboard or do you use sequencers?
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. you gonna talk about tolerance or are you gonna demonstrate authentic tolerance?
.. dominion (noun): control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ...... power .......... power.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:16 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Do you play keyboard or do you use sequencers?
I've utilized keyboards for around 15 years so regarding dexterity, I can get pretty much anything down if I practice it a bit... Improvisation wise, heck no, I'm a guitar player, but I was band captain in high school and would frequently use synthesizers throughout college.

Never done any sort of keys practice so I'm at an in between where I should either officially learn piano and keys (I can already read a grand staff) or just get more involved with my programming....

I received my Octatrack last week and it's completely changed what I feel I need for my setup.

I just put my Moog Sub Phatty and Novation Peak up for sale... Once they sell all I will have left is my DAW, Octatrack MKII and Digitone... From there I will either purchase an MFB Dominion 1 or put all my sales money towards beginning my first modular synth. The reason I want to begin my modular synth finally is because of what you asked, I'm not really an evolved keys player and I think my music would benefit far more from sampling experimentation than lackluster keys jamming + playing my main instrument which is guitar.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:28 am

Buy twice as much cabinet space as you reckon you actually need. Same with power system ... work out what you think you'll need (power wise) then double that figure.

While you are spec'ing out/buying/building your cabinet and power system (power supply, distribution system, and module power cables), buy a small "uZeus" PSU/Soft Bus to give you something to fiddle around with while you're putting the synth together.

COMMIT! Just put your hesitations behind you and commit to building a modular. But do not short-sell your system and go with crap-ass power and cabinet. To start out with, go with a used "Happy Ending Kit" from TipTopAudio as a TEMPORARY power system while you accumulate a few modules, your "real" cabinet, and a really solid power system.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cookiemonster:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. you gonna talk about tolerance or are you gonna demonstrate authentic tolerance?
.. dominion (noun): control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ...... power .......... power.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Buy twice as much cabinet space as you reckon you actually need. Same with power system ... work out what you think you'll need (power wise) then double that figure.

While you are spec'ing out/buying/building your cabinet and power system (power supply, distribution system, and module power cables), buy a small "uZeus" PSU/Soft Bus to give you something to fiddle around with while you're putting the synth together.

COMMIT! Just put your hesitations behind you and commit to building a modular. But do not short-sell your system and go with crap-ass power and cabinet. To start out with, go with a used "Happy Ending Kit" from TipTopAudio as a TEMPORARY power system while you accumulate a few modules, your "real" cabinet, and a really solid power system.

How about starting with the Pittsburgh Modular Structure 270? I figured I’d just buy a premade case with power for my first... the three gangs would allow some combination of premade/DIY gangs of modules.

My soldering iron from college is shit so I’ll have to get a hot air reflow station before I start building my DIY modules.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm just going to reiterate rex's suggestion. if you think you need a ep 270 then go with an ep 420. it really is amazing how quickly those hp's fill up.

i bought an ep-420 and had over 100hp free when i ordered it. with a 3 week wait time, i was short 80hp by the time i received. haha.
you will end up paying more in time and money chasing more hp because you didn't buy a large enough case the first time around.

Birth_Chord wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:Buy twice as much cabinet space as you reckon you actually need. Same with power system ... work out what you think you'll need (power wise) then double that figure.

How about starting with the Pittsburgh Modular Structure 270? I figured I’d just buy a premade case with power for my first... the three gangs would allow some combination of premade/DIY gangs of modules.

My soldering iron from college is shit so I’ll have to get a hot air reflow station before I start building my DIY modules.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 pm

@rean1mator

Hmm alright, I don't plan on filling it THAT quickly but I do plan on making it as equally the centerpiece of my setup as the Octatrack and Digitone combo are... I also just don't have the cash to shell out but for maybe 3/4 of a gang on the 270 getting bare bones modules like aquad attenuator, Plaits, a filter, etc... But that's why I went with the 270 in the first place, seemed like an investment that'd hold me over for quite a while but if the 420 is what you say then so be it.

Return to “General Gear”