ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Well they're in the hands of beta testers now so the last 24 hours the demos have been coming quickly. Which also suggests that getting up and running isn't going to be difficult.



And Brad has done an hour video going over features. At this point I'm fairly convinced this is going to be a fantastic sampler.

It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm

I think we are getting close to shipping - very excited about this one and wanted to resurrect this thread :party:

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Illwiggle » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:15 am

tigerhill wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
I think we are getting close to shipping - very excited about this one and wanted to resurrect this thread :party:
Yep, super pumped on this... I love how open ended Brad’s made it. Seems like the HW sampler workstation A LOT of us have been wanting for a long time. It seems very open ended in design yet, and simple to grasp workflow.

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Suhlendorf

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:36 am

Illwiggle wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:15 am
tigerhill wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
I think we are getting close to shipping - very excited about this one and wanted to resurrect this thread :party:
Yep, super pumped on this... I love how open ended Brad’s made it. Seems like the HW sampler workstation A LOT of us have been wanting for a long time. It seems very open ended in design yet, and simple to grasp workflow.
I like the old-fashioned look and probably feel of it. Also, judging from the video and without knowing how easily one would get near that with other, devices the sound.

Out of genuine interest and honestly without any negative thougths or attitude, what is it that makes it the hardware sampler you have been wanting for a long time, compared to the usual suspects by NI, Akai, Elektron or even modern oddities like Polyend and 1010music?

It is a bit on the more expensive side but still reachable, so I am keeping an eye on it as I feel a little anachronistic with my SU700. It's just that I am not sure what it has apart from a probably very nice sounding sound coloring.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:57 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:36 am
It's just that I am not sure what it has apart from a probably very nice sounding sound coloring.
I think it's the sound and also the workflow / limitations ... it's hard to explain but years ago (decades) I had a turbo SP-12, and man, it was one of the machines that I had the most fun ... also more productivity ...

I never had the manual and never needed it ... the machine was SO intuitive
Watching this video I saw a lot of this on the S2400, also with very nice improvements that don't interfere with the original approach.

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 am

yeah I think there are 3 things that make this very attractive to me which are always my priority when assessing gear:

1. Work flow/ easy and intuitive
2. Sound and Groove
3. High quality components with modern accessibility
tigerhill wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
I think we are getting close to shipping - very excited about this one and wanted to resurrect this thread :party:
Did you preoder before Jan 2020? you should be in the first batch.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 pm

syzygywell wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 am
yeah I think there are 3 things that make this very attractive to me which are always my priority when assessing gear:

1. Work flow/ easy and intuitive
2. Sound and Groove
3. High quality components with modern accessibility
tigerhill wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
I think we are getting close to shipping - very excited about this one and wanted to resurrect this thread :party:
Did you preoder before Jan 2020? you should be in the first batch.
Sorry for the slow response - yea I drunkenly bought it in June of 2019 so I should definitely be in the first batch which is cool. It has been a cool journey the way Brad has handled it sharing the progress so frequently. I haven't been a part of any Kickstarter or anything like that before

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 pm

Me either. I've never put money towards something that was in pre production. But every choice he has made has really pleased me. I liked what I saw so much that I bought two. Funny enough I bought the first one drunkenly as well. The second one I was sober.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am

Just got my shipping notification. Excite... :goo:

Also basic wave forms and HP and BP were added to the recent updates.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

User avatar
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Florida

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Modulus » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:45 pm

:sb:


User avatar
neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by neonmercury1 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:44 pm

:rastanana: has to be the best teaser for a manual that i have seen in a while :rastanana:

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:23 pm

syzygywell wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am
Just got my shipping notification. Excite... :goo:

Also basic wave forms and HP and BP were added to the recent updates.
Nice!

When did you order? What’s your order number if you don’t mind

Cheers

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm

the only thing that stoped me to bought it is the fact that each channel is mono...I´m tired of mono samplers...there is no excuse to not have the option of stereo samples in 2020...in early communication Isla said that you can link 2 channel to work in stereo, but since there is just 8 tracks, I can´t accept this as a real solution

the rest of the machine is just great...and the ones with black side panels is gorgeous :love:
damn, this pics almost got me
120542207_3671523289545990_8990018294781833978_o.jpg
120562247_3671523299545989_3175115679561353400_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 pm

anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm
the only thing that stoped me to bought it is the fact that each channel is mono...I´m tired of mono samplers...
this thing is NOT a sampler in the sense of what a SAMPLER is or is supposed to be.

it is a DRUM machine which generally is a device that uses the sounds of monophonic sources to create a stereo image of a percussion ensemble of instruments.
:party:
YES...it does sample.
but it is a drum machine.
it is NOT an LD3, ASR-10, Akai S1000, etc., etc.
:lol:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 pm
anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm
the only thing that stoped me to bought it is the fact that each channel is mono...I´m tired of mono samplers...
this thing is NOT a sampler in the sense of what a SAMPLER is or is supposed to be.

it is a DRUM machine which generally is a device that uses the sounds of monophonic sources to create a stereo image of a percussion ensemble of instruments.
:party:
YES...it does sample.
but it is a drum machine.
it is NOT an LD3, ASR-10, Akai S1000, etc., etc.
:lol:
maybe in 1988, man
is like say that the SP-1200 is just a drum machine...c´mon
you are ignoring a zillion tracks made with machines like this, sampling anything, drums and whatever, making basslines and melodies using the faders as pitch control...I did it for years with a SP-12 and it´s a joy to use...and yes, at the time I missed stereo too, but there was 1995 and I had no money for a stereo sampler

AND, if you decide to use it just as a drum machine, there is a bunch of drum samples that sounds way better in stereo


Other than that, I think there is no excuse for a mono sampler in 2020... give use the choose, then, if you still want mono samples and to create the stereo image with panning at the mix, then do it and have fun

User avatar
LameAim
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Age of Anchors

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by LameAim » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:25 am

There’s actually 32 tracks and 8 notes of polyphony.

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:13 am


Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2092
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:41 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm
maybe in 1988, man
is like say that the SP-1200 is just a drum machine...c´mon
you are ignoring a zillion tracks made with machines like this, sampling anything, drums and whatever, making basslines and melodies using the faders as pitch control...I did it for years with a SP-12 and it´s a joy to use...and yes, at the time I missed stereo too, but there was 1995 and I had no money for a stereo sampler
yes, of course. But it was designed to be a drum machine, not the all-in-one composition tool that made it famous. So it's an interesting scenario that we want a machine that advances on how we used it, not what it was designed to do. (I do agree that it should have stereo as default, but just thinking about this more broadly.)

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:53 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:41 am
anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm
maybe in 1988, man
is like say that the SP-1200 is just a drum machine...c´mon
you are ignoring a zillion tracks made with machines like this, sampling anything, drums and whatever, making basslines and melodies using the faders as pitch control...I did it for years with a SP-12 and it´s a joy to use...and yes, at the time I missed stereo too, but there was 1995 and I had no money for a stereo sampler
yes, of course. But it was designed to be a drum machine, not the all-in-one composition tool that made it famous. So it's an interesting scenario that we want a machine that advances on how we used it, not what it was designed to do. (I do agree that it should have stereo as default, but just thinking about this more broadly.)
again : the original was designed with this in mind...today, you can´t think that after all this years the S-2400 was designed to be just a drum machine...and even as a drum machine I see no point in make it unable to handle stereo samples

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:00 am

LameAim wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:25 am
There’s actually 32 tracks and 8 notes of polyphony.
yes, my concern is about polyphony reduced with stereo use

User avatar
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm

anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 pm
anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm
the only thing that stoped me to bought it is the fact that each channel is mono...I´m tired of mono samplers...
this thing is NOT a sampler in the sense of what a SAMPLER is or is supposed to be.

it is a DRUM machine which generally is a device that uses the sounds of monophonic sources to create a stereo image of a percussion ensemble of instruments.
:party:
YES...it does sample.
but it is a drum machine.
it is NOT an LD3, ASR-10, Akai S1000, etc., etc.
:lol:
maybe in 1988, man
is like say that the SP-1200 is just a drum machine...c´mon
you are ignoring a zillion tracks made with machines like this, sampling anything, drums and whatever, making basslines and melodies using the faders as pitch control...I did it for years with a SP-12 and it´s a joy to use...and yes, at the time I missed stereo too, but there was 1995 and I had no money for a stereo sampler

AND, if you decide to use it just as a drum machine, there is a bunch of drum samples that sounds way better in stereo


Other than that, I think there is no excuse for a mono sampler in 2020... give use the choose, then, if you still want mono samples and to create the stereo image with panning at the mix, then do it and have fun
you are a few years off...it was 1985.
and i still use my SP-12 today.
:razz:
i'm not ignoring the fact of all of the hordes of tracks made with these so called "limited" mono-samplers.
i'm just stating the fact that complaining about this machine being designed as a future version (albeit strabgely so) as an ode to the original Drum Machine.

in 1993 i was working in a music store so i was able to buy an ASR-10.
did the stereo sampling make for a big WOW issue? for about a minute and then...no...it did not.
did the stereo capability create an arena for weird noiz phase and such? yes...very cool.
but...that is NOT what this machine is.
yeah...so i'm debating that it's being sold as a DRUM machine...which it is...and in this day and age it probably could or should have something like stereo sampling.

but...in the words of Zappa:
"It doesn't, 'n you can't!
I won't, 'n it don't!
It hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't
:lol:

and for example...the OP-1 does what it does and it is quite only limited in it's application by those who choose to use it.
:mrgreen:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:17 am

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm

but...in the words of Zappa:
"It doesn't, 'n you can't!
I won't, 'n it don't!
It hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't
:lol:
do you feel lucky?
well...do you, punk?
índice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm
Location: Houston

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 am

Drum machine is commonly used to describe an instrument that creates sounds on its own.
Sampler describes a machine that records and plays back audio files - quite often of drum sounds but also of loops and melodic sounds.

The S2400 is pretty obviously a sampler and calling it a drum machine would be misleading.

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:02 am

It’s a groovedrumsampleboxmachine. It has limitations, it looks fun and no doubt a ton can be done with it.

I wish I would have pre-ordered but it wasn’t fleshed out enough for me to back at that time. Now that the price has increased, I do want to see the midi sequencing functionality before I take a chance on it.

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:11 am

We're now creating the revision 2 Audio engine board. and we've made some hefty changes to this one.
Here's what we're working on for the next version of the board.
- Stereo Line in w/ integrated phono pre-amp (switchable between original analogue input antialiasing filters, or 'direct')
- Stereo Mix out
- Adjacent channels can be 'linked' to play back stereo files.
Stereo was added over a year ago with the redesign of the engine.

@Zombylover Brad has asked that we not share our order numbers on public forums. The first 75 units only covered the first day and a half of orders though. I know of a few people who ordered on the 18th of June and they were not in that very first shipment
Last edited by syzygywell on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”